Install Arc
Options

Snowballs getting nerfed - bye bye fun

Comments

• Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It didn't happen.

On my kdf, I pelted some smug fed with a snow ball today and he fell down, yes he fell down, yes HE FELL DOWN!

Remember the reason for the season! I'll give you a hint, it's for people to have fun!

While good men like adamanteus run the show, these little gems of fun will not be drowned in bath tubs or stabbed in their sleep by GRINCHES!

While it's true it didn't happen, it's being tested on tribble.
    That says someone's thinking about it.
    ;)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Anyway- be kind with your snowballs and don't grief others or we may lose this little gem of fun easteregg we have.

This, a thousand times.

Though I'm not sure I'd call it an Easter egg. It's only December. :D
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Remember the reason for the season! I'll give you a hint, it's for people to have fun!

I beg to differ. The reason for the season is to be grateful for our blessings and to show kindness to one another. There's another reason I can't go into, but I'll leave it at that.

As lordmalak1 said, there would never have been any issue with the snowballs if people weren't using them to grief others. That's fun for some, but not for most.

I will not shed one tear if the snowballs are nerfed into uselessness because people refuse to treat other people kindly. Regrettable, perhaps, but this is not Snow Trek Online.

If the snowballs have to be changed in that case, I would prefer that the Devs find the least restrictive fix that solves the problem instead of taking the most expedient one.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Technically, almost all the Holidays that are being observed right now have nothing to do with fun. At the core, they all have something to do with redemption. For now, your snowballs are redeemed, don't blow it for everyone.
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Though I'm not sure I'd call it an Easter egg. It's only December. :D
    In light of my above stated opinion, I must disagree. The snowballs are very Easter-ish.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If the snowballs have to be changed in that case, I would prefer that the Devs find the least restrictive fix that solves the problem instead of taking the most expedient one.

[Snowball Knockback Resist] only 1000 Gold Pressed Latinum

That's the optimum solution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    FWIW, if they do remove knockdown from snowballs, I'm fine with that. I don't see it as a necessary element to have fun with the things. How many times do snowballs actually knock people down IRL? Unless you make iceballs and pitch them at fastball-speed, that's pretty much never. (And if you do that, people are probably going to be unhappy with you IRL too!) Seems like a non-issue to me.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seems like the snowmen are now able to attack me when running the q photo race.

Actually adds some challenge to it. Not a lot, but instead of just trying to pass the guy who started before me, now I also have to fight snowmen without losing momentum (or getting frozen).

I really like this change.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeeeeeah...we all know that isn't going to happen. The only solice I'm taking from this is knowing that Cryptic had a potential fix, didn't impliment it, and now has no one to blame but itself for the continued complaints that will come in for snowball abuse. Ye reap what ye sow as they say.

ROFL
    Snowball abuse
    If your that afraid of another player interacting with you maybe you shouldn't be playing an MMO.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014

Actually adds some challenge to it. Not a lot, but instead of just trying to pass the guy who started before me, now I also have to fight snowmen without losing momentum (or getting frozen).

That shouldn't actually be happening. The Devs made that change a long time ago because people were complaining that they couldn't complete the race. It's definitely unintentional behavior that should be looked at.
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That shouldn't actually be happening. The Devs made that change a long time ago because people were complaining that they couldn't complete the race. It's definitely unintentional behavior that should be looked at.

This happens to me too sometimes, once I even began the race without a competitor but was still attacked by the snowmen. I needed not hurry so I took it slow and steady and finished. Even though I froze a few times.

It's just a conflict of script as two events begin at once I would imagine. Just like when two players begin the race at the same time and one fails and one starts it. The event is a whole month long so even if a glitch pops up now and again, it shouldn't upset anyone's overall goals and fun.

Smile! It's the most wonderful time of the year! :)
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    [Snowball Knockback Resist] only 1000 Gold Pressed Latinum

That's the optimum solution.

No, it isn't. Not if you're a newbie (no latinum) and not if you're being trolled (not enough latinum).

I'm all for adding snowballs to the existing effects of the nullifier, but I think the solution needs to go beyond that.

In my personal opinion, the best fix is to negate snowball knockback while a player is interacting with something like a terminal and to grant a temporary immunity after getting knocked down the first time. That would make it easy for people who want to, to ignore it.

Next best fix is to put a Snowball shield in the Winter Store (looks like an umbrella when activated, maybe?) and let people buy it with trinkets. When people don't want to play, they can equip that and go on their merry way.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Next best fix is to put a Snowball shield in the Winter Store (looks like an umbrella when activated, maybe?) and let people buy it with trinkets. When people don't want to play, they can equip that and go on their merry way.

That is a BRILLIANT idea, I love it.

Cryptic : Put bluegeek in charge !
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    That is a BRILLIANT idea, I love it.

Cryptic : Put bluegeek in charge !

But, obviously, doesn't do anybody any good until next year, maybe. Adding an anti-snowball effect to the nullifier would be one decent alternative until then, but again that probably won't happen for awhile either.

It might be the only short-term fix they can take on is to remove knockback altogether until they have a more permanent solution. Sad, but again, not Snow Trek Online.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,319 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Reported that one a few days ago. Devs are looking into it.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Oh, and to prevent exploits, activating a snowball shield would have to also disable all of the other winter gadgets so they can't attack snowmen who can't fight back.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Oh, and to prevent exploits, activating a snowball shield would have to also disable all of the other winter gadgets so they can't attack snowmen who can't fight back.

Of course, it'll also need a deploy cooldown so you can't pop the umbrella just as a barrage of snowballs are heading your way, then drop it to resume firing seconds later. It may also need to be a winter power like that of the winter tribble so nobody complains about it taking up an equipment slot.

As a side note- I'm running around ToI with an enviro suit on that protects against cold, and it seems to help against snowballs from snowmen. At least it should protect better than that guy running around in his summer bikini.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    ct2060ct2060 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Interaction. You mean like a player standing on the top floor of Quarks, pelting people with snowball after snowball trying to knock them down for hours at a time every day for weeks? That "interaction?" You mean like changing instances to avoid that player only for them to prowl through instances until they find you again and starts the whole process over again? Because that never happens right?

Oh wait, yes it did. Last year. Even saw that same player posting in the tribble patch notes this year all but boasting about it. I'll give you his handle if you like. Bet if you did a query in the report database for it you'd turn up dozens of reports from multiple players from days on end about his "interaction." Hell, I bet if you go to Quarks tonight you'll find him there "interacting" with the players too. The fact he is doing his best to disrupt other players actually interacting...well, that's just him being playful right? And I will bet he will not be the only one either.

Use whatever words you like. Play dumb all you want. Try down downplay as much as you can. The only reason the snowballs are "enjoyed" by some players is because they can be used to harass other players. By not implementing the fix (which, by the way, would only have removed the snowball's ability to be used for player harassment, nothing more) Cryptic has sent the message, intentionally or not, that it condones said abuse.

I would have thought it had learned its lesson after cryo grenades or the dance item that shall not be named. The fix was simple, direct, and did nothing to harm players enjoyment of the item. However at least this time we have a chance to mark the point it could have stopped said problem and a very specific individual who kept it from happening.

It's going to make the "I told you so" that is coming all the more satisfying...and sad.

Whats sad is your overactive imagination. If you really believe someone is stalking you with snowballs you should report them, or try to make amends with them to get them to leave you alone.

Maybe it's not so sad because Im LMFAO over your 'misfortune' with snowballs. See ? They CAN be fun.
    :)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Whats sad is your overactive imagination. If you really believe someone is stalking you with snowballs you should report them, or try to make amends with them to get them to leave you alone.

Maybe it's not so sad because Im LMFAO over your 'misfortune' with snowballs. See ? They CAN be fun.
    :)

Seriously?

You seem to be the one with the 'overactive imagination'

So by your twisted logic, the person who was minding his/her own business has to beg the harasser to stop bothering them.
    You bullied little kids in grade school didn't you?
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes, begging a troll to stop is the best idea! Why has no one thought of this before!?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Reports, reports, reports.

If CS doesn't think it's a problem, likely nobody else will take it seriously.

If CS has a problem due to a flood of complaints, everybody in the company will hear about it.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    k4t3 wrote: »
    You really take things very serious - even ingame - aren't you? It's my 3rd WW event and I noticed just a small amount of ppl I didn't know throwing snowballs at me all the time. Though I'm no telepath or mentalist I don't know if they did it just to be funny, for getting in contact or for annoying me. I went on with the things I wanted to do and that's it. :)

Oh and I bet trolls like you very much, coz you're feeding them! ;)
    I think the OP who started this thread with a hysterical tantrum about not being able to knock down people is just a little more serious than me. Apparently, it's really important to some people to be able to do this. I didn't realize how important it was. Like, not just important, but super important.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Reports, reports, reports.

If CS doesn't think it's a problem, likely nobody else will take it seriously.

If CS has a problem due to a flood of complaints, everybody in the company will hear about it.

This game has CS? Could have fooled me. I thought they had an automated system that sent canned responses.

Seriously, whenever I had a problem in game, the only way I ever got anything done about it was bugging Branflakes directly on twitter. Sadly, he's gone now.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rimmarie wrote: »
    Seriously?

You seem to be the one with the 'overactive imagination'

So by your twisted logic, the person who was minding his/her own business has to beg the harasser to stop bothering them.
    You bullied little kids in grade school didn't you?

Actually I was the one bullied till the day I stood up for myself and beat the tar out of the bully during recess in front of most of the school. I was never bullied again, and the bully and I eventually became pretty good friends.

We both changed that day.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Neither of you had the anonymity of the internet to hide behind though.

True, but neither of our Mommies were available to settle our differences. The GM's are supposed to be there for this kinda thing, if it's not being reported who'se fault is that ? If the reports aren't being acted on then there's a problem, or maybe those being preyed on aren't as innocent as they profess.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif