test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Commander Ethan Burgess

edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
For someone who grew up in London, he seems to have a pretty poor grasp of his native accent. Was it a deliberate decision to cast someone with a noticeably American twang (technical term, lol) in the role, or is it just another advertisement for the "Cryptic Studios Home for Incompetent Actors"?
Post edited by edwardianed on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nitpickiness at its finest.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    arilouskiffarilouskiff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    For someone who grew up in London, he seems to have a pretty poor grasp of his native accent. Was it a deliberate decision to cast someone with a noticeably American twang (technical term, lol) in the role, or is it just another advertisement for the "Cryptic Studios Home for Incompetent Actors"?

2410 is as far away from us as we are from Shakespeare. Accents are likely fairly different.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Plus there's all manner of things that can affect accents - example, someone born in New York to Irish immigrants likely wouldn't sound fully Irish, due to environment.

I wouldn't worry about it too much
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, what's next, a Frenchman with an English accent ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    2410 is as far away from us as we are from Shakespeare. Accents are likely fairly different.

^^ This.

/10char
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

I retract my statement :o
  • Options
    alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I LOL'd :P

But yeah, accents don't mean squat in the 25th man :D
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm just glad they haven't got any Irish characters in STO. Nothing so annoying to an Irishman then to hear the accent that Americans think is Irish.

And O'Brian aside, trek in particular does not have the best track record with Irish characters.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Decent voice acting has never been cryptics forte, outwith the established trek actors at least since they only have to cope with the writing.

If you really want to cringe listen to the pathetic efforts they made at the scots accent in neverwinter, sounds like someone trying not to vomit.

Along the same lines but what is with that klingons hair cut? With the lack of cranial ridges it makes them hard to find amidst the mob.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Decent voice acting has never been cryptics forte, outwith the established trek actors at least since they only have to cope with the writing.

If you really want to cringe listen to the pathetic efforts they made at the scots accent in neverwinter, sounds like someone trying not to vomit.

Along the same lines but what is with that klingons hair cut? With the lack of cranial ridges it makes them hard to find amidst the mob.
    Imo, no voice acting is pathetic, and I've been through a lot of examples of good and bad. But that's just me

Anyway, I believe it's been said recently by a dev (can't remember) that hair is one of their worst in-game assets at the moment. Probably because it's still a holdover from the rushed launch of STO
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm just glad they haven't got any Irish characters in STO. Nothing so annoying to an Irishman then to hear the accent that Americans think is Irish.

And O'Brian aside, trek in particular does not have the best track record with Irish characters.

There was a voiced redshirt female lt commander for DS9 during the FE.
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited October 2014

It's canon for Frenchmen not to sound French. Chief example, Jean-Luc Picard, a Frenchman with an English accent. :D
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, Burgess - Ethan Burgess - is a British guy from Intelligence with a rank of Commander. Sound familiar?
  • Options
    gambit9526gambit9526 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I will redo all their British male voice acting in return for a LTS.

Can't say fairer than than that.

I was actually pleased to see he was from London.

And as for Picard and his English French...well, maybe hes descended from English Immigrants. Or just learnt his Federation Basic (aka English) well enough to not have an accent.
    All this business around accents changing by the future?
    Well..its not that far in the future, so yeah its just bad acting.

Trek has some very decent London/English accents in it (Julian Bashir and family) and I believe the books even recently outed Ian Andrew Troi as being from London as a way to explain why Deanna (after Marina giving up her exotic alien accent she worked hard on, making her sound slightly d'eaf' as would suit a person not used to hearing people speak on a planet where people communicate telepathically, because Majel didn't bother as Lwxana) sounds like an east end girl quite a lot by the time of the TNG movies.

So yeah.

Its not hard to find someone to do a bit of VO work in this day and age, they can probably Skype it in and clean up the audio a bit to get accents right from all over the world.

The hilarity of a proper cockney handing one of Treks standard big scarey aliens its A*** with some standard issue London sarcasm or phrasing would be entertaining. Stick a Glaswegian and a Northern Irishman next to him for a fight scene that would make the Klingons seem tame and also possibly more intelligible to the untrained ear.

"Get that stitched dahn Barts you ugly B******" snarled Lieutenant Smith as he nutted the hirogen.
    "See you" growled MacDonald as he gave his unlucky delta quadrant warrior some more of the same.
    "Now lads" drawled Fergus, the engineer rolling his uniform sleeves up "save some of the fe***** for me will ya?"
    And two short hours later, the entire hirogen hierarchy was sorted and applying for federation membership, while our erstwhile heroes were down the pub.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    There was a voiced redshirt female lt commander for DS9 during the FE.

She was Scottish.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Sulu sees what you did there.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    She was Scottish.

As a Scotsman myself I can assure you, that is one hell of a weird Scottish accent if it is one.
  • Options
    o4q123o4q123 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I hate to be the one to bring this forward, but um.......

But maybe, just maybe, that's exactly what you sound like to Americans.
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What's next, a native Swahili speaker with a California accent? A Scottish engineer with a Lucky Charms leprechaun accent? Someone from N'auwl'ns or a Central American native with standard American accents? Someone from Georgia with a southern accent that only comes out when he's under the influence of alien plants that make him make mint juleps?

But I'm just taking it as "the future."

What's more interesting to me is how many Americans and English and Scottish and Irish people there are in the future. If half the world right now is Asian, shouldn't they be more represented in the future? What about Latinos (hundreds of millions of them now!)? Is there some plague that wipes almost everyone out who isn't in an English-speaking country?
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    o4q123 wrote: »

Survey says...
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But I should add that, generally, the voice acting in this game is pretty good. Some of it's a little boring in the earlier episodes, but that's a product of the text and poor direction. The more recent stuff is much better.

And I'd say that a lot of the no-names are doing better than the stars, like that maw lady in viscous cycle (opening the MAAAAAW DOOOOAAAAHS), the female dance instructor on Risa, the singing Klingon in Doomsday Device, Hakeev, Farek.... I just try to ignore the accents because, hey, they might just be a product of universal translator.
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I always pitied Colm Meaney during episodes like "Up the Long Ladder" for that very reason, and respected his professionalism for still managing to keep a straight face and do his job in spite of that.
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gambit9526 wrote: »
    The hilarity of a proper cockney handing one of Treks standard big scarey aliens its A*** with some standard issue London sarcasm or phrasing would be entertaining. Stick a Glaswegian and a Northern Irishman next to him for a fight scene that would make the Klingons seem tame and also possibly more intelligible to the untrained ear.

Now I'm imagining a bloodied, dirtied London-born redshirt surrounded by a bunch of beaten down aliens shouting, "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!"

That or the Universal Translator shorting out trying to understand a group of quarreling Yorkshire and Lancastermen. :p
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    As a Scotsman myself I can assure you, that is one hell of a weird Scottish accent if it is one.

Well it's certainly not Irish. And she sounds exactly like a Scottish teacher I had in school.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    It's not a bad effort, it does sound more English than whatshername sounded Scottish. Though it would have been nice to have an Englishman from outside London (there are a few other places in England, not to mention the rest of the British Isles).

A Starfleet officer with a thick Yorkshire accent, I think I'd do that for Cryptic for free :P.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's canon for Frenchmen not to sound French. Chief example, Jean-Luc Picard, a Frenchman with an English accent. :D

not just Picard, every frenchman had an English accent

artan42 wrote: »
    It's not a bad effort, it does sound more English than whatshername sounded Scottish. Though it would have been nice to have an Englishman from outside London (there are a few other places in England, not to mention the rest of the British Isles).

A Starfleet officer with a thick Yorkshire accent, I think I'd do that for Cryptic for free :P.

please, it has to be a Geordie in the shipyard, ideally somewhere very cold with his shirt off

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    o4q123 wrote: »

Every Brit sounds like either Richard or Eddie, from Bottom, to me. :D
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    exa12 wrote: »
    please, it has to be a Geordie in the shipyard, ideally somewhere very cold with his shirt off

That's a great idea :D.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Being in intelligence I just hope he is no relation to the Burgess of the Cambridge Five spy ring!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Five

They do say history has a way of repeating itself. :eek:
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
This discussion has been closed.