Question for the GM's

/anguardian - Sanctuary
/anguardian - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
Question: Is it against the rules to have this name? Vanguardian was taken, so I chose \/anguardian. If so, I'll gladly delete it and try a new name. Please let me know before I put more time into it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tidebornisim - Raging Tide
    Tidebornisim - Raging Tide Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Yes it is.
    StickyGreen - Level 9x Heavens Tear

Less QQ more Pew Pew b:thanks
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I'd have to say it's not illegal but you might offend/annoy/confuse the hell out of Vanguardian.

*Edit*

I've always been curious, why is Sigmundr an unavailable name? I wanted that name when I started. : /
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    No it isn't
    (seriously)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • /anguardian - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    I'm gonna delete it anyways. It would be nice to get an official answer on this though. One said yes, one said no, and the other said it might be confusing.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I see nothing about that name that would be illegal. Seen plenty of names in the same situation . . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    dw has Ajay(eq leader) ajay(no idea) AJey(good friend in calamity) ajey(no idea) Ajey(no idea)

so there's no reason yours should be an issue
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Less than 3 days ago someone posted in General Discussion asking why their account was banned. Turns out the guy stole someone else's name and changed a lowercase "L" into an uppercase "I" which is very hard to differentiate in-game. This is impersonation and is in violation of the Terms of Service, which explains why the guy in question was banned.

10. User Content

You agree not to post, upload to, transmit, distribute, store, create or otherwise publish through the Site any of the following:

(d) User Content that impersonates any person or entity or otherwise misrepresents your affiliation with a person or entity;

11. User Conduct

Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 10 above, you agree not to take any of the following actions:

(b) Impersonate any person or entity, including any PWE officials, forum leaders, guides, hosts, employees or agents, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity

- - - - -

If the name is already taken, don't try to get around it with alternate symbols that make you indistinguishable from the original name or you are likely to be banned under the impersonation clause (it's already happened so those saying it's not illegal don't know what they're talking about).
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I thought they decided non-letter characters were illegal in names?

Not to mention \ as the first character of your name will throw a lot of code into fits since it's frequently used to denote a character which by itself would be interpreted as code rather than text. That's why your name on the boards is showing up as /anguardian instead of \/anguardian.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Your name's fine in regard to the rules :)
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Less than 3 days ago someone posted in General Discussion asking why their account was banned. Turns out the guy stole someone else's name and changed a lowercase "L" into an uppercase "I" which is very hard to differentiate in-game. This is impersonation and is in violation of the Terms of Service, which explains why the guy in question was banned.

If you do this deliberately to troll or to be malicious, yes, this is bannable. However, if you honestly take a name with such a change just because someone else took something similar, I expect that it would be just fine as long as the original correct name-holder is either inactive or not a recognizable individual.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I was gonna say this earlier but i didnt 'want to annoy you. Yet after what you've said to me on the other threads... are you a moron? Doing it to deliberately troll or harrass someone or even pretend to be THEM ya... but the rest of what you said.. it's fine if the original name holder isn't recognizable (or well known)?? wtf??

so basically you're saying it's alright as long as the original person isn't well known on the server? Yet if you're not famous on the server it's ok for people to make names so similar to yours people dont' know who's who? You can't play favorites, either it's wrong or it's not and since somone's already been banned... I'd say it's not.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Shouldn't the thread have ended right around here?
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    if it's fine then why was someone banned for using a lower case L instead of a I (or the other way around w/e)
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    There's a difference between having similar names and impersonation.

If I have some character named Warsoul and someone else names their character WarsouI, it's perfectly fine and good as long as they don't go around pretending to be me.

In contrast, if I have a character named Illya and someone names their character lllya, then goes around attempting to pretend to be me for whatever reason, THAT'S impersonation and bannable. OP wasn't going around trying to claim to be someone else, he merely wanted to get as close to the original name he wanted as was possible.
  • FapFapFap - Raging Tide
    FapFapFap - Raging Tide Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2010

If the name is already taken, don't try to get around it with alternate symbols that make you indistinguishable from the original name or you are likely to be banned under the impersonation clause (it's already happened so those saying it's not illegal don't know what they're talking about).

Well...

Now frankie, that's how it is b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • /anguardian - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the responses, and thanks for your response frankie. I don't like how it shows up as /anguardian either. The character has been deleted, well, in 6 days it will be :)