test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[FALSE] STO to shut down this november?

anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
I got into a private chat discussion with someone on ESD and he stated that a friend of his working at a Californian game company said that STO will shut down this november when the game is unable to reach the 500k lifetimers mark. He works there as a programmer.

Did anyone hear similar rumors or is this just a bad joke?
Tyr shall give me strength!
For the glory of Tempus!
I am the hands of Shar!
Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
Oghma, grant me knowledge!
Lolth commands, and I obey!

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sounds like nothing more than a malicious rumor.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No game would want a 500k Lifetimer mark. For STO that means they are paying out millions of dollars of free Zen every month.

And for the record, STO is PWE's largest game in North America. They would shutdown other games long before this one.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Someone heard something from someone, who heard from someone else on the internet.... Must be true :rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just to play devil's advocate... How many other star treks made it past 8 seasons? And now that we have all 3 types of fleet consoles, what's left? How many more races can fit into a lockbox, and how many more factions and enemies can they add?

I could see the end drawing near. I don't buy into it much, but I could see it.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Must be the Epohh overlords again.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's a rather odd reason to shut down IMO. As long as it's making money, why would the number of lifetimers matter?

Plus they technically would get more from gold member than lifetimers as the game goes on anyway over the life of the game, so I would think the number of gold members would be more important.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited February 2014
    My dad works at Perfect World, and he said that you can unlock a playable Kirk and Tier 5 Connie if you beat the game 50 times without killing anyone, even mission objectives.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just to play devil's advocate... How many other star treks made it past 8 seasons? And now that we have all 3 types of fleet consoles, what's left? How many more races can fit into a lockbox, and how many more factions and enemies can they add?

I could see the end drawing near. I don't buy into it much, but I could see it.

ummmmmm....STO is only 4 years old, by your crappy logic, it has 3 more years.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Let's start a rumor! STO IS SHUTTING DOWN NOVEMBER 2014!

Discuss. :P
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Unless your "friend" can show an official company document signed by the head of Cryptic or PWE.... *bull*
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    ummmmmm....STO is only 4 years old, by your crappy logic, it has 3 more years.

Was more dark humor than actual logic :/
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Let's start a rumor! STO IS SHUTTING DOWN NOVEMBER 2014!

Discuss. :P
    It's as the Mayan's predicted.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd put my money on CO long, long, long, long, long, long, long before STO. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    1st rule of Internet, gossip, estate agents and job recruiters...

Believe nothing!
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Someone heard something from someone, who heard from someone else on the internet.... Must be true :rolleyes:

I'm a French model.

Bon-jew-or.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    TL;DR of this thread:

BREAKING NEWS! The Internet is full of BS. Film at eleven.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Reminds me of those chain letter thingies which claim you must send this to 50 people in your contact list or Skype/Facebook/ICQ/whatever shuts down.
This discussion has been closed.