test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Queue Revamps

Comments

• leokesler2012leokesler2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No revamp for old missions like The Big Dig or Breaking the Planet ?

At least, lower the number of players to start the mission to 10 (or 5). With KDF, I never been able to play The Big Dig and others fleet actions because the player limit.

(Excuse me my bad english)
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is this where I start the pool:

5 min after server activates and "elite" missions are available - forum complaint that elite missions are "too hard" for casual players.

15 min after server activation w/elites - Classic arguments of "don't pug, join fleet", "I deserve the most reward for my time, elites give that reward, I'm "entitled" to that reward level in my T1 Mk I starship", telling people to run normals / advanced till they have appropriate gearing, complaints about chat not being used, chat ignorance, rage fights in chat, rage fights in chat creating failures, etc. etc. populate forum

20 min in: 3 active moderators log the "hat trick" of warning and banning 3 people each due to the spillover of the chat rages into the forums.

"first night" maintenance - enemy strength reduced back down to current levels - allowing lolFaW boats to rule the server(s) again.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • derekslidederekslide Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    this might be interesting. though just cranking up hitpoints and damage even more is so boring and a missed opportunity to instead give the npcs more station powers, so they are more like a player ship. will just have to play everything like its NWS probably.

been playing missions on tribble at elite, and its just so boring, but i need the high xp payout to level. everything has between 175k to 500k hull, and ya faw is kind of worthless there because the damage just tickles them and they regen so before they die after 15-20 minutes you probably deal enough damage to the npc group to kill them twice. burring them down 1 at a time with 5 DHC CRF build works best, but its still just cycle abilities and chase for 1-5 minutes per npc.

this isn't actually more fun then 5 seconds to 1 minute like on normal. them throwing abilities back, having much lower hitpoints but healing would actually be fun. sci ships and sci captains would be useful here too, if npcs can really buff, debuffing them will actually seriously effect their baseline performance. nuke an npc now? well that FAW they can only use once every 2 minute... no the SNB would have worn off before it was going to be able to use it again anyway :rolleyes:

the least the devs could do here is on elite and advanced, give the npc skills the same uptime as they would have if you put 9 points into it. me me half way at least devs

I agree. Another missed opportunity to actually create challenging enemies.
  • myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Maybe it was just a dream i had, but...

When season 6(?), (give or take a season or two), was released,
    some of the borg spheres suddenly started running away from my attacks like they were using evasive maneuvers or something.
    I actually had to "pursue" some of them and hunt them down.
    That was fun!
    ...And I'd swear some of them actually altered course to "avoid" my ejected warp plasma.

This stopped happening after a week or two into the season,
    so I just figured a bunch of (girly-man), players complained that it was too hard,
    and the dev's changed it back.

Or maybe, it was just a dream...

lol

That was a bug in the way EPtX abilities worked on NPCs when they updated the mobs with broader skill sets and buffed the emergency power abilities for the players. (This was the same time period that using EPtA would decloak *anything* because you'd get ~1000% more stealth detection.) The huge boost to speed buff uptime meant that the spheres would cruise around in really unpredictable ways, but it wasn't the actual intent of the update so they scaled back the change with NPCs so they'd behave properly.

Probably the nicest change with that NPC update was adding all the more unusual ships into the Fed mobs, so KDF fleet alerts have to fight through Vestas and so on.
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Elite better, at the MINIMUM, give 2k Dilithium with how much emphasis your putting on the difficulty of it.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Does anyone really think this is going to change anything about how the game is played? I'll be very surprised if I see any or the rooms calling-out for Advanced difficulty, the only difference is now the people who like to not use those ridiculous FAW/CSV boats will be pretty much left with the choice of switching to playstyle they don't enjoy or never be able to get anything going. More AOE spam, more bags of HP, it'll just take longer. As if this game didn't have enough condescension already.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    To be honest I LIKE these announced changes. I just hope they don't go back on it after the ultra casuals start screaming "Advanced and Elite are TOO HARD! Why should I be denied the best queued content lootdrops in the game?!"
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do you people seriously think people won't just queue for advanced and elite anyway, despite not being able to handle it at all? This is going to make pugging even more of a pain in the TRIBBLE than it already is. There's a reason I usually only do the missions you technically can't fail as it is, and now no advanced content can claim that.

Currently I pug exclusively to avoid pretentious, elitist douchebags, but now I have to choose between specifically seeking them out or a high risk of a bunch of idiots TRIBBLE me out of full mission rewards.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My OPmitard is ready. Bring it ON, Delta Rising!
    I think we're gonna see a major new era in the "Post your worst STF Experience" thread...
    Indeed, we shall. I'll bet you three hundred million energy credits and one thousand lock box keys that the VERY FIRST THING about 5 thousand people will do when the new expansion comes out is get their shiny new C-store t6 ships and fly them unmodified into a New Elite (AKA Nightmare Mode) PUG.

Anyone want to bet AGAINST that? :cool:;):D
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i think this is great, as long as they withstand the nerf-brigade and keep/make it very very hard

ppl who like to just win win all the time with little to no efford can do normal/advanced

and I dont think too many ppl will keep queueing for elite when they just get blown up all the time

hopefully this will go through as good as it sounds
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do you people seriously think people won't just queue for advanced and elite anyway, despite not being able to handle it at all? This is going to make pugging even more of a pain in the TRIBBLE than it already is. There's a reason I usually only do the missions you technically can't fail as it is, and now no advanced content can claim that.

Currently I pug exclusively to avoid pretentious, elitist douchebags, but now I have to choose between specifically seeking them out or a high risk of a bunch of idiots TRIBBLE me out of full mission rewards.

Um, pot, meet kettle.

I really like how it must be that anyone who has a good build for DPS, or is in a successful fleet is an 'Elitist Douchebag' to you (and if that's not how you intended it, it's how it reads as you yourself state post DR, you will have to choose between these two types.

So, which one of the two groups you seem to lump all players in, are you?:eek:;)

[Here's a tip, find a Fleet or group of people you enjoy playing STO with and work on your builds/tactics together and try and ENJOY the game. PUGing is sub optimal in any MMO for endgame content usually.]
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Look at the bright side, the fail will happen much faster than it does now. So less time actually dealing with the migraine that is Elite PUGs.

Maybe it has been mentioned already, but will failing trigger the 'leaver penalty'? I would expect not, so hopefully if you get one of "those" teams, you fail quickly, get your partial reward, and get right back in queue.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • captainpurplecaptainpurple Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Definitely like this.

I guess my only question is will they re-vamp the faction participation for the queues too? KDF queues that reward fleet marks are still stagnant. Crystalline Entity and Defera Invasion are about it for fleet marks for KDF. The other queues are usually empty. I can keep grinding away, but having the other fleet mark queues being used would help reduce repetitive monotony. :)
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Might as well lock out ships less than T5-Us from elite or it's going to be an adventure in futility.
  • skymagus00skymagus00 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    splitboy wrote: »
    Hm strange the only Thing that is mentioned about raising the difficulty is enemies do more damage and have more hitpoints.

Still nothing that does imply less then pure DPS is the way to beat the challenge.

I don't know about that: all down together equalling fail would hopefully improve things for tanks, especially in space (ground tanking still has some uses).
    splitboy wrote: »
    Well i wait and see if we get suprised by real bossfight like mechanics that Need more then just pew pew.

This. Oh, so much this. However, they would have to improve the roll mechanic on the ground, because as it stands, you roll then are unable to move at a decent speed for a noticable few seconds, making it more productive to jump or simply sprint than roll. Rolling should be smooth and flowing, chainable with other moves (like jump/sprint) like in platformers, perhaps using an RPG-style fatigue bar? If nothing else, perhaps it should work more like dodge moves in Neverwinter? At present I find it stunted to the point of uselessness (yes, even with CC gear).

"Not every event is getting an Elite mode version for the launch of Delta Rising, but at least one for each Mark type is scheduled to be upgraded before then."

OK, I'm calling one for Omega now: HIVE! Also, as a ground fan, I hope there will be equal ground and space versions across all elite queues.

More challenge is highly welcome and I approve thoroughly. :D
  • stodeckerstodecker Member Posts: 0 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Yay!! Positron LIVES!!!! Hi Posi! :D

I've been alive the whole time. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Looks fantastic on paper, as long as the auto failures don't cause cooldowns. but just exactly what does Cryptic plan on doing about the trolls this is going to have drooling at the chance to make people miserable more than some already are?????? They have never lifted a finger against any of them in the past once, why should we consider now to be any different?

And before the ever tired "don't pug" gets shat out of someone's backside.. sometimes people need to, It's life.. Cryptic you better just ONCE grow a damned backbone, get tough, and start to deal with troublemakers you will have flying out of the woodwork because of these changes.. Don't do something like this and leave people screwed over like you do every other time.. Just ONCE prove your naysayers wrong honestly and correctly when it comes to policing problems parts of your game community..
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Um, pot, meet kettle.

I really like how it must be that anyone who has a good build for DPS, or is in a successful fleet is an 'Elitist Douchebag' to you (and if that's not how you intended it, it's how it reads as you yourself state post DR, you will have to choose between these two types.

I'm talking about the people who insist on you having about 20k dps despite only needing about a third of that (or less) in practice, the people who will give you hell if you can't basically solo the content. These are the same people who make up most of the easy to find regular players. I'm well aware that a great number of players are competent enough to do the content and aren't *******s, but actually finding them to play the game with is another matter entirely.

Oh and I have a decent fleet with good people in it, but due to time zone issues there's rarely a great amount of them online when I am, and even then we might not want to all play the same content at the same time.
  • stodeckerstodecker Member Posts: 0 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    For what it's worth:

We are fully cognizant that there will be complaints that it's too hard. We have no intention of going back on Elite and making it easier to achieve. This is the brass ring for you all to aspire to.

If anything our worry is that one or two might be too easy compared to the rest. We'll take steps to remedy those situations asap.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Yay!! Positron LIVES!!!! Hi Posi! :D
    Yeah, I'd heard somewhere that he'd 'come back' to Cryptic (so to speak) but hadn't heard what he was working on. Now if only we could get him in game (dare I say the USS Positron) so I can get a screenie with him and the Royal Sovereign, just like old times. ;)

Wow, first post after a dev - *that* hasn't happened to me in forever. ;) Love the avatar, Posi, that was always one of my top 3 TOS episodes...
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stodecker wrote: »
    I've been alive the whole time. :D

Then since I haven't seen you around much, I'll now send a big Qapla' for the KDF starting missions that came with LoR. ;)
    For what it's worth:

We are fully cognizant that there will be complaints that it's too hard. We have no intention of going back on Elite and making it easier to achieve. This is the brass ring for you all to aspire to.

If anything our worry is that one or two might be too easy compared to the rest. We'll take steps to remedy those situations asap.

And now with this quote Sir, you just earned yourself another sincere Qapla'!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    New/old Dev: who are you, what are you up to, you like bacon?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014

Lol, keeping tabs on the challenge level. I like it. I'm guessing the optionals on ground Borg STFs must be hell to complete now.

Since failing them seems to be easy now, why weren't the VR mats drop chances upped to 100%?
  • ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I personally like this, very much.
    But i am still afraid that those mission will be empty after pug players figure that they cant complete it.
    Best example is hive (which gives more marks than other stfs) and undine assault as well.
    Those are empty, because still there is not enough elite players to fill them 24/7.
    Like i said i like it, and really hope the rewards will be good enough that people want to keep trying to finish it.
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • sthraxpwesthraxpwe Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    saedeith wrote: »
    Might as well lock out ships less than T5-Us from elite or it's going to be an adventure in futility.

Normally I dislike mandatory gear reqs for content, but in this case I think they will be necessary. Between clueless types joining something beyond their equipment/abilities and trolls thinking its funny to jump into an elite queue in their T1 Connie, its going to be needed.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For what it's worth:

Thank you for the response.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For what it's worth:

nice to hear :)
  • morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Could you try one more thing?

Could you make these unlockable. This was an idea my fleetmate had (actually, he wanted a whole separate mission to unlock Elites but I don't think something so complex is necessary) and I think its a good thought.

I think you should look into only having Normal open at first and then unlocking Advanced if the player can achieve the optional objective on Normal Difficulty. Then unlocking the Elite for a mission only if they can achieve the optional on the Advanced version.

Fewer people queue for Normal. Making Advanced and Elite unlockable by say, obtaining an optional in Normal, would ensure that people who aren't ready for them go to Normal first. It'd ensure people queue in the Normal and Advanced and don't just fail farm the Elites, and it'd keep people who aren't quite prepared for the Elites from blundering in there and messing up a group that is prepared.
  • kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Lol, keeping tabs on the challenge level. I like it. I'm guessing the optionals on ground Borg STFs must be hell to complete now.

Since failing them seems to be easy now, why weren't the VR mats drop chances upped to 100%?

Because if the supply of Superior Kits is kept limited, then the average amount of Dil burned in upgrades rises.