R8 or Barrier thorns Dags

Azzazzzin - Archosaur
Azzazzzin - Archosaur Posts: 15 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Assassin
finally got my barrier thorns -0.10 aps dags and i kinda hate them,

R8 has far more dmg then the thorns, What refinement would barrier thorns need to compare to a +3 or +5 R8 dagger? b:surrender

what do u perfer R8 or the aps dags?
You must first seek to understand before being understood. b:shutup
Post edited by Azzazzzin - Archosaur on

Comments

• truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Barrier thorns are **** overall with their only redeeming quality being the easy interval. If you're demon and can spark to 5.0 or 4.0 with R8 just stick to those. If you're sage and can't permaspark with the barrier thorns, again, I'd stick to R8.

Really, the only time I'd actually use G13s over R8 is in general PvE where permaspark is viable or for building chi if I'm too lazy to hit 2 buttons and get it filled.
  • SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver
    SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    truekossy wrote: »
    Barrier thorns are **** overall with their only redeeming quality being the easy interval. If you're demon and can spark to 5.0 or 4.0 with R8 just stick to those. If you're sage and can't permaspark with the barrier thorns, again, I'd stick to R8.

Really, the only time I'd actually use G13s over R8 is in general PvE where permaspark is viable or for building chi if I'm too lazy to hit 2 buttons and get it filled.
    I have to agree with you. I too finally got my g13s Cuz I wanted to be part of the all mighty 5.0 club, but my +4 R8 with "lol" shards do a lot more damage. I been running with my R8s for a year. And I can take down fc bosses a lot quicker with them than I can with thorns.

I don't pvp much but when I do... I prefer R-ochos. Stay thirsty my friends. Lol
    101/101/102
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also run around as a R1 seeker named WildFireXIII b:chuckle and now as a Stormbringer named xGrimStormxX, and no I'm not Grim from Kindred
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I prefer higher DPS and DPH personally.

5.0 has been overrated for so long now.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Massad - Harshlands
    Massad - Harshlands Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited December 2012

R8 has far more dmg then the thorns, What refinement would barrier thorns need to compare to a +3 or +5 R8 dagger? b:surrender

To answer your question +7 or 8 is equivalent to +5 r8 daggs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Other names include but not limited to LOKl_ _ClRCE_, _AnGeal_
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    edited December 2012
    Massad, that also depends on the APS rate of OP, since the damage difference is a lot more noticeable at the 4.0/5.0 range than the lower ones.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited December 2012

you arent done farming your weapon yet.

get another 150 raps this weekend in NW, and go g15, dont go crazy with the rerolls, start farming warsong, for the g16 mold and badges. or sell the raps off and buy GSTs medals and rep for r9.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    edited December 2012
    Sasha's alternative is also the new and improved version to the daggers you're talking about OP.

And her suggestion is the best if you're not planning on going R9.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As with the others stick with R8 if you plan on going R9 or Warsoul. If you go the niv route stay with R8 till you have the other raps for g15 and plenty of badges to reroll the g16's if you have to. There is no use refining the r8's then the g13's then refining again for g15 then g16.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Buff_me
    Buff_me Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    G13 currently is worst endgame daggers possible, imo.
  • kamukaze
    kamukaze Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think you forget that this dagger grants you cheapest 5aps. It means not only autoattack, it opens possibilites for using power dash or subsea at bossfight more frequently. Or you can spark to avoid magic attacks like in tt or doesnt matter where. If you bought this weapon for pvp then its sad... I have this weapon too, was 5aps demon, but i switched to sage and i enjoy it.
    Btw who said g13 its an endgame weapon? Maybe it was 1 year ago but many things changed. If some1 can collect like 20-30 tokens in nv then you can easily upgrade that weapon. So i think g13 dagger isnt bad as many ppl say in this topic.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    G13s have always had near Hook and Thorn damage, just better aps and a better refine rate.

If you're only 3.33 (no tome) with R8 then use G13s for chi gain and dps (50% more dps between 3.33 and 5.0). You can still whip out r8 daggers for PvP or aoeing on hotkey. If you are 4.0 with r8 (have a tome), may as well keep the r8s because until +10 R8s are better dps and dph.

G13s for dph, as stated, are slightly better than level 80 daggers. They're not endgame and sins are getting better and better at using their actual skills and aoes in the right situations.

In a few weeks the steps between G13 and G15 have gone from being about 220mil coin to being about 30m coin. So you may as well just sell your mirages you were gonna refine with and put it towards G15s. If you've been doing your BH metals and finding full warsongs the cost of G16 is about 5m =/ Ridiculously cheap, just need the mold and the badges. You can probably find someone willing to craft G16 for around 30m using their mold and their badges. So 65m from now you can have a weapon that is better dps than r9+10 daggers at about +5 refines.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    G13s have always had near Hook and Thorn damage, just better aps and a better refine rate.

If you're only 3.33 (no tome) with R8 then use G13s for chi gain and dps (50% more dps between 3.33 and 5.0). You can still whip out r8 daggers for PvP or aoeing on hotkey. If you are 4.0 with r8 (have a tome), may as well keep the r8s because until +10 R8s are better dps and dph.

G13s for dph, as stated, are slightly better than level 80 daggers. They're not endgame and sins are getting better and better at using their actual skills and aoes in the right situations.

In a few weeks the steps between G13 and G15 have gone from being about 220mil coin to being about 30m coin. So you may as well just sell your mirages you were gonna refine with and put it towards G15s. If you've been doing your BH metals and finding full warsongs the cost of G16 is about 5m =/ Ridiculously cheap, just need the mold and the badges. You can probably find someone willing to craft G16 for around 30m using their mold and their badges. So 65m from now you can have a weapon that is better dps than r9+10 daggers at about +5 refines.

You forget how N3 daggers need -int to out do R9 - I have rolled 2 pairs with -int, first one was on 2nd roll, the 2nd on 8th roll with -int. And each reroll is another 1m, which granted is nothing in comparison to R9 costs. But I`d love to see anybody who would part with their dagger mold and 60 badges for 30m.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • RydaMusPryme - Raging Tide
    RydaMusPryme - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i got r8 +5 and barrier thorns +5 and i use my r8 wayy more, usualy only use thorns for bosses to spark i/h powerdash then when that runas out spark again for r8 to fonish boss off
  • FaithDread - Heavens Tear
    FaithDread - Heavens Tear Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I loved being 5aps, for the short time I was simply because the the numbers would continue popping up after I killed the enemy and ran away b:laugh

I wouldnt use R8 unless in PvP because being able to Perma Spark is imo a lot better then slightly better damage. Being able to perma spark also gives the cleric a lot of room to heal you if things go **** up.

I quickly upgraded after about 2 weeks of being 5aps to G15, and love it soooo much. Int + Sac Strike is unbelievably high damage. I would recommend just using Barrier till you can upgrade to G15. Then use them till you can use G16.

Hope I didnt write that to confusingly, watching TV at the same time b:laugh
    Crafting shiny things since 2008 b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]