test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proposal: Public Starbase, Embassy, Mine and Spire projects

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
In the interest of pursuing the sort of on-going content that gets everyone potentially involved regardless of fleet status, I propose that a public version of each of the fleet holding projects be implemented.

The costs for each of these would be based on player metrics. So the requirements may fluctuate from assignment to assignment. Lowest requirement would assume half of the active player population participating in the system.

What this would mean is that we could all contribute to the progress of the construction of new public zones. As that progress is made we would ALL see those zones evolve and grow around us.

Now to avoid making fleet holdings pointless, the public version of these facilities would not include fleet-specific equipment stores, but rather standard stores like any public hub. When a fleet member visits say the starbase, he or she would load into the fleet version. Anyone not associated with a fleet would load into the public version.

The important thing is to make sure that there is always a perk to joining a fleet.

An added mechanic to this system would be a requirement to keep the facilities supplied, which would involved weekly quotas of materials and personnel like the progression objectives require, but minus dilithium costs. Dilithium costs would only be involved in the unlocking of each tier, and once unlocked, only commodities upkeep would be required. Failing to meet upkeep costs could result in the facility degrading to a lower tier.

These facilities could have daily missions that yield choice rewards for commodities needed in thye current seasonal content, so there would be a end-game worthy use for them. At all tiers these rewards would be available, but the tier the facility in question is at would determine the quantity of the commodity that gets awarded.
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone
Post edited by sirsitsalot on

Comments

• Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Intresting idea to be sure. Full holdings but at community levels would be a good thing to see, also full visuals possible might inspire players to complete their own fleet holdings. Do you include the taxi service between these mini-hubs as well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Basic principle is fine, but I wouldn't want another embassy/mine/spire set.

Rather, I think it would work better if there was a basic area acting as a "hub", and further projects would be used to expand this area, depending on what route people want to take. So if people want to expand said area, they put their money/resources where their mouths are. So they decide what they want to build on next, perhaps having several areas and then people can donate to the projects of the areas they want to see more of.

Indeed using this system could be a way of taking player feedback on the games future, if I remember correctly it was intended that they would integrate a system like that into the reputation system, so why not put the two together? Indeed, expand upon it as a way of adding in new sector blocks, species (maybe even factions with really huge projects).
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    This also is something I have had a lot of thought about, and the addition of new sectors through completion of a reputation-like progression system would make for a good exploration/colonization side-game. Cryptic could even seed episodic content in these things as well.

The problem is if there was a big public one, it would render the development of a fleet one pointless when the public one was completed (as people would just head for the public one. So it would need to offer something different. A starbase would be a nice starting point for the system, which would then be expanded to other areas, maybe adding more exploration of planets in game like Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, Qo'Nos or New Romulus?

Funding exploration missions to add new sector blocks, or diplomatic missions for new species would be a nice addition as well. Obviously Cryptic/CBS would have the ultimate say in what would be decided, and would have to have the stuff prepared in advance, but I'm sure they could set the resource amounts to whatever they want.

They clearly have an interest in "time gating" content, so why not make this the basis for future content?
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i somehow get the feeling that this would just end up as another fleetholding and nothing more, players who are not wanting to join a fleet would likly be uninclined to get involved in such a venture.
    as you said, if you are a member of a fleet, when you visit the holding, you go to your fleet's instance of that holding.
    this would mean i guess that any fleet version could be differant to any other fleets version, just like a starbase or embassy ect.

i would rather the area was just the same for every player regardless of fleet much like new rom is but instead of being static like new rom where no matter what has been given in rep has made no differance to the overall look that things change day by day as people donate stuff.

it would also be good if comodities and dilithium ect could be syphened off to smaller fleets who are below a certain level but without any detriment to the progress of the area itself.

any donations to the area would be rewarded to the player as standard fleet marks that he/she could use to buy fleet gear as normal.

this would encourage players who are even in small fleets to donate to the project rather then their own fleet.

if perchance a non fleet members were to donate stuff they could be rewarded in a choice of marks or somesuch.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I really don't get what the point of this would be.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I seems to be a way to gain Fleet Credits w/waiting on your own fleet's projects aka personal gain.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

It's a way of giving the illusion that the players are in charge of the game's future direction, and give some feeling that they are contributing towards the game's future (they aren't really, it just looks that way).

It's just another way of adding content, and ensuring there is going to be new content being added and developed over time. Obviously this will always be there, but it gives us a picture of where things are heading, and gives Cryptic an idea what people are looking for (and where they are willing to spend their money).
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I've got a whole concept for exploration, colonization and industrialization banging around in my head. But what I propose here is the gateway that would need to be in place in order for that concept to actually work.

Well you might as well share it here, better to get it out, as one bit might be enough to encourage somebody reading it to implement the system.
  • Options
    thraxianxthraxianx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic really lost a great opportunity when it came to this system including the starbases, they could have created a territory system and they completely lost such a great opportunity. Im sick and tired of grinding for the starbase. Ive stopped, because im so burned out.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, still not getting it. No thanks.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    What part are you not getting? Just curious.

1. I don't get what benefit players would get that they don't get in a fleet.

2. If it is the whole community that contributes what is to stop most people freeloading off a few whales.

3. I don't see what Cryptic/PWE would get from this that would justify the resources needed to implement.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've played around with how this would work and my inkling is that the best way to do something on the order of a public fleet holding would probably be something that decays with time. Otherwise, the sheer number of players would trivialize it.

This would likely mean it's a location with a cover where contributions have to be handled "on site".

If you're going to basically have a venue with cover charges, then you probably also need to have some special stuff there so it isn't ignored by players who are in fleets.

As odd as it sounds, this would probably make the most sense as an ongoing "telethon" style public location where contributions (both number and quantity) turn various systems online and open up special vendors, rewards, games, and activities.

Also, you probably want several methods of contribution that all go towards the same pool of keeping the station online.

But basically, thematically, it would probably be represented as an advanced station under constant siege that is falling apart... And keeping it online would be a mix of people funneling in EC, dilithium, and maybe completing No Win Scenario style events. Enough teamwork and contribution could do things like get a T5 shipyard on for an hour, open up weapons vendors, etc.
  • Options
    derekslidederekslide Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Why would they do this when a similar system exists with the Fleet Holdings system?
    The simplest and logical solution, is for a player to look for and find a fleet that is compatible with his/her attitude/playstyle.

Then the person benefits from good company, fleet holdings and projects to contribute to.

If anything, I would like Cryptic to make Fleets gain more bonuses towards it's members.

Bonus experience, An extra 1 or 2k dilithium refinement per day, Bonus marks.
    I am sure however, that my ideas would come with their own set of problems.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like the concept behind this, but I'd rather they just enable them as transferable social zones. If people who are in a fleet with a T3 Spire warp to said Spire, they are automatically placed in a T3 Spire (a social one, not fleet bound). People would only be able to interact with NPC's that they've unlocked. If people, who are in a fleet, with only T1 Spire warp to said Spire, then they'd all be thrown into a public T1 Spire.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    derekslide wrote: »
    Why would they do this when a similar system exists with the Fleet Holdings system?
    The simplest and logical solution, is for a player to look for and find a fleet that is compatible with his/her attitude/playstyle.

Then the person benefits from good company, fleet holdings and projects to contribute to.

If anything, I would like Cryptic to make Fleets gain more bonuses towards it's members.

Bonus experience, An extra 1 or 2k dilithium refinement per day, Bonus marks.
    I am sure however, that my ideas would come with their own set of problems.

I take it as another step up, there is reputation for the single player level, fleet holdings for fleets, then a third tier for the entire player base. The suggested implementation simply isn't a good idea, but the core idea is good. We don't need public access to spires/embassies/etc. the system should be used for something else, rather than just duplicating what is already there. That's why I suggested it be used to "construct" social hubs, either future ones or expand on existing ones.
  • Options
    thraxianxthraxianx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In the interest of pursuing the sort of on-going content that gets everyone potentially involved regardless of fleet status, I propose that a public version of each of the fleet holding projects be implemented.

The costs for each of these would be based on player metrics. So the requirements may fluctuate from assignment to assignment. Lowest requirement would assume half of the active player population participating in the system.

What this would mean is that we could all contribute to the progress of the construction of new public zones. As that progress is made we would ALL see those zones evolve and grow around us.

Now to avoid making fleet holdings pointless, the public version of these facilities would not include fleet-specific equipment stores, but rather standard stores like any public hub. When a fleet member visits say the starbase, he or she would load into the fleet version. Anyone not associated with a fleet would load into the public version.

The important thing is to make sure that there is always a perk to joining a fleet.

An added mechanic to this system would be a requirement to keep the facilities supplied, which would involved weekly quotas of materials and personnel like the progression objectives require, but minus dilithium costs. Dilithium costs would only be involved in the unlocking of each tier, and once unlocked, only commodities upkeep would be required. Failing to meet upkeep costs could result in the facility degrading to a lower tier.

These facilities could have daily missions that yield choice rewards for commodities needed in thye current seasonal content, so there would be a end-game worthy use for them. At all tiers these rewards would be available, but the tier the facility in question is at would determine the quantity of the commodity that gets awarded.

Great idea in theory, but since when has Cryptic listened to anyone's great ideas? That has NEVER happened, never will because i completely agree with your position. Ive suggest, others have suggested a public space for those that are no apart of a fleet to participate in the building of something, they lost out on the opportunity to do this with the New Romulan Republic. But as others have pointed out, i don't want the same that has already been given. Besides, Cryptic would TRIBBLE it up one way or another.