Shatter crit boosts

Asishi - Archosaur
Asishi - Archosaur Posts: 146 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Seeker
Right, went back ten pages and didn't see this covered, so if it already has been... feel free to link me or whatnot.

All three shatters, depending on cultivation, can have crit boost on them. In practice though, this crit boost doesn't work right.

For instance, my veno has 5% crit rate. My sage mind shatter adds 50% crit rate to wood and water skill damage. 20 venomous hits in a row, on average, hit one crit without it. When I tested with it after noticing something was fishy? Two.

Naturally my assumption is that this crit boost is applied to the caster's already-present crit rate, meaning that 5% base + (5% base * .5 from shatter) = 7.5% crit rate. Thing is, it's rather hard to get statistically significant data with that low of a rate.

Does anyone know for certain how it is actually factored in, if at all (wouldn't be the first time a skill effect didn't properly execute), or have a caster with a high enough crit rate to test it?

Thanks in advance. Been bugging me for a while now, but I've been too lazy to post about it.
Post edited by Asishi - Archosaur on

Comments

• Ebrithalia - Dreamweaver
    Ebrithalia - Dreamweaver Posts: 441 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Naturally my assumption is that this crit boost is applied to the caster's already-present crit rate, meaning that 5% base + (5% base * .5 from shatter) = 7.5% crit rate. Thing is, it's rather hard to get statistically significant data with that low of a rate.

This is assumed to be how the crit buffs works, because a clean % bonus would not match up the results you get b:surrender
    Ebrithalia -Sage Seeker
  • Blossorn - Lost City
    Blossorn - Lost City Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so shatters only work on mobs? i cont use Heart Shatter on a person?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fist i started a Cleric :lv 20 2008
    2nd a Veno: lv 81 2009
    3rd an Assassin: lv 91 (****) 2010
    4th o.0 Assassin: lv 101 (cool)
    5th Mystic FTW b:dirty
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2013
    You need to consider that the crit % rate isn't a straight path. It's a sloping curve, and as it gets higher, you get declining results. (i.e. your character data says 50%, but it's actually calculated at a lower value. 100% crit rate does not mean you will crit on every hit. The higher the crit number is, the less of an increase in the actual % as calculated on the server)

I believe that the way that is designed is to add 50% of your base crit rate to your current. ("Base" meaning that it will probably not calculate crit% added by gear.) This is just like the accuracy boost works from gear like the Misty Forest rings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blossorn - Lost City
    Blossorn - Lost City Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    but when i used Power Dash on my sin as a 5aps (it as about 1.5 years ago so i dont know if they neerfed it or something) i was criting about 90%+ of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fist i started a Cleric :lv 20 2008
    2nd a Veno: lv 81 2009
    3rd an Assassin: lv 91 (****) 2010
    4th o.0 Assassin: lv 101 (cool)
    5th Mystic FTW b:dirty
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    100% crit rate does not mean you will crit on every hit. .

o.0 could you elaborate on how you found that?
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Asishi - Archosaur
    Asishi - Archosaur Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so shatters only work on mobs? i cont use Heart Shatter on a person?

Read the skill text. That'll answer your question for you.
    You need to consider that the crit % rate isn't a straight path. It's a sloping curve, and as it gets higher, you get declining results. (i.e. your character data says 50%, but it's actually calculated at a lower value. 100% crit rate does not mean you will crit on every hit. The higher the crit number is, the less of an increase in the actual % as calculated on the server)

I believe that the way that is designed is to add 50% of your base crit rate to your current. ("Base" meaning that it will probably not calculate crit% added by gear.) This is just like the accuracy boost works from gear like the Misty Forest rings.

First off, 100% crit is past the crit cap, so of course you won't crit 100% of the time. You can't actually have 100% crit. Pretty sure the cap is 90%, and it's not an asymptote, it's a hard cap.

Second off, Let's say it's 50% of base added before gear. That's 50% crit rate total. On average, 50% crit rate = 10/20 crits. 50% crit rate != 1-2/20 crits. I tested this for a good half hour or so. The rate is steady. It's not a statistical anomaly, it just doesn't work that way.

While I recognize what you're trying to say, I'm sorry, but no.
  • Unholly - Morai
    Unholly - Morai Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Any sources for this information? I would be interested to read up on this, always assumed a simple linear Crit % 0_0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/unhollyPWI