test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback Requested: Arc Download and STO Install via Arc

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited August 2014 in Controls and User Interface
Hi Captains,

Feel free to post feedback about your Arc download and STO install experiences here -- the Arc team will be watching this thread closely and looks forward to reading the feedback!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All current Arc users will soon be able to enjoy exclusive offers and giveaways

Just out of curiosity, is this like the raptr give away or are we talking more along the lines of bonus zen/c-store discounts? I know you cannot give details, I'm just looking more for a sense or angle of this comment.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is this like the raptr give away or are we talking more along the lines of bonus zen/c-store discounts? I know you cannot give details, I'm just looking more for a sense or angle of this comment.

More details will be provided to Arc users once they are available :) Also, let's also keep this thread for feedback about the download and install experiences. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've already installed ARC when it first came out and it has never read that I have STO already downloaded. It shows that I have Neverwinter but that's it. How do I fix this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maddwolfmaddwolf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    does this mean that STO will no longer be available to play/Download on STEAM???
  • spotter5spotter5 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If I download this, do I need to redownload STO? or can I link my existing install into Arc?
  • rorirori Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is there an ETA on when Arc will patch and launch STO/CO/NW/future Cryptic games directly?

When I tried Arc in May, it was just an extra resource hog that didn't make launching Cryptic games any easier. It's been uninstalled since then and unless it either auto-updates Cryptic games or has a button for it to start updates directly it's not likely to be reinstalled unless the regular launcher is disabled.

Also, there was a major problem with it not detecting Cryptic games when it was installed forcing a full reinstall of the games that took up extra space on my HDD. On the whole, Arc was no end of aggravation for little to no gain in my experience.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

Feel free to post feedback about your Arc download and STO install experiences here -- the Arc team will be watching this thread closely and looks forward to reading the feedback!
    Is there a link somewhere that tells me about this Arc thing that I might provide feedback? I didn't see a link in the OP?
    spotter5 wrote: »
    If I download this, do I need to redownload STO? or can I link my existing install into Arc?
    I wonder about this too. Please advise.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    spotter5 wrote: »
    Is there a link somewhere that tells me about this Arc thing that I might provide feedback? I didn't see a link in the OP?

I wonder about this too. Please advise.

No, It will detect your current STO/NW/Champs/etc games.
    edited July 2013
    So, Feedback:
    It's about what I'd expect from a Steam/Raptr Clone, but the ability to buy zen in the overlay looks nice. No money to test it with, though.

The biggest hurdle I think it will face is the fact that the Arc overlay overrides others, like TS3Overlay. Also, the developers need to make sure that the RAM footprint of Arc is as small as possible.

As a final thought, DO NOT make Arc a requirement. There will be people who don't use this type of program, don't force them.
  • rorirori Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No, It will detect your current STO/NW/Champs/etc games.

Ok...I have CO, STO, and NW installed in a directory other than the default directory. I just reinstalled Arc and it didn't detect ANY of them. So if you installed the games to their regular directories on the C: drive you should theoretically be fine. If like me you keep your games installed on a different drive, don't bother with Arc unless you feel like doing a fresh install. Even trying to change the download directory didn't force Arc to detect the games I have installed.
    edited July 2013
    rori wrote: »
    Ok...I have CO, STO, and NW installed in a directory other than the default directory. I just reinstalled Arc and it didn't detect ANY of them. So if you installed the games to their regular directories on the C: drive you should theoretically be fine. If like me you keep your games installed on a different drive, don't bother with Arc unless you feel like doing a fresh install. Even trying to change the download directory didn't force Arc to detect the games I have installed.

Ok, so it only detects the Default Directory. The developers are gonna have to add a dialog to let us point to our install directories.
  • idontcarenoforumidontcarenoforum Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, will this Arc Thing be mandatory? If yes.... well... f.... then i have to start the game via the exe. I hate all this launcher stuff. Steam, Origin, UPlay, now the Blizzard Launcher and this.... Great more thing to use up system resources...
  • distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

DO NOT WANT.

If this becomes a requirement, I will no longer play STO. I do not allow this sort of thing on my computer.
  • omicron007mdomicron007md Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have found that ARC launches my STO in less than 1/4 the time that Steam does. It seems much more efficient in that aspect. As a result I now use ARC to launch my STO.
  • kingpin1989kingpin1989 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Also, the developers need to make sure that the RAM footprint of Arc is as small as possible.

Right now the program itself uses 45 MB ram, with the Arc Browser taking up another 117 MB on my system. If the ingame browser could be disabled I dont see it becoming a huge problem.
    rori wrote: »

I was able to install Arc on the same drive my games are installed on and it detected them just fine after I restarted Arc.
    As a final thought, DO NOT make Arc a requirement. There will be people who don't use this type of program, don't force them.
    DO NOT WANT.

If this becomes a requirement, I will no longer play STO. I do not allow this sort of thing on my computer.

I also wouldn't like to see it become mandatory in order to play STO.

I do like that Arc immediately logs you in when it opens the STO launcher.
    KingPin
    11 August 2008
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm using Steam and I will be using Steam.

Have no interest whatsoever in this cheap knock-off.

Is this enough feedback?
  • cosmoscolacosmoscola Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I really, really liked how easy it was to install, and that it found STO by it self on my computer, and that I did not have to do anything. At first, I was a little afraid that it would be as slow and bad as Origin, but this is way better. When I logged in for the second time, it took me to present STO and it gives good options for both playing and buying ZEN, and more.

One confusing thing is that when I launched it the second time, my computer is asking for promission to run the installer. Thinking is was "beta" i agreed, and to my complete happiness, it did not install... just start up the program. Might wan?t to check that out, though.
    First impressions: VERY IMPRESSED!
    First bug: Program thinks that I want to install it again when I open it, but once it?s open, no problems so far.
  • cosmoscolacosmoscola Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cosmoscola wrote: »
    I really, really liked how easy it was to install, and that it found STO by it self on my computer, and that I did not have to do anything. At first, I was a little afraid that it would be as slow and bad as Origin, but this is way better. When I logged in for the second time, it took me to present STO and it gives good options for both playing and buying ZEN, and more.

One confusing thing is that when I launched it the second time, my computer is asking for promission to run the installer. Thinking is was "beta" i agreed, and to my complete happiness, it did not install... just start up the program. Might wan?t to check that out, though.
    First impressions: VERY IMPRESSED!
    First bug: Program thinks that I want to install it again when I open it, but once it?s open, no problems so far.

No, strike that. THIS IS FANTASTIC! And I can access the forums without it opening by browser. Ohhhhh....
    But an "check for game updates" button might be nice...
    Truly guys... Impressed!
  • gilineagilinea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My feedback on Arc: I do not have it, and do not want it. I realize that the purpose is to "encourage" people to try other PWE games. I'm already aware of them - I don't play them because I DO NOT LIKE THEM.

I tried Perfect World International once. After spending most of a day downloading it, I made one character and entered the starting area. After ten minutes of fighting with the UI (click to move, couldn't invert the mouse, etc) and watching the juvenile, profanity laden gibberish in Zone chat, I logged out and immediately uninstalled the game.

At this point, since Arc *IS* now required to re-install the game, if I have a system failure that would force a new install, I simply won't be re-installing the game. I have a LTS for both Champions and Star Trek Online. I've spent far more than I care to think about on C-Store ships in STO, and on costumes and character slots in both games. And my dislike for programs such as Arc is strong enough that I'd simply walk away rather than deal with it.

In short, I do not like ARC, do not want it, and don't see how it offers any possible benefit to me. I will probably quit being a customer entirely WHEN it becomes mandatory. I also completely expect it to become mandatory anyway, since the almighty metrics undoubtedly show that most people either don't care, or won't follow through on threats to quit.
  • a19spectrea19spectre Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, the install went smoothly. I hit launch, and it launched the old launcher:confused:, so as yet I see little use in this portion of the tool, but time will tell. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems.

The Arc overlay is interesting, but I cannot use the actual internet as yet. This would be handy for multi-tasking, as one of the biggest things I have to minimize the game for is searching the wiki for information.

Will our previously earned Achievements credit once development is finished, or are these completely new?

The Chat tool, will this be different from the in-game chat already in place?
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have Star Trek Online downloaded directly onto my desktop. And I'm running it through Steam on my laptop. I'm very happy with both arrangements thus far, and have no interest in Arc.

And do the community a favor. Don't force Arc on us all like Electronic Arts did with Origin (which had some serious privacy related issues). Things will much better in the long run, for the game, if you didn't.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay, just downloaded it. First impressions:

I was very happy with how quick it was to install, and it instantly detected my games (STO and CO). This may have been due to me installing Arc to the same drive as the above games, I don't know. However, given I have the option in-client to download new games to both drives, I don't see this being an issue.

The UI is very intuitive, and I like how when I open the client I can view other PWE games and get a brief sense of what they're about. I also like how the button to my game library above this page is large and very noticeable so I may instantly switch over to it and completely ignore the "Games" page.

Another feature I like is the ability to see what stage each PWE game is at (i.e. Closed Beta, Open Beta, Live, Patch, etc.) and the integrated news page in the library - one thing I find tedious is having to open the STO website every day to check for updates. This way, I can do it quickly with a 40% reduced headache.

Another thing I like is how when I close the window it informs me that the client is still running in the background and tells me how to actually end it completely should I wish to (this also reminded me how to turn off my Steam, so you've done me a favour there PWE. Don't think that makes me any more likely to download your games though :P).

Overall: Quite Impressed. This was not as complicated as Steam and responded much faster to changing pages.

I haven't tested it in-game yet and will report back tomorrow when I do.
  • robotkadavrobotkadav Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    the game client crashes every once in a while for some reason, so i keep the arc window around (don't even close it, maybe minimize it to the tray), and when i do bring it up (even if it wasn't minimized, just behind other windows), it takes around 15 seconds for the window to fully load (the newsfeed about the selected game comes up pretty much instantly, the game list and everything else however takes pretty long to restore itself into existence from the dark realms of also-existence-except-maybe-it-wasn't-being-shoved-into-my-face-constantly)
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I realize this may not be directly the sort of feedback you're after, and I don't mean to demoralize the people who have put work into developing ARC.

However, when Blizzard did their whole battle.net integration into everything; I walked away from the company as a whole and have not touched a single one of their products since. Please do not allow PWE to repeat that for STO - especially not with a program that provides an additional potential hurdle between the user and the game itself.

Optional? Choices are a good thing.
    Requirement? Will drive away more people than it will benefit.
  • claransaclaransa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My feedback appears below:

1. Never had a problem with the old launcher
    2. Not using some resource hogging front end, my system is low end enough already.
    3. sign me up for opting out of this and let me use the existing launcher
    4. If I can't play I can't pay :) leave well enough alone
    5. if you haven't figured it out yet, I don't like this new thing, I'm afraid of this new thing, why are you doing this to me :mad:
  • unionmasterunionmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Does not work on Windows 8 64bit :mad:
    But regular Cryptic launcher does
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay, so my feedback on Arc:
    -Not bad, but not that impressive either.
    -Allows forum, support, etc access in-game and without a second login requirement... but for some reason keeps opening my normal browser that does require a second login for links within the Arc launcher news.
    -Allows me to see news for more than one PWE game without cycling through each of their individual launchers. This is kind of a nice feature. Of course, I only play STO and Neverwinter, and haven't logged into Neverwinter for 26 days at this point... something about "Shocking Execution: The base damage of this power has been reduced by 60%." in the last gameplay and balance update looked a bit off-putting, though my Trickster Rogue hadn't unlocked it yet. Meh, STO is better anyway :P
    -Doesn't really provide any unique functionality. Simply adding the STO Forums and Support pages to your Favorites works almost as well... and really, the in-game support should have all of the features of the site anyway. It doesn't though... so I suppose Arc is kind of helpful in that respect.
    -The Achievements in-game tab just reminds us all that our Accolades are meaningless, and are not counted. Maybe a good exercise in humility?
    -Often seems to suffer from a display bug; it will remain in Arc overlay mode, but only show you the overlay where other interaction boxes exist on the screen. This is relatively recent however.
    -As mentioned by others in previous: No, do not make Arc a requirement.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    I realize this may not be directly the sort of feedback you're after, and I don't mean to demoralize the people who have put work into developing ARC.

However, when Blizzard did their whole battle.net integration into everything; I walked away from the company as a whole and have not touched a single one of their products since. Please do not allow PWE to repeat that for STO - especially not with a program that provides an additional potential hurdle between the user and the game itself.

Optional? Choices are a good thing.
    Requirement? Will drive away more people than it will benefit.

I'm pretty sure the Battle.net integration wasn't anywhere like this. Although they are doing a launcher now.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Soooooooo what happens if you already have steam?????? :confused: