test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do I deal with Borg Shield Drain

thfinalnightmarethfinalnightmare Member Posts: 27 Arc User
Most PvE I don't have any trouble with but the Borg rip-down my shields instantly with some drain attack then catch me in a tractor beam. Flying a zippy destroyer this proves fatal nearly every time, is there anyway to counter this BS?
Post edited by thfinalnightmare on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Ok, but I just wanted to know about the attack and how to counter it, is there an item or skill the lessens shield drain?
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Some pretty BS changes to the way NPCs use Tachyon Beam were implemented recently. Unless they revert them and fix the problem, they're going to kill off a lot of player interest in participating in this nonsense.

How do you deal with it? You currently can't. You have to wait for a fix. If there is no fix? You still can't deal with it, as there is no viable solution that works.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ^ What Reyan said.

When you aggro the group, you get hit with all of them, so you're toast if you don't do something drastic. I would advise hitting evasives and brace for impact, then run out of 10k range to give your shield heals/cleanses a chance to work.

The people that will come along and post a long list of counters are people that don't draw aggro, so they see nothing wrong with the change. They'll just prattle on about FAW users and DPS builds finally getting their comeuppance. They'll insult your intelligence and tell you to learn to play. But what they mean is to play their way.

While I think tachy beam needed a buff, they need to make it so 7 of them don't hit a single target, or that the effect won't stack. Six in insulators should be more than enough for PvE, but against 7 drains, it does nothing, and that's what's happening to you.
  • Options
    hishman708hishman708 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    try fitting polarise hull as it will help against the tractor beams (also watch your timing when using it), also I've started fitting an extra hazard emitter for the borg stfs on certain ships to help mitigate the shield neut and plasma burn (depending on the toon in question. For example if they have reciprocity or is using aux2bat then duplication isn't really helpful).

More importantly though, watch your positioning. If you are in a zippy ship that may be a little squishy then don't wade straight in against a bunch of npcs if they can all hit you (fitting pol hull/APomega/EP2E and using strafing runs is something you could try). Try picking off the outer most enemy or one your teammates are currently attacking (thus focusing your dps) is another tactic. If you are in a bulkier ship like a cruiser, again don't fly into a clump of npcs and blaze away. Try to attack smaller groups if possible (not always possible i know). If you are experiencing heavy agro, don't be afraid to retreat to a safe distance for a few moments to heal up (pol hull/APomega will help you with this).

These small changes have helped me against the new borg tactics in the STFs.

What ship are you flying btw as other players who also fly this ship can give you more specific advice?
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    One said reliable way is to drain the Sphere Aux power to zero -- if you are able to make room for draining powers in your build. But then, that would only be a single sphere, unless you use something like Tyken's Rift, which would somehow require an AoE immobilize like Gravity Well to be effective... I don't see the average Tac player doing this.

My advice is... wait and see what Cryptic will do about it.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The only counter to the shield zap is to know it is coming and be prepared for it. How you prepare for it is p to you. Add more shield heals, get out of range to heal up, or some other response.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think sci team counters it (???) or maybe its hazard emitters? One of those I am pretty sure stops it, but if you face multiple drain enemy, it won't help much.

valdore console if you are a romulan, of course.

dps works: kill the stupid thing before your shields vanish?

temporary shields... I get one every attack pattern, rom singularity has one, there are other items and skills that can provide this bonus...

shield heals ... various

hull tank it. Polarize hull and bare hull can beat a cube if your dps is not super low. You can't do this all day but its enough to finish the fight, haz emitters healing you and maybe aux2struct?

run away! Sometimes, mashing evasive and popping out to 15K to recover is your best move. Just remember... he who fights and runs away can run away another day!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    noroblad wrote: »
    I think sci team counters it (???) or maybe its hazard emitters? One of those I am pretty sure stops it, but if you face multiple drain enemy, it won't help much.

Neither one does. HE clears the Borg Shield Neutralizer but not Tachyon Beam. Sci Team heals damage, but if you activate ST while being drained you can just watch your fresh shields drain away too.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Guess I'm not the only one struggling with this.

The shield drain alone doesn't matter. I can run and use my heals.

The tractor beam doesn't mater I can power one facing while I unload; until they let go.

Both at once sucks... but it's also decidedly Borg. They are suppose to be OP and there not doing anything they didn't in the show.

So the shield drain is going to happen and my heal options are limited by my choice in ships, but about breaking free sooner or avoiding the tractor lock all together?
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Tachyon Beam change was for the best.

You counter it with Power Insulators skill (counters power and shield drain), while Hazard Emitters cleans its effect as it is applied as a Hazard debuff.

Get polarize hull or attack pattern omega to break free from tractors.

Pesky NPCs huh
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So the shield drain is going to happen and my heal options are limited by my choice in ships, but about breaking free sooner or avoiding the tractor lock all together?

You can "break" a tractor beam a lot of ways. Evasive will give you so much turn rate and speed that you can turn and burn out of its range. Rock and roll fully loaded will get you out of it too (don't fly into the enemy or it won't work). Polarize hull will do it (it also reduces your damage taken... and its a short cooldown skill ... use it). Omega will do it (wasteful in PVE, you lose a pattern beta for this??).

TBR and GW kill the heavy borg torps (and mines, and other such things). TBR does it one the move and is a great defensive tool that can also do some good damage (even if not set up for full bore exotic).
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    tk79 wrote: »
    One said reliable way is to drain the Sphere Aux power to zero ...

You would have to do that completely before they fire the Tachyon. Abilities, once triggered, aren't affected by any later stat changes. If I dump a 100 aux GW on you, and then hit A2B, Quantum Singularity Manipulation, an Aux battery, EPTA, whatever, it doesn't care. It's still that same GW.

And draining it to 0 would be the only way to do that, because of how aux->based abilities are coded. Math behind them includes the general multiplier (50+aux power), so an ability fired at 75 aux power is only twice as effective as an ability fired at 25 aux power.

Given that spheres tend to fire tachyon the second they're aggro'd, draining does not to me thus seem to be a reasonable solution. Unless you have a killer TR that does that to all the spheres in an area and you're the only one in range firing it from EBC.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I tend to not bother with attack patterns (baring Alpha which all Tac Officers have), but I use Polarize Hull on my Tank. Can't believe I didn't know it broke tractor beams, that should really help, thanks.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jam sensors ends all hostility immediately and scramble sensors works as long as there are more than one enemy in the vicinity but doesn't nearly last as long. I love watching a little borg on borg violence. with jam sensors you can drain as much as you need to without inflicting damage (agro) and getting the full jamming time out of the ability
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »
    jam sensors ends all hostility immediately and scramble sensors works as long as there are more than one enemy in the vicinity but doesn't nearly last as long. I love watching a little borg on borg violence. with jam sensors you can drain as much as you need to without inflicting damage (agro) and getting the full jamming time out of the ability

Jam is single target so not too effective against getting aggro bombed by all the spheres. I'll try scramble but I don't think scramble has a lose target component.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Jam is single target so not too effective against getting aggro bombed by all the spheres. I'll try scramble but I don't think scramble has a lose target component.

the downside with scramble is the effective time is very short...like a few seconds...but that can be enough even at the lowest rank to have ships "blow their loads" on each other. Of course the other downside with jam sensors is its a bit selfish. you may be saved but at the expense of drawing agro to someone else.

As for lose target component only if there are multiple enemies in the vicinity. If there is a single enemy its a wasted ability.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »

Spheres, no, if it takes me longer then 30 seconds to smash a sphere I hang my head in shame, and adding more, meh.

I'm talking three cubes at once, that's what spawned this thread. Sadly I only got two science skills and I need both of them to heal my shield. Any other way to jam or polarize?
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Does anyone know if there's some interaction between shield drain and temporary HP? I seemed to get drained a lot less with Ablative Field Projector trait and Attack Pattern Expertise running.

I know Bort said something about temp HP being shield HP, but does Tachyon Beam drain the temp hp rather than my actual shields? I don't really have a way to test it myself.

Maybe Virus has some input?
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    wow just ran some normals and wow just wow, why have i got a shield equipped and skill points in Power insulators. The Borgs Tachyon beam was powerful enough before the recent update now its overkill and the skill when used by a player outside of Crystal Entity (Where it de-buffs the Entity) is still a waste of a Boff Skill Slot in PvE

At least it could force players to use skills that have become less favourable like Polarized Hull, Aux to Internia Damps, and Reverse Shield Polarity. To combat direct hits to the hull with shields gone or to get some shield power back with RSP.

With the Command ships, Command Specialization (Which few people can skill in due to skill points being as rare as a sober Irishman), Kobali set, there seems to be a emphasis on tanking.

However as DPS rules and Tanking drools, a tank cannot generate enough DPS to hold aggro and do what it is intended to do due to poor game mechanics, meaning nothing changes a DPS boat will always take aggro off any ship not hitting the enemy hard enough.

Whether the Tachyon change is working as intended or not. I think the balance for NPC's before the change was fine, They still stripped shields quick but not practically instant. Personally i think Cryptic got it wrong and Broke/Unbalanced another part of the game.

Guess thats just part of the Package where Delta Rising is concerned. If it ain't broke break it and if it's a popular map nerf it.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm fine with the buff to Tachyon Beam, though I have to admit that even though I've got at least 6 points points in power insulators my shields drain almost immediately still. If I hadn't built my ship to take at least moderate hull damage then I'd be dead outright in most encounters.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I did a few STF since last patch and the increase in effectiveness of tachyon beams hurt but at my end not to a critical point.

I find it more prudent to adjust play style a bit (as in is FAW really good idea now? can I take the pressure?) than actually investing much into my builds.

Changing the game rules at will and whenever they see fit is too less of an incentive for me to invest my dil. (why hurry to remove plasma doping when peeps can waist their dil on it for it a few months?)

If cryptic wants me to jump I just need a better reason. But then again throwing new available gear at us each season also only works up to a point.

They had to come up with something new.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ok so an important question no one has asked yet.

Which shield drain are we talking about? The Borg have 2 there's your tachyon beam and the class in shield neutralizer.

The second is cleared by hazard emitters or rally point. The first is countered by nothing direct really you just have to out last it.

Since the op said destroyer I presume he means the vet ships. Drop polarize hull in favor of either science team or transfer shield strength. Add attack pattern omega as it breaks holds. Put some points into inertial dampeners, resists holds, and you know about power insulators.

Anything's that boosts your shield regeneration rate would also help but I can assume you already have what you can.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    All true. I was just listing what you could do, not how effective it would be. End of the day run away III is your best bet.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I USED to be able to shield-tank the Tac cube - but now? Shields disappear in seconds, and in a sci ship, with a weak hull (and I am sorry, but MkXIV UR fleet Neutronium has it's limits) that's pretty fatal.

Yea same here on one of my chars. Personally I found tanking tac cubes still more or less difficult. Facing incoming tachyon beams of a handful of spheres however is hard which brings me to…
    All true. I was just listing what you could do, not how effective it would be. End of the day run away III is your best bet.

Works and not much wrong with it. Place a grav well, bring in FAW barrage and make a run for it. Usually my shilds get up fast when out of danger and I’m rdy to go in for next attack.

I really think this whole issue is more of an “adjust you play style” rather then a “invest 100k Dil in power insulating gear before cryptic change the game rules anyway again” thingy.

They also change the BO skill of VCE’s planetkiller… 5 months later…
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2015
    Most PvE I don't have any trouble with but the Borg rip-down my shields instantly with some drain attack then catch me in a tractor beam. Flying a zippy destroyer this proves fatal nearly every time, is there anyway to counter this BS?

The only counter I have found is the RSP TT combo with the RSP space duty officer

Your shields will stay on full for the 15 seconds of the TT then the facing shield to damage a bit longer

At this time its safe to use your normal shield buffs the borg TBs are in cooldown

if your using aux to batt your rsp should be almost ready for the second barrage of TB from the borg

2 epic power insulators fully speced in power insulators have little affect on the TB drain

RSP with TT is the only thing ive found to work
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So ppl identify their shields being somewhat useless. Their solution: Stack more of sh**!
    Sure that will solve it o.O

For most ppl the tractor beam is the real problem. Sitting there not moving and without shields is what gets you killed. And there are numerous counters to that:
    Polarize Hull (also gives some nice resists)
    APO (a standard anyway if you have a Zemok (equi))
    Evasive (gets significant def bonus and an immunity buff in pilot spec tree)
    Deuterium Burn (somewhat like evasive)
    EPtE
    Aux2ID (again a major resist bonus when doffed)
    more?

There are also some helpful DOffs, e.g. debuff cleanse on EPtX abilities and what not.

Ps. The drain is OP currently and Im pretty sure they will change things again, but skills are cheap, experiment a bit.
  • Options
    vifarcvifarc Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think Borgs were not intended to be soloed.
    So, DPS boats have to follow a tank friend going (like me) in middle of the Borgs (with my sci captain on shield regenerating cruiser), while you kill them from afar.
  • Options
    ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Good luck with that - the new Tachyon beam drains shields faster than they can regenerate.

You don't need to regenerate shields faster than it can be taken down if you have good resistances to both shields and hull and have a hull heal or two at the ready. You might have to trade a damaging science ability for a healing one, maybe 2, to stand up to them, though.

When the devs adjust or change something in the game, we have to adjust our builds, tactics, play styles, etc.
  • Options
    innuwarriorinnuwarrior Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have 2 counters for it. As someone else said, rsp with or without doff. The other is bfi with sdo(shield distribution officer). I you have agro they are also shooting at you, 2 sdo is as good as rsp. As for the rest, I run auxiliary to dampener doffed, I have armor equiped and nukara defense. I also pop HE as soon as I see the shield start to go down, you must at least clean the shield neutralizer, that remove some of the sting of the shield drain leaving only tachyon beam to deal with. If I miss or healing powers are on cd, I try and run or go boom. Repair (if needed), rince and repeat.

The trick is to heal shields as they are drained, NPC's powers also have a cd so once initial drain is done you're ok until they go boom. Else run away, heal then come back when sufficiently healed.

Of course power insulators skills is a must, high as you can.
    Jamal : Tactical space specialist. USS Bug Warrior and many others
    E'Mc2 : Science Reman torp T'Varo, deadly annoyance :P
    Kunmal: Tactical fed Klingon, ground specialist, USS Kanewaga
    Ka -tet Tier 5 fleet fully completed Starbase and fleet property
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Here's my advice:
    Sheild are going to get drained no matter what now. What you want more then shields, is a strong hull.

Hazard emitters is a good hull heal over time and eliminates annoying plasma burn.
    Polarize hull can raise your resistances bigtime, and break tractor beam holds.
    Efficient use of Brace for Impact. Use it only when you're low on HP and you know more torps are headed your way.
    Efficient use of Rock n Roll...get this trait as soon as possible. Use it in emergency situations, low HP, know 4 or 5 torps are headed your way ? Rock n Roll. Torps will miss, and you'll recieve a huge resistance buff for a short time.
    A smart thing to do with RnR, is to also use the short burst of speed it gives you to get out of range of enemy ships. Regroup, then head back in.
    Its on a 1 min cooldown so you can use it often.

Attack Pattern Omega is also something that could help you, as it breaks holds, adds atk damage, defense, and speed/turning.

Ill usually have these as my escape/heal buttons
    Brace for Impact
    Rock n Roll
    Omega3
    Science Fleet (sci)
    Scattering Field (sci)
    Hazard emitters 1
    Sci team or Transfer Shield Strength
    Polarize Hull or Energy siphon 1
    Aux, Shield, Engine Batts

Evasive and ramming speed to escape the really hairy situations and regroup/heal.

If you don't have a Leetch, use the MACO shield to get a similar power boost to subsytem levels Higher energy levels = more survivability, and more potent buffs/heals.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg