test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Praetorian Guard Armor

tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Romulan Discussion
http://i.imgur.com/02t8ElA.jpg

Are you tired of wearing MACO or K. Honor Guard armor? What do you say about this one?
I know that because of the authorship of this right can not be used , but it would be great to put on something very similar like this. I think the armor looks very romulan.
You'd be willing to buy this one for zen / dilithium / Lobi ?
Post edited by tmassx on

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2014
    hmmm yeah, stain it green slap an imperial raptor on the chest plate, adjust a few things here an there... yeah thatd be sexy. Id grind out that rep project for sure
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    hmmm yeah, stain it green slap an imperial raptor on the chest plate, adjust a few things here an there... yeah thatd be sexy. Id grind out that rep project for sure

Agreed! Add the Raptor insignia and a few other things and it would be perfect!
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd say add it in as part of a romulan ground set for the romulan reputation.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Romulan Rep needs a ground set, and Romulans also need their version of the Omega Rep gear.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, I like my KHG costumes just fine, apart from the Klingon logos, which are, however, tolerable.

An imperial raptor I would not like nor wear, nor would I expect Cryptic/PWE to put any imperial Romulan imagery onto the proposed Romulan faction alternative to MACO and KHG costumes and thereby subject the majority of Romulan players (who seem to have no great issue with the Republic), to reminders of the oppression and atrocities visited upon them and their families and friends by the Star Empire and its Gestapo. I also believe it is rather presumptuous and unrealistic to even suggest that they should slap an imperial raptor a thing which has been proposed as a Romulan faction alternative to MACO and KHG costumes.

I know a few of you are not content with the Republic as the only real option for Romulan players, and if I had been responsible for forcing Romulan players into two distinct alliances, my own choice (as I have said before in the Romulan Gameplay forum) would have been the Star Empire and something very much like the Republic. However, like it or not, the Romulan imperialists just don't have the numbers to justify that (and yes, you could argue that had the option existed from the launch of LoR, it might be different, and yes, I will concede that it might have been, but that's all hypothetical and neither I nor anyone else can say with certainty that it would have been one way or another). And whether you or I like the way it was done or not, it was done that way, and the likelihood of any major change such as would be required to grant concessions to the imperialists (who are currently a minority, albeit a very vocal one).

In fact, if I had been the one in charge of the development of STO from the beginning, there would have been three factions when the game was in Closed Beta, and yes, one of those would have been Romulan (and frankly, yes, it would have been the Shiar ih'Saeihr Rihan, or "Romulan Star Empire -- but not the version of TNG and the later series, which I will always regard as a betrayal of what the Romulans were from the beginning of Trek).

Would I like something distinct for Romulans instead of MACO or KHG? Sure. Would I want RSE logos on it? Not a chance. Would I give up my KHG costumes? I dunno. I do know that I would not give them up for the costume shown in the image in the OP, because it looks a bit too much like an unpleasant insect (of the order Blattodea) to my eyes. I like the cloak on it, and the helmet doesn't look bad, but the armor itself just makes me think of those nasty lbugs I am pleased to have escaped from when I left the city of my childhood some years ago. I would instead suggest something more avian in appearance, and less insectoid. But a cloak would be absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd buy that for a dollar!

Seriously, I would grind or, even pay for that for me Remans/romulans.

Please make it so Cryptic but, I don't foresee it ever happening, because Cryptic doesn't like to make money with things like this it seems.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    caediciuscaedicius Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    protogoth
    nor would I expect Cryptic/PWE to put any imperial Romulan imagery onto the proposed Romulan faction alternative to MACO and KHG costumes and thereby subject the majority of Romulan players (who seem to have no great issue with the Republic), to reminders of the oppression and atrocities visited upon them and their families and friends by the Star Empire and its Gestapo.

THAT was funny! :D I mean, the PLAYERS of course NEVER had any experience with opression etc by the RSE... The chars had that perhaps, and that only because they are forced to have by the storyline - and even that did quiet a number of them not preventing from arguing for the RSE/TS... Perhaps we should ask why that is so, that even against the chains of a VERY black-white storyline so many would still choose the Empire...
    I would rather say that many, perhaps even the majority of the Romulan players did not care so much about the question if either Republic or Empire (they want to play simply Romulans, use their ships etc.). And about the numbers of the more key-supporters of RSE and RR. well, I guess they are more or less the same strength.

I also disagree that the traditional Romulan players not have the numbers - as I said above I think most Romulan players would have no problem with a RSE-logo on the front of their chars (but are also not so much behind that matter). They simply would gladly accept a ROMULAN armor and having nothing to complain if it have insignia of the RSE, just be no longer forced to wear foreign armor. The traditional Romulan players would in many cases love it (if they agree with the picture, what is not granted), the only one who very likely would have a problem with it would be the minority of hard-core Republicans (and by the way, it should be possible to remove the insignia). And of course - and THAT is a case it should be thought over with care - it might be a problem for those who choose to play a REMAN. They may claim that again they left something behind...

About the rest of your statement, I must say, do you not think it is also a little bit bold to judge a main source of information of the background (TNG) as betrayal? Even more it is comes from a person who just above claimed "like it or not, just face how it is"? Seems you just not want to swallow the same medicine you order others to drink... *g*
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    caedicius wrote: »
    protogoth

THAT was funny! :D I mean, the PLAYERS of course NEVER had any experience with opression etc by the RSE... The chars had that perhaps, and that only because they are forced to have by the storyline - and even that did quiet a number of them not preventing from arguing for the RSE/TS... Perhaps we should ask why that is so, that even against the chains of a VERY black-white storyline so many would still choose the Empire...
    I would rather say that many, perhaps even the majority of the Romulan players did not care so much about the question if either Republic or Empire (they want to play simply Romulans, use their ships etc.). And about the numbers of the more key-supporters of RSE and RR. well, I guess they are more or less the same strength.

I also disagree that the traditional Romulan players not have the numbers - as I said above I think most Romulan players would have no problem with a RSE-logo on the front of their chars (but are also not so much behind that matter). They simply would gladly accept a ROMULAN armor and having nothing to complain if it have insignia of the RSE, just be no longer forced to wear foreign armor. The traditional Romulan players would in many cases love it (if they agree with the picture, what is not granted), the only one who very likely would have a problem with it would be the minority of hard-core Republicans (and by the way, it should be possible to remove the insignia). And of course - and THAT is a case it should be thought over with care - it might be a problem for those who choose to play a REMAN. They may claim that again they left something behind...

About the rest of your statement, I must say, do you not think it is also a little bit bold to judge a main source of information of the background (TNG) as betrayal? Even more it is comes from a person who just above claimed "like it or not, just face how it is"? Seems you just not want to swallow the same medicine you order others to drink... *g*

Dude, stop trolling my posts. Stop trying to hijack every thread I post anything in. I will not be baited by you further. If you continue, I will report you. I stated my opinion about KHG and this armor and stated why. You don't have to like it. The topic of this thread is not you or me. If you have something to say about the armor in the OP, say it.
  • Options
    caediciuscaedicius Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well, that is quiet a matter of discussion, I would say. Reporting me?Sounds funny. For what? I have not insulted you off-play (and by the way I see no reason for such a behavior, it would make no sense to clash over a fictional topic - something not everyone seem able to understand). Should I avoid any topic you are writing something in and never answer to words of you with which I disagree? Strange definition of discussion, I must say. Such rules are new to me...;)
    I mean, since you have (and use) the freedom to comment on things you disagree, either if they were directed towards you or not, I think it is a little bit strange if you want to deny the same possibility to others...:confused:
    You make claim which are hard to confirm (since I think neither you nor I are in the position to say without question what the majority of the Romulan players think). I have written my own opinion, why I think a RSE-logo would be ok in my eyes (what you clearly not want to see) and why I think that your arguments AGAINST such a logo are not very convincing and which parts made no sense in my eyes. I wonder what kind of discussion you normaly have, but until now I had thought this is a way it works. Arguments, and counter-arguments. So it was about the armor (RSE logo or not and why not or why, that it should also some thoughts about Reman players etc.), and it was Off-play - so what is your problem? You also had written several things who had not much to do with the idea of the armor which were topic of this thread (I mean, the words what would be if you were in a position to decide something in STO from the start...well I think some people think that is sad while other have a rather different opinion). So I must say I have quiet some problems to understand the way you argue, sorry...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    An imperial raptor I would not like nor wear, nor would I expect Cryptic/PWE to put any imperial Romulan imagery onto the proposed Romulan faction alternative to MACO and KHG costumes and thereby subject the majority of Romulan players (who seem to have no great issue with the Republic), to reminders of the oppression and atrocities visited upon them and their families and friends by the Star Empire and its Gestapo. I also believe it is rather presumptuous and unrealistic to even suggest that they should slap an imperial raptor a thing which has been proposed as a Romulan faction alternative to MACO and KHG costumes.

First proto, I gotta say I absolutely ADORE your need to hijack every single thread to be about your vision for Romulans. Second look at the RR raptor, its far FAR too vertical to work on a suit of armor, thus the my statement about the Imperial raptor since it would perfectly flow across the chest. Third... you do realize your own sig uses the Imperial logo TWICE? Before ******** and moaning about how you dont want to wear the RSE's symbol you might want to fix your sig.

lastly can you and caedicius take your war back to that other thread you hijacked into a personal TRIBBLE war?

edit:
    and before you try to conjure some bs up.. I love the RR raptor, its one of the best art assets Cryptic did.

EDIT2:
    BTW the suggested name of the armor is PRAETORIAN Guard Armor... Praetor is an Empire title and not one we've seen used at all by the Republic. This would infer that any such armor is made in the image of an Imperial suit, not a Republican one.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I've sent you a friend request through Arc if you wish to discuss this further with me and avoid thread hijacking. I've also started another thread where you and all the other imperialists can try to argue with or debate me to your hearts' content, without any further hijacking of this thread.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    An RR ground set with appropriate visuals would be fantastic. A better naming solution might be reached if we knew more about the naming conventions of the Republic specifically, but since their ranks are borrowed from the Imperial set, I don't think using Praetorian is a bad way to go at all.

Spitballing some ideas (I am not a mechanics guy so this may be broken but I promise it's not on purpose):

Praetorian Elite Armor
    • +44% Physical Damage Resistance
    • +44% Kinetic Damage Resistance
    • +29% All Energy Damage Resistance
    • +10% All Damage when flanking
    • +10% All Damage on Exposed targets
    • When receiving damage, 10% chance to Expose the enemy that damaged you.

Praetorian Elite Shield
    • +29.1% Dodge Chance
    • +29.1 Root resistance
    • 350.3 Maximum Shield Capacity
    • Fully regenerates after not taking damage for 3 secs.
      When receiving damage while aiming, 5% to apply Reciprocal Redirection
      • +10% All Energy damage for 15 seconds

Praetorian Elite Plasma High Density Rifle
    Beam Setting
    Plasma Damage
    • 51.6 Plasma Damage x2 (108.7 DPS)
    • 5% Chance: 26.2 Plasma Damage per second (ignores shields)
    • 5% Chance: -20 All Damage resistance rating for 10 sec
    High Density Beam
    Cylindrical AOE Plasma Damage and Repel
    Exploit Attack
    • 139 Plasma Damage (19.2 DPS)
    • +25 Repel
    • 5% Chance: 26.2 Plasma Damage per second (ignores shields)
    • 5% Chance: -20 All Damage resistance rating for 10 sec
    • +10% Damage when flanking

Set Abilities (I give up on making numbers, looking up references to base them off of is taking too damn long)

Silent Predator
    • +100 Aggression Stealth for 10 sec
    • +500 Perception Stealth for 10 sec
    • +30% Run Speed for 10 sec
    • +33% Crit Chance when flanking for 10sec

Integrated Remodulator (duh)

Tried to make it not purely favor Tac by making the armor apply to all damage rather than just energy damage with the intent of buffing aggressive Sci powers too. Not sure what I want the long CD ability to be but I'm out of time to post so kthxbai
  • Options
    ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I like the idea of this, we need something special to match the feds/KHG :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Praetorian Elite Plasma High Density Rifle

does no one else love miniguns but me? :P Cool ideas and stats tho seriously. Personal preference would be a full auto rifle, or minigun.... or something really not used, dual pistols... just cause NO ONE uses that lol
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd like to see something like that armour in the game.

Paint it green, adjust the helmet a bit and stick a Romulan Republic Logo on it. Perfect. No matter how much some people want to be RSE, the facts are that the game has shoehorned us into being Romulan Republic. One can roleplay otherwise of course but as far as anyone or any npc sees you in the game, it'll be as a Republican.

Frankly I'm cool with that. I like the Romulan Republic.
  • Options
    sharksinspacesharksinspace Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Now that the bickering has moved to dedicated thread let's get back to making this thread a hundred page epic of player's resolve! Romulan rep sets for all Children of the Raptor!
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I did a thing. Here's a crappy drawing that I took a crappy photo of to show you what I mean. I based it loosely on the TOS helmet and a Senate guard uniform seen briefly in the background in Star Trek: Nemesis. Complete with Imperial alternate pieces for the "Adapted" version, which I would just give the Omega Force set stats.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ohh cool i like that armour :)
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I did a thing. Here's a crappy drawing that I took a crappy photo of to show you what I mean. I based it loosely on the TOS helmet and a Senate guard uniform seen briefly in the background in Star Trek: Nemesis. Complete with Imperial alternate pieces for the "Adapted" version, which I would just give the Omega Force set stats.

Not bad. I would support that!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    does no one else love miniguns but me? :P Cool ideas and stats tho seriously. Personal preference would be a full auto rifle, or minigun.... or something really not used, dual pistols... just cause NO ONE uses that lol

I am rather fond of my Romulan Plasma Assault Minigun. *nod* I have also used Dual Pistols a bit, to my satisfaction. Either ought to do quite well.

I seem to recall someone in a past discussion here make a suggestion in passing that a melee weapon would be nice for a Romulan version of the KHG/MACO gear. While I would also love a Romulan melee weapon, I must say that I'm not convinced it should be the weapon for this set -- but that would of course depend on the particulars of the weapon.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

that is pretty sweet :)

another interesting idea would be to use this as a place to bring back a purple piercing rifle :) Non-stop pew pew :D
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'll take that one in green. Will never happen though. I've had to hide all the armors in STO so far, it would be such a trend breaking move to actually look good in one. Rule of thumb, you have to look dumb.
  • Options
    sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    Wow I really like this idea.
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'll take that one in green. Will never happen though. I've had to hide all the armors in STO so far, it would be such a trend breaking move to actually look good in one. Rule of thumb, you have to look dumb.

Yeah, i like an armor what does not look like 1) toy soldier from Toy story (voth) 2) power ranger (maco) 3) green lantern (counter-command) ;)
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tmassx wrote: »
    Yeah, i like an armor what does not look like 1) toy soldier from Toy story (voth) 2) power ranger (maco) 3) green lantern (counter-command) ;)

You forgot the new and, improved Storm trooper armor from the Delta Rep.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ugh, I wish Cryptic would get back to making Canon Weapons and tailor options. At least the new Delta rep has a canon weapon though (compression phaser rifle)

My personal vote would go to the Nemesis Senate Guard uniform. There are a lot of things I hate about that movie, that uniform is not one of them. It's a canon design, and it looks like armor, which make it a nice choice for an armor set IMO.

Perhaps it could be paired with the older TNG Romulan Disruptor design?

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060306002141/memoryalpha/en/images/c/c5/Romulan_disruptor_rifle,_2368.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ugh, I wish Cryptic would get back to making Canon Weapons and tailor options. At least the new Delta rep has a canon weapon though (compression phaser rifle)

My personal vote would go to the Nemesis Senate Guard uniform. There are a lot of things I hate about that movie, that uniform is not one of them. It's a canon design, and it looks like armor, which make it a nice choice for an armor set IMO.

Perhaps it could be paired with the older TNG Romulan Disruptor design?

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060306002141/memoryalpha/en/images/c/c5/Romulan_disruptor_rifle,_2368.jpg

I agree with giving the "classic" TNG Romulan rifle.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd love to see a Romulan armor. Everytime I see a Romulan in the Klingon honor guard armor, with Klingon flags all over the armor, I can't help but cringe.

It will not happen, but whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Ah hah! Should have known it was related to that Delta Quadrant Death Star somehow. :D