test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the Point of Posting and Reading Anymore

gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Over the last few weeks I see nothing worth reading in these forums. Nothing but misinformation, knee jerk reactions to the misinformation, and the same bs over and over. Give it a break guys. The doom threads, veiled doom threads, anti-this, do nerf this, don't nerf that is getting so boring.
I challenge you guys to come up with something new and interesting to post about. That isn't negative. I challenge you to do some research and reading before you post your Oh No! Doom! post. I challenge you to search the forums for your topic you're thinking about posting on and see if it hasn't already been covered in the last month before throwing up a new thread.
I challenge you to let all the dead horses rest in peace for once.
Post edited by gooddaytodie39 on

Comments

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bah, I know you learn stuff from my threads...i know it
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    You're right! There's no pointing in posting or reading the STO Forums.

Just lurk or don't even come here at all.

Personally I'm here for the devs.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The forums are a godsend for those with chronic constipation.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No, I actually find the spelling of ketchup is more common than catsup.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    TBH, the knee jerk Walls of Text from people with a badly overdeveloped sense of self importance are the only reason I come here at all. I can count on this part of the STO Forums crowd to provide me with something to chuckle over all day at work. They've never let me down and I suspect they never will. It is their nature. They cannot stop themselves. Even if they wanted to. Which they so obviously do not.

OP, I applaud you. Your idea is a very good one. But herding wet cats might be easier than getting this lot to change anytime soon. Still, I will do what I can to support your idea. Because it has merit and would be good for the place.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The forums are a godsend for those with chronic constipation.
    Um, so they make you TRIBBLE? When you can't normally TRIBBLE otherwise? Nice.
    One of my ships is actually called the U.S.S. Constipation.
    edited July 2014
    Um, so they make you TRIBBLE? When you can't normally TRIBBLE otherwise? Nice.
    One of my ships is actually called the U.S.S. Constipation.

There's a joke in there waiting to be told...about how Cryptic won't give folks a T5 Constitution-class in the game, but they've no problem with all the T5 Constipation-class discussions taking place on the forums. ;)
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I find the best place to follow STO devs and avoid the garbage is on the their dev tracker twitter page (@STO_DevTracker). I also usually avoid the general discussion category and focus on tribble patch notes. Most folks don't read and post the same thing asked earlier in a thread over and over again.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
    edited July 2014
    TBH, the knee jerk Walls of Text from people with a badly overdeveloped sense of self importance are the only reason I come here at all. I can count on this part of the STO Forums crowd to provide me with something to chuckle over all day at work. They've never let me down and I suspect they never will. It is their nature. They cannot stop themselves. Even if they wanted to. Which they so obviously do not.

OP, I applaud you. Your idea is a very good one. But herding wet cats might be easier than getting this lot to change anytime soon. Still, I will do what I can to support your idea. Because it has merit and would be good for the place.

Thanks thunderfoot. After the "forum post quality revolution of the summer of '14" is complete we'll try that wet cat herding you mentioned. I do like a challenge.
    edited July 2014

I only accept dead horses as dead horses if called dead horses by Cryptic, by the way - otherwise, I support folks carrying on the fight for what they want (even I disagree with them)...

But things that Cryptic has said are one way or the other, those are pretty much closed for debate. Doesn't mean Cryptic won't randomly do whatever they please down the road, but it's pretty dead as a discussion point on the forums.
    edited July 2014
    There's a joke in there waiting to be told...about how Cryptic won't give folks a T5 Constitution-class in the game, but they've no problem with all the T5 Constipation-class discussions taking place on the forums. ;)

lol Ahhh I needed that.
    edit:on the dead horses, dude it could be months or years in between things being stated by Cryptic to be definite no-gos. so that's lots of dead horses and lots of beating in the meantime. I don't want to discourage people asking for things they'd like to see in the game they care so much about. It's the whole concept of "something I have to fight for" in the context of a video game and it's forum that just doesn't sit well.
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ...yes, and of course there's no point in replying.

Personally, I find the STO forums help me relax when I take my blood pressure readings. I'm also evaluating their usefulness as a tool to sell popcorn.

EDIT: If walls of text bother you, just skip any paragraph longer than 2 or 3 sentences. I think most other readers seem to do that anyway.
    edited July 2014
    Maybe if they did a Dead Horse Announcement - that was up there at the top of the forums? Sure, only one person might look at it - but with the way the forums are, that could cut down on thousands of threads!
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    YOU Challenge ME!!!!!! I Challenge YOU!!!. What are we fighting about again?
    edited July 2014
    We can ask for a Official Dead Horse Thread stickied at the top of the general discussion where all the dead horses can be beat in relative silence. =)
    And You! Armenian Daddy! You are hereby challenged to stop posting your conspiracy theories and doom threads your posting five times a week.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have not seen a "yes to Arc" thread in a while, I was planning on starting one.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited July 2014
    cidjack wrote: »
    I have not seen a "yes to Arc" thread in a while, I was planning on starting one.

How about a thread asking if Steam can be launched from Arc...?
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I wonder when we'll get posting rights from lock boxes.
    edited July 2014
    zathri83 wrote: »
    I wonder when we'll get posting rights from lock boxes.

Hrmm, that got me thinking...I lost all sorts of posting credit with the Forumpocalypse of 2012 - I deserve some sort of post count compensation! ;)
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You just named it, it makes fun reading about other ppl shortcomings, be it direct or indirect. In german it would directly translate to a form of Schadenfreude.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Over the last few weeks I see nothing worth reading in these forums. Nothing but misinformation, knee jerk reactions to the misinformation, and the same bs over and over. Give it a break guys. The doom threads, veiled doom threads, anti-this, do nerf this, don't nerf that is getting so boring.
    I challenge you guys to come up with something new and interesting to post about. That isn't negative. I challenge you to do some research and reading before you post your Oh No! Doom! post. I challenge you to search the forums for your topic you're thinking about posting on and see if it hasn't already been covered in the last month before throwing up a new thread.

I cant see how you say its only been for the last few weeks I been checking into the forum for the last two years and its always been like this.

the problem is that the devs tend to do things that not everyone will like, people think that if they kick up enough fuss they might put a halt to the change when the truth is once the devs have made up their minds to do something we wont change it no matter how much noise we make.

look at the fuss everyone made over the grindaversary, is that likely to make it any different next year, I bet there will be no sudden change of heart and we will have another grind next year.

once the devs get an idea of how something should be they are like a dog with a bone over it, they will never let it go.

there have been very few instances where users input has been implemented and truth be known the devs had been contemplating the change anyhow the users input only affirmed their theory that its what players want.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited July 2014
    I cant see how you say its only been for the last few weeks I been checking into the forum for the last two years and its always been like this.

See, I don't think it's been as bad in the past 2.5 years or so as it has been in the past 2-3 weeks or so...it's almost as if there is a plot afoot!
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Over the last few weeks I see nothing worth reading in these forums. Nothing but misinformation...
    I guess that would be subjective. Even though one person sees things negatively, someone else may see things in a positive manner. Who knows?

Riddle me this...

Outside of the new crafting system, what will Cryptic ultimately release? According to one of the developers, the crafting system is not meant to be used as a form of leveling.

So, what is there to do?

100% of the endgame is a grind. People are ticked.
    edited July 2014
    See, I don't think it's been as bad in the past 2.5 years or so as it has been in the past 2-3 weeks or so...it's almost as if there is a plot afoot!

oh believe me it has, I cant think of one event or update or change to existing formats that hasn't caused a torrent of complaints from some of the users.

just look at the torrent of complaints from users when the changed the hourly events to weekend events, did it make any difference ?, not one bit.

edited July 2014
    oh believe me it has, I cant think of one event or update or change to existing formats that hasn't cased a torrent of complaints from some of the users.

just look at the torrent of complaints from users when the changed the hourly events to weekend events, did it make any difference ?, not one bit.
    Cryptic will ignore the complaints.
    edited July 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Cryptic will ignore the complaints.

that's what I just said.

edited July 2014
    that's what I just said.
    Oh, yeah. Sorry.

:D
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oh believe me it has, I cant think of one event or update or change to existing formats that hasn't caused a torrent of complaints from some of the users.

Just because they don't follow peoples complaints doesn't mean they don't read it. They have a more broader view of things, and all the analytics to make those kind of decisions. Do I agree with everything that happens in STO? Newp. Do I post feedback about it? Sometimes but I also make sure it's constructive not just "I don't like it".

And yes, things have been changed based on player feedback countless times.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited July 2014
    oh believe me it has

See, I just can't. Averaging 8-10 hours a day on the forums for the past 2.5 years...I've never had the tinfoil hat feeling that something was going on like it has with all the nonsense of late.

It's like the small group that got ticked about the Rep change put up flyers at the grocery store, schools, community centers, churches, you name it...recruiting folks to come parrot all sorts of misinformation.
This discussion has been closed.