Install Arc
Options

Player LC Submission Ideas

Comments

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Sorry, @proteusrex I liked your title:

Out of the Game:

Your captain is prepping for a potential long-term mission (exploration, deep strike, colony fleet) that could last several months. Time to update the bridge roster? What are they bringing? What contingencies are they preparing for on the journey? What do they hope or fear to face?

What is happening with their relationships with such a long-term separation, and what would happen if the mission is scrubbed after all this work?
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    @antonine3258 no problem, it's a great idea. Got a few ideas for your prompt.

**Lost Friends #1 - The Annorax conundrum**
    Time travel is a difficult, dangerous thing and with war consuming the Galaxy it is starting to look like the best chance of defeating the Iconians. But at what costs?

Your Captain receives an encoded message from an old friend, who is now working with the Krenim. The Iconian Resistance is preparing to use their temporal weaponship against the Iconians, and their latest simulations indicate a 99.998% preservation of the timeline. It's the best result they have so far and the Alliance is preparing to act on it. The problem is that in the 0.002% is a terrible truth (and the reason they contacted you). Your Captain's best-friend/lover/family-line will be wiped out of existence. Is the end of this terrible war worth the existance of your Captain, or the people they love? Would your Captain act against his allies to stop it? or would they allow 'history' to play out according to plan?

**Lost Friends#2 - In Another Life**
    Time travel is a difficult, dangerous thing and with war consuming the Galaxy it is starting to look like the best chance of defeating the Iconians. But at what costs?

There has been a temporal mis-fire in the development of the Krenim temporal weapon, and it has caused the slightest ripple in the timeline. Your Captain never met their significant other/best-friend/ or trusted #1, and all their history together has been erased. How did your Captain's life play out without the guidance/love/or friendship of this other person? What happens when they meet again for the first time? Is it deja vu? are they fast friends? or have the circumstances changed so much that they could never be more than enemies?

**Golden Age**
    It is a Golden Age. The Dominion war united the quadrant. The Federation and their Romulan and Klingon allies are in a lasting peace. The Undine defeated the Borg and brought Voyager home, ushering in a new era of exploration deep in the Delta Quadrant. Romulas is intact and the Iconains never resurfaced. Peace has settled in on the Galaxy in a way that has never been seen before.

Your Captain wakes up in a world without conflict and crisis. Your ship is on the frontier, on an exciting mission of exploration and discovery. Your crew, family and friends are happy and healthy. Life is good. As your Captain settles down for a morning coffee, there is a flash in your Captain's ready room. A mysterious person stands before you claiming to be a time traveler. They explain that everything is wrong. The Golden Age you stand in now was the result of a terrible mistake meant to end the Iconian war. (ie. destruction of earth; the extinction of the Tellarites; the death of a teenage James T. Kirk; the plague that ravaged Qo'Nos; the Tholian erasure from existence.) Regardless of how good things are, it can't be left like this and history needs your help. After all, the catastrophe that caused this was your fault (in the other timeline).

What happens when someone tells you that your timeline is the wrong one? What happens when they tell you that you caused an unspeakable act that lead to an unprecedented peace? What happened that created this golden age? Will your Captain help restore the proper timeline? or was the cost worth it for this Golden Utopia?

(extra points for a two parter where 'Lost Friends' is the cause. :smiley: )
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    "Abductions and Changes"

Someone close to your character, being a friend, family member, lover, or child, has been abducted!! Be it Section 31, the Tal Shiar, the Orions, the Borg, the Elachi, the Solanae, whatever, it doesn't matter - you go after them, track them down, and rescue the one taken.

Only... they're not exactly the same as when they were taken. They haven't been brainwashed, their personality is still the same, but their body was... experimented on (or partially assimilated, in the case of the Borg).

Write a short story detailing your character's rescue of their friend/family member/lover/child, and the discovery of the changes that were made to them. What changes were made? Does it have any disadvantages? Does it have any benefits? Is it possible to restore them to who they once were? Do they want to return to being 'normal'?
    Post edited by takeshi6 on
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    trojanborgtrojanborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    What happened to the official literary challenges? I've been away for almost a year. This sucks!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    trojanborg wrote: »
    What happened to the official literary challenges? I've been away for almost a year. This sucks!

They stopped posting them after BranFlakes left. We've been handling it ourselves with the Unofficial Literary Challenges. This is the current one.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    trojanborg wrote: »

They stopped posting them after BranFlakes left. We've been handling it ourselves with the Unofficial Literary Challenges. This is the current one.

Smirk was doing them for a while too--then someone ticked him off with an NSFW entry and gave him the excuse he needed to axe the LC's. Unfortunate that it was ruined by one person throwing a Baby Ruth into the pool, but them's the breaks in the "real world."

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    "The Rival"

All our captains have enemies in abundance, but what about a rival? Somebody they've competed with since officer training or before, somebody they always have to be better than, somebody they trade barbs and insults and even the odd bout of fisticuffs with, but somebody who is nonetheless on the same side, at least in theory. Who is it in your captain's own service (or an allied one) that they just can't stand, and for whom the feeling is mutual?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Oh, one more:

"Tholia"

The Tholians, one of Star Trek's most mysterious species. One minute they're trading peacefully with the Romulans, the next they're kidnapping Constitution-class starships into alternate realities. And what we know about them could be written on one sheet of paper with space remaining: they live on Class Y planets and they like spinning webs.

But what's their deal, really? Let's see what happens when your captain gets embroiled in Tholian matters.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    "The Rival"

All our captains have enemies in abundance, but what about a rival? Somebody they've competed with since officer training or before, somebody they always have to be better than, somebody they trade barbs and insults and even the odd bout of fisticuffs with, but somebody who is nonetheless on the same side, at least in theory. Who is it in your captain's own service (or an allied one) that they just can't stand, and for whom the feeling is mutual?

There's actually somebody Alyosha didn't like at the Academy, and I'm pretty sure he didn't like Alyosha either. Frankly, they both had a bad attitude and at times a rather immature one. As soon as I realized the two of them were going to wind up in the same graduating class AND due to their affinities for certain sciences were likely in the same classroom too...yeah, I can see right where this one would go. Not sure if I can actually make a story around it though...but I know who it is, especially since Alyosha's outlasted this individual careerwise by so much.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    "To Err is... whatever"

Came to me while I was trying to list the defining features of a so-called "Mary Sue", one of which is: is never in the wrong, and never gets anything wrong. Well, apart from being cheating, that's missing out on a lot of good plot.

Write a story in which your captain makes a mess of something. It could be a disastrous military miscalculation that gets people killed, mysterious sensor readings that your captain has a brainwave about the cause of (as usual) only it turns out that it wasn't that at all, or a simple case of "Why the heck did you tell us you could speak Rihannsu?" When "Entertain Foreign Dignitaries: Disaster" comes up on the Duty Officer assignments list, we'd all like to hear that story!
  • Options
    "Minor Duties (Armada)"

Similar to my previous 'Minor Duties' Prompt, only slightly larger in scale.

Not every task is significant enough to require your full attention - especially if you're in charge of a mighty armada.

So, when one of these smaller tasks crops up, you assign one of your subordinate ships to see to it.

What happens? Does the mission go off without a hitch? Does an unexpected event yield an unforeseen boon? Or do the ships you send run into trouble that makes the mission much harder than it should be?

Pick an Armada Mission, and the ships to go on it. Determine how it goes. And write a short story detailing what happens.
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    "Old Mirror in the Funhouse"

The Mirror Universe's focus with our reality as a new realm to conquer certainly helped keep the Alliance busy after the Iconian War; but the revelation of extensive temporal tampering by those currently in power raise the question that the moral inversion is not simply a 'state' of the Mirror Universe's reality.

Your crew and captain have been asked to take a mission into the past of the Mirror Universe to try and see if any of the damage is correctable. And, as is tradition in time travel, run into mirror versions of your favorite historical figures.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    History 101
    subject: you
    You are a great captain/admiral/general/whatever, blasting enemies left-and-right, whopping asses across the quadrant, saving the galaxy time and again, other things you have done etc etc etc.
    Whether you are a explorer, a scientist, an brilliant engineer, a warrior or a strategist, you've left marks in the galaxy, big or small. Helped shaping it's future.
    And as with most famous historical figures, you will no doubt end up in so boring textbook. So, how will you be depicted in that book? A famous officer? a honourble warrior? engineer and creator of a new important invention? A scientist dedicated to knowledge? Rough-and-tumble soldier?Will you have pages dedicated to you, or just a small footnote of interest?
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    xanchaxancha Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    how about a "what if......" story like Marval comics dose sometimes on an actual star trek episode or movie
  • Options
    "Mirrors of Love"

During an encounter with the Mirror Universe, be it repelling another Terran invasion or entering the other universe to run reconnaissance, you meet the Mirror Counterpart of an old love interest, one who, in your universe, has died (either a long time ago or fairly recently).

How do you interact with this Mirror of your old flame? Are they similar to their prime counterpart, or vastly different? And when your encounter with the Mirror Universe ends, what happens to them? Do they join you, giving you a second chance at love? Do you go your separate ways? Or are you forced to watch your love die a second time, or worse, have to kill them yourself?
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    Oooh, that's a good one, takeshi

"Race is Not to the Swift"

Intelligence has another one of those tricky assignments, and your captain is still on their short list of experts. While they need you and your bridge officer's expertise, insertion for the mission requires an ordinary, civilian transport, and you are not the captain. You've got some downtime ahead. How do you handle the long trip. Does the ship's captain's command style rub your captain the wrong way? What are the other passengers like, and are they enemies or friends?

Oh, and how does the actual mission go, if they make it through the trip?

• Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I totally forgot about these...

"Temporal Research"

Due to the nature of Noye's behavior and subsequent betrayal of the Alliance powers, you've been dragged into the investigations. Your not leading the investigation though, no, you are being investigated by your respective factions Temporal Investigative Officer for potentially being the cause of Noye's erratic behavior, leading up to what's been classified as the 'Butterfly Incident' by the Alliance's respective Temporal Investigation Departments. What do they drag up, what do you find out you didn't even know?

"Pioneer and Veteran"

After gaining clearance and becoming the lead Temporal Officer for your respective faction, you've been given unrestricted access to a sealed file made by a Captain who was recognized as the man who saved the early Federation, one Jonathan Archer, of the Enterprise NX-01. Among the files are incidents regarding Xindi invasion of the early 21st century, detailed information regarding the former Delphic Expanse and the former Sphere network contained within and the nickname 'Sphere Builders' credited to their creator species, to an aborted timeline created by an unknown Species who identified themselves as being a part of the Temporal Cold War. What does your Captain learn, do they connect the dots, or is this information going to cause them to chase after shadows in the dark?
  • Options
    Oooh, that's a good one, takeshi

Thank you. :smile:

Didn't come up with it in time for this month, but will certainly enjoy it if it gets picked for next month. :grin:
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    Let's finish the quotation.

"Nor the Battle to the Strong"

Your captain's been picked for one of those uglier details - post battle analysis, Is it an ancient battlefield long-ago, between two empires whose names have been long-forgotten (though sometimes the weapons are still active!) or is it search and rescue following the latest strike against the enemies of your captain's government? Are there survivors? Did the captain have relationship with the combatants (friends, rivals, even an old enemy that someone else got the killing blow on). Or will the captain have to give testimony at a board of inquiry?

• Options
    lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    I like this idea: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14707501&posted=1#post14707501

write out how Trill came to be a Joined race. :D

The Trill aren't a joined race on the whole.. Only a very few elite are chosen to bond with the Symbiotes less than a fraction of a percent.

lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    lazarx wrote: »
    I like this idea: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14707501&posted=1#post14707501

write out how Trill came to be a Joined race. :D

The Trill aren't a joined race on the whole.. Only a very few elite are chosen to bond with the Symbiotes less than a fraction of a percent.

I believe(At least novel canon) that that is't the case and in whole a large percent CAN Join, but the Trill Symbiotes are like a resource, and they didn't want to cause infighting between Joined/Non-Joined to get them, as it would devastate their civilization. This of course was off-topic, so I'll finish it with a on-topic discussion.

Forgive me if there's a similar idea in the previous pages:

"For the Want of a Nail"

Your Captain has had to make a tough choice, because of that choice a colony/star system/ship was lost to the enemy. Write the events leading up to the loss of the colony/star system/ship, and how your Captain dealt with the repercussions.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    "A Duel? With Swords?"

On a diplomatic mission to another world, your captain or a member of your crew offends a local noble and is challenged to a duel! Their leaders demand you respect their cultural heritage by taking part, or else they will break off diplomatic relations. Do you try to find a way out of it? Do you insist that it goes forward to protect the mission?

Doesn't have to be a sword duel: you could use pistols, a wrestling match, even a sing-off.

EDIT: Added a line.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    "Ruins of the Departed"

Your crew begins an archaeological dig, investigating ruins of a long-departed people. As you walk among the empty acropolises and fallen cities, do you learn new truths about your own existence? Could it be that the conflicts of today go back far further than you thought? Do you discover lost technologies that could improve people's lives or their ability to wage war? Does the reason the civilization fell still haunt the ruins?
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited May 2016
    "Ruins of the Departed"

Your crew begins an archaeological dig, investigating ruins of a long-departed people. As you walk among the empty acropolises and fallen cities, do you learn new truths about your own existence? Could it be that the conflicts of today go back far further than you thought? Do you discover lost technologies that could improve people's lives or their ability to wage war? Does the reason the civilization fell still haunt the ruins?

Huh. Interesting premise.

Also one with a lot of potential, especially given the fact that Star Trek's penchant for alternate dimensions is CHOCK FULL of Crossover potential. :)
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    "Faith Collapsing"-Your captain or ship is transferred to a new command, only to find out that the chain of command not only accepts actions you find morally objectionable, but that your fellow officers endorse it. How do you deal with being assigned to serve under a rotten or corrupt commander when the bulk of the fleet-group you're with are also corrupted in the same fashion?

I think John Sheridan had the same attitude Eleya would:
    CAPT. EDWARD MACDOUGAN. John, get your tail out of here. This isn't gonna work! Like it or not Proxima 3 is under Earth jurisdiction. We can't allow them to secede, whoever's in office.
    CAPT. JOHN SHERIDAN. They broke away after Clark started bombing civilian targets. What's the rule about following an illegal order?
    MACKIE. You don't. We're not involved. We haven't attacked anyone.
    SHERIDAN. But you're about to. Any action you take in support of an illegal order makes you an accomplice. Come on, Mackie! President Clark is out of control. He's got you out here on an illegal mission. Back at the academy, you used to pose moral conflicts for us as part of our training. You said that soldiers aren't machines. They have to think! They have to decide if an order is moral or not.
    "Social Upheaval"-the temporary stability of the Klingon Empire has relied on a succession of external enemies ever since the Iconians took out most of the High Council. IN the wake of the Iconian war, and without an obvious external enemy, it's time for the Klingons to debate their future as only Klingons would-with disruptors, blades, explosives, starships, and harsh words. How does your captain deal with a simmering Klingon civil war, knowing what you know is out there? Will you try to stop it, will you pick a side, or will you just hope to get out of the way?
    Actually it relied on external enemies for a hell of a long time before "Surface Tension". Pretty much since the Hur'q, in fact: if it wasn't humanity/the Federation, then it was the Romulans, the Dominion, the Undine...

The house Brokosh married into is already an ally of the Martok faction; he'd probably be dragged in. Eleya might intervene under orders to protect civilians, but otherwise she and Morgan are both inclined to break out the popcorn and watch Qo'noS burn. (Morgan more than Eleya, believe it or not: she was actually around for the Klingons invading the Romulan Empire after Hobus and would consider it the Elements exacting karmic retribution.)
    "The Proof"-Your Captain, either by deliberate investigation/spying or by some happenstance, comes into possession of the 'real' security record of J'mPok's duel with Chancellor Martok-and it's a corker. Turns out Martok was an Undine infiltrator and J'mpok covered it up to try and preserve stability in the Empire. But now you've got proof, and the possibility that Martok might still be alive in Undine captivity. What do you do? This is explosive info-it could trigger a hot war among, or against, the Klingons.
    How did J'mpok cover up the lack of a body?

I think it's a lot more straightforward: he either killed the actual Martok in a duel that nobody was around to watch, or he murdered Martok, and either way his crony B'vat prevented anybody from properly investigating. Either way, it was all politics: J'mpok canonically wanted war with the Federation way before anybody knew about the Undine problem, and Martok didn't.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    I think both the new ideas sets (@starswordc and @patrickngo ) are great for story seeds.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Thought this could be fun for dramedy character pieces.

"Dinner with the In-Laws"

One thing that's true of most relationships, your love interest usually has relatives. It's trouble enough for humans to meet the in-laws, but what do you do when your Betazoid girlfriend's mom starts reading your mind looking for an excuse to break you up? Does your Klingon brother-in-law demand you undertake various hilariously painful warrior rites? How about a reactionary Bajoran grandfather who doesn't want his grandson marrying outside faith and caste?

Or maybe they just have an annoying younger cousin whom both of you would rather avoid. You decide!
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options

One thing that's true of most relationships, your love interest usually has relatives. It's trouble enough for humans to meet the in-laws, but what do you do when your Betazoid girlfriend's mom starts reading your mind looking for an excuse to break you up? Does your Klingon brother-in-law demand you undertake various hilariously painful warrior rites? How about a reactionary Bajoran grandfather who doesn't want his grandson marrying outside faith and caste?

Or maybe they just have an annoying younger cousin whom both of you would rather avoid. You decide!

Interesting premise, StarSword. :)

Certainly wouldn't mind trying a story with Tia meeting Sobaru's parents back in their Academy days. :)
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    takeshi6 wrote: »

Interesting premise, StarSword. :)

Certainly wouldn't mind trying a story with Tia meeting Sobaru's parents back in their Academy days. :)

Yeah, I was thinking introducing Eleya to Gaarra's dad at some conference (since Gaarra's already met her family). He's a Militia full-bird (full-Orb?) so it'd be akin to Jack O'Neill meeting General Jacob Carter in Stargate SG-1. Maybe have some fun with Militia/Starfleet and ground-pounder/spacer interservice rivalries.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png