Merching Challenge

Options
Zenorx - Harshlands
Zenorx - Harshlands Posts: 443 Arc User
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in some kind of event where, you start a new server, start from scratch no csing or getting given coins etc and seeing how much you can merchant in one month.

Would be kinda cool IMO and I would do it
Post edited by Zenorx - Harshlands on

Comments

• Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Starting from scratch...you can probably grind more than you can merch for quite a while.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You would need to find a lot of people willing to play, or it's just going to be merchanters merchanting to merchanters.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    - Grind with an OP class that is cheap (veno)
    - Put all money into hypers to level to 100 faster
    - Farm till you can actually merchant
    - Month 1 over

b:surrender

Either something like start with 100mil or longer duration would be better. :D
  • Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide
    Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Solandris VS Warren VS Roidabuse
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Meh the players that can really excel don't just merchant or farm, they do both.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in some kind of event where, you start a new server, start from scratch no csing or getting given coins etc and seeing how much you can merchant in one month.

Gotta have money to make money. I would of said, "Give everyone 1 mil and see how much they can make from that in lets say, 1 month". But starting with nothing?:
    Starting from scratch...you can probably grind more than you can merch for quite a while.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Krisnda wrote: »

Gotta have money to make money. I would of said, "Give everyone 1 mil and see how much they can make from that in lets say, 1 month". But starting with nothing?:

No you don't, you just need to be smart and know your customers.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• ICasTBiDS - Raging Tide
    ICasTBiDS - Raging Tide Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

you cant sell anything if you dont have anything.
    I make all my money off merching pack items.. eg. lvl 11 gems, lunar rings etc.
    sooo im not going back to square 1 lol. maybe have a merch challenge for who can merch the most in a month with what they already have. b:laughb:chuckle
  • krisnda
    edited January 2012
    Options

I know that, I'm a part-time merchant myself, I don't think you very much got my point, so I'll make an example:

You have a lv 1 cleric you just made, how do you start merchanting without any money/items/etc? How can you sell tokens, or rank badges if you don't even have any soft fur to sell?

b:bye
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I know that, I'm a part-time merchant myself, I don't think you very much got my point, so I'll make an example:

You have a lv 1 cleric you just made, how do you start merchanting without any money/items/etc? How can you sell tokens, or rank badges if you don't even have any soft fur to sell?

Start with DQ bank items from farming some and commence from there up to chi / mirages / tokens / other stuff.

BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

That just tells me you have no idea how to start being a merchant, no offense. The answer to your question is a easy one, time and patience.

Here is a good example.
    1. Level up till you can use an pick axe.
    2. While farming for dq items while you level farm mats and herbs as well. There is your starting revenue. While you are at it make 2 accounts so you can have 1 catshop running while the other farms. When you are not farming, use the other as a catshop to for the mats/herbs.
    3. This can go on and on till you can buy different times, 1k-year lees, tokens ect ect.

You would think that, but even if that was possible, you missed the whole point of merchanting. Anything you sell to the npc is potential profit down the drain.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Devoted - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    That just tells me you have no idea how to start being a merchant, no offense. The answer to your question is a easy one, time and patience.

Here is a good example.
    2. While farming for dq items while you level farm mats and herbs as well. There is your starting revenue. While you are at it make 2 accounts so you can have 1 catshop running while the other farms. When you are not farming, use the other as a catshop to for the mats/herbs.
    3. This can go on and on till you can buy different times, 1k-year lees, tokens ect ect.

You would think that, but even if that was possible, you missed the whole point of merchanting. Anything you sell to the npc is potential profit down the drain.

You realize everything people are saying is in the context of only having one month. A merchanting challenge shouldn't be decided by how well you gain the coins needed to merchant.
  • TheUnderLord - Lost City
    TheUnderLord - Lost City Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You realize everything people are saying is in the context of only having one month. A merchanting challenge shouldn't be decided by how well you gain the coins needed to merchant.

Thats right, its all about WHAT you do to multiply your wealth.
    "yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery....but today it is a gift, that is why it is called the present."

L.C. Merchantile Asset Management est.2010
    (pwinsider.wordpress.com)
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

Yes I do realize this, the problem is you may not. If you do not maximise your profits on the limited time you have, you can not win. Grinding for coins alone will not be enough.

If a merchant challenge is not about how well you gain coins, then what is it about?
    Do you know what merchanting is?
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • krisnda
    edited January 2012
    Options

Here is a good example.

Thanks for proving my point. Also, Traz, that is what I was talking about. :D
  • Manostra - Harshlands
    Manostra - Harshlands Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Too easy to manipulate and cheat
    I hate Room 38
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thanks for proving my point. Also, Traz, that is what I was talking about. :D

...You are arguing over semantics.

You, a Mod, just trolled this thread for that??? GG
  • Devoted - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yes I do realize this, the problem is you may not. If you do not maximise your profits on the limited time you have, you can not win. Grinding for coins alone will not be enough.

If a merchant challenge is not about how well you gain coins, then what is it about?
    Do you know what merchanting is?

It is how well you gain coins... there is a difference between gaining capital to be able to merchant and just merchanting. Right now the fastest way to gain that capital isn't from merchanting. Essentially you have a competition which is probably going to be decided by who can grind out those coins faster instead of actually comparing their merchanting ability.

Too easy to manipulate and cheat

From my understanding, no one would win anything. That isn't the point =/
  • krisnda
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hey, it's 2 am, I'm a person too believe it or not, I'm allowed to have fun (to an extent). b:chuckle
  • Michael - Harshlands
    Michael - Harshlands Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You could do it, but the issue becomes on the current servers you need some form of capital to start with or you have to farm/grind coins in some manner, I mean on a completely fresh server I could powerlevel people from 60-8x in 2-3 days for large amounts of coins to get captial (used to take 5 days to hit 60 back when HL came out but we didnt have hypers then now it takes like 2 days if you use hypers well).

The point is what timeframe of server are you talking about

Just Starting (farming/powerleveling is way better money than merching although merching will still provide profit)

Established (lots of tt60-70 players, merching is more viable here as you can buy and resell items alot easier, but farming and powerleveling is still amazing money)

Well Established (lots of TT90 players, once again merching is even more viable, as you can merchant various items from tokens and people will buy them even at a slight markup, farming is still very good coin)

Strong (People getting nirvana gears etc, merching is very easy with some capital you can turn 20mill into 200 mill in just a few days, farming is also great money if your geared for it)

End Game (farming is slower than merching)
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

Would be kinda cool IMO and I would do it
    warrenwolfy from pwi insider did that once. its on his blog.
    its not the span of 1month tho cause he forgot about it sometimes >>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    you need to add some heaves csers to that server to supply some gold, or else merching will be tough
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • Flamespirit - Dreamweaver
    Flamespirit - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think Merchants are a plague upon pwi. The negatively affectthe price of items for those who actually want to play the game by killing stuff.

Merchant 1 buys all the tokens an puts them for sale. Then merchant 2 buys them all from merchant 1 an marks them up 10%. Then merchant 3 does the same thing. Before too long the price is so high that the player must do without because the item has been inflated so that only merchants can buy it.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think Merchants are a plague upon pwi. The negatively affectthe price of items for those who actually want to play the game by killing stuff.

Merchant 1 buys all the tokens an puts them for sale. Then merchant 2 buys them all from merchant 1 an marks them up 10%. Then merchant 3 does the same thing. Before too long the price is so high that the player must do without because the item has been inflated so that only merchants can buy it.

A merchant who buys the stock of another merchant is a fool. Unless the first merchant is selling at near- or below-cost.

Also, what you're suggesting doesn't work in practice: there is a point after which people simply won't buy your stock. And since all items have other ways to get into circulation, it's impossible to effectively monopolize a popular market.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Willbert - Dreamweaver
    Willbert - Dreamweaver Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

If you do not have a hallow over your head. then may I suggest you gtfo of this forum. delete your handle and your game toon and find another place to play holier then though.. troll.b:angry
  • Zenorx - Harshlands
    Zenorx - Harshlands Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

It doesn't work like that

Derp
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

tisk tisk..and epic false.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

That is definitely NOT how it works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

actually, i dont think you do
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If you do not have a hallow over your head. then may I suggest you gtfo of this forum. delete your handle and your game toon and find another place to play holier then though.. troll.b:angry

Halo, not hallow
    A comma after head instead of a period
    A question mark at the end of forum instead of a period
    Capital "D" on delete
    A comma after toon, since you seem to be going for a compound sentence
    Holier than thou, not holier then though

You might want to look up the definition of troll as well.

Now please, nerd rage more b:bye