test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Collecting Meaningful Feedback

blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
Dear Cryptic,

If nothing else, the expansion and changes have shown that you have a very passionate customer base ready and willing to share their feedback. I understand they don't always share in a helpful way, and that there's a lot of hostility mixed in there (understatement of the year), so here's a very simple way to turn it into something valuable.

Add a quick, in-game mission (call it "Evaluations" or whatever) that is nothing more than a 3-5 question feedback form, claimable once a week or once a month. Add a tiny incentive to get as many players engaged as possible (I'm thinking player's choice upon completion of 5 lobi crystals, 500 dilithium ore, 100 refined dilithium, or a 50-mark of your choice box).

If you're afraid of negative diatribes, limit it to "on a scale of 1 to 5..." radio choices or the like. Rotate these questions out periodically, whenever you have something new you want to learn (if you get really savvy, start personalizing the questions as players answer them).

Questions can be as simple as:
1. How likely are you to recommend STO to your friends?
2. Do you feel that C-store prices are fair for the content you receive?
3. How would you rate your excitement for Delta Rising based on what you know today?

And so on. Make sure you put it in-game (not in some random email) so you'll be able to directly tie the feedback to actual customer purchase and play behavior. Do you realize how many companies spend literally tens of millions of dollars - I know, I work in the industry - trying to get at the very data you have at your fingertips?

You WILL get some TRIBBLE data, I guarantee that.

Some people will do it only for rewards, some people will do it only to hate on/suck up to you - that's a fact of life. As you gain experience, you'll learn to identify and discount meaningless data (the player's are still getting their rewards, you just know to properly weight what they submit), but also potentially identify key players who are representatives of your actual customer base groupings. If you're really smart, you'll even start targeting those players to give more in-depth feedback.
Post edited by blazeritter on

Comments

• Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Add a quick, in-game mission (call it "Evaluations" or whatever) that is nothing more than a 3-5 question feedback form, claimable once a week or once a month. Add a tiny incentive to get as many players engaged as possible (I'm thinking player's choice upon completion of 5 lobi crystals, 500 dilithium ore, 100 refined dilithium, or a 50-mark of your choice box)

I can see the abuse by players now. Players just want the reward, so it won't help Cryptic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thegcbacon wrote: »
    I can see the abuse by players now. Players just want the reward, so it won't help Cryptic.

Ban abusers from public queues for an exponentially rising time* for each abuse, I bet it would stop real fast.

*For example..
    1 day
    4 days
    16 days.
    90 days.
    3 years.