Confused about what to do...

Options
SunriseWind - Heavens Tear
SunriseWind - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Cleric
ok, I just turned lv50, have my wonderful new sword, and a head full of confusion. I have been told SO many different things, about how to best build, that I truly dont know what to do. i have been working on this alt for nearly a year now, doing more with her recently, and the higher she goes, the worse the mobs get in terms of physical damage, and the more time i wind up healing myself then sitting to let my mana fill up naturally (saving money then for moves, etc). But what priority should I be putting on what moves?

SOme have insisted that I only raise healing moves, never defense ones, and get others to do all my quests for me. My question is.....where do I find these wonderful, altruistic players? certainly none have existed in any groups I have been in before now! and I cant ask my family members who play to take their limeted play time to do my quests, not getting their own done, even if they wanted to (which they dont).

Other people have told me to only put a limited amount of healing moves on, and concentrate on being able to do my own quests, that "later you will be able to level your healing". When is later? here I am, level 50, and still useless for doing my own quests, and no one wants me for lower quests because I dont have the big group buffs....I dont even know when those come!

I *really* need some help and ideas on how to proceed...Please?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wear a coat of angels' breath and
warm myself with God's love.
~Emme Woodhull-B
Post edited by SunriseWind - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    What do you mean by moves?You mean attributes look at the guide at the top as for that sword it is good one.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • SunriseWind - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Options
    i mean skills, like the healing skills, the fighting ones like plume shot, the protective skills.

yes, I know the sword is a good one- I still have the one that my veno used, and plan to build an Endless Ambiguity for her, soon as I can get the mats for it.

What do you mean by moves?You mean attributes look at the guide at the top as for that sword it is good one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~Emme Woodhull-B
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    You heal up with ironheartblessing, wellspringsurge and purify when needed.Your main attacks are plumeshot,great cyclone and wield thunder in order of preference.Then you got you buffs of celestial guardian seal,vangaurd spirit,magic shell and spirits gift.

You cast ironheart before your attacks and in between attacks.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    If i understand right, you have trouble picking skills cause you cant do your quests alone.
    First let me ask you did you max out Plume Shot, Great Cyclone and Iron Heart Blessing? Those 3 are the ones you need for solo questing.
    In addition you need some buffs starting with Vanguard Spirit, Magic Shell, Spirit's Gift.
    Have those on a decent level and here you go, you can solo every quests (except bosses)!!!
    b:dirty
  • brantanor
    brantanor Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It seems a lot of clerics have trouble with going with a certain build or deciding what skills to use.

Personally i went with arcane build with a base stat of 50 vit for survivability.

The arcane armor of your lvl will give you enough resistance for the mobs, but you do tend to get hit harder by melees because your base Pdef is low compared to other chars.

In order to compensate that you can put Pdef shards into your sockets to up that a bit, OR you can use certain skills to decrease the damage you take.

For me, i maxed out plume shell (80% dmg absorbed by mana), and i use Pdef ornaments when facing melee mobs.

IF however you are concerned about mana usage, then either invest in focus powders and sesames, or max out your attacks to take down the mobs faster.

A cleric shouldn't just depend on others to do their quests, unless it's FB/BH/TT etc...

My own skill build allows me to solo (maxed out plumeshot & cyclone & plumeshell), and party well with others (maxed out buffs + RB/BB).

Also, after lvl 50 (even before if you prefer it) you should get rezz maxed asap. For some bosses, get your purify to at least lvl 5.(Should be enough for Krimson).

Another tip :

I see a lot of people with genies...that they do NOT use !b:shocked
    Genies imo are part of the gameplay, and they are usable both soloing and partying. I chose to go with a soloskill genie, using a dmg decrease, crit increase, heal and silence melee skill. I must say, my genie saved my life several times and comes in handy when facing tough melee/archer mobs.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    SOme have insisted that I only raise healing moves, never defense ones, and get others to do all my quests for me.
    First of all never listen to the noob thats telling you to have all your quests done by others. They just planted you the seed of noob. If you dont learn to solo these quests how on EARTH do you think youll gain enough SP to upgrade these skills. If you lacking huge in SP then this is part of the reason.

My question is.....where do I find these wonderful, altruistic players?
    in lala land
    certainly none have existed in any groups I have been in before now! and I cant ask my family members who play to take their limeted play time to do my quests, not getting their own done, even if they wanted to (which they dont).
    Imagine yourself 10-20 lvls later, and ask yourself this: Are you willing to do grinding quests for others that are 10-20 lvls below you?
    Other people have told me to only put a limited amount of healing moves on, and concentrate on being able to do my own quests, that "later you will be able to level your healing". When is later? here I am, level 50, and still useless for doing my own quests, and no one wants me for lower quests because I dont have the big group buffs....I dont even know when those come!

I *really* need some help and ideas on how to proceed...Please?
    I learned my group buffs like in later 60s. Honestly whoever is leaving you out because you dont have group buffs are noobies (even high lvls) who have been pampered silly. If i were a melee id be more worried about how a cleric heals and debuffs than a once-in-30min-buff

prio these around the same rate:
    Great Cyclone
    Iron Heart Blessing
    Plume Shot

then:
    Vanguard Spirit

then:
    Magic Shell
    Spirit's Gift

all of these spells should only be 1-2 lvls apart if at all, and should be upgraded at a balanced rate. These are the main skills. If you prio one too high you will gimp the other and you dont want that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I agree with everything that Deceptistar stated, except that I am also a fan of WellSpring. A quick instant heal (essentially) if needed after finishing with a mob. Also, Plume Shell because it absorbs physical damage.

Also remember, you HAVE to learn how to do quests and kill mobs on your own. It will teach you basic survival skills. Later on, you will need these skills for different instances.

Just wait, I think that you will be surprised at what Clerics can do. We are not just heal slaves. We can tank quite a few bosses and be great DD's. But this is only if you learn the basics of how to survive on your own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

Just wait, I think that you will be surprised at what Clerics can do. We are not just heal slaves. We can tank quite a few bosses and be great DD's. But this is only if you learn the basics of how to survive on your own.

thats just silly, you forgot to mention how dam smexi we look, well.. me anyways. You are "ok" i guess.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    thats just silly, you forgot to mention how dam smexi we look, well.. me anyways. You are "ok" i guess.

Would not know Bob as I have not seen you recently on-game b:surrender

But yes, us Clerics are super cute b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I maxed out cyclone, plume shot, ironheart blessing and all the buffs ( don't remember when ) Celestial guardian is only for those that have the time to sit down and meditate, or stand up and don't do much. Plume shell is usually necessary in dire situations, more in PvP than in PvE with a competent squad. I try to be a valuable support cleric that can solo quests as well. My build was 6mag,1str,3vit then some 7mag, 1str,2 vit levels and some 8mag,1str,1vit, now that I have 73 vit, 39 str and 243 mag without equip bonus. I'm going with 9mag and 1str, maybe a few 8mag,1str,1vit levels.

I've been able to solo easily so far. I neglected stream of rejuvenation and the aoe heal for now, their uses are limited most of the times. Blessing of the purehearted I still kept at 1, since it's use is very limited with people losing HP quickly around you. If you are sure of what kind of Cleric you wish to be, either get your important heals up or all of your offensive skills. The most important heals are Ironheart blessing and wellspring surge, after that probably stream of rejuvenation and chromatic healing beam. A reasonable wellspring surge is preferred over a Ironheart if the target is very low on hp, either cast it 2-3 times and stack a IH on it and don't listen to people who tell you it's worthless, since it takes a few second(s) before IH starts to kick in. The AoE heal has a very limited use since most people run out of it's range most of the time before you are done casting it and the stream of rejuvenation has a pretty long casting time.

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/The_IceDrakes_Full_Cleric_Guide Take a look at that guide. It's pretty solid.
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I've been able to solo easily so far. I neglected stream of rejuvenation and the aoe heal for now, their uses are limited most of the times. Blessing of the purehearted I still kept at 1, since it's use is very limited with people losing HP quickly around you. If you are sure of what kind of Cleric you wish to be, either get your important heals up or all of your offensive skills. The most important heals are Ironheart blessing and wellspring surge, after that probably stream of rejuvenation and chromatic healing beam. A reasonable wellspring surge is preferred over a Ironheart if the target is very low on hp, either cast it 2-3 times and stack a IH on it and don't listen to people who tell you it's worthless, since it takes a few second(s) before IH starts to kick in. The AoE heal has a very limited use since most people run out of it's range most of the time before you are done casting it and the stream of rejuvenation has a pretty long casting time.

As far as Chromatic Healing Beam is concerned, that's more for bosses where people aren't moving much b:surrender I use it fairly often, but even then it doesn't need to be leveled much. It's only used for healing the squishies in your area in case of an AoE, and their HP pool is low enough that level 2-3 is enough to heal them as long as they're not about to die. It's useful to USE, but shouldn't be leveled too high. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Mine was full mag build, +1 max refines and self crafted gear. I didn't farm with a health charm, and used 3 skills during grinding before AoE; Cyclone, plumeshot, and Ironheart blessing. Cyclone starter at max range, and back and forth between the skills. I would either kill before they reached me, or they would hit me once. I'd cast Ironheart once every 3-4 mobs, usually around 200 health or so. Being full mag, that one spell would heal me to max, and still leave some for the next mob which I'd already be attacking. Was fun doing this at the towers in swamp, as you learn mid-air evasion quickly if you don't like dieing :)

For mana, use apothecary. Either use the mp regen ones, or the 9k mana pots. Both are relatively cheap to craft for how much you gain from them, though mana food is very easy right now. Don't bother with Wellspring until you later on have more SP; actually needing it in a fight means you didn't properly plan out the fight (PvE). Learning to use all of ironheart's healing works alot better for long term. My wellspring and Blessing are both still lvl 1, and I never had problems in pvp or pve. Think people like wellspring so they can make a healing macro and not have to keep hitting one key.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    i likes taking aggro from archers in FB99 with plume shell on b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    First of all never listen to the noob thats telling you to have all your quests done by others. They just planted you the seed of noob. If you dont learn to solo these quests how on EARTH do you think youll gain enough SP to upgrade these skills. If you lacking huge in SP then this is part of the reason.
    Agreed whoever told you that must fail terribly. AND IS NOT A NOOB. no noob be that stupid. He/She making noobs like me look bad. D: They be what you call "mentally underdeveloped" me suggest you go keep your distance from them.

in lala land Lies me am here. (>.<)

Imagine yourself 10-20 lvls later, and ask yourself this: Are you willing to do grinding quests for others that are 10-20 lvls below you?
    yes me am willing. xD me tank BH29 for fun about once a day. T.T' it's gotten a lot more boring now that SP is a no pk zone.

I learned my group buffs like in later 60s. Honestly whoever is leaving you out because you dont have group buffs are noobies (even high lvls) who have been pampered silly. If i were a melee id be more worried about how a cleric heals and debuffs than a once-in-30min-buff Yep ability to heal and purify are all that matters. The buffs are only to make it easier on the cleric (more def = less hp loss) and to make things run slightly faster/cost less (the damage buffs & hp/mp regen.)

rawr~ rawr~ squeak squeak~ 10 char~
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    yes me am willing. xD me tank BH29 for fun about once a day. T.T' it's gotten a lot more boring now that SP is a no pk zone.

We had fun today QQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Why stand there and take the hits in the first place? Another thing that could help with dealing with damage from mobs is practicing attacking while running.
    Basically:
    1. cyclone, plume shot, cyclone
    2. run until you have enough room to use cyclone again before they get to you followed by
    3. cyclone again!
    4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until the mob dies.

You do have to pay a little attention to where you run so that you don't agro another mob in the process, but with a little practice, you won't get hit. And if worse comes to worse, you can still use ironheart or plume shell if you have nowhere to run.
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    We had fun today QQ

b:victory yep
    quinzi didn't stand a chance.
    xD
    gah me wuv sutra. (>.<)'
    it's like the instant steal aggro button. b:shocked lols~

also SunRiseWind it gets better 60+ when there are more magic mobs.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rst777
    rst777 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    SunriseWind, I am on heavens tear, feel free to ask me anything. I can usually help with quests here and there too. my clerics name is cardinalfang.
    everyone here has pretty much set the priorities up right.
    if it helps i also have 2 macros that make questing easy.
    first is for physical mobs cyc>plume>IB>cyc>plume>cyc>plume. I dont start IB first because its healing gets wasted.
    second is for magic mobs basically same as above without IB. it is usually not needed.
    you should be able to solo any quest except for bosses. when you need help with those let me know.
    always have any buffs you have on. they are just helpful.
    dotn stop to refill mp every fight. wait til you get real low then go into meditation and as soon as you come out of combat mode pop a mp pot.
    when you get double spark learn to use it right and you can go a long while without stopping.
  • SunriseWind - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Options
    thank you for all the input...i really DO appreciate it very much!

Been sick the last few days, so not had a lot of time to put into practise the ideas and suggestions. I think that it has helped a lot having the new stash box sword, and stacking a few IHs before hitting a mob with cyclone, etc, has been a big improvement. I still find that my magic charm is getting the bejeebers sucked out of it, just doing a handful of mobs, and that concerns me...cant afford to buy those often. I cant get over how anything could suck that hard on a gold charm at my level, but its definitly gone down to the point I will have to plug in a new one next time i play her.

what i do want to do with her is be a squad healer eventually, but trying to get what I need to hunt alone and help others isnt working out, and to say I am frustrated would be a vast understatement. I can keep a tank healed in things like quinzi easily, but cant do more than that. I'll try to take screencaps of my moves, and see if that gives youall a bit more to go on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~Emme Woodhull-B
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I agree with most of that - level plume/cyclone/ironheart for sure! ^^

I'd prioritise spirits gift and vanguard spirit buffs first. Magic shell is good but you can afford to level that slower because you should have decent magic defence already.

You can also get away with not leveling plume shell for a while which you really shouldnt be using during grinding/questing anyway. Dont forget to level your apoth to make mp regen stuff.
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    As everyone probably said... your most important skills are: plume shot -> cyclone -> Ironheart. If you have those three skills you're pretty much set. Even if your defense is ****, you can kite most mobs and not get hit yourself.

You should have spirit left over after that to level up your buffs. I think all of them are important. The guardian seal (regen) costs a buttload though so leave it behind if it gives you trouble.

If you pvp, plume shell and your sleep/seals will become important, along with wield thunder (but less so).
    If you mostly pve, I'd level your purify as a priority for yourself grinding on poison/burn types and for your tank against debuff bosses.

That's about it really. You have to do your quests yourself, or you'll be majorly lacking spirit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute