test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Full Impulse Lockout bug from April has Returned!

mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
ticket ID #2,822,775

Switching impulse engines causes a 30-second lockout on using Full Impulse.

1. In any system map, equip any impulse engine
2. Press the full impulse button on the throttle UI
3. Use the keyboard hotkey to trigger full impulse

Actual result: Full impulse will not activate.

Expected result: Full impulse is always available as long as the player is not in combat (red alert mode).

Additional notes: This bug was already fixed in the April 3rd Tribble patch. Apparently that fix was not included in the Delta Rising code branch.

Joined January 2009
Finger wrote:
Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is horribly annoying.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    The data has not been reverted. So the prior cause of this issue does not appear to have returned.

I have not personally experienced what you're referring to, and I make frequent-use of quick bursts in my general play... so would you mind giving additional information?

Does it happen every time? On all maps, or just certain ones?
    Are you experiencing high latency and/or low framerate when it occurs?
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi Bort. There were two distinct bugs related to full impulse back around ~April or so. I guess my STR in the OP were a bit too vague; my apologies.

Bug 1 was that when you changed equipped impulse engines (e.g. you have, say, the Borg engine currently equipped, and then you swap it out for an Adapted MACO engine that was in your inventory) you cannot use full impulse for 30 seconds after switching out which engine is equipped. This was a side effect of the code that was added to prevent clicky console swapping exploits since you'll see a 30 second timer on the engine in your ship's Status window when you change engines.

Bug 2 was that you couldn't rapidly toggle full impulse on and then off again (you'd get stuck in full impulse for a moment or two before you could disable it). This one sounds like what you're describing when you say "I make frequent-use of quick bursts in my general play" (I do that too). :)

I'm referring to bug 1, not bug 2. Both bugs were fixed back then but it looks like bug 1 got reverted, while the fix for bug 2 is still working properly (bursting still works fine.)

I noticed that bug 1 had returned yesterday when I was using my borg engine in sector space to go faster, then I popped into a tholian red alert and immediately swapped my borg engine out for the adapted maco engine because I use the adapted maco 2-piece for torpedo damage. I was then unable to activate full impulse in order to get over to the first mob of enemies until the 30-second lockout had expired.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's happened to me also once or twice.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    Thanks, that clarifies it. There may be a reason this has to stay this way. We'll investigate.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thanks, that clarifies it. There may be a reason this has to stay this way. We'll investigate.

Awesome possum. Thanks for looking into it. :)

I'll consult my witch doctor for a divine intervention that makes it possible for you guys to fix it. :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote: