Buff facepalm, facepalm everywhere

Options
BlueAmbition - Lost City
BlueAmbition - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Seeker
*Warning: read this stupid thread at your own risk*

Bonjouuur!

So, Here's my question. Talking about self-buff, which one should I use for general pve?

-northen sky waltz
-soulserver minuet
-parchedblade dance

which one?

Thank you for your time!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, I'm a yuri fangirl. Bellatrix Lestrange gives me all these sexy feels...
Post edited by BlueAmbition - Lost City on

Comments

• IHaxJoo - Raging Tide
    IHaxJoo - Raging Tide Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    use soulsever to start with, when u get a proc, hit gemini slash and change to northern sky waltz....and keep on hitting staggering strike everytime u get a proc on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I agree with above on bosses.

For just questing, use whatever you want. xD

In case of having to vortex a lot of mobs, I use parchblade. IF vortex drops for whatever reason,(you get interrupted, don't click pot in time, lag, whatever) most mobs will have the status on them, you can stun, and start vortex again, or in case of not having enough chi, it at least buys you sometime.

And asking questions aint stupid :) it's stupid not to ask questions when you have them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kalish - Lost City
    Kalish - Lost City Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Agree with the above for bosses. For general pve I don't usually bother - when mobs are 1-2 shots anyway I don't see a point. Rather have no stance on so I can heartseeker the dumb *** sin that tries to stun/spark/aps me from stealth.
  • Reshanta - Sanctuary
    Reshanta - Sanctuary Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Agree with all the above, but I usually triple spark at the end of that combination.

For just grinding, I keep NSW up, and use heart shatter if they have "increased life" buff.
    Lonely man with a big heart.
  • GallaxXIII - Sanctuary
    GallaxXIII - Sanctuary Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    use soulsever to start with, when u get a proc, hit gemini slash and change to northern sky waltz....and keep on hitting staggering strike everytime u get a proc on it.

if you looked it up in a text book, this would be the word for word context :)
    Objective: Complete
  • GallaxXIII - Sanctuary
    GallaxXIII - Sanctuary Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Agree with all the above, but I usually triple spark at the end of that combination.

For just grinding, I keep NSW up, and use heart shatter if they have "increased life" buff.

i triple spark in the middle, soulsever, northern, let status appear, 3 spark, staggering strike .

or if i wanted to get really creative,
    i will post this....
    Objective: Complete
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    *Warning: read this stupid thread at your own risk*

Bonjouuur!

So, Here's my question. Talking about self-buff, which one should I use for general pve?

-northen sky waltz
    -soulserver minuet
    -parchedblade dance

which one?

Thank you for your time!

I would only use soulsever on wood mobs and maybe not even then.

On run-away mobs you have no choice but to use NSW to keep them in place.

If I am going to be fighting multiple mobs on purpose or by necessity I used parchedblade and try to aoe stun then.

Sometimes if mobs are hitting me hard I use parcedblade so the stun will give me a break from the damage. But most of the time NSW is the best buff and the one you should be using the most during grinding.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Know your instance, use what applies.

For instance if I'm running an instance where I tend to pull->vortex, pull->vortex (like Seat or FCC) then I'll throw on Parched Blade in case my vortex gets knocked down and I have 10+ mobs on me. It's a quick aoe, a stun, and a decent chunk of damage.

If I'm in an instance where squad aoe is very important or at a boss I'll throw on Soul Sever, like Delta or Metal. Knocking down high hp mobs or [?] mobs is much easier when they are debuffed for your entire squad. It also procs from an aoe instead of a single target like Northern.

Side note to Soul Sever being at bosses I decide if my squad would benefit from the attack level reduction. If I have a barb in squad that uses devour I don't bother since their attack level reduction is stronger and will overwrite mine. If I have a sin tanking or a boss that aoes I make the choice on whether I think they'd benefit more from the 10attack/10def of Soul Sever or do I try to get a Northern Sky Waltz proc'd for the initial debuffs of HF/amp/EP/TM. Sometimes it's easier to just blow up the bosses. If I do decide to Soul Sever first I run in and attack till I get a proc, then use Blade affinity->Gemini Slash->Northern Sky-> attack till it procs->Staggering Strike->triple spark. Then you have both -10 attack levels and -20 def levels on the boss.

A majority of the time, and for solo grinding, I have Northern Sky. Gemini has its long channeling which makes it somewhat impractical for clearing with a squad but I want a stance that debuff def levels for the real dd's, the sins and bms. Debuff for them and mobs disappear.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Grushdeva - Dreamweaver
    Grushdeva - Dreamweaver Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    the only time the barbs attack level reduction would be higher than that of soulsever is if they're using sage/demon devour (if there is another skill they have with this effect then i've missed it as i dont play one myself) and even then its only 15 attack levels lower and will still be vastly inferiour to the soulsever as it only lasts for 4 seconds on a skill with 6 seconds cooldown and that they most likely will not be able to spam (or want to?) due to the chi cost.
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    In case of devour, most barbs will use it anyways to keep agro. If they're not going to tank anyways due to high-aps ppl who are able to tank I usually kindly ask them to stop it... some do. Some are annoying and don't, as long as I'm not the one tanking, I don't really care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    While Devour does add to aggro it usually helps the DDs get aggro far more. It add's a 50% pdef debuff, which is about 30% more damage so in the situation comparing a 25k dps barb and a 150k dps sin the barbs damage output moves up 7.5k from Devour while the sin gets an extra 45k damage output. Now we're comparing 32.5 barb dps and 190k sin dps. They've just helped the sin get a huge amount of aggro for the little amount of aggro the skill gave them.

But, they increased the amount of paint heals by 30% and lowered boss attack levels, making the boss much more tankable, too. This is why past level 90 most barbs should stop FRing and use their chi for devour to assist a dd tank.

At level 10 Devour barbs (which they're expected to have) offer the same attack level reduction as Seekers with Devour as well as a great pdef debuff and at level 11 they offer a better attack level reduction. If your barb Devours one time, as Grushdeva pointed out, your soul sever debuff is overwritten. That's why based on your squad makeup it's sometimes better to just get the Northern Sky Waltz up for -20 def levels and assume the barb is going to immediately over buff your Soul Sever. If your squad knows what they're doing they'll start bosses with all debuffs at once about 5 seconds in after triple sparking. This is when the barb is devouring and when you should be putting a -20 def level buff on.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • _eVeReL_ - Sanctuary
    _eVeReL_ - Sanctuary Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Going back to the original question,here's the breakdown for ya:
    1.) Against Bosses/Instance mobs: I start off with soulsever--->gemini, switch over to NSW--->keep staggering for the duration of the boss fight. With instance mobs (read FCC) you'll most likely just be vortexing anyway b:surrender so dont worry about stance

2.)For General Grinding/Questing: Against phys mobs, i dont use a stance usally, and just heartseeker from a distance and kill them 'fore they get close since they dont deal much dmg against us its not a big deal. Against mag mobs, spam NSW like hell, usually in a crowded area full of mag mobs one runner cud get u in big trouble,'specially if u "forgot" to bring hp food. Use NSW to keep the runner in place then just use a normal dmg combo and ur all gud. If ur farming with large groups of mobs, is the only time I ever use parchedblade to stun them for 2 secs to get a respite or recover chi before launching into AOE's again. b:victory
    I crack myself up!! b:laugh b:chuckle b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the first one.
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    This be the reason why this guy is so smart!! b:surrender