test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CBS license

anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
Cryptic procured the license for 5 years, and we just had STO's 4th anniversary, so I see another DOOOM thread coming soon. Do you think CBS will extend Cryptic/PWE's Star Trek license, and shouldn't PWE start to negotiate right now to extend the deal?

What were CBS' conditions for the running license?
Tyr shall give me strength!
For the glory of Tempus!
I am the hands of Shar!
Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
Oghma, grant me knowledge!
Lolth commands, and I obey!
Post edited by anothervisitor on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I believe there was a thread about this last year where Brandon had indicated that the License had been extended.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I did not know about such a thing but that would be good news indeed. I hope they added at least another 5 years then.
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    My mistake. It was not renewed, it was that the original License still had years on it: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13135111&postcount=84
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thus, I forsee STO going into year 5 and beyond
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    My mistake. It was not renewed, it was that the original License still had years on it: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13135111&postcount=84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUM5xHUY4M
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thus, I forsee STO going into year 5 and beyond

Yeah, until someone at CBS corporate logs in.
  • Options
    hornet6hornet6 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Can someone confirm the matter of the license renewal? Maybe there's a way to take up a collection to help keep it going (of course it might not be considered ftp then though) I would hate to lose the characters and friends I've made.
    ANOTHER NERF !?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, until someone at CBS corporate logs in.

Nothing on this game happens without CBS' consent. You can be sure they have their watchdogs keeping a sharp eye on any new content.
    hornet6 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the matter of the license renewal? Maybe there's a way to take up a collection to help keep it going (of course it might not be considered ftp then though) I would hate to lose the characters and friends I've made.

I feel the same about my mates here. I'd miss my boffs too, how stupid that may sound.
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nothing on this game happens without CBS' consent. You can be sure they have their watchdogs keeping a sharp eye on any new content.

lol dont mean they are playing it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hornet6 wrote: »
    As I linked to above, there is no License Renewal issue. The STO License does not end next year - the original contract still has several years on it.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2014

The first time Logan made the Nomad skin, and it got rejected, he posted about the process for approval.

And from what he posted, "watchdogs" is not an appropriate term for what CBS does in terms of this game. It's all rather corporate and makes sense from a running a business standpoint. And there are fans of Star Trek involved. But no it's not at all as on the ball and watchdog-y as you made it sound.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As I linked to above, there is no License Renewal issue. The STO License does not end next year - the original contract still has several years on it.

But that's not the answer the OP wanted, so it doesn't count. What's wrong with you?

This was supposed to be a DOOOOOOOM thread before you and your facts screwed it all up! ;)
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh, no... it's the ANTI-DOOOOM thread!

I'm not sure I've seen one of these before...
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »

It's a mirror universe doom thread. So it's just like the thousands of threads the bluegeek with the goatee has seen before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014

It's thecosmic1's awesome power of reality logic, able to turn DOOOOOOOM on its head with a single fact. :D
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2014

If they picked it up in 2008 (that is when the announcement for Cryptic's STO was made and they said development was moving fast) - and it was a standard 5 year IP rights with renewal option (just my speculation, but that's a pretty common deal in the industry); it would mean the Cryptic/CBS STO license agreement was renewed in 2013 for another 5 years; making the next renewal date sometime in 2018. <-- Again, all speculation, but it would line up pretty well with Brandon's post (linked by the poster quoted above)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If they picked it up in 2008 (that is when the announcement for Cryptic's STO was made and they said development was moving fast) - and it was a standard 5 year IP rights with renewal option (just my speculation, but that's a pretty common deal in the industry); it would mean the Cryptic/CBS STO license agreement was renewed in 2013 for another 5 years; making the next renewal date sometime in 2018. <-- Again, all speculation, but it would line up pretty well with Brandon's post (linked by the poster quoted above)
    It is even more complicated then that, as Perpetual was awarded the License in 2006. :)
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's a mirror universe doom thread. So it's just like the thousands of threads the bluegeek with the goatee has seen before.

Mirror Bluegeek?! I think I just saw him... Made a photograph! :P
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    stoutes wrote: »

Awesome!

And ...

/thread

Really there's no better way to end it.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It is even more complicated then that, as Perpetual was awarded the License in 2006. :)

Not really, Perpetual lost it and it reverted to CBS. At that point they were shopping it around again. I'd be surprised if at the time, Cryptic wasn't given at least a 5 year option (with many of the other conditions we do know CBS attached, such as a hard launch date written into the contract)

And Perpetual acquired the STO license in 2004. In 2006 was when the financial trouble started and they started laying off people and reorganizing in an attempt to keep the company afloat.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    stoutes wrote: »

That's awesome! :) I really ought to steal that... or just make it myself.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    edited February 2014

That has me thinking about the mod issues Mirror Bluegeek faces day in and day out.

Like having to lock "HI I JUST JOINED THE GAME" threads.

Having to clean up and consolidate all of the "Why no T1 Connie?" Threads.

Having to keep the flamewars down in all of the "Steam is such a hack, I'm sticking with Arc" threads.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No only that he ahs to come with smart answers too and smart quotes like the one in my sig.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That has me thinking about the mod issues Mirror Bluegeek faces day in and day out.

Like having to lock "HI I JUST JOINED THE GAME" threads.

Having to clean up and consolidate all of the "Why no T1 Connie?" Threads.

Having to keep the flamewars down in all of the "Steam is such a hack, I'm sticking with Arc" threads.

;)

Would a mirror-mod close threads though? Maybe the only threads that exist in the mirror universe are the ones opened by the mirror-mod.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    while im sure there are players that feel the opposite , i feel that the game is successful for continued licensing with CBS . i dont see that really changing anytime soon .
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In the Mirrorverse, the mods close threads that don't degenerate into flame wars, because peaceful discussion doesn't make the Empire stronger.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    elessym wrote: »
    Would a mirror-mod close threads though? Maybe the only threads that exist in the mirror universe are the ones opened by the mirror-mod.

Off topic...

A mirror-mod would be a lot like a prime universe mod, except:
    • Lock all those sickening "I love Cryptic" threads.
    • Edit every post that disagrees with his opinion to "All Hail Mirror-Bluegeek!"
    • Deliberately merge thought-provoking threads with three year old rage fests, and move all of them to the PvP forum just for fun.
    • And a lot more evil things that Bluegeek would never dream of doing, but I don't have time to mention them all, and shouldn't be encouraging off-topic posts in the first place
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Take it, it's free :P. At least... in this universe.
  • Options
    bruno960bruno960 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2014

You might need that in a month or so..