Thoughts on sage/demon in current game state

Options
Chelestine - Heavens Tear
Chelestine - Heavens Tear Posts: 193 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Psychic
Hi all,

I know the topic of demon/sage and which path to choose is an eternal one for any class, but I've had a quick look around the psychic sub-forum, and any threads regarding the matter feel outdated with all the recent changes and additions that's taken place. I just wanted to get an updated, general view on people's opinion and check if sage is still the overall hands-down favourite as it's always seemed to be, or if anything recently changed the balance.

My personal style of playing is PvE and group events, no PvP, PK, NW or TW, and although I know PvE is very forgiving on what you choose I just want to make sure whatever I choose won't be a rushed decision I'll come to regret later, and I believe hearing other peoples own experiences is the best way to gain knowledge in this.

Thanks for any advice!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Find me at ♡ Chel's Creative Corner ♡ of the screenshot section! :3

pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1607021
Post edited by Chelestine - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I still prefer Sage for Psychics because Bubble of Life is an AOE purify which is handy in various situations (I'm really more of a support-class person) and Sage Soul of Vengeance doesn't consume MP so you can cast it on other squad members. Most people don't like the Demon version, it's especially bad for classes that have a limited mana pool. You can also do the trick of BoL+Expel for a second Psychic Will and Soul of Retaliation heals 15% of your HP.

I find these to be pretty useful overall. Demon has all the crit and the potential for damage but good weapons (G16 Nirvana) are easier to get and nowadays we have the passives, cards, extra points... everyone's damage is better than it used to be which is enough for PvE, in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Chelestine - Heavens Tear
    Chelestine - Heavens Tear Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for your input Desdi, appreciate it :) Previously I might never have questioned the choice between sage and demon, but I find that with the new, easy and cheap way of getting skill books a whole new world has been opened up to me, and skills that I never even considered upgrading before I can now get my hands on, so I find I have to really study all the skills available to make sure I'm not missing anything! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Find me at ♡ Chel's Creative Corner ♡ of the screenshot section! :3

pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1607021
  • Allonade - Dreamweaver
    Allonade - Dreamweaver Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Personally I'm a pvp player but I do my fair share of pve...I myself questioned whether sage was the hands down victor between the two with recent updates...so about 2 months ago I shifted from sage to demon, got all my skills and tried it out. What I discovered was, even with great gear Demon needs substantially more support in both chi and heals to stay alive and perform, and that the jump in crits didn't actually seem to give me a much higher damage output. The loss of sage SoR, SoV and Tide Spirit really hurt me since each tick of SoV was taking hundreds and hundreds of mana from my pool to the point where I stopped using SoV altogether in pv and any instance where it would be proc'd repeatedly. Personally sage is a very economical build in that you conserve mana, you conserve chi, and you bother your cleric/healer less and support them more which makes for a, in my opinion, better pve experience.

-PS: Switched back to sage again...that was an expensive experiment.