test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't coin dil

darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
I have sent PWE 2 tickets about being unable to coin dil. Because a friend of mine bought me some zen to use for a respec token, I'm now not able to flip C store merchandise or buy any dilithium from the exchange. I have fleet projects that need to get moving and I have equipment needs that I can[t fill thanks to PWE being insane and paranoid. What can be done about this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It is a security feature that is being triggered by accident if you use Steam to purchase Zen. How it is supposed to work is that if triggered, Zen is put in a probationary state and only available for personal purchases until a certain amount of time is past. If you didn't use Steam, then just wait till the timer vanishes.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    What triggered it, is I use the arc launcher and he uses Steam. This is a friend I've been gaming with for 2 years. There is no fraud.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What triggered it, is I use the arc launcher and he uses Steam. This is a friend I've been gaming with for 2 years. There is no fraud.

Nobody is accusing you or your friend of anything, it's just a security measure, like having metal detectors in the airport, nobody is accusing you of carrying a gun, but they are there just in case someone does, and everyone has to pass through, no exceptions.
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Doesn't matter, in light of recent hackings I think I'm happy for the system. It is unfortunate that it occured to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Benjamin Franklin

And neither is the common outcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Benjamin Franklin

So Benjamin Franklin must have hated any type of law since laws sacrifice liberty for security.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You... Really have no capability of thought, do you? Benjamin Franklin was one of the authors of the US Constitution. He was a great lover of law and rule of law.... Which is what any successful civilization is based on. However, his statement, if you think instead of liberal (react without thought or intelligence) you'll realize that at he's saying, willingly giving up your basic rights (such as being able to purchase what you wish with your money without constant oversight) the you don't deserve them
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    So Benjamin Franklin must have hated any type of law since laws sacrifice liberty for security.

The quote cautions against an over reaching government. The favored words are like "We must put those with Japanese heritage in internment camps so they are protected."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Learn your history.

That phrase appears in a letter widely presumed to be written by Franklin in 1755 on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor. “The letter was a salvo in a power struggle between the governor and the assembly over funding for security on the frontier, one in which the assembly wished to tax the lands of the Penn family,” he explains.

The quote wasn’t about liberty but about taxes and the ability to “raise money for defense against French and Indian attacks.

Considering I likely study the founding fathers a lomore than you do, I'm pretty sure I'm expert enough to say that Franklin felt that way about most things. The original reason for revolution was against unfair taxation and overpowering central government. Franklin was against centralized control of people's lives by ANYONE
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Getting back on Topic..

The issue was Steam.

Buying Zen through Steam triggers the fraud system 100% of the time on every single transaction made.. always.

Cryptic will say it doesn't, or at least that it 'shouldn't' but it does. Because of this, you're going to have to wait 10 days. Should this happen again, here is the way around it.

If your friend uses Steam and wants to gift you Zen, he needs to buy the Zen and then close the game out completely. Quitting to the Character Screen doesn't work, he needs to quit to the desktop. He can then re-launch the game, log back in and gift you Zen.

When you purchase Zen through Steam, anything you purchase for the remainder of your game session will be account bound. Leaving the game completely fixes it. I have been told this is not as intended, but when I made a ticket they closed it and said nothing could be done.

The other thing he can do is bypass Steam. If you installed the game through Steam, you don't need to run it through Steam. You can go to the install directory and run the STO launcher directly and play the game without Steam. All Steam does is install the game and give you access to Steam Features and Wallet. You don't need to use those features.

Best of luck to you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So with that being the case, and cryptic refuses to fix the problem, perhaps they should fund my fleet projects
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So with that being the case, and cryptic refuses to fix the problem, perhaps they should fund my fleet projects

I would agree. It's a known issue that they simply don't seem interested in addressing.

I think we both know it won't happen though. :mad:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    No, it likely won't. They'd rather do "stability updates" (simple server reboot) then fix the breen ship bug, the steam zen bug, et all
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You... Really have no capability of thought, do you? Benjamin Franklin was one of the authors of the US Constitution. He was a great lover of law and rule of law.... Which is what any successful civilization is based on. However, his statement, if you think instead of liberal (react without thought or intelligence) you'll realize that at he's saying, willingly giving up your basic rights (such as being able to purchase what you wish with your money without constant oversight) the you don't deserve them

Using that quote in this situation is overreacting. There is a huge difference between forcing martial law to secure the country against terrorism and a company using a fraud prevention system. My post was in response to that overreaction.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Although it doesn't mean much in your current position, all I can recommend in the future is not to buy ZEN through Steam. There are prepaid PWE gift cards available in local game and retail stores which allow your friend to gift ZEN to you without restrictions.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seems pretty damn paranoid to me. You cannot take anything out of the game world, so any fraud is easily reversible even months down the line.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Seems pretty damn paranoid to me. You cannot take anything out of the game world, so any fraud is easily reversible even months down the line.
    Except where does the "taking it out of the game" stop? What if "Mike" buys, fraudulently, an IDIC Tribble and puts it on the exchange? If I buy the Tribble, and then "Mike" gets caught, do I loose the Tribble? What if I turn around and sell it again? Do I loose the EC I earned, or does the next buyer loose the Tribble?

What if, instead of buying the Tribble, I'm the guy who then sells a TR-116 to "Mike" and he uses the EC he got from selling the Tribble towards the price? Do I loose the EC?

If the answer is "Yes" to either example, that seems pretty unfair. At the same time, if "Mike" makes those same types of transactions with friends, or even other accounts held by him, it would be wrong to not penalize those accounts for the fraudulent earnings.

No, the system in place works just fine.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock