test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Single Aux2Damp or Dual Aux2Damp?

toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Basically it's all about the question in the title.

Which of these two builds would you fly in PvE (STFs)? Doffs are in the notes. Weapons would be DHCs and turrets.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=singleaux2damp_0

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=dualaux2damp_0

It pretty much all boils down to:

Eng team and full uptime of Aux2Damp vs. 23/30 uptime of Aux2Damp + high Energy damage resistance + 1 (or 2) free doff slots.

Which would you find preferable?

Note: I'm highly unlikely to change anything on those builds, I've recently gotten lucky and gotten a purple M/AM doff so neither of the two options is any costly for me and so I just can't decide on which to use. (And better to see if I can decide before binding the doff in question. I could sell it if not used, after all.)
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like your dual Aux2Damp build myslelf. It's just about the same as my build. It's especially nice while fighting the Undine because it makes you immune to the push of their beams.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If I use any AtD, I'll use it 2x to keep uptime at 100%. Sudden changes in performance handling drive me crazy.

Also if I may suggest:

EPtS1, AtD1, EPtA3, AtS3
    ET1, AtD1
    PH1, HE2, GW1

Full aux from EPtA3 will give you massive buffs and heals, and if you use the Nukara T4 passives you'll get even more offensive and defensive power.

EPtA3 also buffs your sci skills pretty high.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pretty rough ship to forgoe aux2bat.

Pretty epic idea, go single aux2bat and toss some cannon doffs on there for good measure.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=prettybigdrag_0
    So 3 techs, 2 cannon doffs and 1 of your choice... and enjoy some epic power slides with quite a few abilities at global...sadly you have to pass on an attack pattern. you weren't using one to begin with so it isn't a total loss for your style.

Not related to your question but this ship is a prime candidate for why aux2bat is in the game...

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=aux2batstyke_0
    3 techs and whatever you prefer...

The ship needs some cooldown reducers to be viable of any sort and single aux2bat just doesn't do enough.

Cheers
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Pretty rough ship to forgoe aux2bat.

Pretty epic idea, go single aux2bat and toss some cannon doffs on there for good measure.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=prettybigdrag_0
    So 3 techs, 2 cannon doffs and 1 of your choice... and enjoy some epic power slides with quite a few abilities at global...sadly you have to pass on an attack pattern. you weren't using one to begin with so it isn't a total loss for your style.

Not related to your question but this ship is a prime candidate for why aux2bat is in the game...

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=aux2batstyke_0
    3 techs and whatever you prefer...

The ship needs some cooldown reducers to be viable of any sort and single aux2bat just doesn't do enough.

Cheers

Your builds are really good, but I think toiva's build is built around the GW + Grav TS combo with CSV mixed in. To maximize that one needs the T4 nukara rep trait that boosts all damage, which will boost the damage from GW and the rifts from the torpedos.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Your builds are really good, but I think toiva's build is built around the GW + Grav TS combo with CSV mixed in. To maximize that one needs the T4 nukara rep trait that boosts all damage, which will boost the damage from GW and the rifts from the torpedos.

Then she's stuck with aux2bat or needs a different ship
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Then she's stuck with aux2bat or needs a different ship

"He"

Well, thanks for your insights.

I'd use the dual Aux2Batt build (I think pretty much identical to your suggestion, Dahminus), but I'm fed up with Aux2Batt. All my latest builds are Aux2Batt. Also I hate micromanaging Aux power for GW with Aux2Batt.

I went for Aux2Damp as it's revealed itself as impressive when it comes to enhancing manoeuvrability and that's where I've always struggled somewhat with Battlecruisers (and here I'd also need it for well placed GWs).

Thanks Ursusmorologus for the EPtA idea, I may have entirely forgotten to include that in my thoughts... And speaking of sudden handling performance shifts, I may see if it drives me nuts on Tribble. If so, we got a winner: Dual Aux2Damp.

And yes, I typically use the Nukara Tier 4.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How about using a2d and a2sif in tandem?

Use 3 x dce, 2 TT reducing conn doffs and the a2d doff

You can keep epts3, eptw but instead of having to double both, you can keep a spare epts1 incase of failure, ie

com eng - eptw1, a2d1, epts3, rsp3
    lt eng epts1, a2sif 1

As you are not too concerned about firepower it seems, this setup and doffs would reduce a2d cd and give a powerful heal+resist via a2sif while also ensuring your epts never completely fails, meaning increased surviviability as you always will have a large hull resist (so much so I -never- use neuts) and the shield resist found in epts (also meaning that tss2 can be replaced with tractor beam (which considering the low arc build, could be very useful
    edited July 2014
    burstorion wrote: »
    How about using a2d and a2sif in tandem?

Use 3 x dce, 2 TT reducing conn doffs and the a2d doff

You can keep epts3, eptw but instead of having to double both, you can keep a spare epts1 incase of failure, ie

com eng - eptw1, a2d1, epts3, rsp3
    lt eng epts1, a2sif 1

As you are not too concerned about firepower it seems, this setup and doffs would reduce a2d cd and give a powerful heal+resist via a2sif while also ensuring your epts never completely fails, meaning increased surviviability as you always will have a large hull resist (so much so I -never- use neuts) and the shield resist found in epts (also meaning that tss2 can be replaced with tractor beam (which considering the low arc build, could be very useful

DCE doffs are included in the double Aux2Damp build. And HE with the ET in that double build should ensure hull heals.

And why would you use EPtS1, EPtS3 and EPtW1 with DCE doffs? That's EPtS1 too many.

EDIT: I read too fast. You want to keep EPtS1 in case of failure. That's unnecessary in my 2 year experience with DCE doffs.

• oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i used 2x Aux2Damps w/DOff with almost all my toons for 100% uptime as well. some ppl says that Aux2Damps is a PvP build only, but tell u the truth every NPC enemy no matter what build u make are still weak. but then again i make all my characters with PvP builds even though most of my characters only purpose is PvE Battlezone farming :O
    edited July 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    DCE doffs are included in the double Aux2Damp build. And HE with the ET in that double build should ensure hull heals.

And why would you use EPtS1, EPtS3 and EPtW1 with DCE doffs? That's EPtS1 too many.

EDIT: I read too fast. You want to keep EPtS1 in case of failure. That's unnecessary in my 2 year experience with DCE doffs.

If you delve into pvp, a single fail on a dce roll can (rarely) be fatal, thus I like redundancy if the build can stand it (personal choice borne of lengthy discussions with fleetmates) - as to my logic regarding et versus a2sif, a2sif is an aux dependant hull heal that affects a2ds cd like a2b undoffed - and of course a2sif offers a hull resist bonus and more importantly - its cd is 15s, meaning you need no doffs for one copy to have the same cd as a eng team paired/doffed to gcd

Now if you consider that the doffed a2d is granting huge resists too, the combination of both can easily bump your hull resist to 50%+ without any neutronium type all resist consoles - the a2sifs heal ensuring you'll almost always be able to ignore even heavy pve mob bleedthrough (and even estf borg plasma burn sometimes)

Of course if you don't want the redundancy, you can slot a eng team as well - thus you'll have a heal every 15s, every 30 seconds (a2sif and et) and every 45 secords (a2sif and he) - thats a huge amount of healing for a ship and will ensure its survival while its firepower is brought to bear
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you delve into pvp, a single fail on a dce roll can (rarely) be fatal, thus I like redundancy if the build can stand it (personal choice borne of lengthy discussions with fleetmates) - as to my logic regarding et versus a2sif, a2sif is an aux dependant hull heal that affects a2ds cd like a2b undoffed - and of course a2sif offers a hull resist bonus and more importantly - its cd is 15s, meaning you need no doffs for one copy to have the same cd as a eng team paired/doffed to gcd

I dislike chance doffs in general, DCEs just don't feel safe enough, and the payoff is pretty small for 3 whole slots. There needs to be a way to achieve 100% EptX uptime without doubling up or going A2B.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited July 2014

Now if you consider that the doffed a2d is granting huge resists too, the combination of both can easily bump your hull resist to 50%+ without any neutronium type all resist consoles - the a2sifs heal ensuring you'll almost always be able to ignore even heavy pve mob bleedthrough (and even estf borg plasma burn sometimes)

Of course if you don't want the redundancy, you can slot a eng team as well - thus you'll have a heal every 15s, every 30 seconds (a2sif and et) and every 45 secords (a2sif and he) - thats a huge amount of healing for a ship and will ensure its survival while its firepower is brought to bear

I see. Well, truth is the one slot I am likely to change is the RSP3. That could then maybe become Aux2SIF, or warp plasma (given the speed, and some investment to particle gens, could be useful).

edited July 2014
    I dislike chance doffs in general, DCEs just don't feel safe enough, and the payoff is pretty small for 3 whole slots. There needs to be a way to achieve 100% EptX uptime without doubling up or going A2B.

2 purples are very much fine in PvE. If like Burstorion you dabble in PvP, then it may get troublesome (not my case).

edited July 2014
    I wouldnt take that ship into PVP map. Its not fleet-level so you are going to be at a 10% disadvantage on shield and hull hit-points vs every other ship (and other disadvantages for some of the others). Its a fine ship for PVE though, and 100% uptime on stuff is less important there.
    edited July 2014
    Update: Yeah, the incomplete uptime on a single Aux2Damp even with a purple M/AM doff pisses me off.

Dual Aux2Damp it is then. Thanks for helping with that decision.

Now I need to test whether EPtA will give more benefits than EPtW and see about that Commander eng. Sadly Aux2SIF is out of the question with 2 Aux2Damp (that I'll use without the doff).

edited July 2014
    Update: Yeah, the incomplete uptime on a single Aux2Damp even with a purple M/AM doff pisses me off.

Dual Aux2Damp it is then. Thanks for helping with that decision.

Now I need to test whether EPtA will give more benefits than EPtW and see about that Commander eng. Sadly Aux2SIF is out of the question with 2 Aux2Damp (that I'll use without the doff).

I have heard you can do a a2d-a2sif-a2d build if you are good at managing the timings (its one of those setups that cannot be set to space bar) - the trick supposedly is to use the a2d doffs lengthened activation time to slot in the a2sif then fire the next a2d as soon as it comes off the cd caused by using a2sif

You might want to try that if you plan to ditch rsp
    edited July 2014
    I have heard you can do a a2d-a2sif-a2d build if you are good at managing the timings (its one of those setups that cannot be set to space bar) - the trick supposedly is to use the a2d doffs lengthened activation time to slot in the a2sif then fire the next a2d as soon as it comes off the cd caused by using a2sif

You might want to try that if you plan to ditch rsp

Heh. Sounds like too much trouble, but since I'm on tribble, let's try it out as well.

Another update: I'll keep using EPtW and putting more default power in Aux rather than the opposite. The 10% bonus energy damage is too good to pass on compared to 10 particle and graviton gens, even when using GW and Graviton torp.

Also I'm reducing the Commander possibilities to Aux2SIF3 (if by chance I manage using it), Warp plasma 3 and RSP 3. None I like (RSP3 too long CD, I hate changing position for Warp plasma, Aux2SIF probably won't work) but I don't see better.

EDIT: Lol, the Aux2SIF thing actually works. With a purple Aux2Damp doff, you can keep full uptime on Aux2Damp x 2 and include one Aux2SIF in the middle. But since I'll have Eng team anyway and higher resists, I'm not convinced the very time-limited Aux2SIF would be beneficial.

• ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just my 2 cents, but without A2B, you simply don't have quite enough of this or that to keep something running often enough, especially in tactical.

This ship is best run with A2B, using beam arrays to allow use of an attack pattern. If you have to use a torpedo and can't live with out a torp spread or high yield, you can ditch having an attack pattern.

Either way, too much is sacrificed on this ship without A2B.
    edited July 2014
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents, but without A2B, you simply don't have quite enough of this or that to keep something running often enough, especially in tactical.

This ship is best run with A2B, using beam arrays to allow use of an attack pattern. If you have to use a torpedo and can't live with out a torp spread or high yield, you can ditch having an attack pattern.

Either way, too much is sacrificed on this ship without A2B.

I entirely agree with you. But as I already said, I need something new. Aux2Damp with GW sounds fun for a change.

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have a purple M/AM doff that I use with A2D on a couple of my cruisers. A2SIF is nearly useless on these builds if I'm trying to keep the most up-time on A2D that I can. It will never be available when needed, unless you haven't been using A2D at all. In which case, why bother?

If you're going to use A2D full-time don't bother with A2SIF. If you're going to use it at the proper time, to get resistances while going into a bad situation or to help turn a lugging cruiser around faster, then yes they can co-incide much like TT and ET used to co-incide before the cooldown triggers were removed on those.

It depends on how you use it. If you've got full-uptime in mind, then don't mix and match. Just run 2x A2D and be done with it. Use HE and ET for your hull heals. I wouldn't bother with EPtA either. Run EPtW and EPtS as normal. You can't tank forever. You need to deal enough damage to kill the folks pounding on you. EPtW does that. EPtS is a no brainer because resistances will do nothing if you have no shields and get killed instantly.
    edited July 2014
    Good point about the shared cooldowns, forgot about that when I posted

EPtA is very useful if you already have T4 nukara. Look at the trait icons in the reputation screen (not in the trait screen), and it will show you how much of what is being buffed.
    edited July 2014
    Traits are limited in slots. Running the T4 Nuk traits is a bit of a waste. Instead of getting some small bonus in a few subsets of skill points, you can just run EPtW and get a direct, immediate damage output bonus. It's not just power that increases damage, you get a solid damage buff on top of the power. Same for shields. Instead of running EPtA and Nuk defensive for a few minor buffs, just run EPtS and get direct shield power as well as solid damage resist % on top of that.
    edited July 2014
    Ursusmorologus, it's better to just run higher default Aux power for the Nukara trait and all other abilities and use EPtW than only EPtA.

In line of what Rodentmaster says, I get the same amount of bonus power I can send wherever I want, but the static 10% energy bonus on EPtW is just better than 10 to some sci skills in this case.

Overall, I think I'm set on this. Thanks all for your input.

Btw. the curious interplay between doffed Aux2Damp and Aux2SIF might be something I'll consider on another ship soon.

• nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ursusmorologus, it's better to just run higher default Aux power for the Nukara trait and all other abilities and use EPtW than only EPtA.

In line of what Rodentmaster says, I get the same amount of bonus power I can send wherever I want, but the static 10% energy bonus on EPtW is just better than 10 to some sci skills in this case.

Overall, I think I'm set on this. Thanks all for your input.

Btw. the curious interplay between doffed Aux2Damp and Aux2SIF might be something I'll consider on another ship soon.

Seriously, you need a different boat.

A2d is relevant mostly in pvp, not pve. But at this point that's the least of what's wrong with this picture.

I get what you're trying to do - using a2d to make the whale nimble enough to fit dhcs?

But turn rate is actually the least of the problems. This will not end up well. It's a cruiser with 3x tac skill slots. You need 6 effective tac skills to be competitive. That makes this a one trick pony - a2b, which is mutually exclusive with a2d.

Dhc boats get lower dps than beam array boats to begin with, even Kumari barely pushes 30k, and that's doubling up on beta, csv, tt, and sometimes torp spreads. Most of them tops out at 20k. Your engineering cruiser has 3 low tac skill slots - a lieutenant and an ensign, 3 instead of 5 tac consoles, and 4 instead of 5 forward weapons. You'd be doing maybe 5k no matter how fast you turn, because you'll be hitting single rats with basic attack.

Nukara trait is icing on the cake for people with optimized fits who ran out of other sources of extra dps. It's a drop in a bucket, and nowhere enough to dig you out of the dps hole due to tac deficit.
    edited July 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    Seriously, you need a different boat.

A2d is relevant mostly in pvp, not pve. But at this point that's the least of what's wrong with this picture.

I get what you're trying to do - using a2d to make the whale nimble enough to fit dhcs?

But turn rate is actually the least of the problems. This will not end up well. It's a cruiser with 3x tac skill slots. You need 6 effective tac skills to be competitive. That makes this a one trick pony - a2b, which is mutually exclusive with a2d.

Dhc boats get lower dps than beam array boats to begin with, even Kumari barely pushes 30k, and that's doubling up on beta, csv, tt, and sometimes torp spreads. Most of them tops out at 20k. Your engineering cruiser has 3 low tac skill slots - a lieutenant and an ensign, 3 instead of 5 tac consoles, and 4 instead of 5 forward weapons. You'd be doing maybe 5k no matter how fast you turn, because you'll be hitting single rats with basic attack.

Nukara trait is icing on the cake for people with optimized fits who ran out of other sources of extra dps. It's a drop in a bucket, and nowhere enough to dig you out of the dps hole due to tac deficit.

I expect a bit over 6k DPS in ISE. And I'm fine with that.

I have other builds for over 10k DPS (I'd say 20k or 30k, but I've never broken 20k line; probably due to not using fleet gear, not using fleet or Lobi/Lockbox ships and pretty lousy reflexes - and playing with a touchpad).

And that thing about 'needing a different boat': I currently have about 30 builds I can use at a moment's notice. Boffs set up, gear set up, key binds set up. My goal is to have that number rise and keep rising. It's basically my main reason of keeping playing STO.

edited July 2014
    With a Mirror Negh you can probably break 10K DPS easily with the right setup.

As for A2Damp being for PvP? Bullplop! Works wonders to move sluggish ships around faster (you get a turn rate boost) adds major resist damages, reduces holds and pulls.... It's perfect for just about every PVE you can think of. There is no down-side at all to using it.

I don't PvP. A2Damp is a great addition if you have the doff to boost resistance and duration. On my toons that spent the ECs to get this doff, they use A2Damp all the time.
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    But as I already said, I need something new.

I know it's not what you were going for, but I'd like to suggest something a tad unusual for your ship build. Maybe it might be worth considering.
    If you already have the 6 to 9 points in flow capacitor skill, why not try to make it into a drain build?
    Grab some flow capacitor science consoles to start. Then go get Jem Hadar stuff.
    The Jem deflector has a high bonus to flow capacitors. The engines aren't terrible. So replay Operation Gamma and.....I know this one takes a long time to run.....Boldy they rode, a bunch of times to get the set pieces and the dominion polaron beam arrays. I know those beams aren't going to do alot of DPS, but the point is to use the two weapon types that benefit from high flow cap skill, Polaron and Tetryon.

Use EPTA as one of your EPTx abilities and use energy siphon to go with the tetryon shield drain and ploaron power reduction effects.

If you happen to have it, plasmonic leech does a lot of power drain for you already, and the rule 62 console also improves flow capacitors too.

You won't get the best DPS with that setup, but that should give you a different thing to play for, unless you've done the drain build thing before.
    edited July 2014
    With a Mirror Negh you can probably break 10K DPS easily with the right setup.
    Well, me with an Aux2Batt FAWboat easily. Even a FAWboat without Aux2Batt possibly.
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    I know it's not what you were going for, but I'd like to suggest something a tad unusual for your ship build. Maybe it might be worth considering.
    If you already have the 6 to 9 points in flow capacitor skill, why not try to make it into a drain build?
    Grab some flow capacitor science consoles to start. Then go get Jem Hadar stuff.
    The Jem deflector has a high bonus to flow capacitors. The engines aren't terrible. So replay Operation Gamma and.....I know this one takes a long time to run.....Boldy they rode, a bunch of times to get the set pieces and the dominion polaron beam arrays. I know those beams aren't going to do alot of DPS, but the point is to use the two weapon types that benefit from high flow cap skill, Polaron and Tetryon.

Use EPTA as one of your EPTx abilities and use energy siphon to go with the tetryon shield drain and ploaron power reduction effects.

If you happen to have it, plasmonic leech does a lot of power drain for you already, and the rule 62 console also improves flow capacitors too.

You won't get the best DPS with that setup, but that should give you a different thing to play for, unless you've done the drain build thing before.

Yeah, that would be new. :P But I'd still probably grab a different ship for that. Maybe my Kar'Fi... And it reminds me to update my very old drain intrepid build.

edited July 2014
    Don't need A2Bat to get 10K dps. Half my builds don't use it. For example, here is one of my more common setups:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=nissaassaultcruiser_5549

Using an Assault Cruiser for a basic ENG-heavy cruiser loadout. I can do this or a variation of this on most cruisers and battlecruisers.

It utilizes different boffs. You don't need technicians. You use 2x purple DCEs to reduce EPTs to near global, and you run 2x EWOs of whatever flavor (beams/cannons) to reduce your FAW/CSV skills as much as possible. That leaves room for boffs that reduce cooldown on ET or whatever else you prefer. In this build note I'm using the M/AM doff to get special boost from A2Damp. I'm using just the one as needed, not on full up-time, and couple it with an A2SIF for fast healing and cross-healing of others. I can also simply double the A2Damp and just run them nonstop along with my EPTs.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Don't need A2Bat to get 10K dps. Half my builds don't use it. For example, here is one of my more common setups:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=nissaassaultcruiser_5549

Using an Assault Cruiser for a basic ENG-heavy cruiser loadout. I can do this or a variation of this on most cruisers and battlecruisers.

It utilizes different boffs. You don't need technicians. You use 2x purple DCEs to reduce EPTs to near global, and you run 2x EWOs of whatever flavor (beams/cannons) to reduce your FAW/CSV skills as much as possible. That leaves room for boffs that reduce cooldown on ET or whatever else you prefer. In this build note I'm using the M/AM doff to get special boost from A2Damp. I'm using just the one as needed, not on full up-time, and couple it with an A2SIF for fast healing and cross-healing of others. I can also simply double the A2Damp and just run them nonstop along with my EPTs.

"reduce cooldown... as much as possible."

You just stated the reason why ppl don't do this - it's chance based, and only affect cd on one skill.