~Rare Pet Guide~

Kinnacat - Lost City
Kinnacat - Lost City Posts: 229 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Venomancer
Hi there venos!

I was very surprised to see that there is no guide on rare pets. I noticed quite a few questions about them over time, so I decided to give it a try and make a guide of my own. This is my first try, so I would love to have some comments and suggestions. b:cute Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong. We're all human and we all make mistakes! If my guide helped you, please let me know.

There is so much information, I unfortunately don't know it all. If you know the information, please help me fill in the blanks. On the bottom of the guide, I'll note my thanks to those who help me fill them in. b:thanks

#1: What is a rare pet?

A rare pet is a tamable venomancer pet that only spawns once every 12 hours, at a specific spot. Only one rare pet will spawn per spawn point. Once it has spawned, the rare pet will run a specific path over and over again until it is tamed, or killed.

#2: Spawn times

As said above, they spawn once every 12 hours. To be more precise, a rare pet will spawn 12 afters after being killed or tamed. Ie: The rare pet was tamed/killed at 1:15 am, it will spawn again at 1:15 PM. The spawn times will reset after each server maintenance. They usually spawn 6 hours after the server maintenance has been completed.

#3: List of rare pets & number of spawn points

Frogling

Level: 9

3 spawn points: 245 571 / 239 549 / 196 513

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/Frogling-1.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/FroglingGrowthChart-1.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snow Hare

Level: 20

1 hour respawn: 469 921
12 hours respawn: 95 810

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/SnowHare-1.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/SnowHareGrowthChart-2.jpg

*This pet is not considered very rare, since he spawns every hour.

Tabby Plumdrop

2 spawn points: 362 690 / 397 619

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/TabbyPlumdrop-1.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/TabbyPlumdropGrowthChart-2.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shaodu Cub

2 spawn points: 200 452 / 288 458

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/ShaoduCub-1.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/ShaoduCubGrowthChart-1.jpg

Windwalking Piggy

Level: 30

1 spawn point: 403 643

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/WindwalkingPiggy.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/WindwalkingPiggyGrowthChart-2.jpg

*This pet is a bit tricky to tame. It spawns at a different altitude each time, which is approximatively ~38.

Cuddly Pup

Level: 40

2 spawn points: 299 764 / 315 753 (?)

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/CuddlyPup-1.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/CuddlyPupGrowthChart-1.jpg

(?) Apparently, there are 2 spawn points, but I only ever saw him spawn at one.

Kowlin

Level: 60

1 spawn point: 462 427

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/Kowlin-1.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/KowlinGrowthChart-1.jpg

*The Kowlin spawns in the safe zone of King's Feast. This one is also a bit tricky to tame, since it's very fast. It will run out of safe zone quickly, so watch out for potential pkers!

Armored Bear

Level: 80

1 spawn point: 628 624

Image: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/ArmoredBear-1.jpg

Growth Chart: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kitipaw/PWI/ArmoredBearGrowthChart-2.jpg

*Yes, the Armored Bear spawns on top of a high moutain north-east of Archosaur! It's also a tricky pet to tame, since he teleports. Before he teleports, he will simply run in very tight circles on the top of the mountain. I don't know exactly why or when, but at some point, he will teleport over the water and run around the region of The Village of Naught.

Derjan's Ancient Hatchling

Level: 101

3 spawn points:362 544 / 346 528 / 354 538

Image: TBD

Growth chart: TBD

Note: This is a special rare pet. It's respawn will randomly be either 24 hours or 48 hours. It also doesn't spawn at all 3 spawn points per time like the other rares. It spawns at one of them randomly.

#4: What is the best use for each pet?

Frogling:

Used as a magic tank because of high magic defense. (based on growth chart)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snow Hare:

Also used as a magic tank because of high magic defense. (based on growth chart)

Tabby Plumdrop:

The Tabby Plumdrop is a debuffing type of pet. It comes with a physical and magical debuff. This cute little cat has a good balance bewteen the damage dealt, HP, defense, and speed.

Shaodu Cub:

With a lot of HP and defense, this polar bear cub is made for tanking. It's normal that the damage it deals is lower.

Windwalking Piggy:

With high HP and defence, this pet is also made for tanking.

Cuddly Pup:

The pup can be used as a puller because of it's speed, as a DDer because of it's high attack and Bash skill, as a debuffer, since he has Slow (reduces speed) and Threaten (reduces physical attack) as skills. (based on growth chart)

Kowlin:

Lower HP and defense, but very high speed and damage. This panther is made for pulling, DDing and debuffing. Even though it has low HP and defense, which makes it die quickly, it's speed saves it when pulling. If you find your kowlin dies too quickly, I suggest adding Tough to your pet's skills. At lvl 5, Tough will reduce the damage tanken by 50% for 15 seconds, which is more than enough for a good pull.

Armored Bear:

This bear is also made for tanking because it's high HP and defense.

Note 1: If you find your taking pet has trouble holding agro, I suggest adding Bash to it's skills. At lvl 5, Bash will deal 200% of pet's base physical damage. This skill also has a cooldown of 8 seconds, which is relatively fast, and generates enough damage to hold agro decently.

Note 2: Some ppl think a specific rare pet is useless. Ie: Kowlin. They want a tank pet, so they say the Kowlin is useless, which is absolutely false. As said above, the Kowlin is a puller & damage dealer, not a tank. Before saying a pet is useless, think of which kind of pet you want. Do you want a DDer? A tank? A debuffer? A puller? After answering that question, chose your pet according to his strong point.

Derjan's Ancient Hatchling

This rare pet comes with some common level 1 skills. It's attack as well as it's attack rate (1 APS, highest land dps pet) are it's strong points, obviously making it a great DD.

#5: Tips & Tricks

1- Yes, taming is an art! Don't get discouraged after your first few tries. Like in real life, you need practice, and practice makes perfect. Here's a tip: Never give up, never lose hope, work for what you want, it will come to you. =3

2- Gear that speeds up your channeling:

You can find sleeves, weapons, elemental necklaces and belts that have -3% or -6% channeling, sometimes both. Don't get confused with the -. It simply means it will reduce the time you take to channel your skills by 3% or 6%.

3- Pots that speed up your channeling:

You can also find pots that make your channeling faster. Ie: Windrage Incense, usable starting at lvl 45. This pot will double your channeling speed for the next 5 seconds. It disappears after you used it, like any other pot.

4- Gem that speeds up your channeling:

There is also a gem, called Stone of the Savant, which you can imbue to your weapon to add an extra -3% channeling. Be careful, if you imbue it in any other piece of equipment, you will gain 10 Vitality, not -3% channeling.

#6: Prices

On my server, they used to be 600k+. Prices dropped over time for various reasons. I still recommend these prices:

Frogling: 200k

Snow Hare: 20k

Tabby Plumdrop: 600k

Shaodu Cub: 600k

Windwalking Piggy: 600k

Cuddly Pup: 600k

Kowlin: 750k

Armored Bear: 800k

Note: Prices may vary from server to server. This is what they are worth on Lost City server, even though some sell them for a lot less. They aren't that expensive for nothing, getting them is not easy.

I hope my guide helped you out. b:pleased

~kinna

Special thanks to:

~My best friend, who was the first to read my guide and proof read it. =3
~bekkamain
~Mayfly - for the information on the Derjan's Ancient Hatchling
Post edited by Kinnacat - Lost City on

Comments

• Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    #5: Prices

On my server, they used to be 600k+. Prices dropped because of noobs taming them and not knowing what they're worth. They also dropped because ppl are impatient. They want to sell them NOW. Prices are giving me a heart attack now... When I see a rare I used to sell for 500k-600k for 94k in AH to buy now, it hurts... x.x;

Of course prices drop after a long while. Every day there are like a couple new rare pets on your server, so the amount of rare pets increases. At some point most of veno's already have their rare pet who wanted one or they want to get rid of it. So you get new and old rare pets in auction.

It's not noobs who set the price low, it's just that people can't get rid of their rare pet otherwise. Besides, rare pets are really not that great.

I got the cuddly pup since it's cute and has decent skills, but the other pets are trash. Kowlin would be good for pulling, but having the cactus for ranged pulling is much better. As for the polar bear, they could tank a bit, but they can't keep aggro for ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    Of course prices drop after a long while. Every day there are like a couple new rare pets on your server, so the amount of rare pets increases. At some point most of veno's already have their rare pet who wanted one or they want to get rid of it. So you get new and old rare pets in auction.

It's not noobs who set the price low, it's just that people can't get rid of their rare pet otherwise. Besides, rare pets are really not that great.

I got the cuddly pup since it's cute and has decent skills, but the other pets are trash. Kowlin would be good for pulling, but having the cactus for ranged pulling is much better. As for the polar bear, they could tank a bit, but they can't keep aggro for ****.

Read the note at #4.

Actually, the amount of rare pets decreased with the years. Since noobs and impatient venos started selling them cheaper and cheaper, the venos for who taming was their way of making money started to quit. Why take the time and effort if the revenue is low? Furthermore, there's no logic in what you said. If you take the example of fashion, there are tones and tones of it on the market, surely more than rare pets. Fashion keeps getting more expensive, even though there's a lot of it. Since there are less rare pets, the prices should go up. It's sad to see that they don't.

Back in the day, you knew a rare pet would spawn at exactly the same time every time. If it was one minute late, ppl started to worry. Now, you never know if it will come because of the lack of venos who tame them. I haven't seen even close to as many rare pets on the market now as there were back then.

My tabby is far from being trash. b:angry Come watch her tank frost bosses and FB 19-89. Pet skills are upgradable and changeable. If your bear has trouble keeping agro, put bash and bleed on it. Bash and bleed generate enough dps to keep agro from sins at ~3 APS. Yes, I have experienced it. Tanking pets are made for taking, which means high HP and defense, but lower dmg. If you're not happy with the defenses of an armored bear/shaodu cub, put strong and protect on him. Yes, those skills are rare and cost quite some coin, but they're worth it. I OPed my tabby and her stats are surprisingly close to those of a herc her lvl. If you do the same with an armored bear, he'll be even closer, since his base defenses and HP are higher.

I would appreciate a nice comment or two about my guide. I've been working on it for several hours. b:sad
  • priestesskitsune
    priestesskitsune Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    (nice comment) b:victory
  • bekkamain
    bekkamain Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    The Frog is used as a magic tank since it has high mag def
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Prices for rare pets vary from server to server. On the dreamweaver server they are more expensive than that, the kowlin sometimes reaching 2mil. It's mostly due to the fact that we have high lvl venos killing off the rare pets when their tame fails. Lately many venos go straight for the herc/nix now, especially when that pack was giving the automatic nixes to about every veno on the server. The only pet that dropped dramatically in price was the tabby plumdrop because it was so much cheaper to buy the all class one out of the pack than try to make one out of all the normal tabbys. So you lost a lot of profit on trying to make and sell the tabby.

Also, the spawn points can be autopathed to now because of the encyclopedia. No point in listing the coordinates.

Btw, I use my armored bear for tanking and lvled up his bash, he holds aggro perfectly fine. He isn't the herc, but he does just fine tanking bosses and TTs. I also love my cuddly pup to death. He is especially fun lvled up.

=D
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    Prices for rare pets vary from server to server. On the dreamweaver server they are more expensive than that, the kowlin sometimes reaching 2mil. It's mostly due to the fact that we have high lvl venos killing off the rare pets when their tame fails. Lately many venos go straight for the herc/nix now, especially when that pack was giving the automatic nixes to about every veno on the server. The only pet that dropped dramatically in price was the tabby plumdrop because it was so much cheaper to buy the all class one out of the pack than try to make one out of all the normal tabbys. So you lost a lot of profit on trying to make and sell the tabby.

Also, the spawn points can be autopathed to now because of the encyclopedia. No point in listing the coordinates.

Btw, I use my armored bear for tanking and lvled up his bash, he holds aggro perfectly fine. He isn't the herc, but he does just fine tanking bosses and TTs. I also love my cuddly pup to death. He is especially fun lvled up.

=D

Ty for the reminder, that's a little detail I left out. =] I didn't have much time to edit the guide, but I'll read it again and again to make it better. Also, what are you using your pup for? I never worked with a pup, that's why the info is missing. =[

Bleh, that sucks. Well, I'm old school, so I'm giving the coords! b:surrender

Yup, bash is really good for holding agro. ^.^ I love my tabby to death! b:cute
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    bekkamain wrote: »
    The Frog is used as a magic tank since it has high mag def

Thanks, that will go in my next edit! b:thanks
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Kowlin's also a good debuffer ^^
  • SweetSolace - Dreamweaver
    SweetSolace - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    kowlin on my server goes for 950k -1 mil and both dodo bears are at 800k otherwise the prices are about the same.
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Hi everyone!

It's been a few weeks since I've written and modified my guide. I noticed the increasing number of views, but unfortunately no nice comments. b:sad

My question is: Has my guide helped the veno community or is it just an other useless thread? Is it worthy of being stickied? b:surrender

Thanks in advance for your replies. b:thanks
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    It's yet another rare pet guide.

There's like twenty of them floating around.

They all boil down to:
    Rare pets are pretty good, but you can't have them because other higher level veno's with access to instant-channel powder will tame them first (or on PK servers will just kill you.)
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    honestly, i get most of my rare-pet advice from ecatomb and the wiki site. i more or less made up my mind on the things before you ever wrote your guide, really.

i got a tabby as a gift, and still haven't decided what to do with it; i'll level it up and see if its debuffs make it worth keeping as a puller. i wouldn't have bought one.

at 80, i'll buy an armored bear to use for a tank. hearing about your Aly has made me want to load it up with herc buffs, but that's more from your postings than from your guide.

if i'd got a shaodu cub ages ago, that would have likely been my tank all this time. but i didn't, and i'm not gonna level one up now.

i do keep thinking i should look up the heaven's tear rare pet prices and PM you them for your guide, but i keep forgetting to. sorry. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Kurushimii - Sanctuary
    Kurushimii - Sanctuary Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Kowlin's also a good debuffer ^^

So true b:cute thats why i leveled mine to 100 and maxed all skills b:dirty
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    It's yet another rare pet guide.

There's like twenty of them floating around.

They all boil down to:
    Rare pets are pretty good, but you can't have them because other higher level veno's with access to instant-channel powder will tame them first (or on PK servers will just kill you.)

I searched the forums before writing it and i didn't find any. If I had, I wouldn't have taken the time and money to write it. Could you link an example of those 20 guides?
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    honestly, i get most of my rare-pet advice from ecatomb and the wiki site. i more or less made up my mind on the things before you ever wrote your guide, really.

i got a tabby as a gift, and still haven't decided what to do with it; i'll level it up and see if its debuffs make it worth keeping as a puller. i wouldn't have bought one.

at 80, i'll buy an armored bear to use for a tank. hearing about your Aly has made me want to load it up with herc buffs, but that's more from your postings than from your guide.

if i'd got a shaodu cub ages ago, that would have likely been my tank all this time. but i didn't, and i'm not gonna level one up now.

i do keep thinking i should look up the heaven's tear rare pet prices and PM you them for your guide, but i keep forgetting to. sorry. b:sad

This guide is specifically for rare pets, not overpowering them. xD Small tip: if you want to OP your bear, I suggest keeping pounce, adding bash for agro, strong and protect for defense. It won't need the extra HP from blessing. ~.^

If you rather have a shaodu cub than an armored bear, I'm sure you can find a lvled one somewhere. I was lucky and grabbed a lvl 69 shaodu from AH for 300k at 23 hours left. xD

Np. I'm happy to see that someone actually wants to help me make my guide better. =3 Prices aren't that important, so don't worry about forgetting. Thanks though. b:thanks
  • Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I bought a level 80 shadou cub for 600k <3 So worth it, especially because I only needed to level it up 9 levels :) Once I went to tame the froggy and killed it by accident b:surrender Whoops. Another veno came along as I was staring at its lifeless corpse in shock and sadness and called me some rather mean names. But that's all in the past, and I don't ever really go out of my way to tame rare pets anymore :x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited July 2011

Most of your links are THREADS about rare pets, not guides. Also, the guides on these forums are mostly either incomplete, list ''rare pets'' that aren't rare pets, list false information, or talk only about baby pets.

Furthermore, the only link I agree to be a valid, complete guide, is the one on PW wiki. I wanted mine to be on these forums.

I would have appreciated a nice comment or two about my work, even though you find it useless. I won't let this bother me since you obviously think you must be right and I'm work and useless.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    No, I was just explaining that the reason I didn't comment was that it was yet another guide to pets.

And it seems like every venomancer who writes a guide writes a rare-pets guide. The wiki got swamped with them as soon as it opened. (the ones I linked are the ones that remain even after the great de-duplication cleanup)

So yes, it's probably a good rare pet guide. But it's a rare pet guide, so I don't care about it.
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    No, I was just explaining that the reason I didn't comment was that it was yet another guide to pets.

And it seems like every venomancer who writes a guide writes a rare-pets guide. The wiki got swamped with them as soon as it opened. (the ones I linked are the ones that remain even after the great de-duplication cleanup)

So yes, it's probably a good rare pet guide. But it's a rare pet guide, so I don't care about it.

You commented, in a negative way. I can take negative comments like ''there's a small mistake here'' and such, but I would appreciate it if you would stop with your kind of negativity.

Pets are a big part of being a veno. Every veno will write differently with new ideas depending on the time period. I see no harm, especially if it helps people out.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    And indeed I saw it, thought what I thought, and left the thread alone.

Until you wrote a post begging for comments, at which point I posted what I had previously not said.

If you had only wanted positive comments, you needed to say so. I can't read your mind.

On positive notes: It is well written and decently researched. So I look forwards to reading a guide from you on a subject which interests me and isn't redundant.
  • ravenleandra
    ravenleandra Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I caught my pure veno's Kowlin and just this morning i caught my fox la veno's kowlin and people saying kowlin has no use should l2play as with a fox veno they awesome dder's
    I got Golem for phys tanking Shaodu Cub for mag tanking kowlin for DD pulling.Killing stuff in like np with the kowlin before he even takes enough damage to die.Btw Golem with Recovery is kinda awesome on fox/la veno for healing b:pleased
  • MysticViewer - Heavens Tear
    MysticViewer - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Thanks to this guide I was able to tame my very first rare pet, the treefrog! It was only my second try too, thank you so much for taking the time to make this guide :) b:victory
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    *bump*

Hey there veno community! I noticed this kinda started collecting dust, so I decided to bump it. b:cute

I'm slightly shocked by previous posts. Please ignore those and just read the guide... hehe. b:surrender
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    *bump*

Hey there veno community! I noticed this kinda started collecting dust, so I decided to bump it.

I'm slightly shocked by previous posts. Please ignore those and just read the guide... hehe.
    OMG NECCROOO!!!!!!!

Kinnacat - Lost City replied to a message that was 1 year 17 days 4 hours 37 minutes old!
    This is like the worst possible thing you can do!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    I bumped this thread because it's a guide that I worked on for many hours in the past. The veno community obviously grew and I though this might help a few.

Please keep posts on-topic. Thanks.
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I bumped this thread because it's a guide that I worked on for many hours in the past. The veno community obviously grew and I though this might help a few.

Please keep posts on-topic. Thanks.

SweetieBot is the forum's new statistical analysis bot, as well as being a filly. b:chuckle

It's programmed to do many things, including finding necros. But seeing how this is a useful guide, I won't lock it.
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    SweetieBot is the forum's new statistical analysis bot, as well as being a filly.
    Yes.(5char)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The guide's a bit outdated due to the addition of the new untradable rare (Derjan's Ancient Hatchling) and the change in spawn cycle following Descent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    SweetieBot is the forum's new statistical analysis bot, as well as being a filly. b:chuckle

It's programmed to do many things, including finding necros. But seeing how this is a useful guide, I won't lock it.

I... oh. Wow. Didn't notice that hehe.

Btw, could a mod clean out the useless posts of this thread (including mine >.>;) and keep only those relative to the guide?
    The guide's a bit outdated due to the addition of the new untradable rare (Derjan's Ancient Hatchling) and the change in spawn cycle following Descent.

Ah, in that case, I'd love some input on that new information so I can update the guide. =]