test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beam: Target aux, shields, or weapons for PvE?

rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
For the sake of PvE, mostly interested in monolithic boss fights like donatra, TBE citadels, borg gateways or TAC cubes, and not as much the lesser ships:

If you had to prioritize ONE target subsystem mode, what is best to use? Mainly if you're using that useless ensign slot for Beam: Target.... boff skills.

I know it's not great, I know there are better options. I'm not too interested in them. I'm curious about what subsystem would most affect the enemy. Is the Unimatrix using aux power for its special attacks? Or is it using weapons power? How does that work? If I target aux, will I stop special attacks from some boss ships? Or are those hard-coded to work regardless of what aux it has? Should I go with weapons for breathing space? Or does that not work, either? I know Target: shields works to a small extent, but I'm honestly wondering if target: aux or weapons would have better results.

I assume sci ship subsystem targetting is also the same mechanic.
Post edited by rodentmaster on

Comments

• Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Weapons with some other drain (plasmonic or polaron) seems to work 100% reliably againt the gate

Otherwise its usually Shields just to soften them up

NPCs mostly ignore Aux offline (esp Donatra). Sometimes target Engines will work but most NPCs dont move around very much
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Urus got it on the head
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The biggest should be a no brainer, weapons subsystem, they cannot attack you if it is shut down, and even if it isn't completely shut down, a little less WP causes them to do a tiny bit less damage.

After that I would say a toss up between shields, and engines.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    That's good to know. Thanks, folks!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    That's good to know. Thanks, folks!

Of course if your CRTH is high, you could make good use of the romulan rep trait sensor targeting assault, and opt for shield, or engine subsystem targeting.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure it's worth losing a more useful rep to slot that. The rep slots are far too few as it is.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd say weapons - if you are not taking damage then you don't have to worry about healing yourself.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I usually don't target weapons because once I get a NPC drained with other stuff, it doesn't really matter. I go for shields usually. Makes NPCs squishy.

I have a tac ship that uses polarized disruptors with high flow caps for PvE and it's really good at softening and blowing up stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well in the situation of my drain build, even when I target some other subsystem, I am always after their weapons power at the same time.

Not to mention, 2 chances of a random subsystem being shutdown also at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I am squishy to some degree, but not as bad as one might think.

I prefer constant subsystem power levels, always being pressured into draining, or simply shutdown.