test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This line scares me a little...

grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
This line in the latest Dev blog scares me a little...

"We’re going to wipe away everything that came before – everything the Undine know – and start fresh."

I'm all for revamping the crafting in the game in order to possibly create your own weapons/items with whatever 3 or 4 Procs/Buffs you want that would make the game very diverse...

I just hope they don't mess with the current stuff we grinded for too much. I wonder if crafted gear will be better then Fleet or Rep gear. Or is this line just to set a little "RP" mood and set the stage.
Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
Fleet Leader of:
Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
Liberty Guardians
U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
Post edited by grayfoxjames on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    RP text= we're wiping out the way we used to craft.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

"We’re going to wipe away everything that came before – everything the Undine know – and start fresh."

I'm all for revamping the crafting in the game in order to possibly create your own weapons/items with whatever 3 or 4 Procs/Buffs you want that would make the game very diverse...

I just hope they don't mess with the current stuff we grinded for too much. I wonder if crafted gear will be better then Fleet or Rep gear. Or is this line just to set a little "RP" mood and set the stage.

I'm pretty sure the 'start fresh' just refers to the crafting system. Presumably the whole system is being replaced, but that doesn't mean every item in the game is being overhauled. Just the R&D system and items available, presumably.

I don't know how crafted items will stack up with rep and fleet items, but Cryptic has a lot of incentive to keep old stuff desirable while adding new perks to set crafted stuff apart.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    so in other words for us who did max craft on some toon will now have to start over?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    so in other words for us who did max craft on some toon will now have to start over?

Noooo. This blog is just a RP post.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I wouldn't count on older items still being available, but I would bet good money that at least the majority of existing items will remain in exactly the state they are in right now.

It is much easier and safer to leave old items alone then to try and replace/change them en masse.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There's no guarantee at this point that anything from the old "storefront" style crafting system except certain gear (Aegis, I'm looking at you) will remain, and that includes R&D points.

I'm not saying that they're going to eliminate any benefit you got from maxing out your R&D "skill". But it was not a great system and the way they added Dilithium as a requirement pretty much killed the old system.

While I would like to see some kind of progression... and preserving or converting existing points would be really good for me, personally... it wouldn't suck if they just started over and the system was actually better for gameplay.

If I can be excused for my interpretation of the blog, crafting should let players build experimental stuff that's different from the stuff in the old R&D store. That means new variations of gear. Maybe even modular stuff, like the kits.

But we'll have to wait for the next crafting blogs to know for sure what's coming.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I hope so. Maxing out crafting wasn't an enormously difficult achievement. I'd love to start over with a new system that works better and produces items worth using.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Every thing you knew about crafting......

COMES

IN

A

ROCKET CAN

*explosion*
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Every thing you knew about crafting......

COMES

IN

A

ROCKET CAN

*explosion*

What about me and my blue shirt?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dooooooommm...???
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It makes me a little nervous too. We'll see. It could be something RP like replacing samples with new resources, or something mundane like replacing R&D with a new DOFF commendation branch, or it could be something really harsh too. Wait.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It makes me a little nervous too. We'll see. It could be something RP like replacing samples with new resources, or something mundane like replacing R&D with a new DOFF commendation branch, or it could be something really harsh too. Wait.

What I hope for, as other have said, is a root and branch reform of crafting.

As for accrued experience, speaking as someone with maxed crafting, I'd have no objection to compensating with the equivilant of tier 2 in a reputation track.

Enough of a head start to help, but not just giving away the farm.
    edited June 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    What I hope for, as other have said, is a root and branch reform of crafting.

As for accrued experience, speaking as someone with maxed crafting, I'd have no objection to compensating with the equivilant of tier 2 in a reputation track.

Enough of a head start to help, but not just giving away the farm.

I tend to agree. Getting maxed level crafting was undeniably easy. Truth be told, I would like some kind of compensation if there were a clean slate (to recognize the achievement if nothing else) -- but all things considered, there was never any big effort into crafting a few hundred large hypos until you hit max crafting rank.

So for people to think being a 'max crafter' is some kind of sacred and prestigious achievement in STO that shouldn't be touched, you're delusional.

I'm not saying it be ignored entirely, but lets not start clutching our pearls over it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm going to open a bag full of nasties here...

I hope they completely redo everything and make it new as was hinted at in the blog, from crafting and the commodities required to the gear awarded. Lets face it: people complain of power creep but they hold all those purple XII gear items close to them and don't want to let go.

Get rid of the uncommon, rare, very rare stuff and have all items the same. Add in a whole load of brand new 25th century gear to replace it all that isn't blue, green or purple, just the mk X or VIII whatever and have say 5 or so different weapons to choose from in that weapon type eg minigun, sniper, torpedo, turret. Bring in upgrades based on your department (sci, eng, tac) that use the crafting system where you can either increase weapon range, accuracy, knock back, attack bypasses 15% enemy shields. That sort of thing, but the upgrade should never increase the weapons base damage.

I think this would really fix power creep as the base damage value would never increase, only the secondary features which provide a small but cool bonus.
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think its a pretty good guess that it will be a doff based crafting system similar to what created most of the Very Rare consoles in the game prior to Starbases.

For a long time - taking powered alien artifacts and using doffs to craft them into "Random" consoles was the primary way to get Mark 12 gear.

Because of the randomness of it - you saw the prices for Very Rare Mk12 Tac consoles in the $50 million EC range.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Randomness and very low chance...it's like you have to Crit the Crit and even then there's only a chance it will be purple or something. I've basically given up on the alien artifacts even using all purples with the right traits seemed low chance.

I really hope we can craft our own choice of procs and buffs to gear and weapons based on skill level and mark type.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
    edited June 2014

I really hope we can craft our own choice of procs and buffs to gear and weapons based on skill level and mark type.

To be fair, there's a line in D'Angelos blog that refers to bonuses for crafted stuff that doesn't drop.....which sounds like unique mods to me.

Of course, the devil is in the implementation, but I'd say the odds are you'll get your wish
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited June 2014

That's more or less what I've heard from the podcasts several months back. Really, I have several maxed crafters, and honestly, it's not a big deal if I have to start over. Crafting, currently, isn't really a challenge or much of an undertaking.

My only concern, again, is if it will be a heavily gated system like Neverwinter. It takes longer level up a single crafting skill in that game than our Reputations.. possibly combined.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd be extremely pissed if they didn't grandfather everyone eligible to max level in the new system, like they did with Diplomacy when doffing came out.
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd be extremely pissed if they didn't grandfather everyone eligible to max level in the new system, like they did with Diplomacy when doffing came out.

There was a dev conversation a long while back when they first started talking about the implementation of the new kit system and crafting. The thought (at the time at least) was that people who currently have max crafting might get a bit of a jump start, but they would definitely not get grandfathered to max rank. Wish I could remember exactly which podcast or livestream or whatever it was where I heard this.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If its a doffing system, would be nice for existing crafters to get some starter DOFFs
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014

yes you will start over....just like all the elite players had to start over when the omega rep was brought out

we had mk12 maco ...them omega came and we had to do the rep in order to be able to but the mk12
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited June 2014
    If its a doffing system, would be nice for existing crafters to get some starter DOFFs

Or perhaps whatever new rare material is needed.

That'd be a fair way to compensate existing crafters.
    edited June 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

yes you will start over....just like all the elite players had to start over when the omega rep was brought out

we had mk12 maco ...them omega came and we had to do the rep in order to be able to but the mk12

not me had all the gear before the rep system was implemented on my fed to this day dont have one rep maxed out on any toon and more then likely never will
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited June 2014
    The max crafting rank is 1,650.

A Large Hypo gives you 10 crafting xp.

You need to create 165 Large Hypos in order to max out crafting.

What kind of 'grandfather' clause are people expecting to get out of the crafting revamp?

You can create 165 Large Hypos in 15 minutes -- data samples are not only plentiful, they're oversaturated.

What kind of prestigious challenge do people consider maxed out crafting to be? I mean seriously. What kind of sacred cow is the old crafting rank system when you can become a master in 15 minutes.

This isn't a David and Goliath challenge, here. This isn't beating the No Win Scenario. This isn't even Hive Onslaught Elite.

I'm all about being recognized for being a master crafter before the revamp (like the Ambassador Emeritus accolade, which mind you maxing out Diplomacy was far more challenging and time-consuming than maxing crafting), but what fantasy world do people live in that they deserve to be the best there possibly is in regards to crafting on patch day when all you need to do is create 165 Large Hypos.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014
    not me had all the gear before the big change on my fed to this day dont have one rep maxed out on any toon and more then likely never will

I dont blame you....nothing fun at all about the Rep's
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • illisstr8illisstr8 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Rest assure the crafting system will be tied down to some rep grinding ala doff system and to Dilithium, even more so than it already is. I just hope the items that are to be cratfed is worth the time and effort, because as of right now the best weapons and consoles in game come from Fleet bases, STFs, and Lock Boxes. I cannot see anything that is remotely craftable coming close to what is currently being offered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    illisstr8 wrote: »
    Rest assure the crafting system will be tied down to some rep grinding ala doff system and to Dilithium, even more so than it already is. I just hope the items that are to be cratfed is worth the time and effort, because as of right now the best weapons and consoles in game come from Fleet bases, STFs, and Lock Boxes. I cannot see anything that is remotely craftable coming close to what is currently being offered.

how i see a re vamp going to also as for it being worth it..... it will never be on par with fleet you got a 50 50 chance it being on par with mission reward stuff cant make it better then cryptic number 1 money maker the fleet gear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    illisstr8 wrote: »

They honestly better keep dilithium out of the system completely.
    Thats what completely killed the old crafting system with the replicatable materials fiasco.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Personally, I'm just hoping that ESD Or, probably better, Star Fleet Academy (maybe on of those empty buildings?) finally gets a 'Crafting Station" ... And more importantly that they Fix the Crafting Stations in New Romulus Command, which have been broken and useless since LoR launched.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png