test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question about object placement

I've recently started creating a mission of my own, and everything was going rather well until I dropped a console into the map, only to discover that when I tested the map, the console was almost entirely underground.

I have it's location set to 0 on the Y scale (where Y is referring to the terrain height, supposedly), and I can see the top of the console sticking out of the ground, but I can't seem to be able to move it up so it is resting on the ground instead of being buried.

I've tried increasing the Y value, but whenever I do that, it resets the value to 0 as soon as I leave the box.

Anyone able to tell me how to fix this please?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by bortjinx on

Comments

• drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    Which map and which console are you using?

In the meantime, there's a couple things to try:

- Turn off "snap to grid" it's one of the three or so buttons on the top right of the map screen.

- Hit enter after you put a value into the Y box instead of clicking outside the box to exit.

- If you haven't already, try a small value, like 1. All of the maps have a ceiling that you can't go past. It's fairly low on interior maps for obvious reasons and quite high on ground maps.

For example I was trying to put something way up in the air on a ground map recently (I forget which one) and I was trying to put in 500 for the Y and it kept resetting to about 360. I kept banging my head against the wall until I realized it must be hitting the ceiling on the map and it must be lower on this map than a lot of others. So I changed it to 200 and it accepted it just fine.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sanp to grind is a pretty awful feature that defaults to "on" whenever you open the foundry. As soon as you open your first map you should make a habbit of turning it off.

Also, beneath the coordinates there is a dropdown menu that will allow you to set how the foundry determains your "Y" position (i.e. from 0 altitude, from terrain...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Sanp to grind is a pretty awful feature that defaults to "on" whenever you open the foundry.

It can be useful for quick wall placement, but I wish it was off by default so I could turn it on only when i wanted it.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed. And "snap to angle" which is right next to it. Both have uses, but I'd rather they were off by default.

Me, I usually click in x or z after changing y manually. Or vice versa. Whatever you do, do NOT click in the map immediately after manually typing in a new number.

Also, some maps have a surprisingly high 0 altitude. The Vulcan ground map is one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2013
    Yeah on Vulcan, 0 is at the top of the stairs.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Yeah on Vulcan, 0 is at the top of the stairs.

This is very good to know.
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    and if you're using the Odyssey Bridge, -5 gets you to the area below the main floor.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The battle of a foundry author is a battle against the Y, the evil demonic force that obeys its own logic. Turn snap to grid off... first thing to do when you launch the foundry. Then, maybe the battle with the dreaded Y can happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    - Hit enter after you put a value into the Y box instead of clicking outside the box to exit.

This suggestion worked. Who'd have thought it would be so simple, lol?

Thanks for all the ideas though, guys :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Well I ran into that same thing myself not too long ago, so I knew a possible solution. It seems like you didn't always have to do that. Like maybe it was a recent change, season 6 maybe. IDK, I have a terrible memory.