test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Adding STO to steam

admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
Ok For you Steam users out there. I just downloaded Steam and am wondering if there is a way to get it to recognize my current install of STO Without having to re install it. I normally run it from Arc but since I had to download it for something else. I thought I would add STO to it as well.
fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
@ren_larreck
Post edited by admrenlarreck on

Comments

• gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There should be an option on Steam somewhere about adding existing game.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, you can link the .exe to Steam... but it's probably not going to recognize it in the same way as the Steam download. It probably won't react to it the same way as the Steam STO... it'll probably just handle it like any .exe that you didn't get through Steam.

Under the "Games" menu item at the top...
    Click "Add a Non-Steam Game..."

I don't know if your Arc version requires Arc in some way to launch. Otherwise, Steam should be able to launch the .exe

Of course, I run STO through Steam. I don't know how Steam and Arc would interact for certain.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I dont see anything like that. I see add non steam game but then I have to manually add in a shortcut, I doubt that would allow me to by the Steamrunner pack though.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

@ren_larreck
  • idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think they should release a Linux version of STO on Steam. Steam is on Linux now. I would think it would be the perfect time to move over.
    ZNju0ze.jpg
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited March 2015
    I dont see anything like that. I see add non steam game but then I have to manually add in a shortcut, I doubt that would allow me to by the Steamrunner pack though.

Yes. You have to add it manually.

Steam isn't going to recognize the Arc STO. It's a different install, and it will probably handle it like any other non-Steam install.

As for the Steamrunner pack... I think that's just a key. It doesn't actually modify the Steam install. You can probably log it in like any other key.

Of course, with the advent of T6, why get the Steamrunner pack?
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why get it? ehh I dont have that ship.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

@ren_larreck
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes, you can add it to Steam and have Steam recognize it.

1. Locate your install directory for STO and make a note of it.

2. Go to your Steam install Directory (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam.

3. Navigate to SteamApps\Common directory. You will see all of your installed Steam Games here.

4. Move your STO install Directory to SteamApps\Common.

5. Launch Steam, go to the Store Page for Star Trek Online and click 'Install Game.' Steam will see the game already there, and will verify files grab a few small files and add STO to your Steam Library.

Moving the directory will cause Arc to no longer see the game.

Method to have Steam and Arc both see the game: (Easiest Way.)

1. Launch Steam, go to STO page and click 'Install Game.'

2. During the install, select that you wish to change the install directory path and point it to your current install directory. Steam will see the files there, verify them and add STO to your Library.

You can now launch STO through Steam, through Arc, or as a Stand Alone by simply running the .exe file.
    Insert witty signature line here.