Roar vs Flesh Ream

morenawolf
morenawolf Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Venomancer
Can you please explain me the exact difference between them in terms of aggro stealing? Which one would you choose if you had only one skill slot on your pet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
Tempestosa - Stormbringer
Archosaur & Morai server
Post edited by morenawolf on

Comments

• Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    morenawolf wrote: »
    Can you please explain me the exact difference between them in terms of aggro stealing? Which one would you choose if you had only one skill slot on your pet?

Roar resets aggro on the boss + gives a small amount of aggro on your pet. Flesh Ream is DOT physical skill. I would probably pick Flesh Ream, or Bash as they accumulate aggro and it does not reset. If you would really like a good aggro skill, I would suggest evolving your tank and rerolling it until it gets a mood with either Howl or Provoking. Both of these skills are excellent for aggro, Howl being a guaranteed AoE aggro skill, and provoking having a % chance to gain extra aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    The above.

While I'd prefer bash over both roar and flesh ream when it comes to aggro, I'd pick roar over ream if the pet had a low attack and vice versa for one with a higher attack. The reasoning? Simply put roar on a low attack pet will allow it to steal back aggro every so often for some wiggle room. On a pet with high attack, the extra damage from ream is valuable as the pet's own high attack would allow it to hold aggro on its own about as well as a pet could.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree with OPKossy here.
    I used to have Roar on my Shaodu Cub back in the day because it has low attack and couldn't always keep aggro with just Bash. It was also a useful way of stealing aggro temporarily to give the actual tank time to heal etc.

For example a Barbarian that can barely tank X boss I use my Cub to steal aggro once in a while to give the Cleric/heals some seconds to catch up and heal the Barbarian until my pet dies. Revive pet, rinse and repeat.

Otherwise, Bash is generally the best aggro generating skill until you can evolve your pet and get access to more/new skills.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is no real difference except roar being AOE.

Neither skills resets anything, this is an urban myth. If you doubt it, try this:
    1) Let barb deal 500k damage to a boss. (now has 500k agro)
    2) Let barb roar it. (now has 500k agro + a little from roar as opposed to 0+ a little bit from roar)
    3) Let another player attack it for anything less than 500k damage. Barb keeps agro.

They both add enough to your agro to mach the person who has the most agro on the mob/boss and then add some more. (about 20k at lvl 11)

Edit: i now notice this is the veno forum. I cannot be sure the veno pet skills are exactly the same.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    There is no real difference except roar being AOE.

Neither skills resets anything, this is an urban myth. If you doubt it, try this:
    1) Let barb deal 500k damage to a boss. (now has 500k agro)
    2) Let barb roar it. (now has 500k agro + a little from roar as opposed to 0+ a little bit from roar)
    3) Let another player attack it for anything less than 500k damage. Barb keeps agro.

They both add enough to your agro to mach the person who has the most agro on the mob/boss and then add some more. (about 20k at lvl 11)

Edit: i now notice this is the veno forum. I cannot be sure the veno pet skills are exactly the same.

Yeah. The veno pet skills are different in that regard. Like how Roar is single target, for the fastest example that's also incredibly easy to see.
    (Insert fancy image here)