test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Okay, entertain me here

gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Klingon Discussion
I just got my Sci Gorn to level 50 a few days ago (yay 2x EXP event), so I've decided the best thing to do is to give him something neat to fly around in. Oh, sure I gave the character a few mirror ships, but I only find the Mirror Vo'quv the best of them (at least until Tuesday), but I'm looking for something... more.

Right now, there's four ships I got my eyes on: the B'rel Retrofit, the Mogh, the Guramba or plop down 600 Lobi to get the KDF Dyson Science Destroyer. The B'rel is easily my Hegh'ta but with better cloaking, the Mogh LOOKS neat, but I'm not sure, the Guramba looks amazing from gameplay footage I've seen and the DSD would be better suited for who I have here instead of the Tac Fed captain I gave one to.

What do you think would be best?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited April 2014
    The Vo'quv is great, but it's slow. And because it's slow, it can be kind of a passive game, waiting for the turn.

The B'rel is not slow. It's as active as you can get in a ship because you're on the knife's edge most of the time.

BUT, the B'rel isn't for everyone. It's not the Hegh'ta, even, because the EBC is so different. Not that you can't run a Hegh'ta type game in the B'rel, but you may as well run the Hegh'ta for that.

I don't have the Mogh or Guramba since I run a Sci captain, and I actually want to use Sci. The B'rel is ideal for that. Dyson also looks good, but I'm not all that interested since I have my B'rel.

Bottom line: I love my B'rel, but I don't know if it will suit you. It's not a great ship to recommend because there's so many ways to fail in it.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Mirror ships are all you really need for a KDF captain.

Mirror Qin for pure DPS build.

Mirror Negh'Var for Aux2Batt and FAW spam.

Mirror Vo'Quv for carrier lovers (some maneuverability issues can be mitigated by running A2B with EPtE and APO).

Use your zen for purchases like the Vandal destroyer to get plasmonic leech. Save your lobi for must have consoles, as it's far more cost effective to buy lobi ships off the exchange for ec.

BoPs are best for PvP, so unless you plan on doing that I'd suggest the Mogh. It's pretty much the best all-purpose ship the KDF has.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you want to maximize your science skill points with boff abilities, then the regular Vo'Quv is your only real choice. The mirror Vo'Quv is more of an engineering ship for getting up close and tanking and is pretty limited on science seating compared to the natural Vo'Quv.

B'Rel can be setup for heavy science and is a good fit for it with the enhanced battle cloak, since it allows you to cast spells from cloak (and only be visible for the duration).

Mogh can do some limited sci, but its really not suited for it at all.

Guramba is a pure combat ship with essentially no offensive sci (you will use the 2 provided slots for defense).
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How do you stand with ECs and do you have any unpacked lockbox ships to trade? Cause if you're able to pull it off, I'd highly recommend the Korath Temporal Science Ship for KDF science characters although it can be pricey, I haven't checked the current prices on those.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is it a case you've already got...

B'rel
    Mogh
    Guramba

...and are looking at 600 Lobi'ing the DSD?

Or would you need to drop out the 2k Zen for the B'rel, 2500 for the Mogh or Guramba?

Since you're talking about 600 Lobi'ing the DSD, I'm guessing you've already got the three other ships...or you'd be looking at the 2500 Zen for one of the ADSDs instead, eh? As well as potentially dropping out that Zen on other boats.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    How do you stand with ECs and do you have any unpacked lockbox ships to trade? Cause if you're able to pull it off, I'd highly recommend the Korath Temporal Science Ship for KDF science characters although it can be pricey, I haven't checked the current prices on those.

Guh, I don't have a drop of those at all.@_@ I just started this guy - I'm mostly a Feddie Bear!
    Is it a case you've already got...

B'rel
    Mogh
    Guramba

...and are looking at 600 Lobi'ing the DSD?

Or would you need to drop out the 2k Zen for the B'rel, 2500 for the Mogh or Guramba?

Since you're talking about 600 Lobi'ing the DSD, I'm guessing you've already got the three other ships...or you'd be looking at the 2500 Zen for one of the ADSDs instead, eh? As well as potentially dropping out that Zen on other boats.

Oh, no, no, no! I don't have any of them! I was wondering if I should GET any of them. They look awesome, but I'm not sure how they'd go with my Sci Gorn.

However, it seems that my best bet is to stick with the Mirror Ships so far.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you're gonna go sci-royer (DSD), then I'd recommend dropping the Zen on a C-store (aka fleet-level 10 console) bird over the 600 Lobi "generic T5" edition.

Main reason the lobi version even exists is that the lobi (aka event freebie) version has the secondary deflector necessary to complete the C-store set.

Of your list, the B'rel (BoP, with it's own issues), Vo'Quv and Sci-royer are the only three ships that can slot Cmdr Sci. As such (and when I fly my Sciences I prefer to fly with a CMDR sci available), I have the Vo'Quv (decent ship but needs major investment into RCS stuff for turn rate and getting Advanced/Elite BoP pets) and the Sci-royer is almost a Vesta-class ship - trading in the hangar to instead have the tactical (destroyer) mode...

My choice was Vo'Quv, however, it's since advanced to the Sci-royer.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Guh, I don't have a drop of those at all.@_@ I just started this guy - I'm mostly a Feddie Bear!

Oh, no, no, no! I don't have any of them! I was wondering if I should GET any of them. They look awesome, but I'm not sure how they'd go with my Sci Gorn.

However, it seems that my best bet is to stick with the Mirror Ships so far.

for a science captain, the RA level Vo'quv is probably your best bet. Mirrior ships simply do not lend themselves to science abilities.

If you've got the 2500 zen, the science soloanee destroyer or if you got the lobi for the event ships are actually the best way to go.

HIGHLY flexibile ships for tactical or going pure science but still having firepower. Forget the rest, you want a klingon science ships, the solanee ships are the best way to go.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you want to *be* a science officer, my favorites are ...
    the karfi carrier and any bird of prey. The bop officer slots let you set up anything from hard dps ship to a pure science or support ship. The karfi is a dps/sci carrier and does loads of damage though it can be a little soft until fully geared. The frigate pets are solid.

Gurumba is a nice gunship, but it has little science. Mogh is a bigger gunship, and superior as you can get 10 consoles.
  • solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally - I would (and did) go B'Rel. Its getting the flank buff, 10% more hull (still gonna be sqwishie but - meh), etc. The all universal boff slots are great, you can use a TRIBBLE ton of sci abilities while cloaked (Grav Well III is my fave).

PvE is shocking to peeps I play with. I have a torp boat and when I play Azure Neb I usually get to the ships first and wipe out everything before anyone gets there. PvP is a whooole new game where Im now getting 10 kills to 1 death on avg. Just keep in mind you cant sit still like peeps tend to in a vo'quv. I used to fly the mirror version often and still do the odd time - but yeah - IMO go B'Rel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014

So what? Transfer some 120 milion EC from your feddybear chars and by a Korath! :P (jk)

Ok, since that's kinda' out of the question I must ask - what do you intend to do with the char., what is your playstyle? What do you want to be able to do in terms of abilities and the way you play?

I'll assume that since your char. is sci.officer you'd like to have at least moderate amount of science abilites at your disposal and be able to do some science stuff. In that case, I'd recommend:

B'rel - the B'rel has been utilized by KDF science players for years now. Being able to go full torpedo boat with maxed auxiliary, plus the ability to spam science abilities while cloaked makes it a very viable a fun science platform even though it's not a fully fledged science ship. You just need to consider if you're ok with a BoP playstyle, cause it's quite different than anything else in the game.
    Also, the BoPs are getting buffs in a few days so they'll be a bit better and stronger. And it's an iconic B'rel after all!

K'maj (Fleet Kamarag) - a ship not mentioned nearly enough in this forum. It's a very good science slanted cruiser with great manouverability, great firepower and great staying power. Plus it's able to carry quite a bit science abilities. Honestly, it's probably one of my faviourite ships, very fun to use. Seriously, the Fleet Kamarag is a perfect all-round ship.

Kar'fi - It's probably one of the most awesome ships in game, you'll be able to do a multitude of tasks with the Kar'fi. It's heavily on the science side which fits your career while being very offensive at the same time with a lot of DPS potential. For PvE especially, this ship will preform amazingly.

Varanus - It's the KDF science ship. Yeah, it's not a science top dog, but not really so bad either once you get used to it. And it's a fully fledged science ship, so it's got subsystem targeting, sensor analysis and is eligible for the secondary deflector when that change hits all science ships. The console it comes with is pretty nice as well.
    And since your character is a Gorn, it fits him perfectly - considering the RP side. ;)

Mirror Negh'var - I'm not going to talk a lot about this one, since others already mentioned it. It has the balanced console layout and access to Lt.Cmdr sci. However, with this one you don't actually have a fleet level ship.

Now, that said, on the other hand I want to mention that if you have 600 lobi - I wouldn't reccomend getting the DSD. First of all, as others mentioned - getting the "basic" 9 console one just for the secondarly deflector for the set. My honest bet is that soon enoguh we'll have fleet secondary deflectors and all kinds of sets when all the science ships get the secondary deflector.
    Also, this is just my personal opinion based on the way I play, but I find the DSD completely lackluster in preformance to even consider wasting 5k zen for the C-Store 10 console DSD set.

If you want to waste lobi crystals, I'd highly recommend playing the exchange and earning a bit more EC to buy master keys so you'd come to the sum of 800 lobi and you could by a Tholian Recluse Carrier. Absolutely fantastic for science.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Mirror Negh'var - I'm not going to talk a lot about this one, since others already mentioned it. It has the balanced console layout and access to Lt.Cmdr sci. However, with this one you don't actually have a fleet level ship.
    Since this ship is basically a variant on the original Freebie Kamarag, its Fleet-level successor, is, naturally, the same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I second that -- do NOT waste money on the dyson destroyer. A BOP can do everything it can that matters, and more. Or the karfi is exactly the same thing only 10 times better. All the dyson can do is enable a junky weapon and flop its officer seats --- its a decent cannon sci ship but the bop can do that with bells on.

The recluse is indeed an excellent ship. Its the best purchase I have made in this game to date, period. Cmdr universal lets you do a variety of builds, and while its sort of designed as a science carrier, you can make it a giant sci destroyer or tank or whatever else. Ill take my 4 mesh weavers over that proton cannon all year long.
    edited April 2014
    Since this ship is basically a variant on the original Freebie Kamarag, its Fleet-level successor, is, naturally, the same thing.

The difference between the regular Kamarag and the fleet Kamarag is the Lt.Universal Boff slot on the fleet Kamarag instead of the Lt.Engineering Boff slot on the regular one. Given the ship's Boff layout and the PvE content in STO, I usually use this universal lt. for a science officer. Which is not quite the same thing, giving the fleet variant much more potency in science abilities and the flexibility to do sth. else, like go for more DPS.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you can afford it the c-store DSD is probably one of the best but, it really doesn't look klingon at all ( a faction *cough* skin *cough* ).
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A BOP is a safe bet with all the universal stations. I must caution you, though, that the Enhanced battle cloak of the B'Rel is going to lend itself to some major differences when compared to the plain old Battle cloak.
    If you like to use energy weapons, you'll have to manually decloak before you can begin firing, and then the ability to recloak will seem like it takes an eternity with a ship that has such a thin hull. The EBC automatically lowers cloak to allow firing torpedoes, heals, subnuc, etc. About a second after firing the last item, it can recloak you. While the cloak is lowered, you are targetable. Mines and torpedoes that come after you while your cloak is lowered do not stop chasing you once the cloak fully engages again. Now, if you run without energy weapons, and are cloaked most of the time, your power levels in engines and aux should be high. If you decide to use it with a lot of speed, with EPTE, APO and high engine power, you can outrun every mine and torpedo, except a Hargh 'Peng. With high aux power, your science abilities should have more bite.
    In other words, the B'Rel, specifically the EBC, begs you to not use energy weapons which helps you put more power into aux power which is what a science toon tends to want to boost anyway.