test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Known issues and some workarounds (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING)

13»

Comments

• shinkojiro00shinkojiro00 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The thing about the DX11 model error that delta rising introduced is its not just something that will merely drive you crazy because the characters will look funny, this problem will make your video card stop responding and your game will constantly crash or your screen will lock up and blackscreen on you from the loss of video card response.

So its really not an option to switch to DX9 until its fixed.
  • aylanoraylanor Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What about Mac users? There is no Dx9. How do they fix the problem?
  • phoenix1945phoenix1945 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am having exacty the same problem. I am playing the game with dx9 on an old machine with low settings ( Radeon X1550 64-bit with driver 8.56.1-081104a-071877E-ATI
    , 3gig ram and intel dual prcessor 2,49 %25 overclocked)

it was working fine until delta expansion install.

Please help!

HellOOooo, anyone there? Gee its quiet in here.
  • luciuspaislyluciuspaisly Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HellOOooo, anyone there? Gee its quiet in here.

I guess this just isn't that high a priority for them, or there are so many bugs that need fixing it's been overlooked...
  • draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have exactly the same problem. After 1-5 minutes, on any graphics setting, my screen blacks out entirely. Then my graphics card struggles to bring up the image, with some apparent lag in FPS.

Text:
    Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Sub-text:
    Display driver Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 7(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I am currently running a Gateway, NV79C with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M380 @2.53GHz, 4 GB RAM (3.68 usable), 64-bit operating system.

I was never able to play on best graphics without some processor lag. However, a step down on the simple menu graphics setting allowed my machine the best performance with graphics. Now, it does not matter what I play, the BSOD (Black Screen of Death) will cause my machine to crash 2-3 times before locking my machine up. The only solution is to do a hard reset.

I have the exact same issue.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 940 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    Memory: 12278MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

I can play for a short time and then my monitor goes into sleep mode and only way to fix it is to hard boot the machine. I also play CO, NW, and a few games on Steam. Only game I have an issue with is STO. And this has happened with DR.

As a note I also get the frame rate issue in some missions.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Few things to try. .

Turn off shadows
    Turn it on auto dx
    Use it in maximised window mode

Update all drivers
    Force verify files

Had simular issues but this is my work around and fingers crossed it has worked.
    JtaDmwW.png
    edited October 2014
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Few things to try. .

Turn off shadows
    Turn it on auto dx
    Use it in maximised window mode

Update all drivers
    Force verify files

Had simular issues but this is my work around and fingers crossed it has worked.

Wait... you force verify just the one time, right? Because that's a lot of files...
  • blackmail67blackmail67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    IS there any way to change out of DX11 to DX9 without going into the game? I cant get the game to launch anymore

Intel I5
    Intel 3000

Ran fine before the update.
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    aylanor wrote: »
    What about Mac users? There is no Dx9. How do they fix the problem?

I'm not entirely sure how Transgaming handles DirectX calls on the Mac, but it's fairly likely they translate them to OpenGL; I don't think Apple allows a lot of direct access to the GPU drivers on the Mac, both for stability reasons, and also due to the fact that Apple uses a variety of GPUs in various products. Also, I don't think the Mac's GPU drivers are necessarily similar to the equivalent vendors' drivers on the PC, since the upper side of the driver interface is different (DirectX-friendly vs. OpenGL-friendly).

Mapping DirectX to OpenGL would very likely produce very different problems from the native PC experience, since DirectX and OpenGL aren't directly comparable in architecture or implementation mechanisms, and shortcuts to the GPU drivers can't be used easily. Thus a lot of timing and memory-related problems may not happen on the Mac, while other issues are likely to only appear there. (For one thing, there's almost certainly a performance hit.)

--- update ---

It appears that Transgaming only supports DirectX 9, so that's what we Mac users must be seeing in STO. There's no game setting for DX11 for us, that I can find.
    edited October 2014
    So, almost a week later and you're just going to leave us in the dust?

If I wanted this kind of treatment, I'd go back to playing Need For Speed World...
  • draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, almost a week later and you're just going to leave us in the dust?

If I wanted this kind of treatment, I'd go back to playing Need For Speed World...

I tried what was mentioned in this thread. I still can't play for very long without my computer going into power save mode.

I play a number of games, I only have this issue playing STO, and only since DR launched. I can log in and doff, which I've been doing.

But I am starting to wonder why I bother. I am not in a position to buy a new computer, and if they don't fix this issue, then I am just going to have to give up on STO.
  • iantimmy123iantimmy123 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm getting a very weird issue when using the Mac client on my 2013 Macbook Air.

Sometimes when I transfer map, the area graphics don't update even though I'm clearly in the new area. For instance, when beaming down to a starbase, I can still only see space, even though I can hear the Starbase and all of the icons are ground mode. This takes about 2 minutes to become correct but very often I have died because I don't know what is going on. Any fixes or is this a common problem?
  • douurdendouurden Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The mission "Mine Enemy" crashes after the hidden door puzzle, just as you walk up to the lab. With all the random posts clogging the forum, I can't find the appropriate thread and the search is of no help. So, I'll just leave this here and hope it can be sorted out so I can actually do something in the game other than text based assignments. I'm not sure how to take a screenshot of a crash....
  • twitchyscootalootwitchyscootaloo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hello... I can't post this to a separate thread yet because of the registration date thingey, but...
    I've been trying to get two of my friends to play Star Trek Online together with me, however, they cannot do so because when they try to create their character they simply get no interface in the "Appearance" tab of character creator. One of my friends has been poking the support from his account, though neither him nor I think anything would eventually work out... Has anyone seen issue like this before?
    Steps tried with guidance from support:
    - Disable on-demand patching, force verify, download around 4 GBs of whatever.
    - Delete gameprefs file to reset settings
    Last suggestion was to do the safe mode start. Haven't tried it yet, though.
    Here's the screenshot.
    Also, when both of my friends changed the graphics settings on their game it simply "hung up" on the title screen, refusing to load and stopping to respond. Their systems are very capable of handling the game from hardware standpoint, so I can't see why it would do that.
    Screenshot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm pretty much having a similar problem. The game was working fine until the server maintainance on Dec 23, and now I'm getting hung up at the Delta Rising load screen and instead of the character selection screen, the screen is just blank/black. I can see my cursor and hear music, but no visuals.
  • emoworfemoworf Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So I'm back from a break of like 6 or 8 months and as soon as I get to the character select screen the graphics go all weird. They go fuzzy/blocky and flicker and are black and white in some areas and rainbow-like in other areas. I can make out the basic shapes of things on the screen like buttons, but I can't read what the buttons say or even see my character, only an outline. I can hear music and see my cursor just fine but everything else is messed up. Unfortunately I can't post a screenshot because I don't know how to take one in STO. Nothing has changed about my computer in the last year or so. Please help, thanks!

Edit: I don't have this issue with any of the other games I play like Lord of the Rings Online or Everquest.

Edit 2: I don't have an AMD graphics card, as stated towards the beginning of this thread, though the problem sounds very similar to the one I'm having. I have an Nvidia graphics card.

So I tried re-installing STO, which didn't work. I then tried rolling back my Nvidia graphics driver as suggested for the AMD problem and that worked, oddly enough, even though it's a different driver and even though that fix is nearly 3 years old and I didn't have any problems 6 months ago.

Now however, I'm having this problem:
    sov42 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much having a similar problem. The game was working fine until the server maintainance on Dec 23, and now I'm getting hung up at the Delta Rising load screen and instead of the character selection screen, the screen is just blank/black. I can see my cursor and hear music, but no visuals.

I even hit enter to see if I could bypass the blank screen (probably the character select screen would be my guess) and heard someone speaking a moment after pressing enter. So I saw the Delta Rising screen just fine after rolling back my driver, then nothing but a black screen with a mouse cursor and music/voices, even after the character select screen.

Final edit: I managed to fix the problem by taking the following steps:

1. Roll back the graphics driver
    2. Run the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3
    3. Force verify
    4. Run in Safe Mode

If you don't know how to do the last 2 steps, simply run the launcher right up to the point where you can click the "ENGAGE" button but instead of clicking that, look in the upper right corner for the options button. You'll find check boxes in there for force verify and safe mode. Note that force verify will take several minutes as it has to check about 10 GB of patches. I'm not entirely sure if all 4 steps above are necessary, but those are the steps I took. Hopefully this will help anyone else with a similar issue.
  • alusionalusion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I Have Black and White Texture issus with DX11 on my AMD graficcard i have the driver 14.12 (Omega Driver)
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I also have amd 14.12 issues with this game. I went threw all 84 of my installed games to see if this problem could be recreated. It could not. Only STO.
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Closing this super old thread as the reason no responses have been given to the recent posts = this necro thread is not a great place to post your questions.

In the future if you have a problem or issue that you would like some help with, it is best to find another thread in the bug report forum that this is in, and reply there, or create a new thread about this issue so our QA team can see it properly and know that it is not a necro thread.

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk
This discussion has been closed.