test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retrofit Phasers: Better of the two

gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Federation Discussion
Okay, here's something I'm curious about. I've decided to get a hold of the Retrofit Phasers for my Fleet Galaxy-X. Now, I got two ways of doing this: I can either keep requisitioning the TOS Constitution and picking up their Phasers or I can keep running "Everything Old is New" over and over to get them. Which version of the two is better, though? From what I understand, both have [CrtlH], but the "EOiN" version has [Dmg] while the TOS is just a scaling version.

So, what would be the best - either continuing to run the mission over and over or just get the weapons off of my ship?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I THINK the mission one is better because scaling weapons like that tend to be slightly weaker damage wise, than MK XI weapons are. I could be wrong though.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I THINK the mission one is better because scaling weapons like that tend to be slightly weaker damage wise, than MK XI weapons are. I could be wrong though.

The scaling weapons top out at ... Mk XI. And have one side bonus. So the mission rewards are basically one side bonus "better." It's really close and if you don't have the fortitude to run that mission that many times, I'd just go with the infinite scaling ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't both get an accuracy boost? Mission version comes with a [DMG] bonus. So it really comes down to you wanting to do the mission several times. Or you can just get a bunch of the free scaling ones and save a ton of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hmallow42hmallow42 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I recently did the mission 6 times to pick up 3 fore and 3 aft. It goes really quickly.
    edited March 2014
    hmallow42 wrote: »
    I recently did the mission 6 times to pick up 3 fore and 3 aft. It goes really quickly.

It's far quicker to claim and discharge the Connie 3 times. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    But just like anything else that levels with the player, the Constitution's Retrofit Phasers only level to an equivalent of Mk X. So when you reach Admiral level, you would be better to use the "Everything Old Is New" beams. In addition, they are also [CrtH] [Dmg], so you will get much more damage with them.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So, it looks like I've been doing it the right way - going and getting the Mk XI ones. It's a shame they don't go up to XII, would be nice.
    edited March 2014
    It's a shame they don't go up to XII, would be nice.

Mk XII Blue Phasers are sort of available.

Andorian Phasers from your Fleet store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They really need to look at some of the older gear for upgrading. The classic blue Phaser would be awesome at XII.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Mk XII Blue Phasers are sort of available.

Andorian Phasers from your Fleet store.

I'll hafta pick up the Kumari group, then. It's a shame you can't upgrade unless you got those ships.
    jarfaru wrote: »
    They really need to look at some of the older gear for upgrading. The classic blue Phaser would be awesome at XII.

They really should.
  • vifarcvifarc Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I did again the mission, but it's useless,
    as I have the Mk XII rare turrets (that I crafted at Memory Alpha station) which are better...
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No [ACC] modifier on those phasers?

Good luck hitting anything.

If you want good blue phaser weapons, get the Andorian stuff.
    edited March 2014
    dsaris wrote: »
    No [ACC] modifier on those phasers?

Good luck hitting anything.

Accuracy modifier isn't needed to hit NPCs effectively.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just use fleet Andorian beam arrays and pretend it's the retro phasers. It's the same thing, minus the [suck] modifier.:D
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Accuracy modifier isn't needed to hit NPCs effectively.

Keep telling yourself that.

It may not be all that noticeable with cannons, but I see non [ACC] beams miss constantly against moving NPCs, especially if they are using EPtE, which they love to spam. It's why weapons like the Borg cutting beam are TRIBBLE.
  • salynraydersalynrayder Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »

Careful there. You're about to open that door. Someone is going to read your post and come up with a T5 Connie pitch.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014

It may not be all that noticeable with cannons, but I see non [ACC] beams miss constantly against moving NPCs, especially if they are using EPtE, which they love to spam. It's why weapons like the Borg cutting beam are TRIBBLE.

yeah, keep telling yourself that when people do just fine with white MK XI stuff and complete ESTFs just fine.
    edited March 2014

Are you joking? I have a character set up in the free ambassador. He runs the retro phasers that came with the T1 Connie just for the blue look. He hits moving NPCs just fine. He did so just last night in Mirror Universe, in Starbase 24 and in Storming the Spire.

Accuracy in PVE? Not required. At all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duxbellorum1duxbellorum1 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    as said before, if you want blue phasers, buy Andorian phasers, but if you really like the sound of the retrofit phasers...
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    but you can't use the andorian phasers on anything but the kumari ships, right?
    Spock.jpg

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    vifarc wrote: »
    I did again the mission, but it's useless,
    as I have the Mk XII rare turrets (that I crafted at Memory Alpha station) which are better...

how did you craft mk XII Anything? I can only get to XI purples
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine