test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quitting PvP

rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvP Gameplay
The fun is gone, folks...

For a while, I enjoyed the challenge of surviving the "gank" in Ker'rat, or outsmarting Mini and Zenith in their "vaper" builds. But lately, with the endless power creep and ridiculous damage levels from proton weapons (95K through full shields and with 2x fleet neutroniums + the mark 12 borg 2-piece), it just isn't worth the effort.

I spent years grinding out ships and gear - fleet defiant/excelsior, all the Omega sets, then the fleet weapons/shield, then the embassy consoles, and now the fleet spire consoles - only to get "pwned" by 1 shot glass cannons that wouldn't last 5 seconds against me out in the open. STO has gone from a game of skill and timing to one of waiting for the next insta-vaper to roll into the war zone and then hoping he picks on someone else for a change (they never do - I've become a vape-magnet).

So, with that, I'm done with STO for a while. Here's hoping Season 9 provides some incentive to return. But for now, cya... :)

RCK
Post edited by rck01 on

Comments

• realminirealmini Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    a sad day when one of the best feds rage quits on you. dont forget how hard i had to work to kill you jacob (and then only once per 5 minutes), it is a lot harder than it looks dude. sad day when one of the best throws in the towel. i truly regret those last 3 vapes on you :0

good luck in yer ventures youll bee backkkk
  • opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    realmini wrote: »
    a sad day when one of the best feds rage quits on you. dont forget how hard i had to work to kill you jacob (and then only once per 5 minutes), it is a lot harder than it looks dude. sad day when one of the best throws in the towel. i truly regret those last 3 vapes on you :0

Hehehe, at least it's awesome to die to you mini. It's the posturing "I'm so skilled and you're a pubby" vapers that turn me off.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    While I am not "quitting" the game... I do find that I am signing in a lot less often.

Is it the grind? Power Creep? Increasing Inbalance in game mechanics? Direction the game is taking? Almost uselessness of class differences? All Of The Above?

For me, I am not sure... but leaning towards all of the above. IMHO, this game had so much potentnial from a PvP and a PvE perspective... with other games/engines out there... I don't know if STO will ever catch-up. Which is sad... when asked, I am not a SciFi fan... I am a Star Trek fan...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    While I am not "quitting" the game... I do find that I am signing in a lot less often.

Is it the grind? Power Creep? Increasing Inbalance in game mechanics? Direction the game is taking? Almost uselessness of class differences? All Of The Above?

For me, I am not sure... but leaning towards all of the above. IMHO, this game had so much potentnial from a PvP and a PvE perspective... with other games/engines out there... I don't know if STO will ever catch-up. Which is sad... when asked, I am not a SciFi fan... I am a Star Trek fan...

Couldn't have put it any better so I'll just say I totally agree.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

It's unfortunate because the constant power creep cycle has forced both the defender and the vaper into further, and further extremes.

Even with my own vaper, I find I want to play it less and less the more I feel pushed towards using one-shot clicky powers.

They work, they're strong. I'd much rather just use basic weapons like BO and Torps, but unfortunately for all of the glass that the ship is built to be those two don't always grant enough cannon to justify it - i certainly don't want to wait 5 minutes per kill cycle. :eek:

So the escalation of loading up on cascade, iso, proton assault etc., just continues.

Sorry to see you go rck.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Creep is crazy on both sides, offense and defense that is.

Yes some of the newer TRIBBLE like Proton Barage is pretty rage worthy. As are silly thinkgs like RSP doffs + A2B sillyness and all the rest of the power creeped badly thought out stuffz. Sometimes you have to wonder what exactly Cryptic is thinking. Remove double tap... then give us all 100% hull next to no resistance avalible dmg type 1:30 cool down junk that just happends to strip a few buffs while its at it... oh and make it an aoe. :)

I ground out the proton barage set on one of my toons... played with it for a while... and took it off. What complete and utter garbage. Yes its very nice to be able to reliably pop people with a set click power... boring though. I don't begrudge anyone using all of it... loadking up on PB Ion Beams Isos or what ever other stupid click Cryptic wants to pile on... and I don't blame the people that load 4 or 5 armour consoles that also double as 3 or 4 turn consoles... and science consoles that also give free heals... or the guys that load Rom placates anymore.

WTH Crytpic throws it on... we might as ell all use it till we annoy each other enough to all leave. Its the only way Cryptic will learn i think. Then again they have been trying pretty hard to kill PvP for 4 years... so I guess its all WAI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    More folks should take a break from PvP, imho...based on a twisted view of things, so to speak. Two views, eh?

1) You plug along, staying in there - dealing with the creep month after month after month as it wears at you.

2) You take a break, let a bunch of the TRIBBLE build up - come back and it's just an acute case of /facepalm instead of the chronic case.

No? Hrmm...cause c'mon, when the Zen DSDs hit - when some of the other things they've talked about hit...figure six to nine months down the road, when folks queue for PvP - the screen will just flash a few times and then it will register the outcome of the battle that never took place...randomly determined based on the overall cost of the ships involved.
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited February 2014
    All reasons above is why I took a 6 month hiatus after the launch of LOR last year. Now if I run my Anniversary Sci destoyer I am P2W or spammer, if I run my vape build I am called one trick pony. Now the NPCs are PMing me also with insults, I see another hiatus on the horizon.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2014
    Eh? That was quick, I remember being there when you called out a certain princess in Kerrat claiming to be undefeated or something. Can't have been that long can it?

Ah well that's just the way it goes, a break generally is a good thing.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No? Hrmm...cause c'mon, when the Zen DSDs hit - when some of the other things they've talked about hit...figure six to nine months down the road, when folks queue for PvP - the screen will just flash a few times and then it will register the outcome of the battle that never took place...randomly determined based on the overall cost of the ships involved.

This is a really cool idea Virus.

Anyone remember playing some of the old great 4X space conquest games.

They always had a Calculate option when your fleet got into a battle... you know you control the first few, at some point though it just gets tedious so you just hit Calculate... and the game just throws the stats of each side into a formula and says "Winner" so much less frustrating.

I think that might just be the feature we need to save PvP. :) lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited February 2014
    I haven't queued for PvP in 8 days now. The fun is just gone, for many of the reasons listed in previous posts.
    LOLSTO
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rck01 wrote: »

For a while, I enjoyed the challenge of surviving the "gank" in Ker'rat, or outsmarting Mini and Zenith in their "vaper" builds. But lately, with the endless power creep and ridiculous damage levels from proton weapons (95K through full shields and with 2x fleet neutroniums + the mark 12 borg 2-piece), it just isn't worth the effort.

I spent years grinding out ships and gear - fleet defiant/excelsior, all the Omega sets, then the fleet weapons/shield, then the embassy consoles, and now the fleet spire consoles - only to get "pwned" by 1 shot glass cannons that wouldn't last 5 seconds against me out in the open. STO has gone from a game of skill and timing to one of waiting for the next insta-vaper to roll into the war zone and then hoping he picks on someone else for a change (they never do - I've become a vape-magnet).

So, with that, I'm done with STO for a while. Here's hoping Season 9 provides some incentive to return. But for now, cya... :)

RCK

I warned you all every freaking day to stop with the vaping ......but noooo. You people. Are killing pvp your self with the stupid vaper TRIBBLE thats a vet that quitting imagine how the noob feels?? And dont think the devs aren't looking because they are so when the nerf comes don't complain about it because best believe its coming ......and all you people who insist on finding ways to do stuff in the game as it was not intended to be do e or used .....and you know how u are .......KNOCK IT OFF.......and u people who follow behind and use this stuff because u think its a I win button .....go }%%#% yourself and man up. And do something on your own there is no skill here vaping is like if 2 people are fighting and a third person comes in and hits one of the guys in the head with a bat while his back was turned......sure he dropped the guy ....but let's stop acting like it was skill It's. Not it's actually kinda cheap....don't like what I said ? Don't care ....you are dismissed
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
    edited February 2014
    This is a really cool idea Virus.

Anyone remember playing some of the old great 4X space conquest games.

They always had a Calculate option when your fleet got into a battle... you know you control the first few, at some point though it just gets tedious so you just hit Calculate... and the game just throws the stats of each side into a formula and says "Winner" so much less frustrating.

I think that might just be the feature we need to save PvP. :) lol

Heh, back with Total War games there was an option along those - you could have it autoplay out the battle based on the forces or you could play it out. I'd forgotten about that...
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You may find Kerrat much more enjoyable as a klink. Perhaps consider joining the good guys and going KDF.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited February 2014
    wildweasal wrote: »
    I warned you all every freaking day to stop with the vaping ......but noooo. You people. Are killing pvp your self with the stupid vaper TRIBBLE thats a vet that quitting imagine how the noob feels?? And dont think the devs aren't looking because they are so when the nerd comes don't complain about it because best believe its coming ......and all you people who insist on finding ways to do stuff in the game as it was not intended to be do e or used .....and you know how u are .......KNOCK IT OFF.......and u people who follow behind and use this stuff because u think its a I win button .....go }%%#% yourself and man up. And do something on your own there is no skill here vaping is like if 2 people are fighting and a third person comes in and hits one of the guys in the head with a bat while his back was turned......sure he dropped the guy ....but let's stop acting like it was skill It's. Not it's actually kinda cheap....don't like what I said ? Suck it

Putting the blame on the PvP playerbase is ridiculous. It's a competitive environment. The fault lies with Cryptic for not putting systems in place to prevent abuse of mechanics, like infinite stacking on some abilities. PvPers in any game push the envelope to the limit. That's not new or unique to STO.
    LOLSTO
    edited February 2014
    brandonfl wrote: »
    I haven't queued for PvP in 8 days now. The fun is just gone, for many of the reasons listed in previous posts.

I went ~36 days without PvP, not even Ker'rat - but I hit up Ke'rat yesterday for a couple of hours and had a blast. Couldn't tell you if I killed anybody, and only remember one death (needed a smoke anyway) - it was just a case that it required more than sitting still and shooting at targets as they lined up to die...as is the case with PvE.

But it was 2 hours that I could have spent doing one of the zillion grinds - and - well, I need to do my grinds. Fun be damned, man...fun be damned...this is STO!
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You people. Are killing pvp your self with the stupid vaper TRIBBLE thats a vet that quitting imagine how the noob feels??

This is a very very true statement.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    brandonfl wrote: »
    Putting the blame on the PvP playerbase is ridiculous. It's a competitive environment. The fault lies with Cryptic for not putting systems in place to prevent abuse of mechanics, like infinite stacking on some abilities. PvPers in any game push the envelope to the limit. That's not new or unique to STO.

To quote lines in a Star Trek. Movie ......Just because you CAN do that thing DOES NOT mean you should do that thing
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited February 2014
    To quote lines in a Star Trek. Movie ......Just because you CAN do that thing DOES NOT mean you should do that thing

The problem then is once vaper gets nerfed countered reliably it will be something else that is broken or oped that will get used. It really falls on the devs to make sure when things are released that foresight is used to combat unintended consequences that may arise. I never understood why trics were changed, well except PvPers complaining they were not usable in the game based on the missions. I am sure some unlucky noob got tired of being on the dead end of a tric bomber. Trics were fine when they were not yieldable and spreadable but yet they were changed and eventually replaced by stronger more reliable thinks like the Peng.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
    edited February 2014
    The problem then is once vaper gets nerfed countered reliably it will be something else that is broken or oped that will get used. It really falls on the devs to make sure when things are released that foresight is used to combat unintended consequences that may arise.

What he said and I tried to say.

As for the tric mines, they were ridiculous after DPB and DPA began affecting them. There was a reason the original devs designed it that way. Yes, PvPers pointed out the inbalance, which was even more noticeable in PvE, because NPC's can't complain that their gateways were being destroyed before their transformers. Instead of reverting that decision, they just nerfed the mines. Cryptic tends to use hammers when a screwdriver will do.
    LOLSTO
  • this1isavailablethis1isavailable Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rck01 wrote: »

RCK

Bah be honest, it requires 5 times more skill than aux2batt faw, and without vapers it's stall trek online all the day. This game sits on the ridiculous level of buff stacking and that's why noobcleowin beam is so powerful.

I much prefer vapers to fawmitards, lockbox godships or my own faw build. But i'm forced to play it because of disgustiing alien lockbox power creep which obsolete 90% of non-rom faction ships.

Ah, and you should be happy mini actually killed you with a klingon BoP and not some i win sing jump ship :D
  • realminirealmini Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    all u nubs gonna rage quoit when i flank your TRIBBLE for 100k base non crit dmg. better step your game up>>>>> theres the door
  • this1isavailablethis1isavailable Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    all u nubs gonna rage quoit when i flank your TRIBBLE for 100k base non crit dmg. better step your game up>>>>> theres the door

8% moar dmg isnt as good as rom boff stacks and more tact consoles.
    And you know they'll buff warbirds before the flanking goes live for BoPs.
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    With the OP on this one. Am simply too tired to keep up with all the power creep and grind that seem to onslaught the playerbase endlessly. Maybe there are people who love such gameplay. Star Trek Online originally captured my heart for one thing and one thing only - it's PvP. Now it's getting harder and harder to say which part of PvP is player vs player and which part is player vs gear.

I will take a break. If I have time to think on it and i think it's worth it, maybe I will come back. Otherwise ... some day I will log on just to say bye to my friends.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • risingstorm1risingstorm1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    "Vaping" or "Ganking" actually requires more skill then anything else, you have to make a good build first, then you have to learn how to time you skills, when to buff, when to decloak, when to fire and everything, it's hard to find a good ganker out there now, there are so little that know what they're doing, but, when a pro at it decloaks on you, it doesn't matter what you do, or how "tanky" you ship is, you'll instantly die.
  • rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wow! I was just venting, guys - never intended to cause such a firestorm! :)

But to respond to one comment about "slotting 4x neutroniums w/turn," that's perhaps the most frustrating part for me: Having to put on a bunch of armor just to survive the relentless shield penetration onslaught.

In my most recent build, I waste 2 valuable engineering slots on Mark 12 Fleet Neuts. Factor in the other "mandatory" (at least for A2B cruisers) universal consoles - Borg, ZP, Nukara and Leech - and you're simply out of slots.

There's no room for innovation. If I slot an FC console (and slide a universal into one of the neut-occupied slots) to improve my drain/up my beam overcap, I risk getting spiked into the ground by some Elachi-wielding P2W player. Likewise, if want to use my Omega or MACO sets to boost my offensive potential, I have to drop the Borg 2-piece "Bathtub" and again risk being spiked to dust.

In fact, the only way to survive is to slot so much armor and other hull-protecting gear that you become a floating metal box with almost no offensive output. I've tried to balance my builds with the aforementioned universals and lots of CritH consoles, but I know I could have more "punch" if I dropped the neuts and Borg 2-piece in favor of a pair of FC consoles and the Omega 2-piece.

I actually tried that today, and I was thrilled with the boost to my weapons output/effect on targets. But then I got my hull melted by some dude in one of those fugly "smoking" carriers (a carrier!!!!) and I just threw up my hands. I had full shields and yet my 60K+ cruiser was reduced to a fireball faster than I could respond. Just crazy.

So it's not merely the insta-vaping (though I still feel it's out of hand). It's all the other stuff that is so far from Star Trek "canon" that it makes STO feel entirely unrelated. I mean, how many starships sported armor in TNG/DS9/VOY? Fed technology is supposed to be about the effective use of energy - to shield, to reinforce, to deflect - not piling on layers of "stuff" to keep out all the incoming fire that seems to sail right through those very same energy-based defenses.

I mean, seriously, what's the solution?

RCK
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rcko01 wrote:
    I mean, seriously, what's the solution?

RCK

Team based PvP.

Vapers are still strong but "winning" and "losing" aren't decided on a single kill and different ship types/captain roles cover each others (built in by design) deficiencies.

Or make a Fed-Romulan vaper, and give the other guys a taste of their own medicine decloaking on them right as they blow their load and are facing another direction. ;)
  • rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    edited February 2014

And therein lies the problem: There is no "stepping up" anymore. There's no counter to this stuff - it's just insta-death. At least with the BO double-taps and Ion attacks I could sometimes avoid destruction by quickly hitting evasive, APO, PH, and some other defensive buffs. It felt like a real "game" then - a matching of skills and wits between predator (vaper) and prey (me). I even got lucky sometimes and popped the vaper before they could escape after a failed attack.

But then I got hit with a 95K (ninety five thousand - through full shields/armor!) combo-Proton/whatever attack from you, Mini, and it all crystalized for me: There is no defense.

And without a viable means of at least *trying* to counter an attack, there is no "game" anymore.

It's just a lopsided slaughter-fest, and that's no fun for anyone... :(

RCK
This discussion has been closed.