test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flaw in the new FE storyline?

wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
I had a thought as I was playing through the new FE for about the 12th time. Why is the Undine presence in the Jenolan Dyson Sphere such a huge threat? Tuvok says it's because they now have direct access to the Alpha Quadrant without having to open a rift from fluidic space.

However, the Undine can't directly access the Alpha Quadrant from the Jenolan Sphere, the gate there goes to the Solanae sphere. If they fly through the gate, they're just as likely to be fried by the sun as they are to be destroyed, one by one, by Feds, Klinks, Rommies, Voth, or all of the above.

Saying that they do get through that gate, they have to reach the other gateway that leads to Tau Dewa, which has already been heavily fortified against the Voth. So you have not one, but two bottlenecks that the Undine would have to fight their way through.

Plus, the Undine are already running rampant over half of Gamma Orionis. They're half the reason that Battlegroup Omega is sitting there at the transwarp gate, watching for them or the Borg to make their move.

Taking all this into consideration, it would probably be easier for the Undine to invade the Alpha Quadrant by way of subspace rifts rather than the sphere gateways.
Post edited by wakeroberts on

Comments

• nbsjdnbsjd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Also why doesn't the U.S.S. Gold mention Omega particles? You figure a Fed ship would have went into alert as soon as they were detected.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wich is entirely relevant...

However: Species 8472 in STO have shown that they can morph their ships into Federation Look-alikes (Now disabled Terradome), so all they have to do is enter the Jenolan sphere, Wait to an alliance ship, blow it to pieces and return as them.

Since the area where the Jenolan sphere now is, is clearly not under federation control anymore, they will have an easy time taking over ships at will.

I do see your point though, so lets hope the "To be continued..." will elaborate more on this.
    nbsjd wrote: »
    Also why doesn't the U.S.S. Gold mention Omega particles? You figure a Fed ship would have went into alert as soon as they were detected.

Considering how close the Gateway was to the star, I'd say that there is a good chance that sensor reading through the gate were severely limited.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Bigger flaw in the FE is: Why the heck does no one respect my authority!!!!?

NPC: The fleet is going to engage the Voth while you go help Tuvok.
    Vice Admiral Me: What the heck, send the fleet to help Tuvok. I can take the voth.
    NPC: No there are too many of them, we are sending the fleet.
    Vice Admiral Me: I AM A FLEET!! Havnt you seen the number of ships in my hanger?
    NPC: We are sending the fleet.

NPC: We want you to fly close to the sun.
    Vice Admiral Me: That's a horrible Idea, I am not doing that.
    NPC: Yes you are.

NPC: We need to go this way to avoid the Voth.
    Vice Admiral Me: What the heck? Ive taken down the borg queen, giant dinosaurs with lazers and literaly thousands of NPCS Look at my damn accolade list. Heck there isn't a single enemy alive I cant solo.
    NPC: So we are going to avoid the Voth.

NPC: We have to activate the gateway.
    Vice Admiral Me: That's a damn fool thing to do. Don't do that!
    NPC: I am doing it any way.

NPC: We are claiming this sphere
    Vice admiral Me: Like hell you are.
    NPC: Want to fight?
    Vice admiral Me: Lets do this!
    NPC 2: No don't fight its a bad idea.

... I'm sorry this whole mission was one big tease. It never let me do the things I wanted to do... even though I outranked all the people telling me no.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    nbsjd wrote: »

The USS Gold was stuck in the other Dyson Sphere once the gateways were rebooted (back in Sphere of Influence) it's been stuck in that sphere since then, when the gateway did open they were immediately greeted with an attack by a very powerful Voth dreadnaught which left her disabled, only to be rescused by Tuvok and ourselved emerging from the gate behind the Dreadnaught. I imagine the captain saw no need to mention to us about Omega particles emitating from the other side of a Gateway we just came through. Besides, that is not something that the captain would have talked about over a general communications channel.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another thing--if the risk of the Undine coming through the gateway between the two Dyson Spheres is so great, then why doesn't the Alliance just repulsor-beam the Solane-end gate into the sun? Even if the gate is able to survive, having it submerged in superheated plasma would be a severe hazard for any ship attempting to come through from the Jenolen-end.
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Several possibilities:

The Jenolen sphere, while able to jump across space, didn't generate or use omega particles. Perhaps it had another 'emergency' power supply, but wasn't built for extensive jumping.

The Gold might not have detected any Omega particles through the gate, due to solar interference. Also, the main Omega generators and storage are on the shell, many, many kilometers away from the sun station, which is more of a control room. Maybe the Jouret gate simply opened right next to some very strong Omega signatures, while the sun gate did not.

The Jouret gate was said to be 'fixed' at a single point, but not all space gates are. We had to disable gates in the Elachi Event so they couldn't be redirected for use in raids. Perhaps the Alliance wouldn't trust leaving a massive space gate in Undine hands, even if it's currently set only to the Solanae sun station. Who knows what they could accomplish if they had free time to mess with the gate.

The Undine are incredibly powerful and more threatening and aggressive than the Voth. Maybe the Solanae sphere must be defended from them, or else they'd roll on through and go through our gate. The Voth could care less about actually getting ships through the Jouret gate, as it's not relevant to their interests in the Sphere. They may have even sent a few recon ships through, but they're not out to 'burn the Alpha Quadrant'.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Bigger flaw in the FE is: Why the heck does no one respect my authority!!!!?

Vice Admiral Me: What the heck, send the fleet to help Tuvok. I can take the voth.
    Vice Admiral Me: I AM A FLEET!! Havnt you seen the number of ships in my hanger?

Vice Admiral Me: What the heck? Ive taken down the borg queen, giant dinosaurs with lazers and literaly thousands of NPCS Look at my damn accolade list. Heck there isn't a single enemy alive I cant solo.

... I'm sorry this whole mission was one big tease. It never let me do the things I wanted to do... even though I outranked all the people telling me no.
    Yes, thank you for that. The FE just highlights even more how TRIBBLE-backwards tying character rank to character level renders the story. Everyone playing the FE outranks Tuvok by two full grades but he still feels he can order us around. (Sorry, Tuvok, but seniority does not override rank.) And everyone involved outranks Kaol and the flagship captains by three grades.

In the immortal words of Jack O'Neill, "Does it say 'colonel' anywhere on my uniform?"
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited February 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    And everyone involved outranks Kaol and the flagship captains by three grades.

Speaking of which, where the hell was Shon when the other two flagships turned up? (I assume klinks and pointy-ears were likewise missing Koren and Jarok, respectively.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes, thank you for that. The FE just highlights even more how TRIBBLE-backwards tying character rank to character level renders the story. Everyone playing the FE outranks Tuvok by two full grades but he still feels he can order us around. (Sorry, Tuvok, but seniority does not override rank.) And everyone involved outranks Kaol and the flagship captains by three grades.

In the immortal words of Jack O'Neill, "Does it say 'colonel' anywhere on my uniform?"

Does anybody take their level seriously enough that this is actually a problem worth addressing?

I wear captain pips. I am a captain. Problem solved.
    edited February 2014
    Speaking of which, where the hell was Shon when the other two flagships turned up? (I assume klinks and pointy-ears were likewise missing Koren and Jarok, respectively.)

No, Shon never announces his arrival... he didn't with my Fed, my Klingon nor my Rom. He was just kinda, there at the end.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Does anybody take their level seriously enough that this is actually a problem worth addressing?

Stow it Captain, I and others wear Admiralty designations.

tekehd wrote: »
    No, Shon never announces his arrival... he didn't with my Fed, my Klingon nor my Rom. He was just kinda, there at the end.

I just finished it with my KDF. He does announce his arrival but not in a boisterous way like the Bortas'Q captain (Who I guess I replaced as the KDF representative in the mission).

On my feds the Enterprise doesn't show up at all (Since my fed is the Federation rep).
    edited February 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »

It says "vice admiral" in my status window, it says "vice admiral" in my character profile, it says "vice admiral" on my level bar, it says "vice admiral" in the shipyard, it says "vice admiral" in the reputation system, it says "vice admiral" when random NPCs comment on my rank. Everywhere you look, except if you look at my chest, I outrank everyone in the mission by at least two grades.

If Cryptic wants us to be vice admirals, then people in-universe need to actually treat us that way, and that means not getting ordered around by an O-6. Otherwise, they could've just left the name at captain.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited February 2014
    It says "vice admiral" in my status window, it says "vice admiral" in my character profile, it says "vice admiral" on my level bar, it says "vice admiral" in the shipyard, it says "vice admiral" in the reputation system, it says "vice admiral" when random NPCs comment on my rank. Everywhere you look, except if you look at my chest, I outrank everyone in the mission by at least two grades.

If Cryptic wants us to be vice admirals, then people in-universe need to actually treat us that way, and that means not getting ordered around by an O-6. Otherwise, they could've just left the name at captain.

The NPC's in Star Trek captain tradition are thumbing their nose at your orders.
    edited February 2014
    The NPC's in Star Trek captain tradition are thumbing their nose at your orders.

tekehd wins the thread. :D
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Not sure, I definitely saw the enterprise when playing as the KDF , but Ent-F seemed to be the only one not there for both my Romulan and Starfleet plays
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »
    I just finished it with my KDF. He does announce his arrival but not in a boisterous way like the Bortas'Q captain (Who I guess I replaced as the KDF representative in the mission).

On my feds the Enterprise doesn't show up at all (Since my fed is the Federation rep).

On my Rom, it was the Liset and the Enterprise that shows up. Bortasqu was a no show.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The key point everyone that is picking holes in the FE storyline is missing are the three words right at the very end. TO BE CONTINUED. So who knows how the story will develop next.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Overall, I enjoyed the mission. Though the story does have some plot holes. Spoilers below, of course.

The inclusion of the Jenolen Dyson sphere is what threw me. In TNG's Relics, Data told Picard that the sphere was abandoned and the star is highly unstable. Expelling matter and severe bursts of radiation. This explains why the inhabitants of that particular sphere abandoned it. Many of Enterprises systems were disabled - including weakened shields. The crew was at ongoing risk from continued exposure to this radiation.

Later on, Picard asks Worf if the ship's phasers could be used to cut a hole through the shell of the sphere, allowing the Enterprise to escape? However, the sphere is composed of carbon-neutronium and phasers or torpedoes would be completely ineffective.

Our mission suggests that the Deep Space Science Vessel, USS Gold, has been recently trapped inside there in a disabled state. The state of the Gold suggested that it wasn't in the best condition. Granted it's been 40 years since this sphere was discovered, would not the Golds crew have been at risk for continued exposure to the same radiation bursts as Enterprise had been? If something changed, what? I'm also befuddled about no mention of Omega in the Jenolen sphere. That does need explaining.

Also, the Undine managed to blast the same carbon-neutronium access door that the Enterprise couldn't scratch. While also plowing that same beam through the Voth shields to crack that dreadnaught like an egg. I guess that we are to believe the Undine's anti-proton beam weapons are that much more superior? How did the flagships both of the KDF and Republic withstand such firepower immediately after these events?

What of any Voth survivors of that shattered dreadnaught? My Captain - and I dare say Tuvok - would have thought to at least look for them.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Playing my Fed, I did see what was presumably the Enterprise-F during the first cutscene which showed the Joint Command fleet holding off the Voth fleet. Just before it panned down to our own starship. Later on, perhaps Shon simply stayed on the other side of the gate to destroy it should the Romulan and KDF flagships have failed?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    However, the Undine can't directly access the Alpha Quadrant from the Jenolan Sphere, the gate there goes to the Solanae sphere.

Solanae Sphere is in the Delta Quadrant....

how they getting to the Alpha Quadrant :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • matth431matth431 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    psiameese wrote: »

Also, the Undine managed to blast the same carbon-neutronium access door that the Enterprise couldn't scratch. While also plowing that same beam through the Voth shields to crack that dreadnaught like an egg. I guess that we are to believe the Undine's anti-proton beam weapons are that much more superior? How did the flagships both of the KDF and Republic withstand such firepower immediately after these events?

What of any Voth survivors of that shattered dreadnaught? My Captain - and I dare say Tuvok - would have thought to at least look for them.

I assume the initial Undine shot is the "combined fire" Death Star superlaser ripoff we saw them do in the VOY "Scorpion" two-parter. The one that one-shots Borg Cubes and planets. Then they broke formation to fit through the gap, so couldn't use it on us. It can probably only target massive ships or stations or planets effectively though.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Shon and the Enterprise shows up if you are a Klingon or Klingon Allied Romulan, Mz.Attitude and the Bortasqu shows up if you are Federation or a Federation Allied Romulan. The Romulan in the Scimitar shows up either way.
    And in the normal tradition of science fiction why in hell are we trying to make sense of this?
    This "I'm an admiral why are they ordering me around" stuff is getting really old, you are the captain of a ship, not lord of all you survey and unless you are going to surrender command of your ship to another officer and take up the position of this person giving you orders then you will follow your orders to render aid to him in the way that he directs. Too many chefs spoil the soup, there is a reason why a captain has the final would on his ship and an on-sight commander has the final word in the purview of his command, even when he is the presence of officers that may outrank him. You may feel like you're being ordered around but remember the mission is meant to be playable by lower level players and even though it seems like they're ordering you around, you are still the one being asked to make decisions about what actions to take, which pretty much says you're in command.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What the heck? Ive taken down the borg queen, giant dinosaurs with lazers and literaly thousands of NPCS Look at my damn accolade list. Heck there isn't a single enemy alive I cant solo.

For some reason, that reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12PWq22E9CQ
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Heck there isn't a single enemy alive I cant solo.

I would very much like to see a build that can take on three Undine Battleships and a pair of Dreadnoughts solo
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't want to spoil the rage, but literally nothing in STO makes any sense since it defies the very principles of the IP from the very first moment you start playing. Everything that follows is not even a coherent storyline but a loose scattershot of random episodes so we can shoot every creature we saw in any installment of the show.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • goraqgoraq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The thing that's been really bugging me about the story for this FE is what is said in the dialog before the final cut-scene.

Specifically Tuvok's line of-

"We have fulfilled our mission to neutralize the jump capabilities of the Solenae Sphere, only to open up a gateway that the Undine can now use to reach our space. They will no longer have to create rifts from fluidic space."

Unless I'm missing something, the only way I can see this newly activated Iconian gateway allowing the Undine to reach our space without the need for a rift is if the gateway, and by proxy the Jenolan Sphere, is now inside fluidic space.

If that was the case would we not have detected this when the Sphere door was breached?
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    goraq wrote: »
    The thing that's been really bugging me about the story for this FE is what is said in the dialog before the final cut-scene.

Specifically Tuvok's line of-

"We have fulfilled our mission to neutralize the jump capabilities of the Solenae Sphere, only to open up a gateway that the Undine can now use to reach our space. They will no longer have to create rifts from fluidic space."

Unless I'm missing something, the only way I can see this newly activated Iconian gateway allowing the Undine to reach our space without the need for a rift is if the gateway, and by proxy the Jenolan Sphere, is now inside fluidic space.

If that was the case would we not have detected this when the Sphere door was breached?

I guess the Undine have massed a large force in the Delta Quadrant in the last 20 years.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Or my klingon General I sent through. ******n it I am A LT General of the IKN. You damn well better do what I say or I'll kill you all. But no, RADM Tuvok overrides me and basically orders me around.

Oh and as far as the Enterprise not showing up, do anything Klingon affiliated, Enterprise shows up instead of the Bortasqu'
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't think the Jenolan Sphere is in fluidic space, Tuvok said it was simply deeper into the Delta Quadrant, possibly near Borg Space if those two are still shooting each other up.

Also, how did the Jenolan Sphere jump without rendering half of the alpha quadrant unable to use warp drive? By all accounts the Jenolan sun station should be in an even worse state than the Solanae one, so how come there wasn't an Omega detonation?
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It would be a much bigger problem if the Borg managed to get into the sphere... Remember them? They were included in about 5 missions and a few sector block encounters? Remember how they're obsessed with omega particles which are abundant in the dyson sphere? Remember how they've had a huge armada on it's way for four years which still hasn't arrived?... No? Well I do, when someone said 'powerful new foe' and 'dyson sphere' in the same sentence as 'omega particles' I thought "BORG!" :eek:

Nope, laser-saurs and undie-wear instead. Did Cryptic take meth or something? :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.