test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO galaxy map contains a maximum of 1% Alpha Quadrant

tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
STO galaxy map contains a maximum of one percent Alpha Quadrant so why we need Gamma or Delta Q.?
Orion Arm
http://christopherlbennett.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/mandel-orion-arm-overlay.jpg
Local bubble in Orion arm
http://www.sslmit.unibo.it/zat/images/cartography/Milky-Way_map_500pc_grid.gif

After cancellation of exploring appears to be even smaller. Before, I at least imagined what might be behind f.e. Qo'noS Sector , flew here to Nebula and I met a strange ET What do they want me to kill five other weird ET
What to do at least an episode where we looked further afield, but not so far away , such as the Pleiades (300LY ) .
Have you ever played foundry mission with that theme? Something like that I would love to play it.
Post edited by tmassx on

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Why add the Gamma and Delta Quadrants? Because they were featured in Star Trek and have a strong fanbase. That's really the only reason that's needed.

As for Foundry missions, I'm sure there are many exploration missions to be found.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2014
    I don't mind Delta, exactly, so long as it doesn't become the focus for the remainder of the game. Since Alpha is apparently so little filled out, I would like to see more exploration storyline here. Same with Beta, since it is so "close".
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tmassx wrote: »
    STO galaxy map contains a maximum of one percent Alpha Quadrant so why we need Gamma or Delta Q.?
    There was a Poll where Cryptic asked us which of the TV Series we wanted to see them incorporate more material from into the game. Voyager won, and thus we are going to the Delta Quadrant.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • onehalfklingononehalfklingon Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "There was a Poll where Cryptic asked us which of the TV Series we wanted to see them incorporate more material from into the game. Voyager "won", and thus we are going to the Delta Quadrant.

Fixed that for ya. That "poll" was a put-up job.
    edited August 2014
    "There was a Poll where Cryptic asked us which of the TV Series we wanted to see them incorporate more material from into the game. Voyager "won", and thus we are going to the Delta Quadrant.

Fixed that for ya. That "poll" was a put-up job.
    So people voted for Voyager and a year later we are doing Voyager stuff, and thus it was a put-up job?

I guess it is just easier to blame Cryptic for all the wrongs in the universe then for people to take responsibility for their own choices. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Actually... if you look it up... around half the STO galaxy map is the BETA quadrant. IIRC the line goes vertically down the middle of Sirius.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the left edge of Sirius.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    So people voted for Voyager and a year later we are doing Voyager stuff, and thus it was a put-up job?

I guess it is just easier to blame Cryptic for all the wrongs in the universe then for people to take responsibility for their own choices. :)

Or people really don't want to admit that Voyager was interesting.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Or people really don't want to admit that Voyager was interesting.

Or a non-statistically significant number of people actually took part.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    when are we going to get the Andromeda Galaxy? that's what ppl want
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Where is this poll anyway? I can't seem to find it. All these assumptions about the poll being rigged or not having enough participants are moot if we can't actually see the data.

Also, sci-fi writers have no sense of scale.
    edited August 2014
    Where is this poll anyway? I can't seem to find it. All these assumptions about the poll being rigged or not having enough participants are moot if we can't actually see the data.

Also, sci-fi writers have no sense of scale.
    Your SearchFu is weak, grasshopper. :)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=797751&highlight=poll
    edited August 2014
    It is. Thank you.

Looks reasonable to me. I don't see anything that looks off about it. The results seem to match up somewhat with that Cryptic is doing:
    Voyager: 45%, Delta Quadrant Expansion
    Deep Space 9: 18%, already present
    Enterprise: 15%: Xindi lockbox

Things to point out:

This is an online poll, and thus can potentially be manipulated by savvy voters to vote more than once.

2,329 (plus me voting to test the above statement) seems like a sufficient sample size to me.

The sample is not a random sample (and thus may not be representative of the playerbase as a whole) because the responders are self-selected. They must a) be present on the forums b) find the poll and c) care enough to vote.
    edited August 2014
    It is. Thank you.

Looks reasonable to me. I don't see anything that looks off about it. The results seem to match up somewhat with that Cryptic is doing:
    Voyager: 45%, Delta Quadrant Expansion
    Enterprise: 15%: Xindi lockbox

Things to point out:

This is an online poll, and thus can potentially be manipulated by savvy voters to vote more than once.

2,329 (plus me voting to test the above statement) seems like a sufficient sample size to me.

The sample is not a random sample (and thus may not be representative of the playerbase as a whole) because the responders are self-selected. They must a) be present on the forums b) find the poll and c) care enough to vote.
    As for the "Enterprise" thing, that could also explain why they added the Suliban to the game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Voters: 2731

Only? Here on forum at least occasionally go around 50k people. If the vote were announced better and lasted longer , maybe the results would have been different.
    I still miss a well known places as Ferenginar, Gorn, Betazed , Trill or Tellar.
    edited August 2014
    Maybe, maybe not. Many of the 50k people may not be people at all: they may be "robots" which crawl the web picking things for search results and mining other data. I doubt we've aver had 50k registered users at once, and it appears that you have to be registered and signed into the forum to vote.

As for it lasting open longer, it's still open. People were still posting in the thread three months later. Someone has voted since thecosmic1 linked it here.

If I recall, it was in the newfeed on the main site.

Could they have gotten more accurate information than they did? Probably, but only with great difficulty. It's hard to get good solid data for groups this large. About the only way I can think of to ensure a really really wide viewing of the poll would be to put it in game as a pop up, and I don't think the engine supports that. And people would start getting annoyed and crying "DOOOM POP UP ADS INCOMING!"

While I would like to see more alpha quadrant stuff too, I don't think we can really fault Cryptic for following through on the results of the poll.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Way back I voted for Voyager. Does that mean that im a Cryptic bot that was responsible for rigging the poll?
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
    edited August 2014
    I voted DS9. :P

Why? I'd love to be able to go to the Gamma Quadrant as part of the galaxy map.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I voted for Voyager also. Not because I have any particular love for Voyager, but rather the opposite: If a big, steaming dookie is to be taken on something...

Naturally, it stands to reason that Voyager was the natural winner, since as a voting option, it combines both those who loved it, and those who were less than enthusiastic about it and quality of the work here in general.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    I'm sorry but are we able to change the direction of the next release based on a forum post? Cryptic does listen to feedback here, but in this case I think it's too late ;)

The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

• lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Delta Rising is already nearly finished except for the beta testing and tweaking, but Expansion 3 (probably 2016) might be DS9 or Enterprise-based if enough players vote for it.
    edited August 2014
    tmassx wrote: »
    Voters: 2731

Only? Here on forum at least occasionally go around 50k people. If the vote were announced better and lasted longer , maybe the results would have been different.
    I still miss a well known places as Ferenginar, Gorn, Betazed , Trill or Tellar.
    The forum never goes 50k people. When you register for the game you also register for the forum, but do not fool yourself into believing that there has ever been more then 3-4k people posting on this forum at one time. In fact, the majority of posts and forum noise are made by less then 1,000 people - power-posters like myself who seem to turn up in many places on the forum.

And the Poll was part of a State of the Game - which is one of the most read posts Cryptic makes each year. It was well known. The fact that you do not remember from a year ago does not mean others did not. I clearly did. :)
    edited August 2014
    Delta Rising is already nearly finished except for the beta testing and tweaking, but Expansion 3 (probably 2016) might be DS9 or Enterprise-based if enough players vote for it.
    Expansion Pack 3 will end up being the Cardassian Faction. They have already made references to it being the case - assuming the game gets a third EP.
    edited August 2014
    Any another poll would be good.
    As for the Cardassians might fit well into the next season (11 or 12) , yet only sector have already done , just do a city , add numbers to Keldon and Hideki , Galor lower tier , think off a scientific ship, ten episodes and it might be enough to start the mini-faction.
    edited August 2014
    And the Poll was part of a State of the Game - which is one of the most read posts Cryptic makes each year. It was well known. The fact that you do not remember from a year ago does not mean others did not. I clearly did. :)

here is the answer
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Hiding this poll in a state of the game post was a bad idea. It needs it's own post on the home page.
    edited August 2014
    Eh. I dunno. I hardly ever go to the home page, especially since the ARC site went up. I go to the forums and get new posts on facebook. I think that the State of the Game post really was the best place to put it.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Well DS9 contained a lot more then what is already in the game. As the Gamma Quadrant for instance. Lots of new species not to forget the Dominion and what's going on there now.

DS9 also took place before Voyager and is the third quadrant.