test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 5 Dev Blog #41

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Lionheart wrote: »
    It certainly is not worth the vitriol that is being spewed in this thread.

It wouldn't be if they hadn't advertised this mission as a great, scary, Friday 13th Horror Event...
    If they just said "Hey here is a short mission, have fun!" nothing would have happend here... but dedicating a whole DevBlog for it, telling us it would be a great horror plot and all that and then delivering something that really just would have been worth a small footnote in another DevBlog is the real problem...

If they tell us that it would be a great Horror Mission in the likes of "What lies beneath" then I expect exactly that (I know it's foolish to do so but that does not mean they can go on with it).
    If they then in turn do not deliver what has been advertised then they absolutely deserve to be called out for it...

And to be honest I absolutely do not believe it was just the work that a Dev did in his/her free time...
    It would have been far better than a Quarter-of-a-Star worth mission if someone did it willingly in his free time, because he/she would have cared far more for it...
    edited April 2012
    While I didn´t find the mini-mission to be very horror-like, overall I thought it was nice. No one ever said this was going to be next step in mission design evolution. And I´d like to thank the Dev who made it in his/her FREETIME. :)
    edited April 2012
    SelorKiith wrote: »
    It wouldn't be if they hadn't advertised this mission as a great, scary, Friday 13th Horror Event...
    If they just said "Hey here is a short mission, have fun!" nothing would have happend here... but dedicating a whole DevBlog for it, telling us it would be a great horror plot and all that and then delivering something that really just would have been worth a small footnote in another DevBlog is the real problem...

If they tell us that it would be a great Horror Mission in the likes of "What lies beneath" then I expect exactly that (I know it's foolish to do so but that does not mean they can go on with it).
    If they then in turn do not deliver what has been advertised then they absolutely deserve to be called out for it...

And to be honest I absolutely do not believe it was just the work that a Dev did in his/her free time...
    It would have been far better than a Quarter-of-a-Star worth mission if someone did it willingly in his free time, because he/she would have cared far more for it...

Where did they say it would be a "great, scary..." mission? Perhaps in forum posts that I missed? I'm reading the dev blog, and they say nothing in regards to the quality of the mission. They said it would be creepy... and it was. It wasn't horrifying, nothing really scared you, but the atmosphere was fairly creepy -- which is subjective to begin with.

Additionally, there is no reason to believe they would lie -- there is no benefit in them doing so. I believe you are lying when you say that you "do not believe it was just the work that a Dev did in his/her free time..."

What I just said, makes absolutely no sense, it has no basis in reason nor logic, and it's a personal attack without reason. To be clear, I don't mean what I said. But I hope you realize, what I said, makes as much sense as what you said (in regards to DStahl lying). Cryptic (and DStahl) are not evil monsters attempting to trick you at every turn. DStahl is a very communicative, and seemingly quite passionate person. He's not done anything to deserve such an insult from you, and as such, I'd think carefully over exactly *why* you think he lied, and I'd ask myself if there's any really good reason to believe he was lying.

Also, you reason for believing the mission would be better if they did it willingly is very faulty. These people spend hours every single day working on STO, it's very understandable that he does not want to waste too much time doing something that gets him nothing in return. In fact, I feel bad for the poor fellow. He probably expected a nice thank you for the free Doff and the short mission that he took hours to create. Instead, we have people spewing vitriol, and calling people at Cryptic liars.

Thanks to people who've been rude about this whole situation, we probably won't see anything like it again.
    edited April 2012
    Ashur1 wrote:
    While I didn´t find the mini-mission to be very horror-like, overall I thought it was nice. No one ever said this was going to be next step in mission design evolution. And I´d like to thank the Dev who made it in his/her FREETIME. :)

Well this one is sort of soft-horror which is usually a friday 13th style. On halloween though I will expect some super failure of a romulan cell experimenting with green ooze, trilithium, and cloaking devices to make them glow green and scary and appear and reappear to scare the TRIBBLE out of people.
    edited April 2012
    Was "Hearts and Minds" created in the Foundry ?
    edited April 2012
    Ashur1 wrote:

Have to agree. I hope there will be more small missions that you can do in a few minutes.
    Something to do while you wait for your date to get ready,,,
    What am I saying...I'm a geek. We don't have dates:D
    edited April 2012
    After all, what you can imagine is sometimes more horrific than anything you can be shown.

I can only imagine what happens behind the doors at Cryptic...I can only imagine....
    I thought the transfer to PWE was going to bring a ton to the game?

So far it seems most of it has gone to the lockboxes.

Are these missions what we have to look forward to? :(

Seems like it..... :(
    edited April 2012
    Dear Cryptic,

I quite liked the new short mission. I am proud of you all for doing all this so far, and this may sound like nothing to you all? But at least you have 1 person to keep me entertained this weekend.

I also want to thank for you for the xmas special, the 5 mission 2800. So don't feel let down because I certainly enjoyed them. There are others here that want to echo my post as well:)

Thank you for this :) Keep up the good work.....I LOVE YOU ALL!;)
    edited April 2012
    it did actually creep me out that a vulcan of all people would clone himself multiple times then do very dubious experiments to said clones. hopefully Drake does not clean them all up i would love to have a clone os a BOFF =D. and that room filling with poisonious gas is pretty cool and had me rasing to bypass it came close but no cigar. for a mission one guy thrw together in his free time it is very well made and had some interesting new props namely the PADD's that i saw on the floor. I give kudos to this mission short but cool.
    edited April 2012
    I think a lot of the hate is because the mission is so meh at the same time as the lockbox thing.

If it had been released at a different time, I think more people would have liked it.
    edited April 2012
    Quite a nice and entertaining little story.

I liked it. I really appreciate the work that was done in someones own personal time. Thank you.
    edited April 2012
    I think a lot of the hate is because the mission is so meh at the same time as the lockbox thing.

If it had been released at a different time, I think more people would have liked it.

Agree. The mission was pretty good.
    If it wasn't for the box, it would get good rates from most players
    Good plot idea, fast to do and nice reward. So thumbs up from me
    edited April 2012
    I liked the mission, it was short but entertaining and the special doff was a great reward.

This is how you win over happy customers, not with lotteries.
    edited April 2012
    I liked the mission, but I'm not sure if there was some sort of special accolade you could get by solving the Logic Puzzle in the first part before getting incapacitated, instead of just shooting the console, like I did multiple times in anger. :P
    edited April 2012
    I thought it was just ok but perhaps because it was over-hyped and I was expecting too much. I like the DoFF though and free is always a good thing.
    edited April 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray
    edited April 2012
    SelorKiith wrote: »
    What?
    Did you play a different mission than me?
    ---EDITED FOR SPACE---

Yes I did play the same mission, but try replaying it as an episode of a show, rather then a mission in an MMO. It really has that "Twilight Zone" plotline to it (clones turning on their creator and all)

I'll agree that the clone surprise could have been done in a more shocking way (like having them in a dark room that you have to fix a device, only to discover that your in a room full of clones when the lights come on)

Even without that, I still thought it was a good little episode.
    edited April 2012
    I enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time to create it.
    edited April 2012
    dstahl wrote: »
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

thumbs up, for that small but mighty mission!! :)
    edited April 2012
    Ok, since people seem intent on either flaming or white-knighting Cryptic, I am forced to play the evil mastermind again and explain what is wrong with this game. I will present my conclusions and evidence in a rational manner so as to present as objective a point as possible. In return, listen to what I'm saying, and this goes for players and Cryptic. Also, I will completely ignore anyone who decides to flame either way or just picks the thing apart to deal with small parts at a time, it's just picking something apart and avoiding the big picture, and as such is a flawed method of debate.

With all that out of the way, let's begin.

Now, many of the white knights claim that because some guy did this in his off-time, we should be more forgiving. Now, while this mission does indeed not have the studio dedication available to official missions, I must point out, that this is no different from a Foundry mission, except for a few points:

1. The creator has obviously superior tools at their disposal, new sound assets and the presence of cutscenes are evidence of this.

2. The creator has more experience with the inner workings of STO's engine, they know it's limitations and loopholes to bypass them. So the creator can pull off tricks we consumers cant.

3. The creator has the backing of Cryptic, this is evidenced by voice acting, not to mention the quite obvious hype that was surrounding it, the creator could have asked for more help from any of the Cryptic staff within their spare time, because of their efforts at hyping the mission, it is obvious that they were interested in the idea and I'm sure that the creator could have asked for inpiut to help flesh out or even extend the mission.

To quantify something as objective as a story based mission, we need a mark to compare it to, so lets compare it to what it essentially is, a fan made mission. You see many fans make large complex missions, some of which have spanned over many different missions. With these long missions, you will usually find deep, complex storylines interwoven in them.

The simple fact is, from that standpoint, Hearts and Minds doesnt stand up so well, we knew it was gonna be short, and that is fine, length is not part of the equation, but it felt drastically simple, to the point where it begun to seem almost mundane in it's simplicity.

Now, the main point of contention, Hearts and Minds was marketed as being a creepy level, its been said many times that it's designed to make you scared of what comes next (or indeed, what doesnt come next). However, as is apparent by the feedback from the ones who did not like the mission, and indeed, the admissions from people who did, the creepiness we were promised just...didn't happen. At no point did I feel uneasy in any real capacity while playing, and I felt some excellent opportunities were missed, especially since the dimness that the creaotr tried to make could have been ramped up to true darkness, like in What Lies Beneath, to make it more unnerving.

In short, I do not beleive because the mission is a Dev's personal project, it should be judged by any different criteria then if I made a mission, Cryptic didnt even need to add it on Friday the 13th (and before someone asks, the horror connotation is probably from the movies), They could have held back and made it more of the atmospheric horror we were lead to believe we were getting, releasing it on a different day and it would have been fine.
    edited April 2012
    Blacksabre wrote:
    Also, I will completely ignore anyone who decides to flame either way or just picks the thing apart to deal with small parts at a time, it's just picking something apart and avoiding the big picture, and as such is a flawed method of debate.

Yeah, because when they deal with each small part and reply to each point you make you have to deal with that pesky business of getting past the rhetoric. It's why politicians don't like to do interviews, they make speeches - so it's more difficult to call them on the absurd points they make when no one questions them individually.

I'll play the game, though. Since you so clearly laid out what you believe is wrong with the game, I'll explain another way of looking at it.

The thing that is wrong with these forums (and most MMO forums, to be honest) is that you have people who can't just enjoy what is there, so they sit and pick apart everything and insist that they know what's best and that none of their expectations are being met. Yet...those people continue to subscribe, continue to play. They don't see the irony of going on for months, or even years, about how awful everything is in a VIDEO GAME, yet continue to play/participate/spend their time on the forums for a game they do not seem to actually enjoy very much - if at all.

This mission was hardly "hyped". People are talking like there were a dozen press releases, that they have been promising this big Friday the 13th extravaganza for six months or a year, that it was the bestest thing ever and whoa it was going to literally blow your socks off.

That's not what happened.

It was a neat little thing. Every argument "against" it, is absurd. If you don't like it, OK, move on. Go to what you do enjoy. But, that's the thing - it seems like some people don't enjoy anything. The very fact you started by saying, "This is what is wrong with the game..." and really used it as entry to vent your overall frustration speaks volumes.

What makes me the most sad is that it honestly seems like it would have been better by some posters of the forum to not have done anything at all. So the enjoyment that those of us who did like it are irrelevant, because a few dozen disgruntled players weren't satisfied. I mean, cripes, people sitting and debating the meaning of "creepy"?

It was a creative little way to deliver a nice reward. I guess they could have just made it a "log in, instant accolade", but then...people would have complained. If it had been an hour long mission, people would have complained that they only had one day to do it, and then how could they do it on all their alts (even though they dislike the game, they usually play multiple alts - another "huh?" incongruity).

I have never seen a Dev team go as above and beyond as this one, doing things in their spare time just to give a little treat when they can. It tells me a lot of these people have never played another MMO and don't realize how well they have it here. But in the end - if the game is so consistently disappointing to some, I can't help but feel sorry for them that they continue to spend their leisure time doing something that they don't seem to particularly like. It's honestly the most confounding aspect of MMO's to me. When I don't like something, or I am consistently disappointed with a company - I change the situation. I stop doing it, or I stop dealing with that company. It seems there are always some who cannot do that.

Addiction is a strange, sad thing.
    edited April 2012
    What annoys me the most, is the mission is only available for a couple of days then it's gone. It really annoys me like with limited rewards as if you miss it you can't get it again. If you're going to put the time, effort and money into developing the mission and rewards, then leave it up for the long-term, not do this limited run jokes of a mission. Cryptic you really need to get your act together, having limited run isn't going to make people play the game more, if they can't get on, then doing something like this isn't going to make them get on if they can't. Plus it just means no more full-time content and you might in the long-term loose players thinking of going gold.

I've already decided not to buy anymore c-points or go gold until the company pick it's act up. I'd rather go buy a gold account with a different mmo and stick to free for STO
    edited April 2012
    Azurian wrote: »
    But I really like the new soundtrack that was added.
    Awesome! This is the one and only thing in the thread so far that makes me want to go play this RIGHT NOW. :D
    Looking forward to any and all new music in the game.
    edited April 2012
    Blacksabre wrote:
    Ok, since people seem intent on either flaming or white-knighting Cryptic, I am forced to play the evil mastermind again and explain what is wrong with this game. I will present my conclusions and evidence in a rational manner so as to present as objective a point as possible. In return, listen to what I'm saying, and this goes for players and Cryptic. Also, I will completely ignore anyone who decides to flame either way or just picks the thing apart to deal with small parts at a time, it's just picking something apart and avoiding the big picture, and as such is a flawed method of debate.

With all that out of the way, let's begin.

Now, many of the white knights claim that because some guy did this in his off-time, we should be more forgiving. Now, while this mission does indeed not have the studio dedication available to official missions, I must point out, that this is no different from a Foundry mission, except for a few points:

1. The creator has obviously superior tools at their disposal, new sound assets and the presence of cutscenes are evidence of this.

2. The creator has more experience with the inner workings of STO's engine, they know it's limitations and loopholes to bypass them. So the creator can pull off tricks we consumers cant.

3. The creator has the backing of Cryptic, this is evidenced by voice acting, not to mention the quite obvious hype that was surrounding it, the creator could have asked for more help from any of the Cryptic staff within their spare time, because of their efforts at hyping the mission, it is obvious that they were interested in the idea and I'm sure that the creator could have asked for inpiut to help flesh out or even extend the mission.

To quantify something as objective as a story based mission, we need a mark to compare it to, so lets compare it to what it essentially is, a fan made mission. You see many fans make large complex missions, some of which have spanned over many different missions. With these long missions, you will usually find deep, complex storylines interwoven in them.

The simple fact is, from that standpoint, Hearts and Minds doesnt stand up so well, we knew it was gonna be short, and that is fine, length is not part of the equation, but it felt drastically simple, to the point where it begun to seem almost mundane in it's simplicity.

Now, the main point of contention, Hearts and Minds was marketed as being a creepy level, its been said many times that it's designed to make you scared of what comes next (or indeed, what doesnt come next). However, as is apparent by the feedback from the ones who did not like the mission, and indeed, the admissions from people who did, the creepiness we were promised just...didn't happen. At no point did I feel uneasy in any real capacity while playing, and I felt some excellent opportunities were missed, especially since the dimness that the creaotr tried to make could have been ramped up to true darkness, like in What Lies Beneath, to make it more unnerving.

In short, I do not beleive because the mission is a Dev's personal project, it should be judged by any different criteria then if I made a mission, Cryptic didnt even need to add it on Friday the 13th (and before someone asks, the horror connotation is probably from the movies), They could have held back and made it more of the atmospheric horror we were lead to believe we were getting, releasing it on a different day and it would have been fine.

I found this to be actually quite refreshing compared to most forum posts. It's not often that you see well thought out constructive posts such as this one. Keep it up my friend.
    edited April 2012
    I welcome little distractions like this. Thing is, same people would have been crying if it had been too long, because they want to do it on all their toons in one day. Some people will never be satisfied.

I didn't mind the mission at all, although I wish the resolution at the end had been a little more satisfying than pew, pew all the clones are dead and... SCENE! One last console with a log entry to conclusively wrap up the story would have made it a little more complete, and could even have hinted at something like "I don't know how many of my clones might have escaped and are out there in the galaxy..." would have tied it into the DOff a little more.

If they put out a short little mission like this every week or two, with a couple of nifty little rewards, I wouldn't mind at all. I actually don't mind doing stuff like rescuing Sh'mar, or repairing satellites, or defending the Ferengi fuel depot and if there were a variety of them that expanded in selection periodically, it would make the wait for bigger stuff easier to take.

Sadly, I think the person who created this in their spare time might be disinclined to do so again given the irrational and unfair negative backlash.

Thank you, mystery person who did this in your spare time. I'll be happy to play any other 5-10 minute mini-missions you'd like to add if you feel so inclined. Just make them permanent additions in future. ;)
    edited April 2012
    I was really looking forward to this episode with the whole horror connotation and being Friday the 13th and all but was horribly horribly disappointed in it. The scenery was great, the idea was great, but over all it seemed like just a lot of wasted potential. The reward wasn't even that great plus didn't make much sense.

SPOILER
    Honestly why would i want a crazy clone with a life threatening disease of a crazy scientist with a life threatening disease? It's nice getting a rare Doff, but that's still a little awkward, no?
    END SPOILER

As for the writing of it, it just wasn't very engaging. I don't know if this was a side project of a single Dev (if it is i DO appreciate the effort and time) but over all it was a waste of great potential. It had no real horror elements and was over all disappointing. I would love if they expanded on this and made it more of a full episode though since again, there WAS a lot of unused potential.

On the plus side it was ridiculously short so it wasn't too bad to take my alts through.
    edited April 2012
    Brackynews wrote: »
    Awesome! This is the one and only thing in the thread so far that makes me want to go play this RIGHT NOW. :D
    Looking forward to any and all new music in the game.

I think that music's already in the game...I've heard it numerous times during the Trealus Satellite Repair daily.
    edited April 2012
    The way so many people freak out over a video game is just sad. If you don't like it, don't pay for it! Simple as that.

Yes, although one of the issues with this normally logical way of thinking is the sheer volume of people that put their money on the table up front. (And a fairly large amount of money too.) They did this expecting something that they, somehow, don't feel has been fulfilled after two years and god knows how many hours of their lives invested, playing "half a game" and voicing their concerns about it.

Yeah, I don't get it either, yet here we are. :rolleyes:
    edited April 2012
    Honestly why would i want a crazy clone with a life threatening disease of a crazy scientist with a life threatening disease?

Bendii syndrome only affects Vulcans over 200 years of age, so you'll be long-dead before it becomes a problem for that DOff. Heck, it's been 2409 for over 2 years now.
    edited April 2012
    I believe part of the frustration, stems from the seemingly overuse of the "lockboxes", as well as producing mission content that can be either hit or miss. The latest FE arc had it's share of both great moments, and bad moments. I'd say if I had to rank the series according to the past 3 FE arcs, i'd probably position "The 2800" as 2nd. The Romulan FE last year were most definitely the best overall mission arc.

Thing is, the Friday the 13th episode seemed to be building up towards something "interesting", and then... suddenly nothing. Mission over, here's your reward. I suppose I was a bit disappointed, since I rather enjoyed the Halloween-themed episode 'What Lies Beneath'.

It would be most appreciated if more "items" and "ships" would be produced that can be placed in the actual ship requisitions store, and purchasable for Dilithium. Past several months, we've seen 3 different ships via "grab bags"; D'Kora Class, Jem Hadar Fighter, and Cardassian Galor. In that same time, 2 ships were released to C-Store; Odyssey, and Bortas (although you guys might consider these to be 6 ships, they utilize only TWO models).

Pre-F2P, you had several of the "default" ships available for simple credits. Post-F2P, all of those ships that once sold for credits, converted to the Dilithium standard that Cryptic seems to favor these days. STO is "crying out" for additional Credit Sinks, so I quite frankly don't understand the decision to remove the "credit option" from buying ships.

I have to bring this post up again because this is what I want most from the game right now. Presently I'm at a point in my fleet where I want to branch out but there's still a few key items I want to save my dilithium/real money for which prevents me from experimenting with, say, a high-class science vessel for a tac-officer character. This cuts off a signfiicant part of how I approach the game which would do wonders for replayability if cryptic expanded on our ships with some more accessible content. They don't have to be dreadnaughts, but something like an Ambassador or New Orleans class vessel would make a great "economy" cruiser/sience ship (respectively) for those who want to try a different playstyles at a price where they can justify TRIBBLE around.