Install Arc

NEW MISSION: Shadows of Methuselah

helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
BANNER_SHAD_METHUSELAH_1200x_zps0361c5d3.jpg

Shadows of Methuselah

by helixfungus

Federation sided

level 50+

The mission qualifies for standard foundry rewards (dilithium)

A long forgotten Star Trek classic guest reappear in this mission. In his last words to captain James T. Kirk he promised to study ways to ease human condition but since then nodoby knew anything more about him...

If you play this mission you will peek at Flint of TOS episode "Requiem for Methuselah" , and what he created after the encounter with the classic NCC - 1701...

There is romance for your straight male lead character. You have the choice to turn it down anyway if not interested or do not feel confortable with the idea.

Proofread and support on dialogs made by my good friend Ashkrik23, who I thank deeply for the help.
Post edited by helixfungus on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Congrats on the official release
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    On my to-play list. You currently have one mission ahead of you.

The description really grabbed me. I'll re-watch TOS's "Requiem" before playing for a refresher on Flint. Awesome that you decided to utilize a one-shot classic character. Never seen him used again save for a short appearance in Greg Cox's "Eugenics Wars" books.
    edited July 2014
    Glad I reviewed the TOS episode before playing, as it helped me to follow a little bit of what was going on. I'm a sucker for homages to past Trek episodes.

The dialogue really needs a bit more tightening up and made to feel a little more like characters in the Trek universe. Some of the quips back to my senior officers felt a bit inappropriate.

There we were some instances where I felt unsure of where I should be heading, the subspace pocket for example. One minute I'm going towards one end, then back the other direction, and then back again. Back and forth is a bit bothersome in a giant starship.

I enjoyed the level designs and the battles seemed to balance out nicely. One particular skirmish that I enjoyed saw myself and my entire landing party incapacitated save for my one Ensign security officer. As she emerged victorious and revived us all, I decided that it was time to promote her. Cool moment for me.

I liked the direct references to "Requiem for Methuselah" and the final scene was actually a bit moving.

I gave this a 3 out of 5 stars.
  • helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dear Khreg...

First of all I really thank you to have invested your time to play my mission... In effect
    I must concour that actually see the TOS "Requiem" episode before can boost immersion for sure !
    You point out various issues though, and I'll try to answer to them.

I had this science concept idea of the Transporter tecnology used to acquire immortality,
    then I remembered Flint and his promise to "ease the human condition" way back in that TOS episode... the story formed in my mind almost immediately.

In my Foundry style I use the players senior officers to ease immersion (Your Science Officer says...), and I think showing that this people know each other quite well and reacts with concern, or actively disagreeing to the player is Trekkish enough...
    The quipping back at your senior officer mirrors familiarity and chemistry between people
    that share dangers every day, just like Kirk and his staff, or Picard ans his crew etc.

The intestine-like subspace pocket level was rather challenging to forward... you say there
    is a back and forth too much... for the sake of the story I had to put the planet in the
    largest point of the pre-made map, and unfortunately that point was in the mid of it... so I
    tried to manage the objective best way I could... maybe I will change a bit that map, when
    the Foundry editor recovers from the 9.5 bashing.

Some other players who have gone through "Shadows" say that I should revise its phrases... Let me clarify that English is not my primary language. Throw at me soft rocks, the hard ones hurt...

Thanks again, but... hey... only 3 out of 5...?
  • helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The mission now qualifies for standard foundry rewards (dilithium) !
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Congrats! 10chars.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited July 2014
    The mission now qualifies for standard foundry rewards (dilithium) !

Most excellent!