Is TW outdated?

fuzzywuzz
fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
So Fuzzy got to thinking after participating in another Nation War today...

The pace of Nation Wars combined with the personal rewards plus the opportunity to fight in multiple battles over the 2 hour length.. has Territory Wars become somehow less exciting? Is appears to be so for the panda.

Don't get Fuzzy wrong, TW is still an event that includes your entire faction and offers a battle with many more people in the instance. Just looking for players thoughts on this.

Nation Wars seem to offer less lag, more chance to kill, faster paced action, a much smaller instance thus flag resets and resetting of the action are faster than when the cata barbs die, personal rewards, arquably better rewards than tw even if you take a faction squad, more opportunity for every level and perhaps more Fuzzy hasn`t listed.

Just looking for thoughts..

What do you prefer? NW or TW?

edit: And if TW is outdated, what might spice it up considering all rewards need to offered on a faction level?
[SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
Sig by NowItsAwn
Post edited by fuzzywuzz on

Comments

• Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like both. Nation Wars has the huge baselock problem, which needs to be fixed, but if you avoid that, offers more action, and accesibility for the solo player, along with automatic buffs.
    TW needs a revamp. and those new towers to be less..... OP
    a new map, or maybe several new maps for tw, mattering on the land you are attacking, would be great to have
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think you make some good points and I would add some more. A big problem with TW is it was always an exclusive thing while NW is pretty much open to all. This includes rewards which you don't have to wait for and come at no risk of being left out. Also it isn't burdened with all the logistical preparations that TW requires, and its free from faction drama. Finally, while the transit times may be annoying it doesn't come down to disapointing 10 minute battles or hopeless lopsided affairs. You do get your fighting chance.

I'm not so sure I would call TW outdated but it definitively needs some sort of overhaul, just not so much on the increasing rewards side as abuse is one of the things that have certainly estranged a large part of the population from it.
  • Boartracker - Raging Tide
    Boartracker - Raging Tide Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I also enjoy both TW and NWs. TW is different in that it's faction vs faction. NWs is a different type of event and allows squads or solo play. TW doesn't really have great rewards while NWs does. I think the new towers & boosts in TW are fine and the increase in pay and mirage stones works. Especially the mirage stones for faction members who need to refine the new gears they are making from NWs. NWs will help even out the gear differences in TW so it will help TW over time.

Yes, I'd call them two different items, like lemon meringue pie and chocolate cake. Both are good even though they are different. Keep them both, just work on cleaning them up.

b:bye
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I also enjoy both TW and NWs. TW is different in that it's faction vs faction. NWs is a different type of event and allows squads or solo play. TW doesn't really have great rewards while NWs does. I think the new towers & boosts in TW are fine and the increase in pay and mirage stones works. Especially the mirage stones for faction members who need to refine the new gears they are making from NWs. NWs will help even out the gear differences in TW so it will help TW over time.

Yes, I'd call them two different items, like lemon meringue pie and chocolate cake. Both are good even though they are different. Keep them both, just work on cleaning them up.

b:bye

TW needs a huge pay raise. the bid requirement in tw has been raised up too high. Yesterday in a double tw used up 2 full plat charms, which = 20m on sanctuary right now. Towers for tw cost 8m to put up, and winning gives you 10m, which leaves 2m to give to faction? Back in old days, when people were noobs, tw money was given out to the faction members who came for their charm costs after a victory. with inflated price and inflated gear, we need inflated rewards please. at least enough to make it so at least a victorious tw will pay for itself for members
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Imo, NW is like TW but everyone can take part and you get a hellish profit too.

Can't really compare further, I can't make it to NW. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    So Fuzzy got to thinking after participating in another Nation War today...

The pace of Nation Wars combined with the personal rewards plus the opportunity to fight in multiple battles over the 2 hour length.. has Territory Wars become somehow less exciting? Is appears to be so for the panda.

Don't get Fuzzy wrong, TW is still an event that includes your entire faction and offers a battle with many more people in the instance. Just looking for players thoughts on this.

Nation Wars seem to offer less lag, more chance to kill, faster paced action, a much smaller instance thus flag resets and resetting of the action are faster than when the cata barbs die, personal rewards, arquably better rewards than tw even if you take a faction squad, more opportunity for every level and perhaps more Fuzzy hasn`t listed.

Just looking for thoughts..

What do you prefer? NW or TW?

edit: And if TW is outdated, what might spice it up considering all rewards need to offered on a faction level?

Except for entry, my game crashes a lot even on BP b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For now since NW is new I/we prefer it, but on HL we still have some epic TW (we did a TW of 3 hours yesterday), I think some people don't enjoy TW for more reason:

-It's old and some people already done that hundred if not thousand of times.

-NW is more close than TW to look like PvP, but without the bad sides as cannot drop gears or get red name.

-Ofc NW give more money to each players than TW, some people did TW since 2-3 years without get nothing from that, while in NW they get rewarded every time.

-In NW it seems that some class can more be free to play as they want, cleric DD, barb as well, while in TW they are stock to heals for cleric and be a cata for barb.

-I think some people don't enjoy TW anymore cause the lack of challenge, but in majority of the case it's their own fault, they bid on factions that are dead, or they know that the faction will not show, beside bid on a faction to get a real war, people don't do TW anymore to get a fun war, but to get land, so they bid on the easiest faction to beat, beside a biggest faction that would be a real challenge.

But try to change people mentality and tell them to bid where they have a chance to have a TW beside bid where they can get a free land.

If they want to revive TW, they should change it completely, add hp on a tower and crystal is not a challenge, that make TW more long, but that's it, they should change the map, the place, make new maps in new place, like in water, in the air, in mountain, forest or w/e.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Personally, it seems NW is more looked forward to than TWs now, at least on HT.

Plus it is easy monies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Star_Prism - Archosaur
    Star_Prism - Archosaur Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    NW replaces TW 100% for me. I tried TW before I switched servers and it was alright, it was a way to PvP with out having to go into PK mode. But I never liked being involved with all the faction drama and any faction that does TW on a regular basis, there is going to be drama. Now with NW I can stay factionless (and drama free) and still enjoy PvP and setting myself against many different players. With it only being a couple hours twice a week it's a perfect amount to get that PvP urge out of my system and then I can go back to questing, grinding or whatever else. Plus I do have to admit the reward is very nice. With the reward I receive from NW I can buy all my gear and still have plenty left over for fun stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

star-chaster.deviantart.com

star-chaster.tumblr.com
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I prefer NW over TW...which is sad, because I used to be a big TW person.

It just needs to be overhauled completely. New maps, new rules, new everything. You can only TW so much before its just flat out boring.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, the point of TW is to allow factions to 80 v 80 each other.

As it is, this means there are 3 types of TW factions.
    ~The top 1-3 that can actually compete with each other who eventually take over the whole map, anyone who challenges them will be promptly squished in an expensive 5 minute battle so that they can focus on each other.
    ~Then you have about 4 factions who stay out of their way, but normally get 30-60 sign ups. They don't challenge the big guys but if they did they might last 10 minutes and get about 10 kills amongst their entire faction before being locked in their base to watch their crystal destroyed.
    ~14-20 aspiring little TW factions who want to experience it but are a mix of level 1-105, fielding 10-30 fighters. Most of these players have no pk experience but would like to do squaded pk events in a risk free zone.

TW works great for the top 1-3 factions, except it gets boring fighting the same person every week. If alliances are formed you may win your attack, then lose one of your double defense for zero ground gained. If you lose your attack and double defense eventually you have no lands left and can only attack and again, zero ground gained.

The middle TW factions spend their time eating the lower TW factions then eventually get land locked between the big TW factions, not daring to attack. Then it becomes weekly defenses against factions that have no land.

The lower TW factions are eaten up as prompty as TWing will allow. Do they have a right to be there if they can't defend their land? No, probably not. But should that end their TW career for another 6 months?...

For most people the upgrade to towers kind of sucked. I am in a big TW faction, where it made no difference to us other than our pockets. I am also in a little faction who tried twing and basically the towers were soloing 90% of my faction, leaving us to do costly weekly stalemates.

Suggestions? Taper tower damage according to levels. I believe its a percent right now,but maybe it should be 1% damage every 4 levels? So a level 40 suffers 10% damage while a level 100 suffers 25% damage?

Charm rewards instead of coin? I dodge TWs periodically as I'm working on gear thinking if I skip TW this week I can save 12m in apos and charms, put that towards a gear shard, and be better for next weeks TW. I could just ask for coin, but TW should be a coin sink, so maybe charms instead? "But PWI wants people to buy charms with rl money, not give us them for free." Well if more people are TWing in hopes of a charm and only half of them actually get a charm then the other half will still need to buy their charms.

Actually, one idea I've played with was what about a "surprise attack" bonus like it was a sneak attack in rl? Attacks get 20% more def/attack. This would encrouage more turnover of lands and the weaker factions might stand a chance when attacking and the strong factions could only use it once a week anyways.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Nation war is far superior to TW because you actually have the chance to make coin back you spent on a charm and then some,also provides for advancement on armor/weapon upgrades,though it does suck to bring a specific instance down like nirv/base trials(like who did those anyways right),NW dows give people more of a chance to catch up.Before i knew NW was about this kinda rewards i thought i was gonna have to do 24-7 nirv runs to get my over 1k canny and 100+ raps for my clerics gear and weapon,but nope lol i had all that done in a week or 2 and along with purchasing off other people.
    But as the event itself its basicly a free for all with no real strat really..yeha a flag but not many go for the flag or even know where it is,so they jsut run around and kill people,get kileld by people,rinse and repeat for the 2 hour duration in hopes of their nation to win and their scores to be par on getting alot of canny/rap to use or sell.
    They should make a ladder event system to where guilds can just challenge anotehr guild for the rankings,with the winning teams getting rewards and such,it can be a on going thing with challenges being made at all times,and will have a date and time decided on by the guilds involved...its not hard to do this if you guys ever been on a FPS based ladder system.

and im not lying.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As many have stated, I feel that both are different in their own way. Every PK instance has a different feel to it, and NW has become quite popular. I still like both, mainly because the pace is much different in both. Yes, NW needs strategy, but it's much easier to put strategy together in a TW, as you're with a faction where the players know one another. It's also a lot slower because of the size of each map, so that also plays a role.

I see TW more as a way to challenge those with equal gear, or a way to improve your skill. Oftentimes in NW I run into opponents that are not even level 100, and I feel bad destroying them in a hit. NW just gives everyone a chance to not only gear up with the reward system, but also get some experience learning how to PvP and work as a group in a PvP instance. You could say TW is not worth it, but in my opinion, having fun, regardless of the cost, is more than worth it.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    NW prime strategy, hover over spawn points and decimate the new players spawning. I get the feeling as well that some people tend to put alts in other nations by the droves. One nation always does super well, and they have the least players, i am guessing the better geared factions are going there as a squad.

People are still new to NW. Today saw an amazing sight, 20 vs 2, guess who won, yes b:shocked, the side with 2 people.
  • Buff_me
    Buff_me Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Gotta agree with Fuzzy on this. TW needs something new and exciting.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2012

This.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Elvenne - Raging Tide
    Elvenne - Raging Tide Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    b:dirty I like both TW and NW they bring people online and I love to play with my friends!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Personally I find TW outdated. It can be a big investment in time/items with little reward. While NW is a shorter time investment with a bigger reward using the same items (charms, apo etc). Since NW has become a major source of the average players money, it increases NW importance over TW.

If TW was a full 80 vs. 80 w/ people of equal gear/items, it would be much more fun. Unfortunately, it is not, and most likely never will be.

I still find both fun (when TW isn't a roll and when NW isn't base-locked), but if I had to pick one to give up, it would be TW, no question about it.
  • Dylena - Raging Tide
    Dylena - Raging Tide Posts: 1,416 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Rewards on TW is outdated but TW itself is still somewhat fun. Cus lets face it, even with the amount of money factions get in...the amount you use in there kinda makes you go minus each time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Antigone - Momaganon
    Antigone - Momaganon Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like both, TW and NW since I'm part of a well organised TW-faction which had great TW when we only had less than 20 ppl vs 40 or more. Both has nice sides but NW is a bit more fun imo because:

-I need a charm for every TW but TW pay is only like 1-2m for me (cannot take part in every TW), so it's damn expensive (luckily I mostly have event gold).

->I also use charm in NW but it's not THAT important to have one since it's my own decision if I die often or not. IN TW, it's my JOB to stay alive.

-In TW, my mainjob is to heal. Buff. Rez. I rarely do dmg, I rarely have fun killing ppl.

->In NW I finally can show my clericpower other than healing :D it's like...letting the beast out for 2 days/week wrarr xD

-TW is fun itself but not very rewarding (except you are nr 1 faction with all good lands maybe)

-> I finally have an aim again with NW! (Full R9-3 for Cleric, Full G16 for my Wiz, REcast R8 for Psy and so on) and the rewards are amazing (even when I only gain like 120-150 token normally lol)

-TW is so laggy, I run 90% of time into my enemies cuz I cannot see them b:shocked

->NW is not half that laggy!

When I have to choose, I will join TW since my faction is a TW faction but if I could chose w/o faction aspect I would go to NW!
    You wanna make TW more funny again? Give us back rewards like medal of glory or a bunch of chippacks so we all can go r9 lol. Na...but give us better rewards or a auto-charm/buffsystem
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It hasn't been outdated as such, it just needs to be upgraded, needs more excitement, it's been almost the exact same since the start of PWI and it does start to become a bit of the same over and over again...it needs to be revamped, I can't list any thoughts right at this minute, but yeah b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I still enjoy TW, but it's fun is declining due to cost of charm prices increase on my server. Once upon a time ago...charms were 2.5m(hp)/1m(mana)...now they are x3 or more of that. I think TW should be added some reward for winning or losing such as reforge mats, or even contribution gained for participating to use on faction base things.
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I still enjoy TW, but it's fun is declining due to cost of charm prices increase on my server. Once upon a time ago...charms were 2.5m(hp)/1m(mana)...now they are x3 or more of that. I think TW should be added some reward for winning or losing such as reforge mats, or even contribution gained for participating to use on faction base things.

I agree, no kidding I love myself a GOOD TW, but we do need rewards for it apart from 10m to the faction leader for owning 1 lvl 3 territory b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Even though I haven't participated in a lot of TW myself, I've observed TW since the beginning, watched videos and was here when changes occurred and yes...I agree with Fuzzy.

TW is different from NW, those two shouldn't be compared, but TW does need an update. A change in the rewards, a change on the maps (different territories should have different maps eg. desert lands should have desert TW maps) and allow factions to make up more strategies and different tactics.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Bladed_Tony - Raging Tide
    Bladed_Tony - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The whole TW setting gets worse..

first.. the Price to pay to TW.. towers charms apoths.. the reward system and/or the price of building towers needs to change dramatically ..

second.. the Towers.. they made TWing harder for ppl not wearing OP gears

third.. the flying limit.. only 20meters in the air? really? how does that help tw.. when u get shot down by everything that is on the ground.. it was fine when only archers with demon/sage winged blessing could snipe u down.. but now all ranged classes can bring u down.. thats some bs.

fourth.. the fact that its undetermined how many ppl u can get to go to tw.. while NW tends to even out the numbers..

fifth.. the binds can only be brought down by catas now..

sixth.. the unholy lag that comes with a full 80 vs 80..

NW is a fun instance with a lot of the fun u would usually get out of a TW.. without all the negatives that come from TWs..
    Plus those rewards more than make up for ur charm cost most of the time..
    Attacking at the speed of Suck since 2009
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree, no kidding I love myself a GOOD TW, but we do need rewards for it apart from 10m to the faction leader for owning 1 lvl 3 territory b:surrender

I'd prefer fact contribution over TW pay anytime as a reward for participating in TW. That way I could use that contribution to buy Pangu Essences/other useful fact apos that could really help me out in NW.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited December 2012

TW was changed.

I agree, compared to nation wars - the lowest reward I've heard of active players getting is 20 tokens, so about 10m - even if you owned every land, giving 20m to every player is nearly, if not impossible. I love TW, but it's hard to encourage people to go for their group PK fix when NW gives actual rewards. They're both different styles, and both very enjoyable and rewarding play. But winning is nothing more than bragging rights really now, as that "PK Fix" can be found elsewhere with real profit.

Up the rewards on TW, give free charms, something to offset the cost of TW. The Tower change is fine, makes it more than a crystal rush.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    NW replaces TW 100% for me. I tried TW before I switched servers and it was alright, it was a way to PvP with out having to go into PK mode. But I never liked being involved with all the faction drama and any faction that does TW on a regular basis, there is going to be drama. Now with NW I can stay factionless (and drama free) ....

go play offline games....

on topic

the "unholy laag" in tw is the result of playing games on a toaster
    toasters cant handle it
    you should buy a computer.

nw
    nw has a few flaws for me
    half of the time you spend doing nothing
    unable to enter any war or in a war without defenders cause they cant reach it.

they need to adjust it so the wide mass of people is in action
    maybe enable walking over a battled map
    so cut of maps can get defenders....

i hate sitting in base... i really do

and the reward is based to much on how your stupid nation acts as a whole

every single person below 100 just blocks space for someone useful

if you are unlucky you get into a war with 19 full tards who do anything but focus on the flag...

you have to rely on the average idiot you wouldnt even squad for bh...
    squads get seperated all the time usually

in tw you have 80 people on vent, scouts, a command central aka leader room and a set of fully prepared people who generally know what they are doing

yet the balance always lacks... so nw is my current favorite
    ignoring cost/use
    i like potato
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I pretty much agree fully with hexypoo b:chuckle
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • f31
    f31 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    TW dont need nothing cos lets face it.
    its the ppl who made tw what it is today.
    beast geared player all unite under same flag aka faction wish mean they have all the r9s3 josd wish mean bb for the oposition.

nw you dont know where to will end at light dark flame ice

so cos its not a choice we the player can make its a more balanced mechanism preferable if we only could join in solo it would be even better ooh and make so only one ip can join nw.
This discussion has been closed.