test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Smirk when will the livestream Q&A be updated?

gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
As the title says. I'm anxious to see the new Q&A.
Post edited by gooddaytodie39 on

Comments

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As the title says. I'm anxious to see the new Q&A.

I wouldn't really worry. The few interesting questions that were asked weren't really answered with any substance. I appreciate the *time* put in to this from a community point of view, but if there's nothing to share in terms of news then what's the point?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah I asked 2 questions of substance. I sat at my tablet for about an hour and thought "I bet if I ask a stupid question of no substance they will answer that."
    Sadly i was correct.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1 Smirk when will the livestream Q&A be updated?

Real Soon Now™ :D
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    Yeah I asked 2 questions of substance. I sat at my tablet for about an hour and thought "I bet if I ask a stupid question of no substance they will answer that."
    Sadly i was correct.

Much as I appreciate the time/effort the community staff does to answer these questions, This has really been the problem with Q & As. Even going back to Branflakes tenure as Community Manager.

For, I am sure, various reasons, Cryptic/PWE tend to keep upcoming updates/Content very close to their sleeves. The result is Questions that give "Spoilers" tend to be ignored, while those chosen tend to be ones that give very little information at all.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For, I am sure, various reasons, Cryptic/PWE tend to keep upcoming updates/Content very close to their sleeves. The result is Questions that give "Spoilers" tend to be ignored, while those chosen tend to be ones that give very little information at all.

Yeah, we sort of did it to ourselves when we were a bit overzealous back then and now Cryptic is playing it safe with us.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014
    Much as I appreciate the time/effort the community staff does to answer these questions, This has really been the problem with Q & As. Even going back to Branflakes tenure as Community Manager.

Oh I am not an idiot. I am not going to ask questions that have dates or spoilers attached to the answers.
    I had an easy question like "what happened to the eta errandi mission 'salvage whatever' that disappeared when LoR was released".
    There is only a few answers that I felt that could answer that question. None were of much consequence.
    But what was answered was something of less consequence than that.
    I dunno. It reminds me of what happens when American political candidates are interviewed.
    Don't ask or say anything substantial.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, we sort of did it to ourselves when we were a bit overzealous back then and now Cryptic is playing it safe with us.

It wasn't our fault. We wanted to know what was coming. Is that abnormal?
    If cryptic had a plan and bit fell through. It wasn't cryptics fault, either. That is normal.
    The problem only occurred when they wouldn't tell us that the plan fell through and wasn't going to happen until later. Then they got mad at us because they believed that they didn't need to tell us that things changed.
    No company ever does that. Ever. Except cryptic.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dunno. It reminds me of what happens when American political candidates are interviewed.

I have no idea what you could possibly be referring to. :D

Video parody courtesy of Gulf War I, brought to you by the First Bush Administration. Not to be confused with Gulf War II, Hunt for Saddam's WMDs (aka "The Phantom Menace") brought to you by the Second Bush Administration.
  • jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I made a transcript from the last 35 minutes of the livestream. It is rather condensed, not containing everything that was said but it should still be accurate. If I butchered your username...deal with it :cool: lol

Shadowwraith77
    Q: Will they ever add a tactical readout of opponent ships?
    A: Really cool idea. It would be something along the lines of the Hirogen Hunter set where you get special abilities as a tactical officer or maybe science or engineer you could sum up the tactical readout of other ships. There is a bonus set power “analyze weakness” from the Jem’Hadar carrier where you can figure out weaknesses and exploit it and kill opponents a little faster. It would be a really cool addition if we could get that at some point.

Terrastheslayer
    Q: Will we ever get to see Tribble made into a more restrictive server?
    A: This has come up many times during our Tribble test server test periods. People come on to earn free giveaways or get an edge on the new missions are and to check everything out and some people who spoil things and post them on Reddit. At this point we don’t know if it will become more restrictive but it is definitely something worth considering. Having it as a way to test out things with a smaller group of people. This could happen in the future if the company decided to go that route, so maybe possibly in the future.

gurufu???
    Q: Are there any plans for queued ground content to provide a level of challenge compared to or more difficult to No Win Scenario?
    A: There are going to be more challenges ahead for players. Certain things coming along are redacted for now, cannot say anything more than that. But the idea of making a challenge tougher for players to complete where you really have to spend time gearing yourself up with special gear, making sure your skill trees are set, and you are a good team player, heal if you are science, buff if you are engineer, do damage as a tactical. There are ideas being kicked around to make things more tougher and make you less OP against NPCs.

Greendragon#1
    Q: We realize big features are not coming to the foundry right now, can you tell us about small features?
    A: Since before Season 9, we were supposed to be getting these additions added in some of the patch notes but for some reason or another they haven’t been implemented yet. Foundry authors have contacted be saying they found new things such as new pieces of armor, new assets, and we want to make sure you guys are aware that stuff is getting added. We definitely want more additions to the foundry so you can make better episodes, better missions, because you want you all to submit missions for the Foundry Spotlight, especially for the Klingons.

Warfan
    Q: Expansion #2…what will it be?
    A: Expansion #2 will be an expansion. *laughs* How do you like them apples? Expansion #2 will be epic, I have seen the presentation, I have seen everything that is coming and I can’t tell you anything about it, it’s redacted. But expansion #2 is going to be awesome, so much cool stuff, new things, new stuff, and new places and that is all I am going to say. You will learn more soon, like in the next year.

Altchacin???
    Q: Any updates\considerations towards a unified sector space instead of hitting an invisible wall crossing sector space blocks?
    A: It is something we definitely wanted to do but it became a much more difficult thing to accomplish with the current state of the game. It is ingrained into the game so much now that it would take a huge amount of recoding and downtime for the game to accomplish that. There is the possibility that in the future it could happen, but for now the sector blocks are going to stay as they are now.

Sidstorm???
    Q: How does Captain Smirk personally feel about the T5 Connie issue?
    A: I personally think it is more of a forum issue right now because there are so many threads that pop up. Not going to come into the game I think ever! The T5 Connie, it was something that used to drive Branflakes insane, he would make me delete those threads, hide them. It doesn’t bother me that much. I would love something along the lines of like the Exeter class. I would love to have a traditional Connie with a 1960’s kind of bussard collector on the nacelles, something that is really big and powerful, like if you gave the regular constitution class a grow mushroom from Mario Bros and it just got big and super OP. I would love that but it’s not going to happen. There will not be a T5 Connie.

Gofasternow
    Q: Any possible idea if retrofits in the fleet store might make it into the C-Store?
    A: The fleet ships are in the fleet store and they are probably going to stay there forever. They definitely want to keep different ships in different places so you have the option of getting them through one currency system or the other and it is kind of like the alien generator….why aren’t there Caitian or Ferengi or Ferasan options. We want to keep them separate so there is a reason to get them. We want to keep the fleet ships in the fleet ship store so you can do the fleet system, and interact with other players, you get into a fleet, you play with a group, and get the experience points and currency necessary to buy them from the fleet store. We want to keep them in the C-Store so that if you don’t want to be in a fleet, or don’t have enough fleet credits to get the ship you want, you can still buy from the C-Store. There may be variations of fleet ships or similar ships in the C-store in the future, but for now the fleet ships will most likely stay where they are.

Prophecy13
    Q: Can you please make some benefit for joining lower level fleets?
    A: Not sure about what kind of benefits could be given out for lower level fleet joining. If people don’t want to join your fleet because it is not maxed out at T5 so they could not take advantage of higher tier requisitions then they probably aren’t the kind of people you want in your fleet. Find people who really want to take part in the fleet. It is social, not capitalism.

Saicall???
    Q: With the armistice between the Federation and the Klingons, is there going to be any considerations for KDF faction characters to join a federation fleet or vice-versa in the future?
    A: It would add a new layer to the fleet system and to cross-faction. Maybe not fully join an opposite faction fleet but since we have alliances with Romulan characters, maybe at some point they would introduce an alliance system where perhaps a KDF could ally with a Federation fleet and take part in different aspects of gameplay.

Lean181818
    Q: When will you guys do something new in PvP content?
    A: I don’t know, hopefully soon. I know PvP could really use some love right now, in the past seasons we haven’t put much into PvP except for the shuttle PvP map queue. We know a lot of people love PvP and we are hoping we can get something out soon.

tsudonami???
    Q: What is my favourite energy weapon type? Both for ground and space?
    A: Tetryon. I liked them at first because they were blue, but then I found out that you could take down shields so fast and if you had a really good torpedo set you knock shields down with tetryons and use the torpedoes on the hull and they’re dead. I have all the colours of the hyper-plasma ground weapons such as the Bat’leth, and the Lirpa.I also love the Hargh’Peng torpedo because it is funny and pink and surrounds you in a cloud of pink doom.

Chemistryset
    Q: When will Mine Trap be fixed?
    A: I’m hoping soon. I want it to be cross-faction, I want my KDF friends on my team, and romulans, and feds.

nicolunis
    Q: For those of us that use cats in the game, armored tails when wearing armor sets?
    A: A lot of the EV suits and armor sets, the tails stick out like a sore thumb and aren’t armored. I think what would be really cool would be not just having a skin on the armor tail so it looks like it is completely covered, I think that cats should have prehensile tails, there should be a phaser on them or like an ejection kit, can hold a weapon and be able to use it.

Dunkenidaho11
    Q: Where is my beetle snuff?
    A: I am guessing up your nose.

Shalpin???
    Q: The Iconian killed in the latest Feature Episode, that Iconian killed 5 Klingons with a thought, does this mean we are getting a landing party size increase?
    A: No, it means you guys need to get tougher Klingons. They were Klingon politicians and you know how Klingon politicians died in the TV shows.

Mustroamridicule0???
    Q: Will we ever have actual missions involving the Lobi Consortium or its employees?
    A: In the KDF tutorial you do get to go into the lower bank area and fight other Klingons, but they are not officially listed as part of the Lobi Consortium. I really like this idea of a mission. Having some kind of a mission where we are going out hunting for a ships they sell (lockbox ships). Capturing an upcoming lockbox faction ships or could be a queued event hunting down any of the ship that have previously dropped from lock boxes. It would be amazing and really fun to have, or if you had to go to Drozana and had to interact with them in some different way where their stuff is stolen and you have to get it back. Also, this could also be a really cool idea for Foundry missions.

Icegabel???
    Q: Will there be a new Featured Series this year?
    A: Yes there will be.

Q: Can you change the minimize/maximize buttons to match the UI?
    A: I don’t have any control over that and it would be low priority

Q: Thoughts on game balance?
    A: The Defera have a lot to say about balance.

Q: Can we change the Romulan ale to be blue in game?
    A: I would like that. I would like to be able to get the drinks on the counter like in Night of the Comet.

Q: Can I fix the weapons to fit the height of the character?
    A: I cannot. Not a dev, can’t do any coding. We can ask for that, it is in-line with some of the changes the team want to make

Q: Any chance we can get the civilian clothing option in other NPCs in the game?
    A: Maybe at some point in the future.

Q: What’s happening with New Romulus? It’s always under construction.
    A: I suggested that something be done about that for the New Romulus Anniversary event. It looks like we just moved in and they realized that is very true according to the dev team. Perhaps something could change for the Second Anniversary of New Romulus.

Q: Can we have a used ship lot?
    A: If you made one of those in the Foundry, like in the Reunification episode where they go through the old shipyard to find a decommissioned ship parts, somebody needs to make that in the Foundry and submit it.

Q: Are they going to fix the space trait glitch?
    A: It is a terrible glitch and it is a known issue, they are trying to figure it out, with the loadout system being fairly new they had some trouble when it first came out. I know some patch had fixed some of the problems and some of those problems are still around or have come back. We are very sorry about that and want to get it fixed as soon as possible but we want to make sure that we push out a fix that is not going to last or break something else.

Q: Was that Raktajino in your coffee mug?
    A: I wish. That’s like coffee on crack, I need that.

Q: What is it like having anything you want in STO?
    A: I wouldn’t know. There is still a lot of stuff that I can’t get no matter how much I ask for it.

Q: Can you link the QA thread?
    A: I will link that in the recap thread, and the recap blog that we will have on the site.

Q: Any chance of getting the Ferengi Shuttle Metaphasic Shield added to the dilithium reclaim store?
    A: Possibly soon. I can ask the devs to make that change when we start changing out the way you pick up special items from some of the ships. But now since that is from the Lobi store, I don’t know if they will add that shield to it.

Q: Any chance that the Dilithium Mining Claims can be Account bound?
    A: It may not happen because that may allow people to get too much dilithium in one character.

Q: On warp in/out, beam in/out, in the short animation sequences I find that my mouse is locked in the application. I’d like an option not to lock out the mouse. Can you pass this along to the devs?
    A: I can pass it along. I have seen the issue, I think it may have something to do with the video quality
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It wasn't our fault. We wanted to know what was coming. Is that abnormal?
    If cryptic had a plan and bit fell through. It wasn't cryptics fault, either. That is normal.
    The problem only occurred when they wouldn't tell us that the plan fell through and wasn't going to happen until later. Then they got mad at us because they believed that they didn't need to tell us that things changed.
    No company ever does that. Ever. Except cryptic.

I tend to agree to a certain extent. To be perfectly honest though, there is blame on both sides.

Yes, Cryptic had a habit of 'oversharing' upcoming things. Or rather, things they said that was to be upcoming. Yes, Cryptic was overambitious for much of the development of STO. While their heart was in the right place (and I won't ever say it wasn't), the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I'm also willing to admit I've dealt my fair share of harsh criticism to Cryptic based on things that were said to be upcoming, and then never made it. When you're linking 'insider' pictures of ongoing development of the game to hype up your playerbase, and then you don't deliver?

That's on Cryptic's head. You can't blame the players for getting hyped up. That's why marketing allows you to leak to the playerbase. To get people interested in the game and things to come. Things to look forward to.

However, another part of the blame does lie on us, the players. Some of us are too overzealous in regards to Cryptic. Many of us have a narrow-minded us-or-them mentality and have said very destructive things for the sake of being destructive.

Some of us have unfairly thrown various people at Cryptic under the bus -- personally I try to avoid throwing people under the bus unless I have direct proof they deserve it. :P

But the most damning evidence against the players is quite simply... players are not prepared for honesty. They aren't. By in large, players have such a warped perspective on how development works, and do not by any means know the inner-workings of the video game industry as a whole -- much less the more complicated game of STO which has 3 people that control the game in one aspect or another. Cryptic Studios (the developer), PWE (the publisher), and CBS Studios (the licensor of the Star Trek IP).

With 3 companies controlling one game, the relationship is much more complex. The decisions made go beyond what Cryptic wants to do -- or what Cryptic is told to do. And players can't comprehend that.

They think because the game appears to be so simple and caters to an 'instant gratification' mindset, that the game itself is developed in such a way. And players simply are not prepared for the honest transparency Cryptic had in the past that resulted in many of these 'overshared' topics to crop up to begin with.

I personally loved Dstahl's engineering reports, but with so many things on that list to hype people up, so many things I believe they were working on that never made the cut to the final build... I can't blame players for taking issue with that.

Because we pay money for a game and if the developers are going to be honest with where that money is being spent and allocated -- we want to see the results.

And we didn't. Now they're more quiet than ever. Their anti-information stance is one made out of fear.

Trevor's livestream continues the Cryptic tradition of fearing to inform. "We hope", "With any luck", "Perhaps in the future", any of these weasel words are proof that Cryptic is afraid to inform us.

And rightly so. We scared Cryptic into not informing us, because we can't handle the honesty.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited May 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    And rightly so. We scared Cryptic into not informing us, because we can't handle the honesty.

I agree that that is where we are right now.

By the way, thanks to jon59650 for providing that short transcript.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree that that is where we are right now.

By the way, thanks to jon59650 for providing that short transcript.

Yes, I also want to personally thank jon59650 for providing a transcript. You are doing good work, and I can't praise you enough for taking the time and effort into providing this service to us.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Oh I am not an idiot. I am not going to ask questions that have dates or spoilers attached to the answers.
    I had an easy question like "what happened to the eta errandi mission 'salvage whatever' that disappeared when LoR was released".
    There is only a few answers that I felt that could answer that question. None were of much consequence.
    But what was answered was something of less consequence than that.
    Don't ask or say anything substantial.

The American political candidate is a perfect analogy for this, and pretty much the point I was trying to make.

Because Cryptic is so closed up with information, more often then not, the information they do provide is old, and rather well know. I have no doubt we will get dev blogs about the summer event 2-3 days after the start. With the end result that nothing new is learned. Information is given after it can already be found out, usually from in-game sources.

jon59650 wrote: »
    I made a transcript from the last 35 minutes of the livestream. It is rather condensed, not containing everything that was said but it should still be accurate. If I butchered your username...deal with it :cool: lol

Warfan
    Q: Expansion #2…what will it be?
    A: Expansion #2 will be an expansion. *laughs* How do you like them apples? Expansion #2 will be epic, I have seen the presentation, I have seen everything that is coming and I can’t tell you anything about it, it’s redacted. But expansion #2 is going to be awesome, so much cool stuff, new things, new stuff, and new places and that is all I am going to say. You will learn more soon, like in the next year.

This is a perfect example. What do we have "Expansion 2 will be an expansion, and it will be awesome". If there is a presentation, then clearly there are aspects of Expansion 2 that are a done deal. They are not going to change at this point, so if you are going to talk about it, TALK about it. what are we going to see. What is it ACTUALLY about. But we aren't getting any of that. What we get is that it exist.
    iconians wrote: »
    I tend to agree to a certain extent. To be perfectly honest though, there is blame on both sides.

That's on Cryptic's head. You can't blame the players for getting hyped up. That's why marketing allows you to leak to the playerbase. To get people interested in the game and things to come. Things to look forward to.

However, another part of the blame does lie on us, the players. Some of us are too overzealous in regards to Cryptic. Many of us have a narrow-minded us-or-them mentality and have said very destructive things for the sake of being destructive.

I personally loved Dstahl's engineering reports, but with so many things on that list to hype people up, so many things I believe they were working on that never made the cut to the final build... I can't blame players for taking issue with that.

Because we pay money for a game and if the developers are going to be honest with where that money is being spent and allocated -- we want to see the results.

And we didn't. Now they're more quiet than ever. Their anti-information stance is one made out of fear.

Trevor's livestream continues the Cryptic tradition of fearing to inform. "We hope", "With any luck", "Perhaps in the future", any of these weasel words are proof that Cryptic is afraid to inform us.

I chopped this up a bit, but I pretty much agree with all of it. I understand the issue with Engineering reports. From my understanding (I joined after they had already go the way of the Dodo) the problem with The enigeering reports was they were sharing TOO much.

There was a habit of "oh this would be cool in game" sharing that as something "in Development" and eventually it was deemed too expensive, not viable, it was a pet project of someone who left for whatever reason, or CBS simply said no. With no indication of why it didn't ever actually happen.

But as you said, Cryptic went the other way. Now you have things that are not shared, that ARE very much in development. They are done, or at the very least a the "point of no return" where they are definitely going it be in the game, Most likely sooner rather then later. And Cryptic isn't sharing it, isn't getting people to talk about it.

That is why the QAs are not very interesting. Because nothing new is ever learned. There is nothing to look forward to. We are just going to get the same run about, or they are going to answer thing the community already knows.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is a perfect example. What do we have "Expansion 2 will be an expansion, and it will be awesome". If there is a presentation, then clearly there are aspects of Expansion 2 that are a done deal. They are not going to change at this point, so if you are going to talk about it, TALK about it. what are we going to see. What is it ACTUALLY about. But we aren't getting any of that. What we get is that it exist.
    Let us be fair here. They did the exact same thing with LoR: dropped hints about something forthcoming - even directing us to a website that showed a hint of words/images in Romulan but gave no real information. And then two months prior to LoR being released the Marketing Team gave permission to start releasing concrete information. The Expansion Pack was announced and we learned it was a Romulan Faction.

They are not going to handle Expansion Pack 2 any differently. About two months before it goes live we will get the scoop and they will start releasing the Blogs giving us more firm details. Right now we are doing the same thing we did before LoR was announced: speculating based on the hints.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for posting the transcript Jon. I'm pretty disappointed with those answers. Smirk really sounds like he doesn't take them seriously enough. I was hoping for some good info and instead got more "soons" "don't know" "that'd be cool".

Oh well. I'll let these Q&As fall off my radar...waste of time.
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Let us be fair here. They did the exact same thing with LoR: dropped hints about something forthcoming - even directing us to a website that showed a hint of words/images in Romulan but gave no real information. And then two months prior to LoR being released the Marketing Team gave permission to start releasing concrete information. The Expansion Pack was announced and we learned it was a Romulan Faction.

They are not going to handle Expansion Pack 2 any differently. About two months before it goes live we will get the scoop and they will start releasing the Blogs giving us more firm details. Right now we are doing the same thing we did before LoR was announced: speculating based on the hints.

But that is my whole point. I understand what they are doing. I even understand why they are doing it, and I am really trying not to criticize them for it.

But if you want me to be interested in your livestreams, and the Q & A portion of it, you need to give me a reason. And running the same content, and answering the same questions isn't going to get me interested.

That is sort of how I feel about the whole thing. If I see the livestream, fine. But more often then not, I find something else to do with the time, and I am not worried or saddened by it. Because I know that I have not missed anything.
    edited May 2014
    But that is my whole point. I understand what they are doing. I even understand why they are doing it, and I am really trying not to criticize them for it.

But if you want me to be interested in your livestreams, and the Q & A portion of it, you need to give me a reason. And running the same content, and answering the same questions isn't going to get me interested.

That is sort of how I feel about the whole thing. If I see the livestream, fine. But more often then not, I find something else to do with the time, and I am not worried or saddened by it. Because I know that I have not missed anything.
    I do not disagree with your points, other then how you think they are handling the information about the next Expansion Pack. They hare handling EP2 the same way the handled EP1: hints and tweets rather then direct information. They are not going to give direct information about it until Marketing says they can, no matter how much you think they should "TALK about it."
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Q: Any chance that the Dilithium Mining Claims can be Account bound?
    A: It may not happen because that may allow people to get too much dilithium in one character.

your kidding right......I've got toons that have to many claims and is never going to use them all up....-_- and your worried about a single toon having too much dil....most people never have enough dil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
    edited May 2014
    Can't we just enjoy the Q&A stream for the purpose of community participation? At least answers provided will be part of the first post on a pinned thread, so that we can point future threads to answers already given.

It's like the "Ask Cryptics", except it is all in one place and I when I'm around for the stream I get something to listen to as well as chances to win prizes. Also, who knows? Maybe there will be a change in answers (or just that my suspicions will be confirmed).
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for posting the transcript Jon. I'm pretty disappointed with those answers. Smirk really sounds like he doesn't take them seriously enough. I was hoping for some good info and instead got more "soons" "don't know" "that'd be cool".

Oh well. I'll let these Q&As fall off my radar...waste of time.

The thing is he is under NDA. He is not allowed to talk about upcoming content in great detail. He is allowed to give hints, nothing too revealing.

I am personally fine with his answers, I understand he is under NDA. At least we know something is happening in the game.
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
    edited May 2014
    Can't we just enjoy the Q&A stream for the purpose of community participation? At least answers provided will be part of the first post on a pinned thread, so that we can point future threads to answers already given.

It's like the "Ask Cryptics", except it is all in one place and I when I'm around for the stream I get something to listen to as well as chances to win prizes. Also, who knows? Maybe there will be a change in answers (or just that my suspicions will be confirmed).
    At least we got another official "no" on the T5 Connie situation. :)
    edited May 2014
    At least we got another official "no" on the T5 Connie situation. :)

*high-fives*
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014
    I do not disagree with your points, other then how you think they are handling the information about the next Expansion Pack. They hare handling EP2 the same way the handled EP1: hints and tweets rather then direct information. They are not going to give direct information about it until Marketing says they can, no matter how much you think they should "TALK about it."

If that is how it sounds then I apologize. My use of Expansion 2 was just simply because it was asked/used in a question. I in no way meant to imply that they "Should" or that I "think" that they should share information, other then clearly there is information to share.

Yes, they are handling it just the same way as they did LoR. And yes, I totally expect them to handle it the same way.

But, this thread started out about the Q&As from the livestream, and how the OP was not missing anything. Which got into a discussion on why that was or wasn't (more on the "was" side) they case.

So I am giving my opinion on it. Which is Cryptic's policy of keeping information to themselves means that there is rarely ever any meaningful information. Most of the time, if you are just playing the game, you will learn all you need before any dev blog tells you about it. Sometimes you might have to go on Tribble first, but more often then not, Q&As or Dev blogs will really only tell you what you already know.
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The thing is he is under NDA. He is not allowed to talk about upcoming content in great detail. He is allowed to give hints, nothing too revealing.

I am personally fine with his answers, I understand he is under NDA. At least we know something is happening in the game.

I know, at least in regards to the Expansion 2 he can't say anything. But it's confusing to me that NW just released module 3 and is already releasing information on Module 4. Throw us a bone, give us a hint! It's almost June it's not like it's Jan or Feb here.

But besides that, I don't think it's unreasonable to provide a time frame for the Loadouts fix. This is a game breaking bug for some and a major annoyance for others. Everything just takes forever with STOs small team. Maybe I expect too much...
    edited May 2014
    So I am giving my opinion on it. Which is Cryptic's policy of keeping information to themselves means that there is rarely ever any meaningful information. Most of the time, if you are just playing the game, you will learn all you need before any dev blog tells you about it. Sometimes you might have to go on Tribble first, but more often then not, Q&As or Dev blogs will really only tell you what you already know.
    And I agree with you; which is why I do not bother with the Livestream. Even the older Ask Cryptic column was really just cherry-picked answers, with most of the hard questions never answered.

Most of the information I get comes from Podcast interviews. If players want to know about something that is really the only place to go, IMO.
    edited May 2014
    But besides that, I don't think it's unreasonable to provide a time frame for the Loadouts fix. This is a game breaking bug for some and a major annoyance for others. Everything just takes forever with STOs small team. Maybe I expect too much...

He is not a dev, he does not do the coding. Fixing bugs and coding takes a long time. They have to determine the problem, reproduce it, patch it, then test the patch to make sure it doesn't break anything else. This is the nature of programming. There will always be bugs, the moment you fix one, another one pops up.
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
    edited May 2014

Honestly, having a NDA isn't much when the company you work for is the one enforcing it.

NDAs work on the fact that a given company does not want information about things released. Usually to either an outside party, or they are not fully finished.

Either way, since PWE is most likely the one with the NDA (since they are the marketing people), They are the ones who can ultimately decide to lift that NDA and then have something talked about or not. But the fact is, at least for STO they have a very tight reign on releasing information.
    edited May 2014
    So just do not use the Loadout feature. Problem solved.

We went 4+ years needing to manually transfer equipment. Needing to keep doing it while the bug is in place is not a big deal. Essentially nothing has changed. :)
    edited May 2014
    The only real reason I can think of for Cryptic not to open up and tell us what they are working on... not thinking about... but actually working on for the updates that are actually in the pipeline, is that they pretty much know that it won't really be received well because it couldn't be further from what the reasonable members of the community are asking for, and they would rather see the forums erupt in fire and brimstone when the updates drop than saying "we hear what you are saying, but we don't care what you want and we are doing this instead." They're going to reap a whirlwind either way.
    Conspiracy theorists. The world could not turn without you. :)