test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Taking older ships out for a spin

gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
Alright, so silly question time to get away from the rage and hatred of the recent changes, though this is PROBABLY more geared towards the Feddy players: who here likes to fly around in the older, weaker ships?

I mostly ask because I've had the hankering to retrieve an Exeter and fly around in that for awhile. I had a nostalgia feeling hit me watching a few Trek clips and I had the urge to fly around in the Connie refit, which also hurts because we know that, MAYBE barring a sudden Mirror Ship appearance like with the Mirror Universe Ki'tang, we'll never get a Tier 5 version of it.

(And no, this wasn't a veiled "I want a Tier 5 Connie" thread. It's just that I wanted to fly around in the old Tier 2 version and felt it was odd, seeing as my Federation character is Level 50)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I often fly in older ships or even shuttles so you doing it isn't odd at all. .
    JtaDmwW.png
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Earlier this year, I started a character who will only fly the Miranda-class light cruise. Ever.

So far, I found it very enjoyable. During the Surface Tension FE, I really felt the strength of the enemy forces and the reinforcements I was able to muster carried a lot of weight. Every aspect of ship combat became challenging and every success became that much enjoyable.

As a note, out of consideration for other players, I don't do queued events with this character.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Earlier this year, I started a character who will only fly the Miranda-class light cruise. Ever.

So far, I found it very enjoyable. During the Surface Tension FE, I really felt the strength of the enemy forces and the reinforcements I was able to muster carried a lot of weight. Every aspect of ship combat became challenging and every success became that much enjoyable.

As a note, out of consideration for other players, I don't do queued events with this character.

if i were you, i'd do at least once, just to see the reactions :D
    one of my fleet member has a constitution with retro phasers to annoy folks from time to time :) on these "difficult" "elite" maps -1 people doesn't matter.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When helping lower level players level up, I frequently use lower Tier ships, so I don't feel "too" God-Mode. It's still pretty easy unless you strip your weapons off as well.

I've participated in themed low-tier runs from time to time.

I used to frequently use my Exeter in the exploration clusters at Level 50, and found it made the missions more challenging.

So yes, you are not alone. :)

I DO NOT pug with low level ships though, out of courtesy for others, unless I'm bringing several people who can carry my weight. I know some who can carry their weight alone in an Exeter, and still crank out respectable DPS.

If you haven't, check out the Star Trek Battles channel over in the Federation Gameplay forum. An amazing group of people, and they often are game to do themed lower-tier/TOS runs.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    if i were you, i'd do at least once, just to see the reactions :D
    one of my fleet member has a constitution with retro phasers to annoy folks from time to time :) on these "difficult" "elite" maps -1 people doesn't matter.

I rather not, as I'm not playing STO to annoy people. The only time I would go into a queued event with this ship is if a group of us decide to do ESTFs in Tier 1 and/or 2 ships.

Which is why I enjoy Battlezones. Just fly in and contribute to the fight instead of relying on 4 other people to carry me throughout an entire STF.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Join the Crazy Nova Captains Club! Fly your FED Nova-class (or Rhode Island-class) ship, zip and turn at rapid speeds while delivering heals (or hinderances) via your SCI BOffs and SCI consoles! Good times! :)

Actually, I'm referring moreso to the Mirror Universe Science Vessel Refit... so that doesn't count as a truly older ship. :rolleyes:

Back to the OP's topic:
    I've recently taken the FED Oberth-class and NX-class ships for a spin with my Lvl 50 toons. I did so in the Exploration areas, namely Delta Volanis, before Cryptic removed them from the game. Out of respect for other players, I don't join STF queues with them. But there is a necro thread (from 2013) about players who have done this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=595551

There are some fun videos posted on YouTube, too, where players play in STFs with lower-tier ships.