test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gateway - Dead?

generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
So, its been around 3 years I believe (Oct 19, 2012 to be exact) since the Star Trek Online Gateway was introduced... When it came out, there big plans to updating it to have more features like the Neverwinter Gateway...

Around one/two years later, the update was that when the website/gateway team finished working on the Neverwinter Gateway they would transfer to work on the STO one...

Fast forward another year later... no updates, no news, no voice...

Is the Gateway dead???

Can the PWE product manager confirm? Update?

Would love to know... since I still use it often...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd use it more if they ever decide to finish the thing. Been waiting to see the update to it where one would be able to do doff missions.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Would be nice if SalamiInferno could give some updates to this... Since I believe he was the one working on it when he was Producer!!!
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    not going to search because lazy but, I seem to remember someone saying there was not going to be any development of the STO gateway. This was so far back Branflakes was probably still around but, the more I think about it I'm pretty sure thats correct.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    Well, the update to the DOFF system last year was supposedly the first step in the positive direction for this idea... but, even then, nothing was confirmed as on the schedule... nor did it sound particularly promising.

Would be nice... access Gateway on a mobile device and manage DOFF assignments, R&D tasks, and the like.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Here is an odd question about the gateway. Why is it I can see a pic of my customized BOFFs on it, but not my customized Captain?
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was using gateway for build help, not many people seemed to ever use it...
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what is that again?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kintisho wrote: »
    I was using gateway for build help, not many people seemed to ever use it...

I just like that I have a way to show off some in game assets to prospective players, without being logged in to game.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Last I heard they DOff and R&D upgrades were designed around the idea of being able to DOff and R&D from the gateway, but that never happened.

Though to be honest, Cryptic doesn't have the greatest track record on timely and quickly putting in features they talked about. It's taken how long to drop the sector walls (right it hasn't happened) and that's been discussed for years... literally... and that's just an example.

It's quite possibly that Gateway is scheduled for an update and it'll come into play in 2-5 years.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Last I heard they DOff and R&D upgrades were designed around the idea of being able to DOff and R&D from the gateway, but that never happened.

Though to be honest, Cryptic doesn't have the greatest track record on timely and quickly putting in features they talked about. It's taken how long to drop the sector walls (right it hasn't happened) and that's been discussed for years... literally... and that's just an example.

It's quite possibly that Gateway is scheduled for an update and it'll come into play in 2-5 years.

That actually explains, in a logical way... but in all honesty, i rather they say it was dropped, cancelled, incinerated, beamed out... than to go what, 3 years now, in the [REDACTED] status and have hundreads of the same threads on the same topic. This to me seems... illogical...

Nonetheless, I will await an answer from devs tomorrow... as is too late night...
  • Options
    doggydudedoggydude Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    I wish they would leave it well alone and working. It wasn't ever perfect but it was a nice thing to see.

It's sad when companies are all about profits over making a game players fall over themselve to support because their listened too and supported.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edguN8y.png

It's Night of the Living Dead all of the sudden!
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.