test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fraud Prevention System (Probation)

Comments

• cromarty1cromarty1 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    well its broken I get the flag buging me just because I got a lifetime subscription this is a fail if these failures that at no falt of the users continue the producing network may find it self flaged by internet service providers this is bad a online game that cant go online mistakes like gear being broken from the first week of upgrades bug and still no refund please fix these issues before internet service providers flag pwe or cryptic as that would ruin the game
  • iueras1iueras1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yesterday, I bought Zen to use for Dilithium, from the Perfect World website. This is the first direct Zen purchase (not counting subscriber stipends) I have made since STO went F2P, but my account is from Early Access... immediately the Zen was flagged and locked to my account. Now I've got $30 worth of Zen that I bought specifically to shorten a grind for Dilithium, sitting there unable to be sold for Dilithium -- for long enough, apparently, that I will wind up grinding the TRIBBLE anyway.

I don't feel like I just got my money stolen, not at all. /sarcasm

I am letting you guys know that this half-assed "fraud prevention" system just lost you a paying customer. I will continue to play, but I seriously doubt I will ever give you idiots money again.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ummmm you still haven't quite got this "communication" lark quite right have you PWE ;)

Any form of security is welcomed but any security/fraud prevention measures as "restrictive" as this should be announced BEFORE going live!

One day, we'll get that burnt into you guys..... :rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
  • stumpy2101stumpy2101 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cromarty1 wrote: »
    well its broken I get the flag buging me just because I got a lifetime subscription this is a fail if these failures that at no falt of the users continue the producing network may find it self flaged by internet service providers this is bad a online game that cant go online mistakes like gear being broken from the first week of upgrades bug and still no refund please fix these issues before internet service providers flag pwe or cryptic as that would ruin the game

Ever heard of punctuation? What you just wrote makes no sense so if you are going to be lazy by not including punctuation then why even bother writing at all?
  • moody83moody83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am absolutely disgusted by this new system, i got a warning AFTER buying stuff from your zen store and all the items are bound???? I buy/sell stuff so i can have the ec income to upgrade my weapons, consoles, shields, etc... i have purchased well over 500euro since my time on sto also a lifetime subscriber and now you look at me like i am some sort of criminal?

Never again will i spend 1 more euro!
    Perfectworld:
    My wallet has just put you on indefinite probation!!!!
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    with such limited information and the chance of being miss-flagged, i dont think i will risk purchasing any more zen. it isnt that i do much in terms of trading, but if i spend my money on zen, i want to be able to use it how i wish, and purchasing dilithium is always a possibility.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I also got my warning, after the purchase. And as a result I now have R&D items taking up extra inventory slots, items CS refuse to unbind.

And no there was no false positive, after CS tried treating me like an idiot, explaining that they had 'no function or tool to do such a thing in game' they admitted that it was simply because I used SteamWallet.

I still want my damn items unbound, and I will not be strong-armed into using the PWE Billing Portal.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Does this system has any influence on dil to zen transactions? Like making all zen to dil transactions limited in some way unless you start buying zen via ARC or the website?

From what I understand, until the transaction clears or you have a "stable enough history", any zen you buy cannot leave the account in any way, shape, or form, whether through the DilEx, buying C-store stuff and Exchange-ing (auction housing) it, etc. etc.

Now, whether the system is tracking steam and other provider transactions or just what goes through PWE sources, is maybe another question that our lovely advisory Dev could toss an answer our way about... :)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • djspleendjspleen Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How many of us use steam? how many of us by zen through steam? I wonder what steam would do if they found out that their purchases were not being honored?
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'll be honest. While this system has good intentions, it just discourages me further from purchasing ZEN. And there was no announcement about this beforehand? Way to go guys... :rolleyes:
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    djspleen wrote: »
    How many of us use steam? how many of us by zen through steam? I wonder what steam would do if they found out that their purchases were not being honored?

Well they are being honoured. You pay the money, you get the Zen. They are just placing restrictions on what that Zen can be used for which is their right and has nothing to do with Steam. It also states that after the payment has been cleared then the probation period will be removed and things you purchase using that Zen will not be account bound. So really, it only affects things you've bought whilst on the probation period.

I'm not saying the system is working as intended, or that it was a good idea to set this up without prior warning. Also, if what some people are reporting is true that it's not warning you that your C-Store purchase will be bound to account until after you've already bought it then yes that needs addressed and fast. But let's not get out of hand and claim they aren't honouring the purchases.

On a side note, I'm not sure why people use the Steam wallet instead of Arc. Every time I've looked at the prices, the Steam wallet rates are a rip off compared to buying direct. For example, in the UK Steam sells 1000 Zen for £9. But if you buy direct, you get 1100 Zen for just under £8.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On a side note, I'm not sure why people use the Steam wallet instead of Arc. Every time I've looked at the prices, the Steam wallet rates are a rip off compared to buying direct. For example, in the UK Steam sells 1000 Zen for £9. But if you buy direct, you get 1100 Zen for just under £8.

If I had to venture a guess, most Steam users are Americans (ie, US residents) avoiding ARC like it has the plague - especially since Steam provides everything ARC does but patching functionality (that the current launcher provides) and also handles dozens more games...

Less bloat on system = better chance to play the games... :)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like this communication from the Devs is sticking around! News about additional security before a problem also sounds like a step in the right direction too. I hope this change in Cryptic continues to stay.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I welcome new security measures, but you appear to be flagging accounts incorrectly and not warning them until after they've made their purchases.

I'm getting quite sick of reading the way your paying customers are being treated. Even those of us not affected yet are starting to get nervous about investing further in this game.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wow... another totalitarian tactic by PWE.

Use ARC (the rubbish POS) or else you can't buy anything, can't use anything you buy, and all your purchases will be invalidated. JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE USING STEAM!

How about... No.

Just, no. I encourage people to stop paying PWE a single cent until they stop this nonsense, on the tail of OTHER nonsense that STILL hasn't been resolved yet.

They've pushed their luck too far, and now the thin ice they were ON is totally gone, but they're sinking and trying to make it happen faster.

Boycott PWE. Boycott ARC.
  • stumpy2101stumpy2101 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Umm... people, this is not only Steam related. I am in probation since Oct 30th when I paid for my Lifetime Subscription via the ARC site and via credit card... Steam not involved whatsoever.
  • frlancrfrlancr Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    stumpy2101 wrote: »
    Umm... people, this is not only Steam related. I am in probation since Oct 30th when I paid for my Lifetime Subscription via the ARC site and via credit card... Steam not involved whatsoever.

Except for where they openly say it's because you used Steam:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1282281&page=3

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20481131&postcount=38

I think you just got crapped on randomly (perhaps an oversight or accident).
  • jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Steam is just easier for me...not speaking for anybody else. I've been with steam for awhile and have tons of games through them so....besides, PWE got rid of their cards last week, and I don't like only having two choices for paying for in game stuff!! I don't cheat anybody when I put a lock box ship on the exchange...I don't sell keys, and I don't use the exchange for buying or selling zen or dip so...your guess is a good as mine.

😇
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited November 2014
    Fraud Prevention System ?They stop people from using zen? that makes sense lol

also add lockboxes :D
  • oniralasoniralas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    frlancr wrote: »
    Except for where they openly say it's because you used Steam:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1282281&page=3

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20481131&postcount=38

I think you just got crapped on randomly (perhaps an oversight or accident).

They're just using a generic template. I got hit with the same problem, no steam involved.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    If I had to venture a guess, most Steam users are Americans (ie, US residents) avoiding ARC like it has the plague - especially since Steam provides everything ARC does but patching functionality (that the current launcher provides) and also handles dozens more games...

Less bloat on system = better chance to play the games... :)
    jkers wrote: »
    Steam is just easier for me...not speaking for anybody else. I've been with steam for awhile and have tons of games through them so....besides, PWE got rid of their cards last week, and I don't like only having two choices for paying for in game stuff!! I don't cheat anybody when I put a lock box ship on the exchange...I don't sell keys, and I don't use the exchange for buying or selling zen or dip so...your guess is a good as mine.

😇

I wasn't meaning not to use Steam for the purpose of running the game. I was solely referring to using it for purchasing Zen.

I don't use the Arc client either. I've used Steam for many years and would prefer to keep using it as long as I can for the game because, as you both say, I already have all of my other games on Steam plus my friends and screenshot functions etc are all tied into Steam so why use Arc for what Steam is already doing eh.

But for Zen purchases I just go through the website, not the Arc client, because it's much cheaper than Steam. Sorry that wasn't so clear in my post.

They do not have a right! Cryptic is a company that exists solely to provide goods and services for its customers and in return, profits for betterment.

I am seeing alot of lifetimers here who payed an upward of $300 and already, they're been flagged and their zen purchases restricted and unable to work. According to this screenshot below, cryptic cannot do that! If you purchased masterkeys and attempted to sell them on the exchange, you are unable to do so by this preventative system.

http://prntscr.com/53b05x

Paying $300 dollars for lifetime and some zen, and being told that they (the players) are being restricted from making in-game money or using dilithium trading is not only a slap in the face, but essentially cryptic developers defecating on players faces.

This is essentially fraudulent! If any company which you payed for goods is not being delivered they can face legal consequences. Any company must deliver goods as per the consumer rights!

Technically, they do have the right. C-store items are in game items and thus controlled by Cryptic/PWE, they can remove items, alter stats of items, change account/character binding of items at their will.

Again I say, they are delivering the goods you've paid for. All they are doing is putting a limitation on what the goods can be used for until they've confirmed you're details aren't being used fraudulently.

What I do agree with (about why people are angry) is that players should have been informed about the new system before it went live, not days later. Also, they need to be absolutely sure that players are indeed warned, as they said they should be, that items they try to purchase from the c-store will be account bound.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited November 2014
    I got an answer from a ticket stating that everything that i have bought that was bound will remain so. they cannot "unbound it even after the probation.

So that's it for me, if that's how you treat me i'll return the favor.

Probation.... it's like i am a ******n criminal for buying YOUR STUFF!
    Perfectworld:
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i curious on the conditions of the so call probation , is it just Creditcard purchases , what about paypal, ARC cards and other types of options ?
    whats the time frame? is this for each time you use a CC for a purchase ? whats considered vaild purchase history ?

i normally use PWE/ARC cards , but what if i wanted to make another purchase thru another method , being a consistent customer? Any purchase history should go towards these means . not just when you started the policy . the purchase history is there so there is no reason that it cant be used . to be honest to fail to do so will hamper future purchases cuz especially for those that have been buying consistently.

this is a rough few weeks for this IP and cryptic / PWE . this doesnt inspire customer confidence .
  • paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I posted this on another thread, with a few tweaks to the topic. Here is one of your paying customers who is not able to pay now. Sorry if this is harsh.
    paareth wrote: »
    Hold on, I spent more 2 years ago than I have now? Where is the logic in this? Do they not track account history?

What happens to the lobi crystals that have become a separate stack? Do they become mergable after this, odd period ends? Have I just wasted 30 pounds, if so expect no further business.

How come I was flagged, when I've sold virtually NOTHING on the exchange, and transferred nothing from this character.

They need to change their flagging system, to make sense.

I guess if I want to spend money, I now need to go somewhere else, till you decide I can spend money? To be honest, this is among the stupidest decisions I have ever seen from a company.

-edit

Okay, companies look at their customers. They say, this man or woman has spent a lot with us, so let's not just wreck his ability to give us money. It's not good business, I don't know how else to put it. I do know if I was ripped off any lobi crystals at all, i'm done. That's 300 pounds an expansion (when I am here) gone, as I don't like being ripped off at all.

Also as someone mentioned steam. I buy through steam. I have I don't know 3 accounts with several hundred games in each, ask steam, before you bar me. Ask them, does this man pay his bills, if that is where I am paying from. If the answer is no, then bar me.
    edited November 2014
    I don't feel like i'm treated as a criminal, but it would have been nice to know before hand that this I what was going on! At least the keys and other things that I did purchase can still be used.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think the system is a good idea. Please consider cross-posting of this information as a sticky down in the C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions subforum?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited November 2014
    Guess we are getting punished for spending to much money on this game!!! It's a first for me...
    edited November 2014
    jkers wrote: »
    Guess we are getting punished for spending to much money on this game!!! It's a first for me...

Yea... i guess they were making TOO much money :confused::confused:
    Perfectworld: