Ring Engraving Guide

Vindis - Dreamweaver
Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
edited November 2012 in The Crafting Nook
Ring Engraving is a way to add a random effect to your ring. This effect may be anything from +1 physical attack to something actually useful like +dexterity or +hp. You are only allowed to have 1 engravement bonus per ring (unless stated otherwise) and rank rings are also eligible for engravement.

Amulet Carving is a new feature added in the Sirens of War expansion (version 676). Information regarding this feature can be found below, in the section labeled 'Amulet Carving'.

Getting started:

First find the nearest 'Jewelcraftsman' NPC in Archosaur or any city. Select 'Ring Engraving'. A list will show up where you may choose the level of engraving you wish to place on a ring. You may view the random stat adds while hovering over each level or in the links below.

To engrave a ring you will need several materials which will be covered below. Keep in mind, each engravement is random and you are able to re-engrave rings, but it will overwrite the old engravement.

Example: You engrave a ring with +20 Physical attack. You re-engrave and lose that +20 physical attack and now you have +6 strength. You can then re-engrave over that +6 strength and you could get something like +metal resistance. It is totally random. It may take you several tries to get that +stat you want. The upside to this is that engraving is not a one time thing, making engraving very similar to refinement.

Materials needed:

Two materials needed are the commonly found Perfect Stone and Mirage Celestone. They can be purchased from various catshops, AH or farmed in several instances (Perfect Stones from chests at the end of FC; Mirages from Fairy Boxes in TT).

There are also three new materials that are needed to engrave a ring. One is Spectral Polish which is obtainable from any Jewelcraftsman NPC for the price of 10,500 coins. Another is Uncanny Ore which is obtainable with tokens through trade with a PW boutique agent (right next to hyper stones). 15 tokens gives you 3 ores. As of patch 560 Uncanny Ore is unable to be traded. The best way to make use of excess ore would be to engrave another ring. The third material needed for levels 8 and 9 of engravement is Ancient Emblem. Information regarding that shall be listed below.

Keep in mind, engraving levels 1 through 6 are available at any Jewelcraftsman NPC in Archosaur.
As of patch version 589 engravement is now available at all Jewelcraftsman NPCs.

Ring Engraving material requirements (Click the engraving links to view possible stat adds):

Engraving 1: Requires a lvl 3+ ring

1 Perfect Stone
1 Spectral Polish

Engraving 2: Requires a lvl 4+ ring

5 Perfect Stones
2 Spectral Polish

Engraving 3: requires a lvl 5+ ring

1 Mirage Celestone
3 Spectral Polish

Engraving 4: requires a lvl 9+ ring

1 Mirage Celestone
5 Spectral Polish
1 Uncanny Ore

Engraving 5: requires a lvl 10+ ring

1 Mirage Celestone
10 Spectral Polish
3 Uncanny Ore

Engraving 6: requires a lvl 11+ ring

1 Mirage Celestone
25 Spectral Polish
6 Uncanny Ore

Engraving 8 and 9 are available at the Forges located near Faction Base Entrance in (East) Archosaur. These levels require a new item called Ancient Emblems. They are attainable from Cosmos packs. Level 9 has a 95% chance of giving 1 stat and a 5% chance of giving 2 stats.

Engraving 8 (Superb): requires a lvl 11+ ring

1 Mirage Celestone
15 Uncanny Ore
1 Ancient Emblem

Engraving 9 (Immaculate): requires a lvl 11+ ring

1 Mirage Celestone
30 Uncanny Ore
3 Ancient Emblem

Amulet Carving

As of patch 676, Sirens of War expansion has added Amulet Carving to our +stat adding needs. This type of Engravement is not for rings, but instead for necklaces. You can find this new feature at the 'Contemplation Forge' in the North District of Archosaur (549, 675). Select 'Amulet Carving' from the forge to begin. First let us cover the new materials required for this feature:

Materials needed:

Spectral Polish and Uncanny Ore are materials you should be familiar with (described above). The two new materials are Supply Tokens and Seals of War.

Supply Tokens are obtainable through the new Nation Wars feature which is a capture the flag like pvp instance implemented with the last patch. The event takes place at 20:20-22:20 server time and more information on it can be obtained here.

Seals of War are crafted at the 'Contemplation Forge' from Supply Tokens. To craft one Seal of War you will need 50 Supply Tokens and 1,312,500 coin (1.32mil). Now that the costs are out of the way we can look to the mats and stats :D

Amulet Carving material requirements (click the carving links for possible stat adds):

Raw Jade: Self Cultivation (7) (randomly adds 1 stat) requires lvl 11+ neck

10 Spectral Polish
10 Uncanny Ore
14 Supply Tokens

Raw Jade: Family Management (8) (randomly adds 2 stats) requires lvl 12+ neck

100 Spectral Polish
100 Uncanny Ore
40 Supply Tokens
2 Seals of War

Raw Jade: Country Ruler (9) (randomly adds 3 stats)
requires lvl 14+ neck

500 Spectral Polish
500 Uncanny Ore
200 Supply Tokens
10 Seals of War

Pwdatabase link w/ the % chances for each add on. Amulet Carving is mistakenly labelled engraving at the bottom.

Author note:

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your engraving! ;D

Update: 11/27, I have added information about Amulet Carving from the new expansion.

Special thanks:

to Asterelle, as usual.

to WangZi and badazmofo from DW server.

Tempest, Dynasty and the rest of Dramaweaver for making PWI fun again.

The archer forum

Special thanks to PWI development team for turning my once peaceful afk area of North arch into a mass dc area of doom. <3

And Thanks to players like you for using my guide. Hope it has been helpful, see you on Dramaweaver.

~Vindis
Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
Post edited by Vindis - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• DaRkYuYo - Dreamweaver
    DaRkYuYo - Dreamweaver Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    first XD
    i sooo need this for my veno so cool, i might try this feature laterb:victory
    b:chuckleb:pleasedb:laugh
    beer and cigs makes me play pwi even more :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bosk - Sanctuary
    Bosk - Sanctuary Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Nice guide.

One thing you might mention is that the Uncanny Ore cannot be traded or sold once it has been made from 15 Perfect Tokens of Luck. This is probably fine for level 10+ and 11+ engravings, as the ores needed is a multiple of three, however for the level 9+ engraving, it means you will need to use 15 tokens just to get the one ore you need, while the other two ores will be left over. The only way you can get the value of the lost 10 tokens is to engrave other rings (or re-engrave your first ring).

*PWI DEVS*

Why not make the ratio 5 tokens for 1 uncanny ore?

If not that, then at least make the uncanny ores trade enabled like almost everything else that can be exchanged for tokens. (The only other thing I know of that cannot be traded is the Supply Stash.)

Good Luck!
    Dante: "Cute is a relative term."
  • bunbuns1
    bunbuns1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Thank you very much :)b:victory
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2011
    Nice guide.

One thing you might mention is that the Uncanny Ore cannot be traded or sold once it has been made from 15 Perfect Tokens of Luck. This is probably fine for level 10+ and 11+ engravings, as the ores needed is a multiple of three, however for the level 9+ engraving, it means you will need to use 15 tokens just to get the one ore you need, while the other two ores will be left over. The only way you can get the value of the lost 10 tokens is to engrave other rings (or re-engrave your first ring).

Thanks, I guess I didn't notice at first since I was engraving +10 and +11 rings.

I'll make a note of it in the original post. Thanks ;D
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

• krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited September 2011
    This would warrant a sticky if you included the stats you can get on each level of engraving.b:mischievous

EDIT: And I failed... shoulda clicked the links (maybe you can add that to your post).

Stickied!
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    This would warrant a sticky if you included the stats you can get on each level of engraving.b:mischievous

EDIT: And I failed... shoulda clicked the links (maybe you can add that to your post).

Stickied!

Thanks Kritty. And yeah, at first I wasn't going to bother with it, but I decided screenshots worked out nicely compared to a list format and wasn't nearly as time consuming either.

Retired from PWI.

• eviltorment
    eviltorment Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    so if you actually do this and get a really **** status like evasion on a magic ring. Is there a way to remove it and try again. +37 evasion on a magic ring is what I call ****
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2011
    so if you actually do this and get a really **** status like evasion on a magic ring. Is there a way to remove it and try again. +37 evasion on a magic ring is what I call ****

Yes, if you just re-engrave it overwrites the old engravement. Like an example, I got +wood defense on my rank ring the first time, then I did it again and got +1% phys reduction, then I kept going and eventually got something I was left satisfied with (+dex).

It may take a while until you get an add you are happy with.

Retired from PWI.

• Eilexa - Heavens Tear
    Eilexa - Heavens Tear Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Nice guide, well done b:victory
    "Care Bear" b:chuckle

Proud member of Drakon - forever !! RAWR
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Just a heads up in a few months they are adding 2 more levels of engraving:

http://w2i.wanmei.com/news/gamenews/20110923/62368.shtml

These levels will let you get 2 stats instead of one so you could get Dex+11 twice for 22 dex. Pretty hawt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    thats going to be expensive 0.o
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2011
    Just a heads up in a few months they are adding 2 more levels of engraving:

http://w2i.wanmei.com/news/gamenews/20110923/62368.shtml

These levels will let you get 2 stats instead of one so you could get Dex+11 twice for 22 dex. Pretty hawt.

Thanks Asterelle. I figured the feature would eventually be expanded upon. Nice seeing the 2 stats thing. The combinations will be fun to try out, though likely costly.

Large coin sink is large xD

Retired from PWI.

• Aasaf - Sanctuary
    Aasaf - Sanctuary Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Thank you for the guide :). Is there a place where i can find the probability of getting each addon, or are they are equally likely to occur?
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    Thank you for the guide :). Is there a place where i can find the probability of getting each addon, or are they are equally likely to occur?

In my experience it is completely random. I'm sure there are various % chances that someone can probably find in a file or test out, but I myself will be doing no such thing.

I've semi-quit until at least the next major content update, but I should be updating this guide still. Hope you all are still enjoying engraving and other things in pwi ^^

Retired from PWI.

• Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2011
    Hi, added some new stuff about the new engravement levels. I could use help from the community gathering information on the new levels of engravement, possible price points on Emblems, and other information.

Retired from PWI.

edited November 2011
    Level 9 has a 95% chance of giving 1 stat and a 5% chance of giving 2 stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2011
    Level 9 has a 95% chance of giving 1 stat and a 5% chance of giving 2 stats.

ty Asty ^^

added.

Retired from PWI.

• Lunnark - Sanctuary
    Lunnark - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I noticed it first in-game and then in this guide: where is the level 7 engraving? Or why is it not available?

To add to the confusion pwdatabase.com lists 2 sheets of level 6 engraving, one of which has different bonuses and material requirements than the other level "6".

I am asking because I am aiming for maximum STR on my ring engraving without using emblems which I cannot afford right now or in short term future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    I noticed it first in-game and then in this guide: where is the level 7 engraving? Or why is it not available?

To add to the confusion pwdatabase.com lists 2 sheets of level 6 engraving, one of which has different bonuses and material requirements than the other level "6".

I am asking because I am aiming for maximum STR on my ring engraving without using emblems which I cannot afford right now or in short term future.

I'm not quite sure to be honest.

I noticed this as well, and assumed it was some type of error. I guess it just got translated like that.

To the best of my knowledge, +7 is the highest you can obtain without the use of Emblems.

Retired from PWI.

edited March 2012
    If you haven't noticed pwdb has a very good page on this which gives all the rates

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/engravement
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    If you haven't noticed pwdb has a very good page on this which gives all the rates

Thanks Ast. I'll add a link to it.

Retired from PWI.

• violetvalor
    violetvalor Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Just curious, the picture you show for the possible Engraving 6 stats does not match the stats shown in the pwdatabase link. Has an update changed which engraving level gives which stats?

EDIT: Ok, so actually pwdatabase gives two sections for Engraving 6. But the two also require different mats. So I guess the game understands what you want based on the mats you have?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    There's two places you can engrave, a jewelcraftsman or one of the forges by the Arch faction base manager. That's the difference between the two Engraving 6 sections; one's for the jewelcraftsman, one for the forge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2012
    Note to self that this guide will need updating if/when the new Ring Engraving comes over from China.

Credit to Asterelle for information.

Retired from PWI.

• Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Guide update. I have added Amulet Carving and tweaked a few other things as well.

If I am missing out on anything else new please feel free to inform me.

A request to VenusArmanio or another moderator, if you would be so kind as to change the guide name from 'Ring Engraving Guide' to 'Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide', I would be most thankful.

If someone can supply the links to the pwdatabase information for Amulet Carving I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Retired from PWI.

edited November 2012
    If someone can supply the links to the pwdatabase information for Amulet Carving I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

It's mistakenly called ring engraving though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012

It's mistakenly called ring engraving though.

Thanks Ast, no wonder I couldn't find it lol.

Retired from PWI.