test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free R&D Item Crafting

blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
Long story short, I'm at level 15+ in all crafting schools and finally have all of the duty officers needed (including some Xindi) to craft any item currently in the game. I'm willing to offer my services to the community - no mark-ups, no fees, just send me the components and I'll do the combining. This post is essentially FAQs, with instructions at the bottom.

Because this is critically important for you to know, I'm also going to state upfront that I can't guarantee any specific mods or rarity of items because of how Cryptic has implemented the crafting system.

I encourage you to read through the details below if you're interested.

=======
FAQs
=======

Why would you do this?
1. First and foremost, I find the crafting system as-is asinine and frustrating. I can't fix the system, but I can spare others from having to go through it.

2. Crafting the high end (Level 15) unique items gives me a lot of Research XP, so crafting them repeatedly helps me get to even higher levels (with better chances for higher rarity) faster.

3. Though I'm not adding any charge, I wouldn't object if particularly grateful people want to send a token of appreciation my way, or help provide resources for future crafting. Maybe you want to be kind and sponsor someone elses craft by donating components? Lots of goodwill potential.

Don't you realize this is going to kill the market?
That's a fallacy. I've been tracking the prices of high end items for a while, and barring the couple of extremely rare modifier sets the supply is vastly outstripping the demand. Prices are dropping through the floor consistently.

If that's the case, why don't I just wait until it gets cheap enough on the Exchange to buy what I want?
That's not a bad option at all, and the best way to make sure you get the exact modifiers you want. What I'm offering is a way around the wait and time gates for those who want it.

How do I know you won't just take my items and run? -or- How do I know you won't use my items and just keep all the good mods for yourself?
Fair questions, and if you can come up with a reasonable way for me to prove my good intentions (short of you simply standing over my shoulder all day long) I'll happily do so. My hope is that if people appreciate this, they'll at least post testimonials or something of the like to give some measure of social proof. Other than that, I don't know what to really offer you.

One of the reasons I do recommend going through email is so that we both have a record of what was said, in case we ever need to prove it.

Are there any limitations I need to know about?
Yes, as a matter of fact there are:

1. You must be aware that, because of the way Cryptic has implemented the system, I cannot guarantee any specific modifiers or rarity. I can guarantee you a TR-116B, but I can't guarantee a TR-116B [CrtD]x4. You may end up with something that doesn't have your ideal modifiers. If you truly want a guarantee of specific rarity and modifiers, I'd recommend simply going to the Exchange.

2. I'm mainly looking to help with actual items, not just Superior/Experimental Upgrade kits since, ironically, those take more active attention and management. If you need up to 3, I'll be happy to help, but that's the max I'm willing to do per person. I will ask for the energy credits (15,000) required to make them.

3. While I'm willing to consider requests for quantity based on demand, I am only one person. If you ask me to make you one Omni-Directional Phaser Beam Array, you'll get that fairly fast. If you want 20, that's going to take a while and may be de-prioritized based on other requests. If I'm overwhelmed with requests, I'll default to a max of 3 per request.

4. Realize that Cryptic has high time gates implemented, with item crafting taking anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 hours. I'm not willing to deplete my own limited dilithium stores to auto-complete them, so there's an upper limit to how many requests I can fill per day. That's only a problem if a lot of people want something.

5. I'm doing this primarily to help other players, so I reserve the right to refuse service or add PTA (Pain in the A**) charges to particularly rude, demanding, or offensive people. Just be nice and this shouldn't even be a concern.

6. English is my native language. Yo puedo leer un poquito espanol, und ich kann ein bischen Deutsch sprechen, but English is by far going to be the easiest for me to communicate in.

7. I work full time and have a lot of personal obligations, so don't be surprised if it takes me a day or two to get back to you. I'll try to respond promptly, but real life needs have to trump game needs.

=======
Instructions
=======

OK, all the limitations aside, I want to give it a go. How does this work?

1. Let me know what you want crafted. The best way by far to do is in-game email me.

2. I'll respond with an estimated time for when I can craft your item; the required components; and chances of Common, Uncommon, Rare, etc. The uber rewards at the top of each school (TR-116B, Omni-Directional Beam Arrays, and so on) are always Ultra Rare at least.

In some cases, I may give you a discount because another player gave a surplus, or I just have a ton of something already and don't mind using it.

Note: You can verify the requirements for any item you'd like in-game by opening your duty officer window, go to "R&D" tab, select "Filters" drop-down from the upper left hand corner, and select "Show all tasks." You can then click around to see what the items you want require, you just won't be able to officially start them.

3. You confirm what you want me to craft, then send me the requested resources to do it. Be sure to send along any Catalysts if you want me to use them, since these can sometimes improve the chances of Rarity upgrade noticeably.

4. I slot your crafting into the queue, and send over the item to you once it's finished.

5. Hopefully, you are happy with the exchange and post some positive feedback.
Post edited by blazeritter on

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I offer this for my fleet, I set the price it costs to make it and that's it.

if they can give me the components I drop the price even more.

EDIT: Yeah I cant read the red and blue, nearly puked
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Could you please use other colors besides Red and Dark Blue in your post.
    I can't read those parts.

Txs. and Happy Holidays

:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    it's kinda normal for fleets. Lots of people are willing to make stuff for their fleet mates.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Changed it to orange so that it's a little easier on the eyes. Unfortunately the color selection options aren't the best, but there are a couple of things I want to be sure stand out.
  • ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1. You must be aware that, because of the way Cryptic has implemented the system, I cannot guarantee any specific modifiers or rarity. I can guarantee you a TR-116B, but I can't guarantee a TR-116B [CrtD]x4. You may end up with something that doesn't have your ideal modifiers. If you truly want a guarantee of specific rarity and modifiers, I'd recommend simply going to the Exchange.

You might want to rework your example. That [CrtD]x4 scenario isn't even possible for the TR-116B. You might also want to clearly state that the special lvl 15 projects take 20 hours to complete (unless you are willing to spend the dilithium).

Good luck. I offered to craft the Aegis items for people and no one has take me up on the offer yet.