TW reset every 6 months...

Comments

• Eccii - Raging Tide
    Eccii - Raging Tide Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Kinda dumb argueing when it is already decided by the people who matter.

If anything, should blame all the leaders of those tw factions who dominated the map. The pwi people have spoken- one faction is not intended on owning the entire map.

Yeah some poeple wont like it, but im thinking that more will like it then don't.

I am excited to see the new stuff....

People didn't like mirages as TW payment either b:bye

EDIT: oh and the people that matter are the players without players there's no game, without a game there's no cash shop, without cash shop there is no profit, without profit well...there is nothing.
    Retired on Barb-
    Currently playing mystic-
  • OontzOontz - Dreamweaver
    OontzOontz - Dreamweaver Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Let's just get rid of TW altogether and just go with the war between the 3 major orders in Descent. China is probably planning on something like that already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XLawBreakerX - Sanctuary
    XLawBreakerX - Sanctuary Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Stop QQing. First of all its a game If Big people want Fun and good TWs Place a Bid for Archasaur on the first Week. From Archasar you can go to Any corner of the map in Max 5 Weeks. So yea it takes 5 weeks MAX for Big Factions to have a Big TW "IF THEY WANT IT".

Now the Question is do you really want it ? IF Not Then Stop QQing on here and play like the way you want IF YES then DO IT.
    edited February 2012
    And I agree with People who said Prizes should be better for the Best Faction after 6months.

Its a good change for majority of the community. But you will always have some section complaining about one thing or the other. Good market Stratgy by PWI, this might encourage more people to become more active. Good stuff overall.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Stop QQing. First of all its a game If Big people want Fun and good TWs Place a Bid for Archasaur on the first Week. From Archasar you can go to Any corner of the map in Max 5 Weeks. So yea it takes 5 weeks MAX for Big Factions to have a Big TW "IF THEY WANT IT".

You can't bid Arch unless you own three lands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Michael - Harshlands
    Michael - Harshlands Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    There is a 2 land minimum to bid on level 2 lands and a 3-5 land minimum to bid on archo (used to be 5 but im pretty sure it dropped to 3 last reset hard to tell though as we walled off 1k instead).

I can see reasons why they think its a good idea, I agree with other people than the 1 year option is better because undefeated factions (like mine) could if they wished obtain the whole map. With a 6month season it is way to easy with little combat for two guilds to have equal amounts of land.

Although I have 3 alts on my account (who all share my gear) and so ill be playing in 3 factions during the reset period as it will give me extra income and amusement.
    edited February 2012
    Ok Then a Place next to Archasaur. I am not much of an expert or anything i only play for fun and as a stress buster so i didnt know we cant bid. But i guess we can bid on a state near Archasaur next to it ? Add 1 more week so 6 Weeks Max for a big TW if anyone wants it.
    edited February 2012

I can see reasons why they think its a good idea, I agree with other people than the 1 year option is better because undefeated factions (like mine) could if they wished obtain the whole map. With a 6month season it is way to easy with little combat for two guilds to have equal amounts of land.

This is a Valid point.

But your point about Not Having Major TWs for 3-4Months for Big Faction is absolutely Bull****e. You can have a Big TW in 5-6 Weeks IF YOU WANT. Its upto you if your faction really willing to do it then do it.

Either they should give a better prize or make it 1 year Thats my opinion too, but not because we cant have Epic Pro TWs because thats totally upto us if we want to have it or not.
  • _Umbreon_ - Raging Tide
    _Umbreon_ - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I agree on the fact that it could be just a way to make more people buy R9 and thus making PWI more money but also it's really unfair for smaller factions who have no hope of getting any territories because the "main" faction has the entire map for themselves, so this is a good way to make smaller factions compete more in TW as opposed to one or two dominant factions controlling everything.

On my server, there's only like 3 main factions on the TW map...
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm curious to see how it plays out. I like the idea though as this move will appeal more to the masses and less too big named factions since they are a minority.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I guess the main issue of michael's point is that in the beginning you only really see competitive TW between weaker factions while the strong factions are busy gobbling up the weaker ones. From this process the strength of the average landholder gradually increases until people are forced to attack the stronger ones. Of course there is no guarantee that at the end of this process you will be left with any competitive TW (look at harshland's map).

Perhaps there is something that can be done to encourage stronger factions to attack each other earlier?

Perhaps a decent sized group of land in the middle can have their rewards drastically increased as well as provide alot of the top grade apoth. The strongest factions would then quickly converge on those spots while the smaller factions would take the outside rim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Well I think the change will only motivate the major factions to use alts factions to gobble up more than their 24 land limit. Major tw factions have myriads of alts.. someone people have r9 on 2 or 3 chars... Truth be told. Small factions TW for FUN!!! LOL what? Thats why the maps look like they do. They dont take it as a serious goal. Will PWI make rule that you can only TW with 1 char per week?

This every 6 months reset won't stop people from flocking to the top faction. People still will and they will put their alts to defend the alt factions lands.

This change also takes away what would be my motivation to TW. I spent my PWI career fighting against the largest factions.... Now what would be the point? I would think PWI should just reset after 1 faction owns all. Not every 6 months. Thats g-a-y.

Who comes up with this shizz? Obviously it's people who DONT PLAY THE GAME AT ALL!
  • kirtcni
    kirtcni Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm not a tw player but I've watched a bit. I have a question and one of those who does tw can probably answer this. if you attack a land and take it. then loose that land in the next attack. Can you attack anywhere on the map after that?

If the answer is yes. Then the complaint of the larger factions for heavy long fights is invalid. All they have to do is loose their first land then move closer to their true opponent.

I'm curious if that would solve the quick fight policy?
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I guess the main issue of michael's point is that in the beginning you only really see competitive TW between weaker factions while the strong factions are busy gobbling up the weaker ones. From this process the strength of the average landholder gradually increases until people are forced to attack the stronger ones. Of course there is no guarantee that at the end of this process you will be left with any competitive TW (look at harshland's map).

Perhaps there is something that can be done to encourage stronger factions to attack each other earlier?

That's a rather interesting phenomena: On one hand, you have the stronger factions complaining about how boring TW is because of the power balance, on the other you have a lot of them taking actions that are oriented towards owning the most land, which would lead to getting the most profit. With "profit" referring to free teleports, easier refining via having more refining NPCs, possibly being able to make the special apos or simply the money you get out of it.

But yes, I do think this idea is a bit ridiculous. The previous map reset drove some mediocre factions to turn into TW factions prematurely, which made it tough for people like myself who cannot TW to find a faction to stay with. And that effect lasted until the map was divided between the strongest factions. Also, it's going to affect the motivation that factions will have for TW: if you know that the map is going to reset within a few months, why should you bid on lands that you only have a chance to win, instead of it being pretty much guaranteed upon the reset? Similarly, why should the stronger TW factions bother spending their resources on PvP TW if they know they can take a month's rest and then easily take some PvE lands?

And with even the mediocre factions fighting over TW, it's going to make it hard for people with mediocre gear to survive, as they'll be less wanted in factions and if they're at the stage where they'd prefer to farm for their gear, they won't even get into a faction. Which would either drive them to quit or to CS.

Brilliant plan by PWE: force the new generation to cash shop to keep up while discouraging the older generation that is already decked out with their +12 JoSD R9s.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    kirtcni wrote: »
    If the answer is yes. Then the complaint of the larger factions for heavy long fights is invalid. All they have to do is loose their first land then move closer to their true opponent.

That's 2-3 weeks of lost TW time. That's not a well reasoned statement. So you expect a faction to give up their land just so they can move closer to someone else to attack? Then what about the faction that doesn't that can win more lands in that 6 month period... so by default they would get "the prize", whatever that might be? Umm.... no.

This "fix" isn't well thought out. As Aubree pointed out, this "fix" was probably created by someone who doesn't even play the game.

So this basically becomes a 6 month event with the faction who can obtain the most lands, wins. And in 6 months time, everyone will be complaining about all their hard work being wiped out, except for the factions who were wiped off the map. Lovely.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Michael - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Quick note, me and michael_dark are completely different people who just happen to both be 102 bms on different pvp servers.

In general I personally would expect a minimum of 2 months for 2 big factions to go at each other, unless they both try to secure the same major city for apoth pots as it takes 1 month to take the t1 city (3 lands + the TW vs it) and then another 3-4 weeks to reach the other t1 city where you would expect the other powerhouse to be. It is possible that 2 big factions will pick the same t1 city in which case you could have a good war as early as week 2 as they will try and keep their opponent from having enough lands to siege the t1 city.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    kirtcni wrote: »
    I'm not a tw player but I've watched a bit. I have a question and one of those who does tw can probably answer this. if you attack a land and take it. then loose that land in the next attack. Can you attack anywhere on the map after that?

I'm curious if that would solve the quick fight policy?

What you don't understand is that they don't really want the 3 hour tws at their own expense. LOL Easier to just roll over small factions to get the rival faction.

@ Micheal harshlands.. That does not happen on DW. Factions are "too scared" to war with the top faction until absolutely necessary.
  • kirtcni
    kirtcni Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    No it's not invalid

1. If your pure claim is that the "fun" fights are what's important isn't that reasonable? I'm not asking for the win. If the goal of the faction is purely the fun fight then. my statement is still valid.

2. If your after territories to increase wealth, then going after lands and gobbling up the lowers is your goal. the fun fights will happen when they happen.

The statements are not exclusive.
    edited February 2012
    @ Micheal harshlands.. That does not happen on DW. Factions are "too scared" to war with the top faction until absolutely necessary.

On LC, that leads to a lot of no-shows. If you know the other faction is likely going to win, a lot of the factions here won't bother with even showing up. So, crystal walks may become even more common.

edit: quoted for truth:
    That's a rather interesting phenomena: On one hand, you have the stronger factions complaining about how boring TW is because of the power balance, on the other you have a lot of them taking actions that are oriented towards owning the most land, which would lead to getting the most profit. With "profit" referring to free teleports, easier refining via having more refining NPCs, possibly being able to make the special apos or simply the money you get out of it.

But yes, I do think this idea is a bit ridiculous. The previous map reset drove some mediocre factions to turn into TW factions prematurely, which made it tough for people like myself who cannot TW to find a faction to stay with. And that effect lasted until the map was divided between the strongest factions. Also, it's going to affect the motivation that factions will have for TW: if you know that the map is going to reset within a few months, why should you bid on lands that you only have a chance to win, instead of it being pretty much guaranteed upon the reset? Similarly, why should the stronger TW factions bother spending their resources on PvP TW if they know they can take a month's rest and then easily take some PvE lands?

And with even the mediocre factions fighting over TW, it's going to make it hard for people with mediocre gear to survive, as they'll be less wanted in factions and if they're at the stage where they'd prefer to farm for their gear, they won't even get into a faction. Which would either drive them to quit or to CS.

Brilliant plan by PWE: force the new generation to cash shop to keep up while discouraging the older generation that is already decked out with their +12 JoSD R9s.

When one faction is in the points lead, why would anyone want to face them if there is no chance of winning the 6 month prize?

After two or three months, the winner will be decided and the rest of the TW community will coast until next reset. This makes no real sense.
  • Michael - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Well after our last reset the 2nd strongest faction at the time (believed by us and the rest of the server to be the stronger at the time) made a beeline straight to us from the bottom right corner (we took 1k) we beat them in 2-3 Tws and they basically fell appart leading to the TW map we have today.

The problem with early wars between big factions is that instability, which is probably why the bigger guilds on DW avoided the early wars, by establishing a certain amount of dominance over the map it actually increases the solidity of your faction thus meaning 2-3 crushing defeats against another top faction wont destroy you completely
    edited February 2012
    Well after our last reset the 2nd strongest faction at the time (believed by us and the rest of the server to be the stronger at the time) made a beeline straight to us from the bottom right corner (we took 1k) we beat them in 2-3 Tws and they basically fell appart leading to the TW map we have today.

The problem with early wars between big factions is that instability, which is probably why the bigger guilds on DW avoided the early wars, by establishing a certain amount of dominance over the map it actually increases the solidity of your faction thus meaning 2-3 crushing defeats against another top faction wont destroy you completely

The problem with avoiding early wars is that you'll lose the points race to the 6 month prize. After one faction has a decent lead on the next, what's the motivation for smaller factions to TW when they won't win a reset prize?
  • RunningTiger - Dreamweaver
    RunningTiger - Dreamweaver Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Who cares about the prize.....I mean seriously, don't all the veteran players already have atleast two mounts for everyone of the alts on thier main account by now?

If my faction chooses to not go an fight one atleast semi-equal in strength, I'm not going to stay. I will join which ever faction is actually doing tw aqainst another where I can actually fight for awhile. Good luck keeping all your members if all your planning to do is gobble up the easy land for the entire time.....
    edited February 2012
    Who cares about the prize.....I mean seriously, don't all the veteran players already have atleast two mounts for everyone of the alts on thier main account by now?

And what of the champion? The faction crowned at the end of each season will receive a special prize which will likely change from season to season. In the event of a tie, the champion will be determined by 3v3 armed combat between the factions' most powerful warriors. We'll also be working on a way for champions and past champions to be displayed proudly on the PWI website.

So it's gonna end up being an e-peen title on the website.

What's the motivation for smaller guilds to actually TW? The fact that a large faction will steamroll them for the easiest path to victory? If two factions are tied for the lead, you think they'll try for assured victory or a long battle? Why would a smaller guild that has no chance of holding land actually spend money, time and effort to staying on the map, especially when it's going to be reset?

This is another brick in the "pw has to give every player everything without earning it" wall...
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Who said its gonna be a mount?
  • Sonorhc - Archosaur
    Sonorhc - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    [QUOTE=Territory Map Reset

And finally, get ready, because we will be resetting the territory maps on all US and EU servers on February 14th during that night's maintenance! For each server, one champion will be declared -- the faction holding the most territories come Monday the 13th.

From here on out, we would like to make Territory Map resets a regular, more frequent occurrence because it promotes competition, reduces the opportunity for a long-standing server monopoly, and creates a more dynamic TW landscape. So from now on, Territory Wars will be broken up into 6 month-long seasons.

And what of the champion? The faction crowned at the end of each season will receive a special prize which will likely change from season to season. In the event of a tie, the champion will be determined by 3v3 armed combat between the factions' most powerful warriors. We'll also be working on a way for champions and past champions to be displayed proudly on the PWI website.

Now, for this reset, although technically there was no "season", we would still like to reward the dominant faction on each server. So to this end, after this reset occurs on the 14th, we will be sending each server champion:

10x Shadow Fox
    20x Scarlet Fox]
    [/QUOTE]

As listed in the news
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    That only says for this reset and for no real reason. That why probably mounts and only 30 of them....

They also mention changing rewards for every season. Im assuming later rewards will be different. Something that always makes that dominate faction stronger.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Since bidding is anonymous, big factions will need to discuss which lands they take before each reset... but I thought factions colluding like this was a bannable offense? As I'll say again, I don't think resets are a bad thing if the map has become stagnant, I just don't think 6 months is appropriate.

I think PW just wants to remove TW as an end-game instance but still passive aggressively pushing rank sales otherwise putting a level cap on entering TW would make it much more competitive.

I see it though as this...

Large Faction A bids North East
    Large Faction B bids South West

^ Those two factions want to fight each other in competitive/non-roll TW's. 6 months is enough time in theory to get to each other but by then both Large A & B factions would have had to go through some of the Small Factions C, D & E and roll them just to get to the ones that will give a fight worthy of TW'ing.

I guess it just seems bleh because, at least in Sanc, the map is not all that stagnant in my opinion. The large and medium/smaller factions TW every week. (Although I know that a few factions will most likely discuss their initial bid after reset, other's will just bid on where they think is a "best fit" for their faction and a guess on where the other's will go based on past land holdings)

Some of the Larger factions have no desire to HAVE to steam roll baby factions to get to a "real" fight. People will just get even more bored b:surrender

And in terms of the 3v3, I just lol'd b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • lordhanzo
    lordhanzo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm saying no to this.. but we'll see what will happens..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm on Heavens Tear!
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I like the idea of resetting every 6 months.

I'm glad this game is finally setting in the right direction, I feel very positive about it now.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Say goodbye to competitive TWs. It's just going to be big factions crystal walking tiny factions for 6 months.

It does take at least 6 months for the major players to emerge. The first 3 months of a map reset are never competitive wars.

Well no one is obligating the big factions to fight the noobs. You can always go directly to the area of another opponent if you want a real fight. It's all up to the factions to make wars fun or boring.