test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Technology or Concepts that you would like other MMO developers to use

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Think of anything you like in Startrek Online, Champions Online, the forums or anything surrounding Cryptic and its various services, technologies et al that you like and miss in other games.

I have started playing TOR recently, and there are two things that I already miss:

1) Cryptic's "Shard" system.
I vastly prefer this method over the many servers other games use. I don't want to be tied down to a single server. I don't know if people I want to play with will end up on the same server or not (especially if I only get to know them when I meet tham later).
Now, people may say that "One-Server-To-Rule-Them-All" leads to heavy instancing, but I don't see the problem. Even on these Servers, instancing can be needed if the population is too large.

2) Account and Character Manamagent
I really like the [CHARACTER_NAME]@[ACCOUNT_NAME] concept. It avoids name collision between players and ultimately gives you a lot more freedom in your name. Sure, you have that problem with your account name, but that name is not as important for immersion and verisimilitude than your character's name.

3) The Foundry
It's not perfect, but I wish more games had a feature like this (and at least with the range of options that Cryptic provides, even though I would like to see more).

4) Character Custimization
Cryptic really has a wide range of options and TOR is definitely lacking in that regard. I also ultimately prefer if items do not have to determine your looks. (I found Age of Conan also had an interesting approach to that, giving you two paper dolls - one to determine your character'S bonuses and all, and one to determine your looks. So "collecting" items for more visual options was possible, without forcing you into builds and bonuses you don't care about. But I think the CO or STO level of freedom is more interesting.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Compared to TOR, I'll agree with you on points 1, 2, and 4. Can't say I'm too bothered about the Foundry, although I probably would be if I had figured out how to use it properly.

The big part of STO I'd like to see in TOR though, and the part that may tempt me to get that game, is space combat. If TOR imported STO's space combat, then that would be a brilliant game.
    edited December 2011
    I vastly prefer this method over the many servers other games use. I don't want to be tied down to a single server. I don't know if people I want to play with will end up on the same server or not (especially if I only get to know them when I meet tham later).
    Now, people may say that "One-Server-To-Rule-Them-All" leads to heavy instancing, but I don't see the problem. Even on these Servers, instancing can be needed if the population is too large.

I agree with all points but I really have to say the "Shard" system has horrible bugs/oversights. Namely group members ending up in different shards after map transfers or trying to get everyone to the same shard when they are all close to full.
    edited December 2011
    The Shard system, In a way it works nicely in heavily populated areas, but the game also is too instanced and hurts the social interaction as well. But I really like how everyone is on one server.

The Account System, I agree it's nice having the name of the character you want and not having it stolen and you have to go with alternate names you wasn't fond with.

The Foundry, in a way this is the tarnished crown jewel that Cryptic really should shine up. Can't see TOR or any other competitors really making use of such a system.

Character Customization, I agree it's far superior. This is one of the things that is a big negative with TOR, with the lack of the ability to customize our characters and our Bridge Officers. Though the art team needs to continue expanding this as much as they can. Especially with the Alien generator in adding more alien features like snouts, beaks, tails, real clawed feet and hands, etc.
    edited December 2011
    I guess I shouldn't have listed all the interesting tech in the first post? ;)
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all points but I really have to say the "Shard" system has horrible bugs/oversights. Namely group members ending up in different shards after map transfers or trying to get everyone to the same shard when they are all close to full.

This is a problem with instancing, not the shard system. If the caps per instance were higher you wouldn't notice this at all.

I will say the limit, even in social zones, is too low for this to give the Ironforge feel which I think most people who are anti-shard really want.
    edited December 2011
    This is a problem with instancing, not the shard system. If the caps per instance were higher you wouldn't notice this at all.

You would if you were trying to get a group quest done in Storm Peaks or whatever the big daily quest hub in WoW is this expansion. Those places get crowded on normal servers - even if you allow the instance cap to allow ten times the typical single-server traffic (at which point you'll already have crowds standing around a zone full of dead bodies waiting for quest mobs to respawn - single server traffic already overwhelms mob and resource node spawns), you're talking about a hundred plus instances creating a barrier between groups.

The system works in STO because missions are private solo/group instances and not open world affairs. A similar system worked in Anarchy Online for the same reason - the overworld was dead, most activity was in solo/group instanced missions.
    edited December 2011

I will say the limit, even in social zones, is too low for this to give the Ironforge feel which I think most people who are anti-shard really want.

Increasing caps won't stop splitting people up. It's a fault in the system. If you are grouped and enter a zone with only one space left then open up a new instance.

Also has any of you tried to get into a red alert with a group?
    edited December 2011
    I have started playing TOR recently, and there are two things that I already miss:

2) Account and Character Manamagent

3) The Foundry

4) Character Custimization
    I agree. I do wish other MMOs would use these features. However, it can be argued that features one and two are counterproductive to immersion in MMO's because the lack of these features artificially focuses you on the character you (and others) are playing at the moment.

Having UGC systems in any MMO is a difficult task at best so while appreciated, feature number three should probably be built into the game from the start but exposed to the players much later in the game so as to not detract and distract.

Feature number four is hands down the best feature Cryptic offers. It is however the one feature I actually miss the least while playing SWTOR. Perhaps its the awesome roleplaying I can do within my quests that makes me forget I'm not a unique snowflake like everybody else... ;)

I would like to say that Cryptic does pretty darn good Pet controls systems. Especially in the Mastermind class in City of Villains, but also not too lacking in STO. I wish for example SWTOR would let me position my Companions strategically before battle commences, something that Cryptic does well.

I think however that the most important features that I'd like other MMO's to have that Cryptic has are Sidekicking (where players can match their level with a team-mate, going up or down) and the ability to bind to character in a pact where they share XP gains so that playing together you gain normal XP but playing separately you gain only half XP (a feature from CoH/V) and the ability to complete suppress XP (again, iirc a feature from CoH/V).

Sadly though, Cryptic still has a lot to learn about offering immersive roleplaying worlds. ;)
    edited December 2011
    There are several concepts that I like about STO that i have woven into the follow short narrative for TOR.

Random Sith Lord: Go to the Hoth system and destroy all of my enemies.

You: Gladly my lord. I will contact you when the deed is done.

Random Sith Lord: No, my young apprentice, return here when your done and I will give you a new task.

You: Can't i just contact you from my ship?

Random Sith Lord: No, return to me so that you can see me in my expensive cut scene glory. And while your at it I will give you a bonus if you kill 15 jedi.

You: 15? What if I can only kill 13 or 14?

Random Sith Lord: That is unacceptable. 15 or no dice.

You: What if there are only 14 Jedi on the entire planet?

Random Sith Lord: They will respawn on after a while. Its why we never win. And watch out for other Sith. If they hit a jedi first they take the glory.

You: Even if i do most of the work?

Random Sith Lord: Yes.

You: Can i team with them and work together. I know a guy who could help.

Random Sith Lord: Is he stuck in a queue on another server?

You: Well....yes but-

Random Sith Lord: No Dice!

You: *Sigh* Ok, you're the boss.

You run to your ship, and fly to hoth, and find and destroy your enemies, you return to to the spaceport and then return to your master.

You: I have done as you requested my lord.

Random Sith Lord: Good, good. Now go to the Hoth system and track down this traitor. Return to me once you are done.

You: You son of a Wookie, I was just there. Can I at least have a speeder, make the running around a little easier?

Random Sith Lord: What level are you?

You: 23.

Random Sith Lord: NO DICE!

You: We'll at least I can take my ship and go hunt down some rebel scum in the mean time.

Random Sith Lord: Yeah about that......
    edited December 2011
    "You son of a Wookie"

HAAAHHhahaha! Thanx for the laugh.