test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev PvP Request

antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvP Gameplay
A few months ago our friend Bort had a very interesting idea that he asked for some feedback on.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=566771

He seemed to be thinking that he could tweak some global variables in pvp maps to make the game a bit more balanced and improve pvp.

Now I now he got a lot of flak in that thread about ideas to play with hit points ect.

However if the tech is in the engine it would seem to me to be a way for them to reduce some of the impact of Rep / Items ect that have been making PvP pretty much a no go for a lot of people lately.

Could this tech not be used to either Disable or better yet curtail some items and rep rewards ect in PvP only.

I mean many of us would love to see things like the Tier 4 Romulan rep simply disabled in PvP... but at the very least would this tech not allow for say a doubling of the lockout time on that one in PvP maps only for instance.

In any event I hope someone at Cryptic can reconsider how to make this tech work so that we can have PvP back... because it does seem to be getting to a point where its either do something to fix it or just shut it off.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
Post edited by antoniosalieri on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Another way to look at this idea as well.....

Future items could be released with enhanced descriptions and abilities.

Imagine items that did for instance a ton of Repel in a pve situation but 1/4 as much in pvp and stated such in its description.

Many items and rep skills ect right now are almost useless in pve cause they are to weak... but are over powered in PvP... a dual function like this could allow them to release items that are super powerful in pve and are balanced in a pvp setting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    However if the tech is in the engine it would seem to me to be a way for them to reduce some of the impact of Rep / Items ect that have been making PvP pretty much a no go for a lot of people lately.

Could this tech not be used to either Disable or better yet curtail some items and rep rewards ect in PvP only.

If it could, would it benefit them to do so?

Bort was looking at pretty macro-view changes that wouldn't necessarily impact specific items or builds (or things cryptic sells, basically).

I know from other conversations the ideas of "pvp stats" for gear is basically a non-starter due to the level of work that would entail, as well as some players being disappointed - which is why I think he was looking at these much broader base character stats.

It would be nice for challenge matches at least, if the creator could simply click to disable specific things like "T4 ships or higher only", "T3 ships or lower only", "Rep powers off", etc.

I think it might be truly impossible however to account for literally everything.
  • Options
    magniacapramagniacapra Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why waste time making parallel strands and behaviours for items and abilities? PvE is so hilariously easy that any nerf to get things fixed for PvP would almost certainly improve balance in PvE.

The problem has more to do with the nature of free2play, thus it'll never be fixed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    While I agree pve is to easy.... I think we all know they will just keep releasing more things like the new rift ability that break pvp. That item could have easily been tuned... where it was perhaps even more useful in pve.... and useful but not a joke in pvp.

Just bringing the idea back up... pretty much every other MMO in the industry, including others by Cryptic themselves. Have tech like this where PvP is treated in a different manner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    magniacapramagniacapra Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Far too much work, will never happen, and half of that TRIBBLE has no effect in PvE anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Far too much work, will never happen, and half of that TRIBBLE has no effect in PvE anyway.

Exactly my point... if they had a PvP spec on a handful of things they could infact buff them to be useful in PvE... what if AMS for instance had a 10k range in PvE and remained the same in PvP.

Honestly its not as much work as you would assume. Bort had asked about it back in Feb as he realized the tech is already coded... this stuff already exists in Champs and NW... its already in the engine. Would just need him to implement things.

Its not no work... but we are not talking about an engine recode here the heavy lifting was already done by systems for Cryptics other Cryptic engine games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'm pretty sure they not only know this, but they actively count on it.