test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bastion Flight deck cruiser or Advanced Obelisk?

westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Federation Discussion
I am going to get one of these go my next ship and I was wondering which would be a better choice. I'm leaning towards the obelisk for the console as I'm a pretty big fan of it but I also love the voth cruisers powers.
Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ultimate carrier vs flexible flight deck cruiser

So many pros and cons for the two of em...

Boff layouts are exactly the same...lol?

Extra hangar for the obelisk

Technically you have the 3p when you get the advanced obelisk which gives your pets a boost

Voth flight deck has 2 extra weapon slots and has an extra tact slot

More hull with the obelisk

Voth has a few cruiser commands

Voth flight deck cruiser is a super feedback pulse shield that can shut down...so a decent oh **** ability.

Obelisk console is a super zomg feedback pulse of doom that makes a lot of threat as well

I would do the advanced obelisk...seems to be the better all round ship
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't forget the voth ship comes with some super special hybrid torpedos only available with it and the palisade.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    I am going to get one of these go my next ship and I was wondering which would be a better choice. I'm leaning towards the obelisk for the console as I'm a pretty big fan of it but I also love the voth cruisers powers.

The obelisk and bastion are two different things, so you should expect different things out of them. The Obelisk is a pure carrier, which makes the set good for its pets (and the pets of any other carriers). The Bastion uses its pets as a supplement (a good one, considering the quality of the heavy fighters), but does its main duties as a cruiser.

The choice depends on what you want out of a carrier or cruiser.

IMO you should go for the Bastion. The Advanced Obelisk is nice, but the unique console isn't worth it unless you're heavily into pets and Antiproton weapons.

On the other hand, the Voth cruiser's a pretty good cruiser, and its console is, while more of a situational benefit, hilariously good under the right circumstances. There's nothing like killing an enemy with his own fire
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Neither? If you already have the standard Obelisk, is it worth paying an extra $50+ just for an extra console slot and a pseudo-FBP console? Bastion is nice, but is it really that different from what your Obelisk does?
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Neither? If you already have the standard Obelisk, is it worth paying an extra $50+ just for an extra console slot and a pseudo-FBP console? Bastion is nice, but is it really that different from what your Obelisk does?

Good point. The Obelisk's engineering focus will make it behave more like a cruiser in combat...a cruiser with extra fighters and 2 less weapon slots.

That said, the OP did state that he wants the Obelisk for the console, so theoretically he could have multiple carriers that he might use it on. And I think the console would be pretty good for making pets more effective.

As for the Bastion, it's a good cruiser, period. I also think it and the Palisade are the best-looking "alien" ships in the game right now, so there's that.
  • Options
    wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Adv. Obelisk also have universal Lt. BOFF station instead of eng. That makes a big difference.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    cycling EPTS or EPTW in the 3 peice obelisk set with pets makes them either more dangerous with their BO's, or survive longer depending on which you do.
  • Options
    alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i'd say bastion. the reason is - more firepower on its own, more weapons, more tac consoles. better survivability because of cruiser commands. also the fighter look better and have own skills, kinda "fire and forget" pets that you need less care of.

how its is now, especially in dyson sphere pets do not survive that good to rely on. cruiser with a2b and FAW spam on other hand will perform way better.
  • Options
    matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    if your happy with the Obelisk i say go with the adv Obelisk. It's something you know you like already and will get the last part of the 3p set out of it too, as it sounds like you really want it.

as for the Bastion, its a great cruiser with a lot of punch and the pets are great but if your anything like me it will eat you up not having the full console set. not that one needs it but for me anyways it makes the ship feel complete.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    if your happy with the Obelisk i say go with the adv Obelisk. It's something you know you like already and will get the last part of the 3p set out of it too, as it sounds like you really want it.

as for the Bastion, its a great cruiser with a lot of punch and the pets are great but if your anything like me it will eat you up not having the full console set. not that one needs it but for me anyways it makes the ship feel complete.

Oh **** man I know...

Got the Mobius, had to get the aeon for the black skin (looks sexy). Then I had to get the wells for the 2p bonus (best oh **** button in game)....now I'm grinding the lobi set, Tachyonkinetic converter was a NEED NOW item...and currently at 372 lobi...

Friday and I'll have the full complete temporal set for a fed...totally compulsive, buy man...had to do it. looking forward to opening my alphas with temporal inversion field.

• Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    Oh **** man I know...

Got the Mobius, had to get the aeon for the black skin (looks sexy). Then I had to get the wells for the 2p bonus (best oh **** button in game)....now I'm grinding the lobi set, Tachyonkinetic converter was a NEED NOW item...and currently at 372 lobi...

Friday and I'll have the full complete temporal set for a fed...totally compulsive, buy man...had to do it. looking forward to opening my alphas with temporal inversion field.

I'm saving up to do the same. exact. thing.

I was kind of hoping the wells price would have dropped by now between the lockbox promo and the new science ship, but alas...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm saving up to do the same. exact. thing.

I was kind of hoping the wells price would have dropped by now between the lockbox promo and the new science ship, but alas...

I know your pain...

Got extremely, unbelievably lucky with my ec generators and saw that the wells price was staying firm...was burning a hole in my pocket so I grabbed one....stupid impulsiveness

• Options
    matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    I know your pain...

Got extremely, unbelievably lucky with my ec generators and saw that the wells price was staying firm...was burning a hole in my pocket so I grabbed one....stupid impulsiveness

lol i told one of my fleetmates before S8 came out that if they added the voth lockbox i wouldn't be able to control myself. 2nd day of the lockbox release i was flying a palisade.....

i think cryptic found its target buyer :D
  • Options
    gerrshwinngerrshwinn Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That said, the OP did state that he wants the Obelisk for the console, so theoretically he could have multiple carriers that he might use it on. And I think the console would be pretty good for making pets more effective.

I had this exact thought. I'd say I should have checked the details, as the console is only for the obby (now). However, since it was a bargin that was unpacked in error, I really didn't think it through that much :eek:.

Can't say I've been disappointed with the Cooper's Folly though after discovering this:
    tenkari wrote: »
    cycling EPTS or EPTW in the 3 peice obelisk set with pets makes them either more dangerous with their BO's, or survive longer depending on which you do.

Thank you, oh thank you. Inspired me to think, "why choose?" EPTSx2 & EPTWx2 are currently rocking their stuff on a continuing cycle nicely through the STFs :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    heresincebetaheresincebeta Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is a HUGE problem with the Obelisk/Adv Obelisk: the 3-pc set requires you to use the set's warp core, preventing you from using Elite Fleet warp cores.

Synergy Amp [AMP] comes on Elite Fleet warp cores and is - hands down - best in slot and part of the current metagame.

Get a Bastion, put fleet equipment on it, don't look back.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    There is a HUGE problem with the Obelisk/Adv Obelisk: the 3-pc set requires you to use the set's warp core, preventing you from using Elite Fleet warp cores.

Synergy Amp [AMP] comes on Elite Fleet warp cores and is - hands down - best in slot and part of the current metagame.

Get a Bastion, put fleet equipment on it, don't look back.

It's a choice for sure... I chose continual EPTW2 and EPTS1 (atm ;) ). Looked at fleet warp cores and frankly wasn't impressed at the trade.

Looking forward to trying out my bastion when I get a palisade for a bargin though :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How can you not be impressed by [amp]? +3.5% damage for every subsystem over 75 power. That's final damage, i.e. a real honest to goodness percentile increase on everything you dish out, and it's pretty much guaranteed to be at least +7% on any well run ship. Engineers can achieve a sustained >75 power in every system and therefore enjoy +14% damage thanks to [amp].

It's the single biggest damage boost of anything I can think of.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    How can you not be impressed by [amp]? +3.5% damage for every subsystem over 75 power. That's final damage, i.e. a real honest to goodness percentile increase on everything you dish out, and it's pretty much guaranteed to be at least +7% on any well run ship. Engineers can achieve a sustained >75 power in every system and therefore enjoy +14% damage thanks to [amp].

It's the single biggest damage boost of anything I can think of.

On a heavy Anti-Proton build the Obelisk set can outpace [AMP]. Advanced Fleet Antiproton Dual Heavy Cannon [dmg]x2[acc]x2with an [AMP] and 4x power above 75 shows up as 1080 DPS, but with the Obelisk set that same DHC comes out at 1131.6 DPS. (125 Weapon power, Nukara Reputation with Aux actually slightly higher for the [AMP] because of [W->A] , no Tac consoles mounted, tooltip values)

Though, you loose out on Torp and Cutting Beam damage compared to [AMP], but you can make that up if you have enough cannons/turrets, particularly at 3x subsystems over 75 which is easier for non-Engineers to hit and what Aux2Batt builds run at.

Edit: Opps. You're talking on the Advanced Obelisk, which can field both the set and [AMP] at the same time thanks to the console completing the two-piece set if you fit the beam too, so you can have your cake and eat it too. For most ships, and for the Bastion also in this thread, the above applies.
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *sigh* yes. After a long time of playing, i have also the personal issue of canonizing my ships. Horrible, but 'neccesary'. :)
    /Floozy
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    How can you not be impressed by [amp]? +3.5% damage for every subsystem over 75 power.

It's not that I'm not impressed with this find piece of kit, just that in the case of the adv. obby
    gerrshwinn wrote: »
    ...[not] impressed at the trade[out of the carrier synergy ability].

I'm still pretty green so still chasing maco/omega xii's. Carrier captain at heart and always will be and carrier synergy rocks a fair whack of damage over the 24 beams that shoot out of the innocuous little swarmers. I've two eptw running; the weakened version for the swarmers looks like eptw1 with an up time of 10 secs each. So 10% damage, on third of the time, about +3.3%. This is to the ap defense arrays and to the bo ap arrays. Timed right spawns>eptw>bo always hit together so that +3.3% expands. ّNow as this is over 24 beams, that little 3.3% expands somewhat :). This is my (simple) thinking so far anyway.

This all changes if the core dmg bonus applies to pet damage of course.

More than happy with any help picking apart my thoughts here. Going to run some numbers later and see if i can get to an answer as to what edge carrier syngergy may be giving me... but as I've said... "happy so far" :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    OK... So... Here's my initial, back of a match box math for carrier synergy. Just a small sample of 4 runs through Beta Thoridor, 2 with eptw, 2 without. Powers and launches were spammed without finesse throughout all runs. SOP combats were performed... SAH! All numbers are for a single run.

Avg. beam damage from swarmers with eptw = 313944
    Avg. beam damage from swarmers without eptw = 286615

These totals are the sum of each beam dmg source's average shot dmg, multipled by average number of shots of the dmg source in a run.

Percentage bonus of eptw2 on constant cycle = 9.5%

Average total beam dmg from swarmers = 1042932
    Average total damage from Folly = 1254168

Potential dmg bonus from eptw with carrier synergy = 99445
    Potential dmg bonus from using EFWC with AMP(@9.9%) = 124163

As can be seen, these initial calculations show clear advantage to the EFWC. There are other considerations: i) The A->S bonus synergises very well with the Adv. Obby's tankie goodness, ii) The HUGE boost to maximum aux pow is unique (if I'm not mistaken, and I very well might be ;)); the speed of spawning with this beaut is tres shiny.

However, given the scale of advantage for the EFWC (approx. 25%), it is clear which is more advantageous from the dps perspective. With another system at >75 the advantage is hilarious :D. Thanks for inspiring the enquiry momaw.

Which raises a question. i have used both eptw1 and eptw2 on the Folly; both seem to give a 10s version of eptw1 to the swarmers. Is there any advantage to using 2 over 1? Have not tried 3 as I am science, but any reports of it's effects would be appreciated :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]