test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Snowballs getting nerfed - bye bye fun

Comments

• lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    OP is borderline hilarious. Next time someone tells me I'm being too hyperbolic I'm gonna point them here.

:D
    Thats my point. If we can't laugh at them taking time out of their busy days to fix something as inconsequential as this while ignoring very gamebreaking items, what can we laugh at ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I guess they didn't realize the players who hated Disco Balls would hate the Snow Balls. Must be why the their balls turned grey?

Ball haters.

not true i hated disco balls because it made you dance and my klingons dont dance. now a snow ball is great fun and you cant control if sombody else hits you with one so they were fine. now i dont know if these reports are even true as i didnt participate this year other than day one to log in and claim a ship from excess photos i had stored up. looked it over and filed it away with the rest of the trash
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    You are not being forced to buy a snow weapon. Your snowballs still do damage to the snowmen needed to reap your rewards.

Knockback (known in gaming circles as stunlock) does not dictate victory or defeat against the snowmen or assimilated snowborg.

This is a nerf. But a nerf whose benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Players can no longer troll other players with them to the extent they used to.

This comes down to the classic feud.

"It is my right to not be forced to do something by another player's social device."

"It is my right to force your character to do something with my social device."

disco ball made you dance. when all it should have done was put on a pretty light show and maybe hear some music. not force a dance in the real world if i see a disco ball in a store everybody does not stop moving and start dancing.

now a snow ball on the other hand if somebody else throws it at me and i am hit i feel it real world again. i may not like it but it still happened. this is where you either play back and trow at them, go inside. or chase them down and kick the **** out of them. should be the same in game. if you have the balls (pun intended) to start a fight you should be able to finish it with what ever the attacked person responds with.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Thats my point. If we can't laugh at them taking time out of their busy days to fix something as inconsequential as this while ignoring very gamebreaking items, what can we laugh at ?

Uh, sure, I'm laughing with you, let's go with that one.
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I didn't know people still used snowballs, I thought for sure everyone had a gun already. Even fleets keep ornaments on hand to help you to buy your first gun!
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    My snow, when it rarely happens, is more like a ball of ice. Yet I can drive up one state and it is as soft as a blanket.

I think he is referring to a hard packed ice ball which living where i do we get plenty of that still we are throwing snowballs for fun. I still have never been knocked off my feet with an iceball and If i was i probably would be in a hospital and the guy would be up on charges because the only way you could get something like that is to stuff it in the freezer for awhile.

Anyhow we dont go around trying to kill each other for fun and usually we have snowball fights when the snow is fresh and its fun not when its been rained on and partially melted and turned into goo.

Still again I have yet to be knocked to the ground with any type of snowball maybe if they shot it out of a cannon or something they might succeed, but I would not be alive to tell the story :P
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If being made to dance or being hit by a snowball in a computer game means so much to you that you risk working yourself up into some sort of seizure then I'd suggest that you're taking things too seriously.

People have forgotten what the "G" in MMORPG means.

Game - noun - an amusement or pastime
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    If being made to dance or being hit by a snowball in a computer game means so much to you that you risk working yourself up into some sort of seizure then I'd suggest that you're taking things too seriously.

This can, of course, be turned around - if not being able to grief people in a computer game means so much to you that you risk working yourself into some sort of seizure....

/shrug

(Honestly, I'll never understand people who defend griefing. But, then, I'm not a pvper.)

edit: also, on the OP's topic of "why are they wasting time on this, when there's gamebreakers to fix?!?!".... I'd guess that removing the knockback involved changing one or two well-known variables. So, maybe a couple minutes of work beyond the discussion of whether to do it or not. Fixing bugs/etc, on the other hand.....
  • haskanaelevahaskanaeleva Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014

yeah and the multiplayer part the M, sugests a social part of the game, now forcing someone to dance seems pretty anti social to me :P knocking people over with snowballs without consent too.
    edited December 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    This can, of course, be turned around - if not being able to grief people in a computer game means so much to you that you risk working yourself into some sort of seizure....

/shrug

(Honestly, I'll never understand people who defend griefing. But, then, I'm not a pvper.)

I'm not defending it. It's just a shame that people who WANT to have a snowball fight, with the knockdowns, would lose that ability just because some people don't like it.

Some sort of snowball nullifier costing 300 lobi would have been a much better option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
    edited December 2014
    yeah and the multiplayer part the M, sugests a social part of the game, now forcing someone to dance seems pretty anti social to me :P knocking people over with snowballs without consent too.

Ya, having a snowball fight with yourself just seems like so much fun. Then again nobody is forced into the WW zone, if they don't like snowballs then maybe they shouldn't come to the WW. I don't like epohhs but I tolerate them- except on new romulus.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited December 2014

And if forcing other people's characters to dance or knocking them over with a snow ball is so important to you, so vital to your enjoyment of a Star Trek game, you might want to petition Cryptic to change your character to Parmen.
    edited December 2014
    The bible teaches us, if thine eye offends thee, pluck it out.

We see lunacy, miscreancy, degeneracy all around us. We learn that treating the symptom is not treating the disease.

When a patient complains he has a toothache, do we give him opium and make him a junkie, or do we pull the rotting and filthy and worthless tooth? A dentist knows that answer. Exterminate the contamination, heal the world.

In these times of trouble ,remember that all men are brothers.

But there are animals and there are people. A does not equal B. Wrong is not right. There is a difference between right and wrong. They are not the same.

Remember, if you are a person, where you stand in comparison to animals.

We are he and she, him and her.

But they are it.

Humans are animals, more specificly Mamals.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited December 2014
    Just because you insisted that I'm wrong I tried it last night, and no surprise to me as soon as a targeted player stepped on the bottom step going up to the gazebo they were no longer targetable, and my snowballs greyed themselves out in inventory.

I also tried knocking down numerous players of varying ranks to judge the effectiveness of the knockdown effect and found snowballs knockdown lowbie players much more often than high ranking players (if at all). I also found snowballs currently invaluable for knocking down trolls in ToI who insist on stealing kills with snowball mortars and large snowball weapons keeping those without snowball guns from completing the mission. It's been a few years since I pelted players running races since it's much more fun to just run alongside them and occupy their line in the corners.

So you admit to trolling people over the years by using the snowball knockdown effect and attempting to disrupt players trying to do their daily race.

Good to know
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pweadamanteuspweadamanteus Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Did you see that in today's patch notes? I sure didn't. :cool:
    edited December 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    So you admit to trolling people over the years by using the snowball knockdown effect and attempting to disrupt players trying to do their daily race.

Good to know

I'm practicing the event. Nothing more. Years earlier I never bothered, but this year there's so little to do other than nap between events.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited December 2014

Be quiet man, can't you see people are trying to work themselves into some sort of apocalyptic rage...

..over snowballs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
    edited December 2014

It was in yesterdays tribble notes, and we all know tribble patches usually go to holodeck the following day or 2 later.

Did they forget about it, or just stealth it in ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited December 2014
    Be quiet man, can't you see people are trying to work themselves into some sort of apocalyptic rage...

..over snowballs?

I agree, this is hilarious
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Sure...as soon as you make it snow here :P . We get rain over christmas...not snow around here. And this is the first time in 3 years we even got that.

Then you, sir, get to make mud pies. They might actually have some knock down power.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It was in yesterdays tribble notes, and we all know tribble patches usually go to holodeck the following day or 2 later.

Did they forget about it, or just stealth it in ?
    Normally the tribble notes are just a copy and paste to the release notes so if they weren't added in i'd assume it wasn't actually put onto holodeck.

Course it could be a stealth ninja addition which would not be cool :(
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited December 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Normally the tribble notes are just a copy and paste to the release notes so if they weren't added in i'd assume it wasn't actually put onto holodeck.

I assumed stealth, but smirk does botch the cut-and-paste sometimes.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited December 2014
    askray wrote: »

I just checked a few seconds ago, the 20% chance to knock down members of the opposite faction is still listed in the tooltip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    According to tribble patch notes today

Snowballs are no longer useful in winter wonderland. Not only do they NOT knock down other players after multiple hits but according to the notes they no longer are effective as a weapon in any winter wonderland activity. Apparently you are now forced to buy A snow weapon. I wonder what happens next year when unarmed players enter the WW and can't battle or grind for trinkets to buy a snow weapon.

This is bu*****t. When does this sucking the fun out of STO stop ? The WW is supposed to be a holiday fun zone to escape for a while, why do they need to nerf snowballs ?

I personally would take what you have to say more seriously if YOU DIDN'T HAVE A PICTURE OF HITLER in your signature. :mad:
    JtaDmwW.png
    edited December 2014
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    I personally would take what you have to say more seriously if YOU DIDN'T HAVE A PICTURE OF HITLER in your signature. :mad:

Is it ?
    prove it
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• lawstanzlawstanz Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    This subject is totally snowballing out of control.
    Yep, just another reasons for people to give Cryptic the "cold shoulder."