test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stay in Fleet or Create a New One

fluffydoormanfluffydoorman Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Fleet System and Holdings
So I need some advice from all you wonderful STO players. Here's the situation. I'm in a fleet. Both my Fed and KDF toons are a part of it. And it's a great fleet. Small enough to enjoy, big enough to actually do things. Everyone is friendly and great and I honestly have no problems with any of it. I might not contribute as much as some, but I do whenever I can and I join in team missions whenever scheduling permits.

That said, my son has recently joined the game. He's 11 and loves it. In fact, he loves it so much he pretty much ignores all the bugs and issues that most of us complain about daily. He also wants to be in a fleet. This isn't an issue with the fleet I'm in cuz they've already said he's in if he wants. And he'd have fun with it.

But here's the problem. He really likes the idea of Daddy and him having their own fleet. He knows there's no way we'd ever get past tier 2 at the very most. We'd never have a Tier 5 base. And for us that's not an issue. He's really enthusiastic about this idea. Me personally, the only advantage I see is a Fleet bank that we'd be able to share and use how we saw fit.

So I'm torn. Stay in my fleet that already has things unlocked and is great. Or create a new one with just me and my son in it. There's advantages to both from what I see.

So anyone? Ideas? I really don't know which way to go.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blafiblafi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd make a new toon together with my boy and make a new fleet with that toon only.

Too bad mine's too young to do that. :(

moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    http://www.elitedefensestarfleet.com
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Completely agree... Create a new toon... level with him... team with him (if you have multiple computers)... and build the base with him.

In this instance, its the Journey that matters, not the destination.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • rachel1018rachel1018 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say the same with 1 addition, see if he has any interest in creating an alt as well and putting it in your existing fleet. This gives him the best of both, a place he shares with Dad alone as well as the experience of interacting with so many others online, and specifically people you trust.
  • bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    family first

make a new fleet

dont even bother with building up the starbase,

see if you can leverage some of our friends to borrow their starbase for the stores

really its cheaper (or even free and prices are dropping as more fleet tier up) to get a fleet map invite to use the stores than buy a base

for socialness, join some chat channels

maybe one day your son will see the advantage of being in a big fleet, or simply get bored with the game.

Most good fleets do not turn away active players, especially ones that are patient and willing to contribute, you will always find a good fleet to join

I'm saying all this as a fleet admiral; I would rather have a happy STO player than a less than maximum happy fleetmate.
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Man if you ever need a hand helping you create this fleet for you and your son count me in.. Im glad to help you to make your own fleet...

But ofcourse since its yours Id be leave after its made... lol

but yes need help contact moco here....
    6tviTDx.png

• fluffydoormanfluffydoorman Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hadn't thought of just putting a new toon into a fleet with him. For some odd reason I was stuck on an everything or nothing mentality. I really appreciate the advise from everyone. Now I'm off to create a new fleet.
  • camokittyxcamokittyx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi! My character name is Camo kitty X and I am a vice-admiral. I am 11 years old and would like to join the new fleet your son is starting. Please send me an in-game message if you would like me to join you. Thanks!
  • hagar3hagar3 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you are a younger player then please be careful about what personal information you post on public forums. Especially your age.

Just a friendly piece of advice.
    In case no one can hear you...scream