test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Excelsior 25 century refit?

masterkampmasterkamp Member Posts: 89 Arc User
Please Cryptic make a Excelsior refit skin of the 25 century!!
Post edited by masterkamp on

Comments

• jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    And while you're at it, some 2409 Odyssey-style skins for the following would be great too:
    • Prometheus
    • Dervish
    • DSSV
    • Cheyenne
    • Olympic

Seriously I'd pay $5 for a 2409 Prometheus skin.
  • hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2012
    The fleet excelsior in the vetran armor with the fleet windows looks rather updated at first glance. I run it with the old Excelsior engines as they dont look so dated.

I think the real issue is an updated Excelsior would look 90% like a downsized Odyssey.
    edited December 2012
    The fleet excelsior in the vetran armor with the fleet windows looks rather updated at first glance. I run it with the old Excelsior engines as they dont look so dated.

I think the real issue is an updated Excelsior would look 90% like a downsized Odyssey.

Not necessarily. It could look a little something like this.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Or this ;)

There are a number of ways they could tweak the Excelsior's look, along with the other ships
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'd go for a 2409 NX refit.
  • blacksheepleblacksheeple Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    "Fleet windows?"
    How they look?
  • zarathos1978zarathos1978 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dont know about that tripple deflector but I would like to see an excelsior III. Be cheeper for starfleet to build off existing spaceframes than design completely new ones anyway. And ii DS9 is any indication there are alot of excelsior II's around.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • masterkampmasterkamp Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited December 2012

i like this one. :cool:
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like that JJ design. Better than that 3 dish thing.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited December 2012
    The Excel's lines really benefit from the JJ-style makeover, I think. The Connie was too much of a series of soda cans glued together to come out of a streamlining looking anything less than awful. But the Excelsior's bathtub shape looks damn fine given a sharper, sleeker look. The only thing on my link I'd ask them to rethink is the bussard collectors; I think those would look better in a more true-to-source style rather than just kinda copying the JJ-collectors onto it.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The biggest problem with any type of redesign or modernization of the Excelsior is you really have to walk that fine line between preserving the original profiles as much as possible while still making it look more modern, otherwise it just morphs into a very generic star fleet vessel.

If you keep the same neck design, but for example made it shorter and more stretched out it would still be recognizable as the excelsior class neck. However if you change the "bath tub" (as people call it) shape of the secondary hull then it doesn't look like an excelsior anymore.

one thing that would really add a more modern look to the excelsior would be to keep the same neck design, but add in more of a sweeping backbone from the saucer, down the neck and ending at the secondary hull....think Ent-D.

I would go with more of an ENT-E style deflector dish which is still in keeping with how the excelsior one looks but of course change from yellow to blue.

Some type of hybrid between the ent-a and ent-e nacelles could really give it a retro modern look too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    Or this ;)

There are a number of ways they could tweak the Excelsior's look, along with the other ships

This ship needs to be in game...
    7NGGeUP.png

• hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2012
    Anyone remember the old studio test model for the Excelsior? I think you could make a modern version of it rather easily.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/excelsiorstudy4n2-photo.jpg
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Anyone remember the old studio test model for the Excelsior? I think you could make a modern version of it rather easily.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/excelsiorstudy4n2-photo.jpg

Cryptic should add that to the game since it was seen on screen twice. In Star Trek 3 and in TNG. Some argue this is the Apollo class and now the T'Pau ships.

While I'm not crazy of the JJ Prize, this look actually does look good with the Excelsior.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Please, No JJ-verse! Ugh!

If they did that, based on the JJ-verse scale, the Excelsior would be almost twice the size of the Odyssey!! Is that what you want?!!!! :eek: LOL.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • hitherowhitherow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No JJ-Verse ships please..

And the other one looked more like an Ambassador Class knock-off
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic Join Date: March 2010
    "We will not go quietly into the night" ~Independence Day
  • asteconnasteconn Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Just having an option for up-to-date looking nacelles would go a long way I think.

Personally though, unless they were /really/ nice, I am most happy with my Enterprise-B clone =3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • masterkampmasterkamp Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    asteconn wrote: »
    Just having an option for up-to-date looking nacelles would go a long way I think.

Personally though, unless they were /really/ nice, I am most happy with my Enterprise-B clone =3

Not only new nacelles. But also a new Hull plating paint job.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Or this ;)

I'd be OK with a Sov-celsior.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Or this ;)

None of those blue JJprise nacelles, please. Give that Exeter-styled nacelles with red bussard scoops and it would be perfect. I like the lines on that secondary hull.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)